Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I think the thing that kind of gets overlooked (especially by people who didn't actually watch the video) is that the main focus was less on "cancel culture" and more on the fact that it's actually really hard to respond to criticism when it blows the gently caress up on Twitter because the nature of the platform and how fast it moves is not at all conducive to conversation.

Also: I'm not saying you have to like Ellis or anything, but if you're gonna post a hot take on her video or whatever you should probably actually watch the video. Like, saying "I'm not going to watch a 2 hour video" while also having really strong opinions about the video is kind of a weird look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think it is somewhat hyperbolic to get mad at people for laughing at a high effort post because of a word it contains, and that this thread is not the place to litigate what kind of posting is acceptable.

So I guess doubling down on an unfunny joke and using slurs is high effort now?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

I think the thing that kind of gets overlooked (especially by people who didn't actually watch the video) is that the main focus was less on "cancel culture" and more on the fact that it's actually really hard to respond to criticism when it blows the gently caress up on Twitter because the nature of the platform and how fast it moves is not at all conducive to conversation.

Also: I'm not saying you have to like Ellis or anything, but if you're gonna post a hot take on her video or whatever you should probably actually watch the video. Like, saying "I'm not going to watch a 2 hour video" while also having really strong opinions about the video is kind of a weird look?

The most offputting part of that video is the first part where she does talk about "cancel culture" broadly and it's coming from an obviously wounded, defensive position we've been primed to find annoying at this point. I don't know, it gives the whole thing an "informative video essay" vibe, with a thesis statement and all. And heck, I guess maybe it was since she's decided to do follow up appearances on podcasts over it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So I guess doubling down on an unfunny joke and using slurs is high effort now?

the joke is very funny, actually

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alaois posted:

the joke is very funny, actually

Acting like a weirdo saying you want to bang an underaged cartoon dog and saying slurs isn't funny, actually

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This feels like some kind of trap and/or self-fulfilling prophecy thing, but unlike most people who "complain about cancel culture", Lindsay actually took the time to properly define the term and analyze to what extent it exists and to what extent it is just used as an excuse to be horrible. I found it to be about as objective and informative as anyone could possibly be about a subject that's so volatile. If I could summarize her ultimate conclusion, it's that the people at risk of actually being "cancelled" are people who basically depend on Twitter for their livelihood, not actual celebrities, or people who will willingly ride the right-wing grift train, or pretty much anyone else. And I don't think she's wrong about that. Or even if she was, I still totally get how you would feel the need to respond to a mob of people gleefully bringing up all your past sins and gloating about how your life will be ruined. Like that's some really twisted stuff no matter what the outcome is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jamie Faith posted:

Acting like a weirdo saying you want to bang an underaged cartoon dog and saying slurs isn't funny, actually

No the bit that makes it funny is the absolute effort put forth into it.

KingKalamari posted:

But also I get getting about to about halfway into "The List of Crimes Lindsay Has Done" and checking out because some of that poo poo is absolutely harrowing and seeing the freaks that have stalked her for so long trying to get her canceled for some of them finally getting it over with a broader non-KF related crowd is just depressing. It's not an easy listen.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Aren't all the v-tubers adult women? Or are they actually pretending to be underage anime girls?

Anyway, he's just constructing elaborate bait posts to annoy people here and see if Junpei really will permaban him. He is really not worth getting upset about. And I say this as someone who was in special ed from late elementary and up through the end of high school, so yes I know how it can suck having people call you the r-word.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 29, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
props to cum (lol) for figuring out the apparent easy cheat code that instantly trolls the thread into submission. it shouldnt be this easy but there you go

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the inability for people even itt to never let any slight or attempt to annoy you go uncommented on is insightful to the "cancel culture" opinions i cant comprehend

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Some of them are adult men.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t understand the cum thing and I’m glad I don’t.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t understand the cum thing and I’m glad I don’t.

He wants to smooch a VTuber and will not allow oppressive mod regimes to stop him from saying it in this thread with increasingly elaborate fanart made specifically to annoy people who cannot just scroll by it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghostlight posted:

Some of them are adult men.

You're right, I'm being reductive here. I'm sure there's many fine fuckable adult anime catlads and even a few lovely gentlethems in the v-tuber pantheon.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The post is kinda funny

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He wants to smooch a VTuber and will not allow oppressive mod regimes to stop him from saying it in this thread with increasingly elaborate fanart made specifically to annoy people who cannot just scroll by it.

hes literally just trying and succeeding at pushing your buttons. its not complicated

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there good Vtubers who speak normally rather than using a persona-mandated high pitch cutesy voice.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there good Vtubers who speak normally rather than using a persona-mandated high pitch cutesy voice.

watch out if you say this that one guy who keeps posting them in here will get hella mad and accuse you of being racist bc he thinks people talk with the cadence of anime characters irl

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some of the dudes do a deep pitched handsome voice instead.

fun hater posted:

hes literally just trying and succeeding at pushing your buttons. its not complicated

Yeah that's what I said!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, a lot. Big fan of Calliope Mori myself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Want to watch an anime man who sounds like Norio Wakamoto talk about how poo poo all his gacha pulls are.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Do any vtubers do the Japanese Goku voice

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think one of the DBZA guys is a vtuber now.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Solar Tornado posted:

I don't think the "she should've just said nothing" is entirely valid because she probably didn't expect it to cascade as far as it did. She probably thought that replying to her critique will be just another humdrum.

the thing she said was completely reasonable and she was right to make fun of the people trying to smear her

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Farm Frenzy posted:

the thing she said was completely reasonable and she was right to make fun of the people trying to smear her

No it wasn't, because she couldn't even site journey to the west. Then she doubled down using terrible word choices you would think a published author would know to avoid. She could've easily said sorry, but she decided to monetize her bullshit as a smokescreen and it seems to be working.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

bushisms.txt posted:

she decided to monetize her bullshit

She... did?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

No it wasn't, because she couldn't even site journey to the west. Then she doubled down using terrible word choices you would think a published author would know to avoid. She could've easily said sorry, but she decided to monetize her bullshit as a smokescreen and it seems to be working.

Thanks for doing exactly what I was talking about earlier.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

the inability for people even itt to never let any slight or attempt to annoy you go uncommented on is insightful to the "cancel culture" opinions i cant comprehend

everyone knows that the way to get someone to stop trolling you is to repeatedly say that their trolling actually isn't funny, at all really. seriously.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

fun hater posted:

watch out if you say this that one guy who keeps posting them in here will get hella mad and accuse you of being racist bc he thinks people talk with the cadence of anime characters irl

The voices are actually, at least to a degree, put upon for the bit. A few vtubers have had to tone it down because the pitch was getting too hard to maintain.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my favorite vtuber is maki itoh

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alaois posted:

everyone knows that the way to get someone to stop trolling you is to repeatedly say that their trolling actually isn't funny, at all really. seriously.

I don't expect any troll to stop because we asked them too. I expect the mods to just ban them.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

I don't expect any troll to stop because we asked them too. I expect the mods to just ban them.

We have a dedicated subforum for such questions, comments, and suggestions.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alaois posted:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

please do not post in qcs about how you are being trolled by user "cum" regarding the 3d dog lady

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

please post in qcs about how you are being trolled by user "cum" regarding a 3d dog lady.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

two wolves fight inside you...

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

fun hater posted:

please do not post in qcs about how you are being trolled by user "cum" regarding the 3d dog lady

I would never go to qcs, tis a silly place

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

don't act like that would be the most embarrassing thing to post in qcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fun hater posted:

two wolves fight inside you...

Didn't realize we were bringing the OmegaVerse into this.