Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Anne Whateley posted:

Honestly I don't get why the scientists who developed them aren't being treated like astronauts in the '60s.

I've been comparing these vaccines to the moon landing since last year. It's very apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
AZ coming out of leftfield as the mythical 'third' dose?? Would the same be true for the mRNA vaccines as well, but this study came out first?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Anne Whateley posted:

Honestly I don't get why the scientists who developed them aren't being treated like astronauts in the '60s. I don't think I've ever even seen an interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/57642853

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Anne Whateley posted:

Honestly I don't get why the scientists who developed them aren't being treated like astronauts in the '60s. I don't think I've ever even seen an interview.

The two Turkish-German inventors of the Pfizer vaccines are the pride of the Turkish-German community like you couldn’t possibly comprehend

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

A concerning amount of people think the scientists are trying to make them part of Bill Gates' Chinese 5g Army, plus the scientists probably don't have haircuts you can set your watch to.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Imagine someone from a racial minority in the US inventing a nobel price worthy vaccine to have an analogy to what this approximates for those groups

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"The only science I believe in is the science that created these amazing new 3-D Doritos with extra flavor blasts." - roughly 30% of the US.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I live in NYC so I heard plenty of banging on pots for OUR FRONTLINE HEROES. I just feel like it's weird that there's not Mercury astronaut–level coverage of the teams who created the vaccines, like why are they not on Wheaties boxes and chatting about their favorite music with Ellen and posing for action figures. I hope they are in Germany at least!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

I live in NYC so I heard plenty of banging on pots for OUR FRONTLINE HEROES. I just feel like it's weird that there's not Mercury astronaut–level coverage of the teams who created the vaccines, like why are they not on Wheaties boxes and chatting about their favorite music with Ellen and posing for action figures

I'm gonna assume nobody gets into microbiology for the fame.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Anne Whateley posted:

I live in NYC so I heard plenty of banging on pots for OUR FRONTLINE HEROES. I just feel like it's weird that there's not Mercury astronaut–level coverage of the teams who created the vaccines, like why are they not on Wheaties boxes and chatting about their favorite music with Ellen and posing for action figures. I hope they are in Germany at least!

The Mercury and Apollo missions, as well as the comparable Soviet programs, were very explicitly meant as public image/media campaigns for their respective nations. Doing PR and making the Astronauts/Cosmonauts into celebrities was an important part of the mission objective. Now, maybe that is something that we should have considered to help bolster the images of the vaccines among the public, but we're kinda past that point now.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

LanceHunter posted:

The Mercury and Apollo missions, as well as the comparable Soviet programs, were very explicitly meant as public image/media campaigns for their respective nations. Doing PR and making the Astronauts/Cosmonauts into celebrities was an important part of the mission objective. Now, maybe that is something that we should have considered to help bolster the images of the vaccines among the public, but we're kinda past that point now.

we don't have to be past that point

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

unfortunately, the one public figure who could influence the most vaccine-resistant audience to change their mind deliberately got vaccinated under cover of darkness

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Anne Whateley posted:

The Pfizer (actually BioNTech) vaccine creators are Turkish-German and there at least can do no wrong. The lady in charge of the Oxford vaccine research is staggeringly dull and doesn't make for good TV and the Moderna structure is messy and hard to find an individual to elevate. Plus nobody wants to mention Moderna took 2.5 billion dollars of public funds and still priced their vaccine the highest in the world.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

oldskool posted:

unfortunately, the one public figure who could influence the most vaccine-resistant audience to change their mind deliberately got vaccinated under cover of darkness

And did everything to make it look like his case wasn't serious when he was panicking like crazy . Then, after he recovered, told everybody it wasn't that bad and don't let it run your life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1409548161274810375?s=21

England had a massive anti lockdown protest this weekend as well. Obviously no one was wearing a mask because it was outside.

Also this is one way to deal with people not getting the jab lol

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1409557065610240002?s=21

Tbf I have not seen any numbers as to their vaccination rates.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

It was all perfotmative at best. I forgot about the pots and pans but I didn't forget my car getting vandalized after going into a store in my scrubs after work, or the people set up across from the hospital blaming us for creating and spreading it and experimenting on people under the guise of covid.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think many loons would/could travel to Germany when Fauci is right here and not remotely shy

Did you not see what happened to the Belgian Fauci equivalent? The US has been exporting brain worms worldwide at an alarming rate

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57168576.amp

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1409613852933705730?s=21

So sucks about cases going up but great news about hospitalizations.

It’s going to be interesting to see how things go there because if poo poo goes really south there it’s only a matter of time till it hits the rest of us.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Anne Whateley posted:

There are two separate one hour documentaries on BBC iplayer. One is about the Astra Zenica / Oxford vaccine, and the other is a more general one.
Both are great. The AZ one has a lot of focus on the people who made it. I found it quite moving tbh. Not what I expected, but really, really good.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Awoke this morning to the news that a third capital city is now in lockdown. AZ is being made available to anyone over the age of 18 now.

poo poo is getting very real, very fast.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1409613852933705730?s=21

It’s going to be interesting to see how things go there because if poo poo goes really south there it’s only a matter of time till it hits the rest of us.

My understanding is Israel has quite a large young population so I would expect them to be stuck with a lot of people who don't want to because they are young or cannot get the vaccine due to being too young.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

MarcusSA posted:

Israel is already reintroducing NPI making comparison to the US largely pointless imo.

How about the UK?

Lag indicators starting to climb..

Scotland having a real one.
https://twitter.com/BristOliver/status/1409241201987960837

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That looks... bad?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blitter posted:

Israel is already reintroducing NPI making comparison to the US largely pointless imo.

What does NPI mean in this instance?

The point I was attempting to make is that Israel make indoor masks mandatory again and if things start to spike there after all they’ve done we definitely don’t have a chance. Specifically talking about hospitalizations.

If they remain low but cases go up that would mean things are working as they should.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MarcusSA posted:

What does NPI mean in this instance?

The point I was attempting to make is that Israel make indoor masks mandatory again and if things start to spike there after all they’ve done we definitely don’t have a chance. Specifically talking about hospitalizations.

If they remain low but cases go up that would mean things are working as they should.

NPI = non pharmaceutical interventions, aka stuff other than vaccines like requiring masks, restrictions on activities/events/gatherings, etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gohuskies posted:

NPI = non pharmaceutical interventions, aka stuff other than vaccines like requiring masks, restrictions on activities/events/gatherings, etc.

Got it.

It will be interesting to see if that levels things off then.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That looks... bad?

It's good actually

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OK, thank god for that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Awoke this morning to the news that a third capital city is now in lockdown. AZ is being made available to anyone over the age of 18 now.

poo poo is getting very real, very fast.

We'll be back to normal in a month but this better make people pull their fingers out and try to get vaxxed.

I'm going to try to get AZ through my GP but fully expect it to be a fool's errand. It's all well and good to say the under-40s are eligible for it but we kinda need, uh, more.

edit - lol OK that was easy I just rang my GP and they answered straight away and booked me in for Friday

freebooter fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 29, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

We'll be back to normal in a month but this better make people pull their fingers out and try to get vaxxed.

I'm going to try to get AZ through my GP but fully expect it to be a fool's errand. It's all well and good to say the under-40s are eligible for it but we kinda need, uh, more.

edit - lol OK that was easy I just rang my GP and they answered straight away and booked me in for Friday

Yeah, we have a ton of AZ and a military mind is now in charge of distributing it.

What's weird is that a week ago doctors were cancelling weekend vaccination clinics because the demand wasn't there. I expect they'll be swamped now.

I'm booked for my second dose next Monday.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The demand wasn't there among paranoid boomers (the Good Boomers having already been vaccinated) but there'll be a huge amount of demand among the under-40s. Everybody my age that I know would have happily taken the AZ months ago if it were available to them.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Purgatory Glory posted:

My understanding is Israel has quite a large young population so I would expect them to be stuck with a lot of people who don't want to because they are young or cannot get the vaccine due to being too young.

I'm still surprised they plateaued so low after the insane speed of their early vaccination campaign. Sub-60% is pretty dire.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
19 new cases for NSW. I don't like the chances of that being down to zero by Friday next week.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lolie posted:

19 new cases for NSW. I don't like the chances of that being down to zero by Friday next week.

It'll disappear, like a miracle

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

My concern is that rather than cop the lockdown weeks it requires to get down to zero, NSW will open up again around 10-15 because their government seems fine with just having a constant low burn of COVID, in contradiction to what every other state and territory in the country aims for.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

freebooter posted:

My concern is that rather than cop the lockdown weeks it requires to get down to zero, NSW will open up again around 10-15 because their government seems fine with just having a constant low burn of COVID, in contradiction to what every other state and territory in the country aims for.

As we've said before: this is the new normal. Get used to it, it ain't going away. Get your vaccine and move on with life.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

How are u posted:

As we've said before: this is the new normal. Get used to it, it ain't going away. Get your vaccine and move on with life.

Not everyone is some witless asshat like you, blindly embracing your for profit death cult.

Perhaps you should learn from your betters and shut the gently caress up about what other people do, in other countries?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Is it rude in here, or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How are u posted:

you're the reason I'll be doing funerals until someone like you kills me because my garbage body allows a breakthrough case to nail me to a wall.

thanks for that.