Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nonsense posted:

This seems concerning towards anybody who is trying to counter reactionaries, regardless of Glenn's take.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1409536609381400579?s=20

At least Taibbi gets it and isn't gloating like a little piggie.

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1409585084517130256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Munin posted:

He didn't have to choose to make himself fully on-topic for this thread, but he did.

Yeah, I mean is he really a derail for this thread at this stage? Isn't he just part of the topic?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I mean is he really a derail for this thread at this stage? Isn't he just part of the topic?

I'd personally say that Glenn Greenwald is very much Right Wing Media, but that's just my opinion. But if it turns into arguing about Glenn himself, we have a thread for that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CommieGIR posted:

I'd personally say that Glenn Greenwald is very much Right Wing Media, but that's just my opinion. But if it turns into arguing about Glenn himself, we have a thread for that.
Pretty sure that thread was closed months ago

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure that thread was closed months ago

Ah, if it is, then unless it drags the topic off too far (and we'll determine when that is) Glenn Greenwald is fair game.

If it sufficiently derails, I'll ask it moved to its own topic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

At this point GG is absolutely now RWM. He tries to pretend he's not, but he's embraced the alt-right pretty much completely now.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Nonsense posted:

This seems concerning towards anybody who is trying to counter reactionaries, regardless of Glenn's take.

Ah, got my censorships mixed up. Never expect a right winger to add 2 and 2 and get 4. It's always 17 or something while they claim they multiplied it instead

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 28, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile China forcibly closed a newspaper in Hong Kong and just arrested one of their former reporters at an airport but Glenn has, unsurprisingly, said nothing about it. Which tells you all you need to know about how he really feels about press freedom.

Besides if he concentrated on that where would he find the time to continue to attack AOC with mysoginist terms?

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1409198083389394960

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently the alleged reason is because they are reposting right-wing videos with no added content? I don't know if that's fully true though. It's definitely stupid because YouTube doesn't like to touch a lot of the Steven Crowder types because they don't want to deal with the backlash.

Speaking of YouTube, I still think it's bizarre how much Tucker Carlson and RWM poo poo I get in my suggestions. I don't track my history, don't watch any of that poo poo, mark some of them as "gently caress off" but even when I'm watching some movie nerd review Phantom of the Paradise or some poo poo, there's Hannity over there on the right hand side waiting to tell me some stupid bullshit.

If y/t is censoring these people and right wing ideology in general, it's not working. I can't think of a logical reason why this stuff is getting signal boosted like it is, especially on my profile.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

They aren't mad kids are being indoctrinated. They're mad that they aren't the ones doing it. Never forget that.

I caught a form of this type of shade from my conservative and his wife when I was young and went off to college. All my life, all I heard was that I HAD to go to college and how important and vital it was. Then I go and learn some poo poo and all I hear at Xmas dinner or whatever is "that's that liberal college bullshit messing up your mind". I suppose I probably had a touch of that smug freshman know it all attitude happening but I still thought it was weird. Like, "oh. You mean the college you insisted I attend?"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 28, 2021

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

Meanwhile China forcibly closed a newspaper in Hong Kong and just arrested one of their former reporters at an airport but Glenn has, unsurprisingly, said nothing about it. Which tells you all you need to know about how he really feels about press freedom.

Besides if he concentrated on that where would he find the time to continue to attack AOC with mysoginist terms?

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1409198083389394960

I live in Minneapolis and apparently I should've been shot to pieces a dozen times by now according to media.

"Hysterical" is a loaded term, but it fits the coverage.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i remember liking Glenn, then i remember that day i read something of his and i was like "This feels ... off, exactly what happened here"

then i remember reading something Glenn wrote a while after that and feeling like i must have hallucinated that Glenn was the left wing activist source i thought he was and i absolutely MUST have been thinking of someone else who wasn't this contrarian weirdo crank

now i read practically anything he writes and i'm just like just give him a fox news show with Tulsi Gabbard already, this is obviously where it's going

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Tonight, Tucker was going on about how a whistleblower told him that the NSA is spying on him and his show. He said that we’re going to leak something to get him taken off air.

It sounds like Tucker is trying to get ahead of some damaging news but now I just had the wonderful thought that Glenn is the one who leaked it to the press (as he did with the Tucker tells all the Fox News gossip to CNN) in order to take over his show.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Of course Tucker never mentioned a word about how Trumps DOJ was spying on upwards of 20 of his 'enemies'.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1409669303264169985

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i know you Don't Gotta Give It To the NSA but if they are spying on someone like tucker directly it usually has to do with weird criminal conspiracies and he has to play the "how dare you investigate me" playbook

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nonsense posted:

They got reinstated.

https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/1409626082043695109

Ridiculous that even the appeal seems to have been automated without actual human decision making involved.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe the reviewers are CHUDs.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Right Wing Watch has to be one of the more dramatically voluminous sites on youtube, with a substantial audience to boot

the idea that it can be triggered into a sort of automated permanent deletion through runaway algorithmic systems that produce additionally automated rejections of appeals

and nobody at youtube was even going to do anything about it before it exploded on other social media

well, that's a thing

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Staluigi posted:

Right Wing Watch has to be one of the more dramatically voluminous sites on youtube, with a substantial audience to boot

the idea that it can be triggered into a sort of automated permanent deletion through runaway algorithmic systems that produce additionally automated rejections of appeals

and nobody at youtube was even going to do anything about it before it exploded on other social media

well, that's a thing

Having dealt with Google on a business basis on the regular I would be 100% unsurprised if it was suspended by automated systems or underpaid employees going through a checklist with zero higher decision making by Google involved before it blew up on social media.

I've seen so many things suspended by various automated Google systems. Some of them doing their thing even though some of the stuff they were automatically shutting down cost Google a good chunk of revenue, and to be clear I am not talking about dodgy stuff.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Munin posted:

Having dealt with Google on a business basis on the regular I would be 100% unsurprised if it was suspended by automated systems or underpaid employees going through a checklist with zero higher decision making by Google involved before it blew up on social media.

I've seen so many things suspended by various automated Google systems. Some of them doing their thing even though some of the stuff they were automatically shutting down cost Google a good chunk of revenue, and to be clear I am not talking about dodgy stuff.

Hell, copyright strikes are basically all automated at this point (and because the law is stupid as hell it's on the person the strike is against to prove that it's under fair use or w/e vs. the copyright holder having to prove it isn't)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Tonight, Tucker was going on about how a whistleblower told him that the NSA is spying on him and his show. He said that we’re going to leak something to get him taken off air.

It sounds like Tucker is trying to get ahead of some damaging news but now I just had the wonderful thought that Glenn is the one who leaked it to the press (as he did with the Tucker tells all the Fox News gossip to CNN) in order to take over his show.

I think former more then latter or more likely tucker trying out a new narrative for the week.

FlamingLiberal posted:

At this point GG is absolutely now RWM. He tries to pretend he's not, but he's embraced the alt-right pretty much completely now.

Yeah. Dudes loving sold his soul hard.

Republicans posted:

At least Taibbi gets it and isn't gloating like a little piggie.

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1409585084517130256

Yeah taibbi still has moments where he loving gets it and has moments of lucidity but trump broke his brain hard in weird ways.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ridiculous that even the appeal seems to have been automated without actual human decision making involved.

There's a political YouTuber I followed who's had one of his videos struck four times and in between each strike the YouTube apologized for the mistake.

https://twitter.com/maxeden99/status/1409504694431535104?s=20

Can we retire the term "gaslighting"? It doesn't just mean lying. Also I'd bet everything I own that not a single one of the parents riled up by this could define Critical Race Theory.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
YouTubes review systems are laughable they are being sued by many people for it for many reasons.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

STAC Goat posted:

Greenwald absolutely belongs in this thread in the context with other outlets that somehow pretend to be left-wing by giving lip-service to a few issues that are popular with the left in the US like free healthcare and being anti-war, but with 80% of the rest of their material being attacking the democrats and leftists, promoting right-wing narratives like transphobia and defending Trump and promoting alliances with white supremacists like Carlson and stuff like boogaloo boys, most prominent examples being Greenwald, Dore and the whole ecosystem around the Grayzone. Very curious to find out where is this coming from

Unrelated:
https://www.axios.com/partisan-medi..._source=twitter

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Munin posted:

Hell, when Google implemented the Nazi ban on Youtube, it started automatically wiping out World War 2 history documentaries.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

YouTube: we can only recognize Nazi poo poo when someone collects it together and says "this is Nazi poo poo btw"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Somaen posted:

Greenwald absolutely belongs in this thread in the context with other outlets that somehow pretend to be left-wing by giving lip-service to a few issues that are popular with the left in the US like free healthcare and being anti-war, but with 80% of the rest of their material being attacking the democrats and leftists, promoting right-wing narratives like transphobia and defending Trump and promoting alliances with white supremacists like Carlson and stuff like boogaloo boys, most prominent examples being Greenwald, Dore and the whole ecosystem around the Grayzone. Very curious to find out where is this coming from

Unrelated:
https://www.axios.com/partisan-medi..._source=twitter

These are some awful loving axes

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's a political YouTuber I followed who's had one of his videos struck four times and in between each strike the YouTube apologized for the mistake.

https://twitter.com/maxeden99/status/1409504694431535104?s=20

Can we retire the term "gaslighting"? It doesn't just mean lying. Also I'd bet everything I own that not a single one of the parents riled up by this could define Critical Race Theory.

Speaking of, the metaphor is "paint oneself into a corner." He is literally misusing a term about abuse to reverse who the offender and victim are.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

What is called when you Gaslight but instead of trying to convince them that they are crazy, you try to convince them that they are just incredibly stupid?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hihohe posted:

What is called when you Gaslight but instead of trying to convince them that they are crazy, you try to convince them that they are just incredibly stupid?

Speaking truth to power.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know who any of these guys on the radio are anymore but they really loving suck and I get the sense that the overall audience for that sort of poo poo is really limited and maybe even dwindling. They all sound like they're reading off a script and being paid to shill for The Outrage of the Day. I mean more so than usual.

I may have brought this up before but I think RWM and talk radio in particular was incredibly influential in the south/red states due to the limited number of options people have/had there, in the same way that the church radio shows work. I mean, in the early to mid 90's when radio was all there was, a lot of these states had nothing but these stations blow torching the gently caress out of everyone within 500 miles. I've driven through them without a tape deck or CD player. You had a captive audience land locked rural families and lonely truckers to where there was little else to listen to besides country music and tiny fire and brimstone religious channels. SO they melded into one and it worked exactly like advertising does.

It IS advertising. Cheap advertising at that. The stuff you watch and listen to does shape your world view no matter how smart and perceptive you think you are and even savvy people are prone to fall victim to it, myself included.

I think this explains, though, why the mindset overlaps so much and largely answers the question of how so much of the GOP base can claim to be christian and still buy into all this horrible poo poo. It's not only the same methods being used but, to a large extent, the ONLY vessel through which a huge number of people ever found themselves politically engaged in any way so ever - probably many of them for the first time - so they felt like they were learning something and occasionally found it funny. There was also that Howard Stern effect of "what will he say next?" that got people addicted or even hate listen.

It also helped that a guy like Rush was as talented as he was and, on the surface anyway, able to come off as informed and able to cite sources. He came off smart and was able to deliver his garbage in ways that kept them entertained; certainly way more than the Jesus shows did. I know that you could pick up Rush's show in SF, NYC, ATL, LA, etc. but you could also listen to 20 or 40 other different radio stations and hear jazz, NPR, rock, soul, R&B and so forth. I'm not kidding when I say that driving through Nebraska or Kansas in the early 90's offered nothing else for your mind, especially while driving or with a cheap radio.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

For most Americans Christianity is just a really low effort way of feeling like you’re better than other people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

For most Americans Christianity is just a really low effort way of feeling like you’re better than other people.

So is conservativism in a sense. I worked HARD to be as deep in credit card debt and knee deep underwater on my mortgage as I am. Not like all those freeloaders who caused the housing crash.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/rightwingwatch/status/1409958739097030668?s=21

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

bannon, in this analogy are you the flailingly bureaucratic deep state of the weimar republic or are you the self-styled radical populist outsiders with reactionary revolutionist overtones and a reliable tendency to agitate for overthrow of the current system in favor of your own brand of nativist nationalism? bannon i need you to think about this extremely loving hard, like put all your remaining brain cells to work on this one,

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Staluigi posted:

bannon, in this analogy are you the flailingly bureaucratic deep state of the weimar republic or are you the self-styled radical populist outsiders with reactionary revolutionist overtones and a reliable tendency to agitate for overthrow of the current system in favor of your own brand of nativist nationalism? bannon i need you to think about this extremely loving hard, like put all your remaining brain cells to work on this one,

Sadly I don't think you're going to get a lot of deep thoughts out of a man who thought being Emperor Palpatine was cool and this was before he started resembling someone who looked directly into the burning hellgate that was the remains of Chernobyl Reactor No. 4 :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Sadly I don't think you're going to get a lot of deep thoughts out of a man who thought being Emperor Palpatine was cool and this was before he started resembling someone who looked directly into the burning hellgate that was the remains of Chernobyl Reactor No. 4 :v:

Ironic then that Bannon wound up being more like Snoke than Palpatine: a deformed wanna be who sat around all day in a gold bathrobe talking a big game about his phantom empire, getting to within a fingernail's width of actual political power, and then getting dummied out of nowhere by the monster he created and retconned into a footnote in someone else's master plan after he was disposed of.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

From the No loving poo poo category

A Disturbing Number of Americans Have Right-Wing Authoritarian Views
A new poll shows a higher percentage of people in the U.S. qualify as "highly right-wing authoritarian" compared to other Western countries.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ydjp/a-disturbing-number-of-americans-have-right-wing-authoritarian-views

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

nine-gear crow posted:

Ironic then that Bannon wound up being more like Snoke than Palpatine: a deformed wanna be who sat around all day in a gold bathrobe talking a big game about his phantom empire, getting to within a fingernail's width of actual political power, and then getting dummied out of nowhere by the monster he created and retconned into a footnote in someone else's master plan after he was disposed of.

Art imitating life imitating art

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Is this asserting that this is all due to Trump and not because it was in an election year where everyone was stuck at home? Not saying the Trump factor isn't/ wasn't real, but I'm dubious about most trend lines that only consider the anomoly that was 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BiggerBoat posted:

From the No loving poo poo category

A Disturbing Number of Americans Have Right-Wing Authoritarian Views
A new poll shows a higher percentage of people in the U.S. qualify as "highly right-wing authoritarian" compared to other Western countries.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ydjp/a-disturbing-number-of-americans-have-right-wing-authoritarian-views

This is very interesting. In summary, the poll found 26% of US residents to hold hard right authoritarian views, which is double Canada and Australia’s numbers. 75% of those authoritarians are over 45.