Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

keep punching joe posted:

Was that Stewart Lee the Guardian columnist or Stewart Lee the stand up comedian?
See source in my last post, it's literally on his personal comedy web site.

e: twice in a row but I'm still not doing it, no gods no masters

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least he doesn't have EU Supergirl on the list.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think Bill Bailey is quite good, if quiet and not very online.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bill Bailey is one of the most talented human beings I've ever seen and he was magic on strictly

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Josef bugman posted:

IIRC he had some dodgy "aren't foreign accents funny" material a few tours back but otherwise fairly sound yeah

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Singular lack of women on those comedian lists!

Back in the extremely dim and distant, I went to Raymond's Revue Bar in Soho to see the new, up and coming comedians of the Comic Strip Presents, club.
Funnily enough, the bouncers were very quick to discern who was queuing for the strip show and who was queuing for the comedy theatre without having to ask but I digress.
Alexei Sayle was and is great. I think it was him who came on doing an impression of someone in the wrong half of the theatre along the lines of "Sven, Sven when is the strip going to start?"
There was a guy did an owl impression that was hilarious - I think he was called Chris or something like that.
I didn't find French & Saunders very funny.

In the modern era, I think Bill Bailey is brilliant - I did see him live about 20 years ago.

Talking of women comedians which noone was but I am: Shaparak "Shappi" Khorsandi and Jenny Eclaire I have seen live and they're both great. (I can't speak for their politics mind you! I haven't looked them up.)

But apparently I am an old curmudgeon because I do not find Miranda 'one joke - I'm big and awkward and can't get a bloke and all say ah because a bloke asked me out' Hart remotely funny.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 29, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tbh there's always been a singular lack of really famous female stand-ups.

Not that there's been a lack of good female stand-ups in general. There's tonnes at the moment, can't remember many names but I saw loads of comedy in lockdown on the Covid Arms thing that Kiri Pritchard-McLean was doing, there were some really good women on there. Women just don't tend to get famous doing it like men do.

I think a big part is that the female stand-ups you see on the telly tend to stick to material that (male) producers &c think are appropriate humour for women (i.e., complaining about husbands/lack of husbands (as appropriate), motherhood, occasional "risque" period jokes), which just aren't funny. Saw someone whose name I can't remember (she's Indian I think?) on the telly last year who's normally really funny, but no, the telly got a full set of "my husband" jokes & it was bad.

Also Miranda is not funny.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On this stuff about creativity - It's not like Britain suddenly isn't producing creative people. It's that now, the breakout creative stars of the 10s are streamers and youtubers, and that's an ecosystem where british people still do well. Just that the mainstream media refuses to recognize or credit the talent there, so someone like Tom Scott makes weekly youtube videos rather than starts a new BBC documentary series or quiz show.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

Saw someone whose name I can't remember (she's Indian I think?) on the telly last year who's normally really funny, but no, the telly got a full set of "my husband" jokes & it was bad.

If you mean Sindhu Vee she seems likeable but I cannot find her funny for the life of me. I saw her at a comedy club night just before she broke onto the panel show circuit and she bombed horribly.

There's loads of really good female comedians but as you say they're never allowed to get quite as famous as the men. I think Comedy Central and Dave have just started piloting panel shows presented by women, a few years ago that was unthinkable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

IIRC he had some dodgy "aren't foreign accents funny" material a few tours back but otherwise fairly sound yeah

I saw that tour and it was literal "ching chong Chinaman" stuff, so I wouldn't give him benefit of the doubt.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Yeah, I’m a bit weak on 90s female comics, but Sue Perkins is politically pretty good. Like most comedians, has a bunch of transphobia in her past, but thoroughly denounces it now.

Also British comedy is really great at the moment, but is still being choked to death by Avalon basically owning and vetting every entry into television.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Susan Calman is a national treasure

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Even as a Scotsman Kevin Bridges is shite

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Even as a Scotsman Kevin Bridges is shite

He is, he's in the James Corden Zone for me sad to say, him and that baldy oval office who just shouts like he's in Dad's Army

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pork Lift posted:

Yeah, I’m a bit weak on 90s female comics, but Sue Perkins is politically pretty good. Like most comedians, has a bunch of transphobia in her past, but thoroughly denounces it now.

She's usually got solid opinions, but she's also exceptionally centrist. Like, the dictionary definition of a FBPE centrist.

Failed Imagineer posted:

He is, he's in the James Corden Zone for me sad to say, him and that baldy oval office who just shouts like he's in Dad's Army

Andy Parsons?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

serious gaylord posted:

This is something I have read about Gove a lot. That he was actually a very competent minister as Environment secretary in that he actually listened to people that know what they're talking about as he didn't have a clue about the subject and actively tried to implement their ideas.

I believe this is in vast difference to his time as education minister where he went in with an agenda of what to do and ignored anything that went counter to that. Perhaps the outright hatred he got for that role lead to personal change?

Sorry to dig this up as I'm just catching up on the thread, but the other factor could have been that Cummings was his chief of staff at Education, so the attitude could have been strongly driven from him, as his views about going against experts, conventional wisdom, etc. are pretty well documented by now. He didn't follow Gove to other departments.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

I saw that tour and it was literal "ching chong Chinaman" stuff, so I wouldn't give him benefit of the doubt.

From what I remember wasn't that him making fun of himself unable to speak Chinese?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah, steady on, Bridges isn't that bad to deserve to be in that company. He's just...you'll find a guy about as funny as Kevin in most Glasgow pubs in my experience

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Failed Imagineer posted:

James Cordens popularity in America is mystifying

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TheRat posted:

Andy Parsons?

Oh god he’s terrible, I instantly switch over if he ever appears on my TV

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Maybe it's his physical size? Every 'humorous' American movie I've seen has a large person as a comedy figure.
In Egypt, it's people with cross-eyes who are apparently inately funny. (Older movies I mean, new movies -not comedies - are much better. Comedy essentially remains 'slapstick').

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

"Not online" is generally enough for me to assume someone's not a twat nowadays.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Noxville posted:

Oh god he’s terrible, I instantly switch over if he ever appears on my TV

I’m convinced he’s got some kompromat because he’s the single least funny person on tv including non comedians and the people on songs of praise. He’s aggressively dislikeable and unfunny.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe it's his physical size? Every 'humorous' American movie I've seen has a large person as a comedy figure.
In Egypt, it's people with cross-eyes who are apparently inately funny. (Older movies I mean, new movies -not comedies - are much better. Comedy essentially remains 'slapstick').

americans have been tricked into finding british accents appealing and intelligent, often despite a preponderance of evidence to the contrary

additionally he sings! in a car! with singers! clearly the pinnacle of entertainment.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Not online" is generally enough for me to assume someone's not a twat nowadays.

Oh dear, owning the entire thread in one fell swoop.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jakabite posted:

I’m convinced he’s got some kompromat because he’s the single least funny person on tv including non comedians and the people on songs of praise. He’s aggressively dislikeable and unfunny.

He's repped by Off The Kerb though (https://offthekerb.com/artists/) who have a big stable of comedians. I understand that they often come as 'bundles' for quiz shows etc - you want an Alan Carr, Jo Brand, Romesh, Dara on your show? Sure, but you also have to take an Andy Parsons, Phil Jerrod, etc.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

TheRat posted:

Andy Parsons?

I had to check this wasn't the guy who does Athletico Mince along with national treasure Bob Mortimer, because if ever there was someone who needed putting in the 'unfunny fucker coasting on coattails' bin...

Anyway that's Andy Dawson.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You have to take a Tom Allen. The British public will continue to receive Tom Allen until morale improves.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

josh04 posted:

You have to take a Tom Allen. The British public will continue to receive Tom Allen until morale improves.

He makes Professional Bake Off nigh unwatchable for me. You can always tell that Bake Off contestants find the host banter irritating when they're trying to concentrate, but he just comes off as nails on chalkboard. If I were a baker I'd be kicked off the show for screaming in his face after a few hours.

I wonder how Andy Parsons got picked up by Kerb in the first place. Were they just desperate for talent at the time or does he know someone who knows someone?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

No, I get it. I hate it, but I get it. He has a very open and enthusiastic persona and still manages to pull off the everyman "Oh my god i can't believe I get to talk to you!" thing with his guests. The late-night talk show ecosystem is probably the most foreign thing to British viewers in American telly, but it's really big poo poo over there, and since the 90s it's been increasingly dominated by standups who all do the fake-sophisticated "I'm so much better and funnier than my guests" thing. Corden is very much the opposite of that.

Also I'm *certain* that his size has something to do with it, he certainly looks a lot more like an average American than Conan O'Brien.

(Also there's always been this weird pipeline of semi-obscure British entertainment figures getting unaccountably huge in America - John Oliver went from second-string panel show guest over here to The Daily Show at the height of its powers and now his own show, Craig Ferguson went from writing for Russ Abbott to earning $20M a year hosting his own talk show, plus you've got that whole thing of them just turning up in the States playing Americans - Idris Elba, Hugh Laurie, Damien Lewis, et. al.)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

John Oliver went from second-string panel show guest over here to The Daily Show at the height of its powers and now his own show,

I'm not sure that's entirely fair on Oliver tbh. He was fairly regular on british panelshows, and then did a lot of grinding smaller parts at the daily show before he got picked up on his own.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Is it just me or has he gotten more left wing over the years as well?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

josh04 posted:

I was going to use him as an example originally! But then figured that as he hosts his own things then he can't count.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On the subject of unfunny fat people: Peter Kay can gently caress off, but does he get to choose the direction he fucks off in?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheRat posted:

I'm not sure that's entirely fair on Oliver tbh. He was fairly regular on british panelshows, and then did a lot of grinding smaller parts at the daily show before he got picked up on his own.

The Bugle fell apart when he got too successful.

Jedit posted:

On the subject of unfunny fat people: Peter Kay can gently caress off, but does he get to choose the direction he fucks off in?

GARLIC BREAD. GARLIC BREAD

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Is it just me or has he gotten more left wing over the years as well?

Probably inevitable if you do as much deep research into that hosed up country as he's done over the years.

Speaking of The Daily Show, didn't Jon Stewart recently come out as a full covid lab truther? Like full on madman?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

stev posted:

He makes Professional Bake Off nigh unwatchable for me. You can always tell that Bake Off contestants find the host banter irritating when they're trying to concentrate, but he just comes off as nails on chalkboard. If I were a baker I'd be kicked off the show for screaming in his face after a few hours.

I wonder how Andy Parsons got picked up by Kerb in the first place. Were they just desperate for talent at the time or does he know someone who knows someone?

god i can't stand him on there, i just tend to skip forward when he starts going off

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

My parents once went to see Andy Parsons live and said he was more funny than he was on TV... which isn't really a compliment.

Jo Brand's still good, right? I haven't missed anything with her :ohdear:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I had to check this wasn't the guy who does Athletico Mince along with national treasure Bob Mortimer, because if ever there was someone who needed putting in the 'unfunny fucker coasting on coattails' bin...

Anyway that's Andy Dawson.

Also find Andy Hamilton to be pretty ooor generally. Maybe people called Andy shouldn’t be allowed to do comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TheRat posted:

Speaking of The Daily Show, didn't Jon Stewart recently come out as a full covid lab truther? Like full on madman?

I read about it in the US thread and yeah. It sounded very weird. The fact that Colbert was kind of calling him out on it was pretty weird and unexpected.