Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Woo! I don't have anything smart or insightful to add but I am happy for this Geofront and Zero news.

Woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The announced games have showed up on Steam with the correct release dates. Its not epic only.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That's some great news, and while I'll likely buy them again when they come out on Steam, I'm glad that I grabbed the Geofront files when I could, because I don't want to wait a year and a half.

Unrelated, I just finished the Capua Delivery Service minigame in 3rd and survived on my first attempt with 3% health left. Yikes.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I wasn’t going to stay up and wait
for the announcement but I’m super excited this morning because I specifically wanted these on switch.

Hell yeah.

I will now go back to occasionally lurking this thread because I still have like 4 Trails of games to finish and I don’t want to accidentally read spoilers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It being on the switch is the best part yeah.

Now bring the Sky and first two CS and we are there

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I guess my question is why late 2022 then? What takes so long when they're 90% of the way there?

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess my question is why late 2022 then? What takes so long when they're 90% of the way there?

Probably so they can give it an editing pass from NISA and make sure it works on consoles. Also financial bull poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

J Detan posted:

Probably so they can give it an editing pass from NISA and make sure it works on consoles. Also financial bull poo poo.

I suppose also getting them to the printers for consoles for physical editions?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can't just copy and paste the script onto the PS4 and Switch versions and hey presto! Lol

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
For one, the entire script will need to be transplanted. Since the patch literally hacked the new script into the old game, Geofront most likely didn't have a script template in the exact format NISA would require. It's a huge script too. Also, an entire editing pass will need to be done by NISA's team, just as an additional quality control check, though that one I don't think will take too long given Geofront's own internal testing. Also, PC and Switch ports for the games must be developed and tested since NISA won't be using Joyoland's PC versions. All in all, there's still a decent amount of work to be done.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sakurazuka posted:

You can't just copy and paste the script onto the PS4 and Switch versions and hey presto! Lol

Maybe you can't:smug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

set console.ps4(true)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

consoles yet again holding PCs back smdh

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The JDK Band concert from the stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idMYR3TvQhY

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hey this news is super freaking cool. Even a game I'd never heard of is being translated. Ya love to see it.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually you can people did it for the Switch version in like two months after those versions came out.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The most arduous part is the translating and editing, not sure how long Zero and Azure’s scripts are compared to the massive SC one. Luckily the translating is mostly done. NISA will go through it themselves and also put it into a format that Falcom uses when it also goes through it (this caused a huge delay for SC) and of course tons of testing.

And NISA has other games on its timetable through 2021, heck its like 6 months between Ys9s ps4 release and the switch/pc version alone.

I bet they’ll have Zero and Azure done at nearly the same time they just wont release them for financial/marketing reasons. Hajimari/Reverie will be its own project, about the size of CSIV in scope, gotta score a decent amount of new VAs and hopefully secure the previous ones if theyre available.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

infraboy posted:

The most arduous part is the translating and editing, not sure how long Zero and Azure’s scripts are compared to the massive SC one. Luckily the translating is mostly done. NISA will go through it themselves and also put it into a format that Falcom uses when it also goes through it (this caused a huge delay for SC) and of course tons of testing.

And NISA has other games on its timetable through 2021, heck its like 6 months between Ys9s ps4 release and the switch/pc version alone.

I bet they’ll have Zero and Azure done at nearly the same time they just wont release them for financial/marketing reasons. Hajimari/Reverie will be its own project, about the size of CSIV in scope, gotta score a decent amount of new VAs and hopefully secure the previous ones if theyre available.

I just really hope that Hajimari isn't as stiff as CS3.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
2 more years without a new Trails game just makes me sad despite all the good news.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

IceBorg posted:

2 more years without a new Trails game just makes me sad despite all the good news.

Two years off and then four games in a little over a year Lol

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

After finishing the Geofront Zero and Azure translations, I replayed CS1 and 2 before finally getting to 3 (I had put off starting until I had played crossbell). I'm nearing the end and... Dang, the quality of the transition is so much lower that xseed. Much of the dialogue is stilted and unnatural sounding. Coming directly off of CS2, everything just feels...wooden by comparison. It's really distracting! Is CS4 any better, or does it look like we're doomed to sub-par trails translations from here on out?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Depends on the character, really. It's probably closer to CS3 than it is CS2, but some characters (Ash, Duvalie, etc) read better than others.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Depends on the character, really. It's probably closer to CS3 than it is CS2, but some characters (Ash, Duvalie, etc) read better than others.

This is something I've noticed, too. Ash (and Duvalie, now that you mention it) never felt "off" in the way that say....Emma or other more "straight-forward" characters sometimes have.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
CS4 is a stronger localization. Though don’t think it gets to Xseed levels

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

lagidnam posted:

The JDK Band concert from the stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idMYR3TvQhY

Hot drat that performance of Sunshine Coastline is good as hell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cs3's tl has ups and downs honestly, a lot of the early stuff isnt great but it gets a lot better as it goes.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
It kinda stinks that they didn't have Rean have extra voice lines like in CS 1/2. Weird when only one person is voiced in a conversation.

Also Ash and Rean have one of the most aggressive high fives I seen.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So more on the Ys side of falcom, I've had more free time lately than I would've liked, so I've been playing through all of Ys. Chronologically. With the only exclusions being 1+2 since I don't care for the bump&grind gameplay, and 5 since from what I'm aware, it's pretty rough. (though admittedly that's like, 1/3rd of the series excluded so :v:) I've made it up through Seven so far, which I played about 20 hours of before putting down and just kinda never picking back up.

I don't think I'm gonna do anything dumb like a big writeup for each game or anything but overall, the only games that I've yet to enjoy the whole way through are Napishtim (there's a lot of rough stuff in there, even if I did enjoy the larger lore reveals it had) and a lot of the boss fights in Seven (it feels like every single boss fight takes forever, with just massive walls of hp to grind through, which I didn't really feel was an issue in the later party-based games).

ngl, I'm a little sad that all i have left to finish is nox, i almost hate to think of it ending, it's been a lot of fun

Edit: oh, right, i haven't finished tits:sc yet, but something tells me trying to shotgun that franchise might actually kill me :suicide:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 29, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
adol christin will return

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Which will come first: the remake of Ys 5 or Ys 10

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Well I finished CS3.

Hey.

Hey.

What the gently caress.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Sounds like my reaction to the end of CS1, lol

Can’t wait til I get to the third game

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TooManyUzukis posted:

Well I finished CS3.

Hey.

Hey.

What the gently caress.

TO BE CONTINUED

At least you don't have to wait for the conclusion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TooManyUzukis posted:

Well I finished CS3.

Hey.

Hey.

What the gently caress.

Well you see,

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

I'm lucky in that I've never played a Trails duology (excepting Crossbell, which has no cliffhanger) without the second part already being available. One day, I will know the pain of the forever-wait. I can't even imagine what people who played FC while SC was stuck in limbo felt.

I think I'd give CS3's translation a...C+. I'm probably a little harsher on it than is fair because of the high standard Xseed set. Trails is a localization company's worst nightmare. I can't deny that unnatural and stilted dialogue took me out of it a couple of times, though. At best it's inconsistent: there are long periods where everything feels very natural. Then everyone reverts to variations of "That's...", "that man," and weird-rear end sentence structure. I suppose the inconsistency implies it's more a function of time than carelessness, at least.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If we’re going to post our WHAT THE gently caress moments, though, I just got to the point in CS2 where Celdic is burned down on Jusis’ Dad’s orders.

Now that was a WTF moment to me

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

If we’re going to post our WHAT THE gently caress moments, though, I just got to the point in CS2 where Celdic is burned down on Jusis’ Dad’s orders.

As someone who obsessively reads all NPC dialogue, that poo poo hit me harder than most I think. No other series makes you care about NPCs nearly as much!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

TooManyUzukis posted:

As someone who obsessively reads all NPC dialogue, that poo poo hit me harder than most I think. No other series makes you care about NPCs nearly as much!

Oh same here!

Talking with one NPC during that when they mentioned the Market Manager Otto, I was with Rean being like “Oh no… don’t tell me…”, immediately ran to his house, and had the gut punch of walking to what was basically his funeral :smith:

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 29, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

TooManyUzukis posted:

I'm lucky in that I've never played a Trails duology (excepting Crossbell, which has no cliffhanger) without the second part already being available. One day, I will know the pain of the forever-wait. I can't even imagine what people who played FC while SC was stuck in limbo felt.

It was actual hell waiting 3 years with no clue if it was coming out. Looking back on how close we were just to never getting it makes my blood run cold. Praise Space Drake for setting its Localization into motion.

I also got hit with CS1 and CS3 lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

I'm currently at the tail end of both Azure and CSII so by the time I'm through all that and III And IV as well as potential New Game +s I imagine Trails of Reverie will be on deck for release. I've kind of just started playing the Legend of Heroes games last year in February when Covid started up and blasted through Sky 1-3 in about a year and have been playing Zero/Azure/CS/CSII and their weird crossover timeline since about last April so there's been virtually no down time for me and the series yet.

SgtSteel91 posted:

The thing that intrigued me kind of is when I realized that The kid Jake that was mercilessly teasing the one girl who I think was named Suzy for the better part of two games actually clearly had a little kid crush on her and did the whole classic push her out of the way of falling debris and take the hit thing when I had kind of thought it was just a whole boys being boys thing.

Anyway that part instantly qualified Duke Albarea for official worst trails dad status, which wasn't hard cause the vast majority of them like Elliot, Rean, Laura and Estelle's dads pretty much rock. Even Marquis Rogner who they seemed to be building up to be a douchebag at the end of CSI turned out to be a somewhat honorable guy in the long run that was just old school stubborn as gently caress and waiting for his daughter to come and beat his rear end out of a bad traditional military alliance gig so he'd have an official reason to pull out. Like gotta fulfill this noble house obligation to join the alliance, but not feeling any glory in oppressing people and lying to them, but also not gonna quit either also because of honor unless obligated to by losing a duel so gonna hold up in my fort and contribute nothing until she comes looking for a fight.

Basically the two lower ranking Marquis heads of the four great houses (Patrick and Angelica's fathers) seem like alright guys, while the two highest ranking Dukes are pieces of poo poo.

I liked that even Duvalie was pretty much disgusted with Duke Albarea and wanted to be the one to execute him for his bullshit.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 29, 2021