Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This thread is becoming too advanced for me. I looked at the kino lorber sale and recognized maybe 5 of the movies. I dont know where to start with most of these, though I do try a lot of films on criterion channel/sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

checkplease posted:

This thread is becoming too advanced for me. I looked at the kino lorber sale and recognized maybe 5 of the movies. I dont know where to start with most of these, though I do try a lot of films on criterion channel/sales.

You have a few options
1) look for directors/actors/genres you like
2) ask for recs here
3) read the descriptions and buy ones that sound cool
4) see if anything is available on streaming first and watch it before you buy
5) watch a trailer
6) pay attention to a label that caters to your tastes
7) buy everything

I do a mix of all of these and now my collection is redonkulous. At this point I almost get more enjoyment out of collecting film more than watching.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I saw an ad on Facebook for cgc style grading and slabbing but for vhs tapes.

I hate it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Liar Lyre posted:

You have a few options
2) ask for recs here
5) watch a trailer
7) buy everything

I do a mix of all of these and now my collection is redonkulous. At this point I almost get more enjoyment out of collecting film more than watching.

8) buy movies based entirely on the coverart

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gripweed posted:

Harmony Korine initially planned to distribute Trash Humpers by leaving copies at bus stations and flea markets around the country. But eventually decided to do a traditional release so he could make money off it. Which reveals that Harmony Korine is a coward.
Damon Packard did it first with Reflections of Evil anyway.

I still regret not taking the entire stack of 20 DVDs he left in a phone booth in Santa Monica, but at least I have the one.

checkplease posted:

This thread is becoming too advanced for me. I looked at the kino lorber sale and recognized maybe 5 of the movies. I dont know where to start with most of these
The answer is Cabin Boy.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 29, 2021

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Gripweed posted:

We call that the Blockbuster Special. Almost guaranteed to get you an Italian rip off movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ruddiger posted:

I saw an ad on Facebook for cgc style grading and slabbing but for vhs tapes.

I hate it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gripweed posted:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

checkplease posted:

Liar Lyre posted:

You have a few options
2) ask for recs here
5) watch a trailer
7) buy everything

Just don't buy a bunch of poo poo you can't really afford in the first place and enjoy your life.

"Investment grading"

I really hope they don't start doing this stupid poo poo with records.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

"Investment grading"

I really hope they don't start doing this stupid poo poo with records.

do we not trust these fine folks to properly asses copies of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours that i got from a garage sale free bin?

https://www.investmentgrading.com/granding-number-scale-1-10

epic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Harmony Korine initially planned to distribute Trash Humpers by leaving copies at bus stations and flea markets around the country. But eventually decided to do a traditional release so he could make money off it. Which reveals that Harmony Korine is a coward.

Wasn't it specifically that he was going to put it in Jerry Maguire cases and distribute them in the second hand market so people would think they were getting Jerry Maguire but it would be old people humping trash like some kind of perverted analog Rick roll?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

ok Alphabet City was an excellent blind buy. thank you thread

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

do we not trust these fine folks to properly asses copies of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours that i got from a garage sale free bin?

https://www.investmentgrading.com/granding-number-scale-1-10

epic.

"I can assure you that my VHS copy of Jerry McGuire is, in fact, in Epic condition."

Does anyone just enjoy poo poo anymore?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wasn't it specifically that he was going to put it in Jerry Maguire cases and distribute them in the second hand market so people would think they were getting Jerry Maguire but it would be old people humping trash like some kind of perverted analog Rick roll?

lol, I didn't read this post until after I just made mine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

Might have been music, but that's how I discovered Cirith Ungol. I mean how can a 19 year old resist this at this:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Here’s some recs:

The Adventures of Captain Marvel - one of the most iconic Republic serials and from a beautiful 4K transfer of original elements. Even has commentaries on all 12 episodes.

The Atomic Cafe - Trippy collage of cold war industrial and public information films that alternates between the darkest humor to the stuff of nightmares.

Barton Fink - One of the great Coen films, though there’s a newer 4K master available and this uses an older transfer. But it’s Fox, so don’t hold your breath.

Battleship Potemkin - Essential silent film and it’s the premiere cut with the German premiere orchestral score. Best presentation out there.

The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend - The last Hollywood feature from Preston Sturges pales in comparison to his earlier work, but it’s still a lot of fun and I think his only color film.

The Big Country - One of many William Wyler masterpieces. A pacifist western starring Charlton Heston, Gregory Peck, Burl Ives, Carroll Baker, and Jean Simmons. Kino’s remaster is way better than MGM’s own edition.

Blue Collar - Paul Schrader’s debut feature as director, co-written by his brother Leonard and starring Harvey Keitel, Richard Pryor, and Yaphet Kotto.

The Boys in the Band - Landmark adaptation of the play, probably the first great film by William Friedkin.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - One of the best Peckinpah films. Note that Kino initially released this with the wrong master, but current discs will have the Arrow 4K remaster.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - One of the essential German silents, stars Conrad Veidt. 4K restoration looks amazing, taken from the camera negative and original prints.

Fritz Lang: The Silent Films - Deluxe box set with all surviving Lang silents, including Metropolis, Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, Die Niebelungen, Destiny, Spies, Woman in the Moon, The Spiders, and four exclusive early films.

Ida Lupino Filmmaker Collection - Four films directed by (and some starring) Lupino. Highlights are The Hitch-Hiker and The Bigamist, but Not Wanted and Never Fear are also very good melodramas.

Inherit the Wind - Great courtroom drama with Spencer Tracy, Fredric March, and Gene Kelly based on the Scopes Trial.

Intolerance - I think this is D.W. Griffith’s masterpiece and absolutely essential viewing for anyone. This edition uses a gorgeous 2K restoration of the final approved cut by Griffith (which runs under 3 hours) with a full orchestral score by Carl Davis. Has a second disc with alternate cut-down versions of the film and a lengthy interview with Kevin Brownlow. Belongs in every collection.

The Lost Weekend - One of Billy Wilder’s great noirs, showing a writer’s descent into alcoholism (played by Ray Milland).

Munchhausen - Stunning version of the Baron Munchausen tales, somehow filmed during Nazi Germany’s reign in Afgacolor. This is a fun film, especially when you compare it to the Gilliam and Zeman films.

Pasolini - Abel Ferrara and Willem Dafoe depict the last 24 hours of Pier Paolo Pasolini’s life, combined with depictions of his own ideas. Really amazing film, if just for Dafoe’s performance.

Pioneers of African-American Cinema - Incredible collection of films from the 1910s through 1940s by filmmakers such as Oscar Micheaux and Spencer Williams. Highlights would be Body and Soul (scathing attack on religion) and The Bronze Buckaroo (all-black western).

The Producers - Mel Brooks’ debut film is still one of his masterpieces and Kino’s new remaster looks amazing (4K restoration with new color timing).

Tartuffe - F.W. Murnau’s droll comedy of manners with Emil Jannings and Alfred Abel. This actually improves upon Masters of Cinema’s edition by including two cuts.

They Might Be Giants - George C. Scott plays a grieving judge who believes himself to be Sherlock Holmes. While it has a bit of a silliness to it, still a wonderful movie.

They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? - Dark, depression-era story with Jane Fonda, directed by Sydney Pollack

The Thief of Bagdad - Fun Douglas Fairbanks silent adventure. Beautiful 2K restoration with orchestral score.

Tristana - Luis Bunuel directs Catherine Denuve, Fernando Rey, and Franco Nero.

Witness for the Prosecution - Billy Wilder’s delightful adaptation of the Agatha Christie novel with stellar performances by Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, and Charles Laughton.

And here’s a few discs I’d recommend holding off of:

Night Tide - Indicator edition uses newer 4K restoration with more extras and it’s region free.
Miracle Mile - Kino already announced a remastered special edition is coming next year.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

And here’s a few discs I’d recommend holding off of:

Night Tide - Indicator edition uses newer 4K restoration with more extras and it’s region free.
Miracle Mile - Kino already announced a remastered special edition is coming next year.

I appreciate the recommendations too, but this is the valuable info. I don't follow the scene enough to know which are the best version of something available, or which are getting newer versions soon.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Thanks for the recommendations all. Hope I didn't come off as complaining or anything. I am legit impressed by the film knowledge in this thread, and will definitely look into some of these films.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Tartuffe - F.W. Murnau’s droll comedy of manners with Emil Jannings and Alfred Abel. This actually improves upon Masters of Cinema’s edition by including two cuts.

I never knew there were two cuts of Tartuffe. Any major differences between the two?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Thanks for the recommendations all. Hope I didn't come off as complaining or anything. I am legit impressed by the film knowledge in this thread, and will definitely look into some of these films.

But also feel free to ask if like, the new UHD of a 90's Stallone movie is good or whatever, because I'll probably have you covered on that sort of stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

But also feel free to ask if like, the new UHD of a 90's Stallone movie is good or whatever, because I'll probably have you covered on that sort of stuff.

How is the Speed UHD?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

How is the Speed UHD?

Excellent. I mean, the majority of it wouldn't necessarily be called reference disc material because it takes place in the bus and in elevator shafts and whatnot. But it looks the best it's ever looked by far, AND when you do get the massive explosions like the bus driver getting killed at the beginning or the house explosion or the stuff towards the end, it's absolutely beautiful. Practical explosions with HDR are like half the reason to get into the format, I can't get enough of that poo poo.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fire in HDR is nuts. I still need to pick up Backdraft because of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

Fire in HDR is nuts. I still need to pick up Backdraft because of it.

Shadow…

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guess I'm making Battleship Potemkin, Thief of Bagdad, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and Intolerance the first silent movies I own

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Roth posted:

Guess I'm making Battleship Potemkin, Thief of Bagdad, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and Intolerance the first silent movies I own

Follow it up with all of the Chaplin and Lloyd from Criterion, and Keaton from Kino/Eureka.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Does anyone know if the CultFilms 4K-sourced Bluray of La Dolce Vita is good? It's on sale at their website right now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If you are not following the blu-ray deal thread, there is a crazy good deal for the Pet Semetary 4k right now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/6317711488?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

If you are not following the blu-ray deal thread, there is a crazy good deal for the Pet Semetary 4k right now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/6317711488?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

It's the Mary Lambert Pet Sematary, and it's $6.50 with the coupon.

I grabbed it, cuz why not.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, that's cheap enough for a blind buy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

It's the Mary Lambert Pet Sematary, and it's $6.50 with the coupon.

I grabbed it, cuz why not.

I already own it, and it looks great

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It was a pricing error, it’s back up to $20. Still glad I got my order in though!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The blu-ray of Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow is also $6 right now with coupon. There's only a few left. It doesn't have a review on blu-ray.com, but it seems like a safe bet at that price.

I hope my purchasing it means it'll get a 4k UHD announced soon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I hope my purchasing it means it'll get a 4k UHD announced soon.

Thank you for your sacrifice. Sleepy Hollow 4k would be an instant buy for me. The seal has been broken on Tim Burton UHDs with Beetlejuice so maybe Sleepy Hollow and others are to come soon.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Batman and Returns have been out for a while and I think there’s a scan but no physical release of Edward Scissorhands too. Beetlejuice looks great and I’ve heard the same about Big Fish. Sleepy Hollow would be a dream for me though, I watch it every fall and have great memories of seeing it theatrically.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Thank you for your sacrifice. Sleepy Hollow 4k would be an instant buy for me. The seal has been broken on Tim Burton UHDs with Beetlejuice so maybe Sleepy Hollow and others are to come soon.

We've already got Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns and Big Fish on 4k UHD. I only have Beetlejuice, but I'll grab the other three sometime. (I think the covers for the 4k Burton Batmans suck. The original covers are iconic...)

I've been anti-Burton since Alice In Wonderland, but he was one of my favorites, and re-watching Beetlejuice last Halloween really reminded me of how much I liked his early career. I listened to the podcast Blank Check's dive into Burton's entire filmography, and it reminded me even more that he didn't become a bad filmmaker until the late 00's, and his movies that I loved did in fact rule.

Sleepy Hollow's the only movie he made for Paramount. It wasn't a hit, though, and I don't see anyone discussing it so much these days, so who knows when they'll give it the 4k treatment. It's almost all physical effects, though, so it would absolutely pop with the HDR treatment.

I really want Ed Wood on 4k UHD. That one and Edward Scissorhands are trapped with Disney for now, but I can see them putting Edward Scissorhands on 4k UHD in the next year or two.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Mars Attacks! are Warner Bros, and I can see Pee-Wee getting something in the next year or two. Mars Attacks will take much longer to get, cuz it wasn't a huge hit, it's still only a modest cult classic, and has a lot of older CGI that works but is obviously aged.

Warner Bros also has Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd. I'd like to get Sweeney Todd on 4k UHD, but realistically, Charlie was an absolute huge hit for them, so that's gonna be the first of that batch to get a release.

I don't give a poo poo about any of the others.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 30, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Somehow forgot about Batman and Batman Returns and I've watched them each twice since buying the UHDs. Batman Returns is a top-tier UHD.

But yea Sleepy Hollow is really the one that stands out to me above the others because of how much it feels like a very expensive classic Hammer film. The only other one that I really would get excited about would be Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I don't usually bitch very much about disc packaging but I got the LotR 4k set in the mail yesterday and did they intentionally make these disc spindles as shallow as humanly possible? None of the discs are damaged but not a single one was seated when I opened the box, and at least one is loose every time I open it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

We've already got Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns and Big Fish on 4k UHD. I only have Beetlejuice, but I'll grab the other three sometime. (I think the covers for the 4k Burton Batmans suck. The original covers are iconic...)

I've been anti-Burton since Alice In Wonderland, but he was one of my favorites, and re-watching Beetlejuice last Halloween really reminded me of how much I liked his early career. I listened to the podcast Blank Check's dive into Burton's entire filmography, and it reminded me even more that he didn't become a bad filmmaker until the late 00's, and his movies that I loved did in fact rule.

Sleepy Hollow's the only movie he made for Paramount. It wasn't a hit, though, and I don't see anyone discussing it so much these days, so who knows when they'll give it the 4k treatment. It's almost all physical effects, though, so it would absolutely pop with the HDR treatment.

I really want Ed Wood on 4k UHD. That one and Edward Scissorhands are trapped with Disney for now, but I can see them putting Edward Scissorhands on 4k UHD in the next year or two.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Mars Attacks! are Warner Bros, and I can see Pee-Wee getting something in the next year or two. Mars Attacks will take much longer to get, cuz it wasn't a huge hit, it's still only a modest cult classic, and has a lot of older CGI that works but is obviously aged.

Warner Bros also has Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd. I'd like to get Sweeney Todd on 4k UHD, but realistically, Charlie was an absolute huge hit for them, so that's gonna be the first of that batch to get a release.

I don't give a poo poo about any of the others.

I was a big Tim Burton fan growing up and was disappointed when I got to my teens and he started making some garbage rear end movies but his run from Pee Wee's Big Adventure through Mars Attacks! is all great. So for me he's gets a pass for the pile of garbage he's made over the last 20 years. Except Big Fish. Big Fish was good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I was a big Tim Burton fan growing up and was disappointed when I got to my teens and he started making some garbage rear end movies but his run from Pee Wee's Big Adventure through Mars Attacks! is all great. So for me he's gets a pass for the pile of garbage he's made over the last 20 years. Except Big Fish. Big Fish was good.

Big Fish is good, Sweeney Todd is pretty good, and I'll defend most of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, a film that has a ludicrous amount of costuming, set designs and production values, including all of Deep Roy's work and actual squirrels specially trained to knock on nuts. Overall Charlie is like a 2.75 instead of a full three stars, and I wouldn't dislike it as much if it weren't for the dentist stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw Dumbo in theatre a couple years ago kind of on accident. It was actually pretty good.