Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
With the covid stuff, if ninety percent of people get vaccinated will the pandemic go away? Does anyone know what kind of timescale that will be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Crankit posted:

With the covid stuff, if ninety percent of people get vaccinated will the pandemic go away? Does anyone know what kind of timescale that will be?

Pretty much yeah but unfortunately we will probably never hit 90% in the US. Still with the likely vaccination ceiling of 60-70% or so it will become a nasty endemic disease but not a catastrophic pandemic anymore. Timescale is like, now-ish in many US states, probably a year or a few in a lot of other countries.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We've already seen variants that have some ability to escape the vaccines we have. If we get something that's even better at that, then we might be looking at some serious backsliding. As I understand it there are reasons to think that that's unlikely, but it's not a sure thing.

Also keep in mind that while the overall US vaccination rate is middling at best, that varies a lot from location to location. There are places where the vast majority of people have the vaccine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Do TV meteorologists get the same meteorology degree as like, people who work for NOAA? Are they separate programs?

They are in fact the same degree according to my wife who went to school for meteorology at Penn State.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

She paid for a bunch of fancy cookies on the joint account, and wants to give a quarter of them to her friend. I offered to pay for the ones that aren't going to her friend.
This is where your problem lies. A joint account is shared property. She didn't pay for them, you both did. You can't pay for them now because you both already paid for them. If you can't see that, you shouldn't have a joint account.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I'm admittedly terrible at math but she seems to see the joint account as somehow no one's money and doesn't count.

See there’s your flaw:
You’re bad at math AND you need to have a discussion about what the joint account is for.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Okay math nerds, please help me out with a financial dispute with my wife.

We both have personal bank accounts and a single joint account where we deposit 80% of our income every pay day, which is roughly the same amount.

She paid for a bunch of fancy cookies on the joint account, and wants to give a quarter of them to her friend. I offered to pay for the ones that aren't going to her friend. The total was $40. She's going to deposit $10 into the joint account to cover her friend. Would I deposit $30 into the joint account even though the original purchase is 50% my money, which means I already paid $20 (50%)? Or would I pay $10 to cover the $30?

I'm admittedly terrible at math but she seems to see the joint account as somehow no one's money and doesn't count.
Is $40 worth destroying your marriage over? Take $40 out of your personal checking account and deposit it into the joint account. Problem solved. Treat your wife's friend to some cookies, and she can pay for dinner sometime. I do recommend that you sit down with your spouse and come up with a list of approved expenses for the joint account. Explain that there will be no exceptions, at least without approval from both parties involved. If needed, hire a lawyer to put the document together so next time she makes an unauthorized purchase, you can really bring her to the cleaners.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
sever, delete the lawyer, hit the facebook, gym up. only solution to math problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But where did the bellhop’s tip come from?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Bioshuffle posted:

Is $40 worth destroying your marriage over?

How much would it take to destroy your marriage?
I’d be willing to destroy your marriage for absolutely free

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

For a serious evaluation of the cookie question - let's imagine you're co-owners of a business, and a personal purchase is accidentally made on the business card. $40 needs to be put back into the account, one party wants to cover 1/4, the other will cover 3/4. You pay $30.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wtf kind of cookies are so fancy that a box of them costs $40

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Earwicker posted:

wtf kind of cookies are so fancy that a box of them costs $40

So many people are caught up on the math that they're missing this part of the equation. The math doesn't matter people. WAKE UP.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

It’s the ultimate bourgeois affectation: asking strangers on the internet about how much your partner ought to pay for the 40 dollar cookies you can easily afford while completely blind spotting the existential void that is your life.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Should I get a cat? My coworker's cat just had kittens and she's offering them. I live alone, and work full time. I brought the idea up to my mom and she said it's a terrible idea because it won't be fair to the cat since I'd be away so much and it's a lot of work. I've had a cat and a dog before when I lived at home so I'm well aware of the responsibilities and you know, the fact that I'm a 30 year old adult. I know a pet is a big responsibility and that's why I'm so hesitant

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

You'd be better off with one chill adult, not a kitten. Kittens are too full of energy to manage even when at home full-time unless you know what you're doing and/or are willing to get two so they tire each other out.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

You'd be better off with one chill adult, not a kitten. Kittens are too full of energy to manage even when at home full-time unless you know what you're doing and/or are willing to get two so they tire each other out.

Seconded. I adopted a 7 year old cat and he is the Lord of Chill and doesn’t destroy my stuff and knows where to poop.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
That makes sense, thanks

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Adopt a bonded pair of adult cats, they're harder two adopt out, two cats is really not much more effort than one and they'll play with each other so they don't get bored.

Cats sleep all day and are mostly active during morning and evening so they're fine for people who work full time.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does Namor geass sea creatures like Aquaman?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Should I put down ADD as a disability in my job application when asked to self-identify any disabilities I have? I do legitimately have it, with a formal diagnosis and treatment plan from a neurologist. I looked it up and ADD does qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act, but I didn't do this at my last job and I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

Should I put down ADD as a disability in my job application when asked to self-identify any disabilities I have? I do legitimately have it, with a formal diagnosis and treatment plan from a neurologist. I looked it up and ADD does qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act, but I didn't do this at my last job and I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Do you need accommodations to do your work?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

DildenAnders posted:

Do you feel having ADD affects your functioning in such a way that it is necessary for an employer to know? Would knowing allow an employer to create a beter working environment for you?
Unless you would answer those questions with Yes, do not share medical information with potential future employers

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Get the kitten. Kittens are awesome and fun and you'll have a good time with one while it's little which you'll need to remind yourself of when it's big and you want to destroy it because it's being a dick.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
It's pretty well managed with medication and the doctor so I just declined to provide that info. And yeah definitley good point on not sharing medical info with employers, thanks.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Glad to read you made that decision. Good luck on getting that job!

I have ADD myself, and in the few cases where I divulged that information to my employer it always came back to bite me in the rear end.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Get the kitten. Kittens are awesome and fun and you'll have a good time with one while it's little which you'll need to remind yourself of when it's big and you want to destroy it because it's being a dick.

Are you kidding, kittens are 1000% more dickish than adult cats. They don't stop and they don't understand how pointy they are and everything everywhere is a game.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

Are you kidding, kittens are 1000% more dickish than adult cats. They don't stop and they don't understand how pointy they are and everything everywhere is a game.

I could never get mad at my kitten no matter how many tiny puncture wounds he gave me

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I like to make overnight oats using chocolate almond milk. However, I would like to switch from almond milk to oat milk. Basically every oat milk recipe basically just describes soaked oat water. So like... is there any reason I couldn't just make overnight oats... with water? :psyduck: Adding oat milk to oats seems unnecessary, especially if I'm making my own oat milk. But making overnight oats with water feels like some Ned Flanders poo poo.

Also every chocolate oat milk recipe I've found is trash because it assumes I'm trying to be a healthy vegan instead of a cheapskate sugar gremlin so if anyone knows a recipe that's actually good please point me in that direction.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Everett False posted:

I like to make overnight oats using chocolate almond milk. However, I would like to switch from almond milk to oat milk. Basically every oat milk recipe basically just describes soaked oat water. So like... is there any reason I couldn't just make overnight oats... with water? :psyduck: Adding oat milk to oats seems unnecessary, especially if I'm making my own oat milk. But making overnight oats with water feels like some Ned Flanders poo poo.

Also every chocolate oat milk recipe I've found is trash because it assumes I'm trying to be a healthy vegan instead of a cheapskate sugar gremlin so if anyone knows a recipe that's actually good please point me in that direction.

Oat milk is made from oats that have been crushed, soaked in water, heated, and treated with enzymes.
This process extracts a lot of nutrients that would remain unavailable if you’d just soak oats in water. So without ever having made overnight oats myself, I’m pretty sure using oat milk will give a different result from using water.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Everett False posted:

These recipes for overnight oats have water as the first/best option:

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/284832/the-best-way-to-make-overnight-oats-no-recipe-required/

Here’s a chocolate overnight oats recipe that suggests replacing the milk with water:

https://chelsweets.com/chocolate-overnight-oats/

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I've been doing a bit of tutoring for a company called ClubZ, and a cursory googlr search doesn't turn up too much about them. Does anyone know if they're predatory/horrible in some ways? For what it's worth, I haven't had anything even close to a problem yet, just wondering if I'm somehow contributing to some lovely company without realizing it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I got a green Theraband a year or so ago when doing PT, and when I put it away in a drawer when I finished PT, I accidentally left it knotted. Fast forward to today… when I went to use it, it was all brittle around the knot and snapped without much pressure at all. The rest of the band seems fine.

What’s up with that?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

smackfu posted:

I got a green Theraband a year or so ago when doing PT, and when I put it away in a drawer when I finished PT, I accidentally left it knotted. Fast forward to today… when I went to use it, it was all brittle around the knot and snapped without much pressure at all. The rest of the band seems fine.

What’s up with that?

The knotted part has been under tension all this time, allowing the stretchy molecules to slowly relax into a newer, shittier configuration

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

alnilam posted:

The knotted part has been under tension all this time, allowing the stretchy molecules to slowly relax into a newer, shittier configuration

I'm sure there is an analogy about constantly sitting in front of computers here somewhere.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is this a thing I can do in google sheets? (Or if someone could help me recreate the script in excel, could I do this in excel.)

So in this sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16wCsVT_2NLWEZGCS3erdFFL9lDieQ6xxZYCE88fFI5E/edit?usp=sharing

I have a bunch of encounters copy pasted from the compendium in DND 4e, to cells in google sheets, I then have a script to the far right, that looks for certain keywords in the script and changes it to roll code for roll 20. It does this dynamically, and while there are some bugs with it, it works for what I need.

This is the script: https://pastebin.com/tFiAxbNw

What I'd like to add as a functionality, is either by whether or not a cell is bold, or maybe by color, or some other appropriate signifier get it to add "/me " before the move names. This would make the text before the attack appear bright orange, as my players sometimes loses attacks because of the way roll20 will concatenate a set of rolls made together. What is a good way to get this sheet to do that, either with inline code, or maybe a google script, or an excel script, if someone can teach me how to recreate the google sheets find replace script in excel.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is Mad Max crazy Max or angry Max?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mescal posted:

Is Mad Max crazy Max or angry Max?

It's Australian so I always assumed the former. By the end of the first film he definitely could be said to be both though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think Mel Gibson's Mad Max is the latter, then the former. The Tom Hardy version is definitely the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I forgot to put the cap back on on my fuel canister after I refueled my lawn mower. Must have been sitting there without a cap for at least a day. Is the gas in there still good? If it's not, what's the proper way to dispose of it?