Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

One of the final After Hours basically shows in show that Cosby stalked and groomed his wife on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

:yikes:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

the_steve posted:

And convince a bunch of stupid nerds to raise hell over some basic rear end teriyaki sauce.

The show had nothing to do with the teriyaki thing - it was a dumb joke that McDonald's picked up. They released it with a load of art that was very similar, but legally distinct from, Rick and Morty, so the resulting poo poo-storm was entirely their own doing.

I say this not to defend the show, but to make sure we all have sufficient disdain for mcDonald's marketing division.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The show had nothing to do with the teriyaki thing - it was a dumb joke that McDonald's picked up. They released it with a load of art that was very similar, but legally distinct from, Rick and Morty, so the resulting poo poo-storm was entirely their own doing.

I say this not to defend the show, but to make sure we all have sufficient disdain for mcDonald's marketing division.

I mean, the sauce is mentioned multiple time as super delicious (to the point that Rick travels to that part of his memory to savour it again I think?)...so that was shrewed from Mickey D, but it was basically a free commercial pumped into the veins of a demographic already into fast food.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Circling back to the Simpsons, a couple of weeks ago I remembered there was a big hoopla about the Simpsons going head to head against the Cosby show. Cosby eventually won that one and the Simpsons went back to Sunday nights, but still, that's how loving old the Simpsons are.

I'm not sure any media has aged worse than the Cosby Show.

The Simpsons actually killed the Cosby Show as much as anything did. It moved back to Sundays three years after Cosby ended the series.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

That Italian Guy posted:

I mean, the sauce is mentioned multiple time as super delicious (to the point that Rick travels to that part of his memory to savour it again I think?)...so that was shrewed from Mickey D, but it was basically a free commercial pumped into the veins of a demographic already into fast food.

It was a bit of goofy gag nostalgia. If that's a crime, Venture Bros may as well be Hannibal Lector.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chitoryu12 posted:

Good thing that doesn't happen, but I understand reading things is hard.

Ugh, it's been a very long time since I read that. I'm probably conflating some stuff here.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

It's also show that Rick's obsession with the sauce is super duper hosed up.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Szechuan sauce bit was the punchline to a setup that lasted all throughout the episode and the previous season’s finale. We spent the bulk of two episodes seeing hints at Rick’s backstory as a freedom fighter and family tragedy, and at the end he does an unhinged rant about how the search for the sauce will be his main character arc.

I think one thing that lead to sauce thing blowing up was that the episode originally aired on April Fool’s Day months ahead of the official season premiere. I think this allowed it had time to percolate as a meme without an episode next week to displace it from everyone’s.

Pickle Riiick! featured prominently in the season’s trailer, and I don’t think it would have exploded into the thing it did without it either.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That Italian Guy posted:

At a certain point, when your character that acts as an rear end in a top hat is always right and, especially, is always cool, there may be a problem with the message :v:

See also: Rick Sanchez.

People not getting that Rick sucks is not my problem or the shows problem. It was clear to me from episode one when Rick was yelling unhinged thoughts at while his grandson was having a horrible painful seizure that he sucked rear end but funny as hell and totally worth watching for 30 minutes every weekend

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also the sauce incident has another thing that people forget, McDonald’s had this massive pre hype roll out for it but sent out 20 sauce packets to the small amount of stores that were going to get it.

20 packets. Most either never showed up or were swiped by the employees to make a quick buck (good fo them).

They rolled it out months later and no one made a peep about it because it was so subtle.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

I love that this has been flagged as age restricted.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think one person managed to get a car in exchange for a packet of that sauce.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

normal-rear end vampire posted:

I love that this has been flagged as age restricted.

Cosby’s tone of voice alone more than warrants it.

EDIT: GODDAMN IT YOUTUBE DON’T REC ME MORE COSBY SHOW *mashes “Not Interested” button*

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Jun 28, 2021

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately wouldn't be surprised if Fleming played up the racism because that's what the audience at the time loved, similar to more recent Clancy stuff, or the Fu Manchu books he'd likely be familiar with.

ed: vvv Good point. I mean more recent as in compared to Fleming's Bond and Fu Manchu. Either works, though.

Hoo-boy, thinking back on Clancys stuff is pretty cringy. Red October was a pretty good techno action story, then Red Storm got into "dang mooslims" :bahgawd:. Cardinal of the Kremlin had the absolutely most bizarre depiction of a lesbian ever. I had only known (or at least knew that they were) a couple of lesbian at that point, but I was uhhhh.... what? Things just got worse and worse from there.

Having grown up in a military family, I could easily tell he was one of those guys who stroked it to the trades magazines showing the latest gear and not someone who had actually served.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CelticPredator posted:

People not getting that Rick sucks is not my problem or the shows problem. It was clear to me from episode one when Rick was yelling unhinged thoughts at while his grandson was having a horrible painful seizure that he sucked rear end but funny as hell and totally worth watching for 30 minutes every weekend

It's not your problem, sure, but why is it not the shows problem?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

It's not your problem, sure, but why is it not the shows problem?

Someone posted the youtube about text, the show doesn't get a free pass because Rick is a broken person. They consistently say his world view is right and he is right to feel the way he does. I haven't watched this season but apparently, they have tried to change that?

Anyways, to your point its ok to point out the flaws with the show and how it presents itself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I think a lot of shows fall into the problem with broken man characters or main characters that are bad where they end up undermining themselves by what actually happens in the show. So that no matter how much they restate their thesis the episodes undermine it.

The Shield is a show that falls into this in my opinion

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The bottom line is framing matters, and broken dudes from poo poo homes are always going to latch onto whatever they perceive as the most butch, domineering, "alpha" presentation. Rick ranting about the sauce has him literally towering over Morty claiming victory, and the actual context doesn't mean poo poo because lizard brain sees strong man. It's the same way CHUDs and NeoNazis loving love American History X and Rage Against the Machine despite both of those things explicitly hating everything about them-- all they know is that the media is aggressive, loud, masculine, and "badass" so they use it uncritically and without shame.

Like you really need to go very far out of your way to humiliate a character before dudebros will give up the aesthetic. It's not enough to show the Joker as pathetic, you'd actually have to show him getting pegged by another dude wearing a Batman mask before fans would stop idolizing him. Rick can't just be shown loving up relative to a Namor pastiche gyrating at the camera, he's gonna have to have Morty literally kick him in the balls and make him eat his own poo poo while he cries or something before fans stop taking the wrong beats from him.

Audiences just can't understand anything more complex than the most basic power dynamics.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest I think a lot of shows fall into the problem with broken man characters or main characters that are bad where they end up undermining themselves by what actually happens in the show. So that no matter how much they restate their thesis the episodes undermine it.

The Shield is a show that falls into this in my opinion

The Shield leaned into this deliberately by giving you people that were even worse than Vic on a moment to moment basis but it makes (ending spoilers) the payoff when Vic rattles off everything he’s done since the start of the show for immunity, dropping all of it at once on the viewer such an effective jesus loving christ moment. You can’t really get that without the viewer kind of rooting for him sometimes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Shield leaned into this deliberately by giving you people that were even worse than Vic on a moment to moment basis but it makes (ending spoilers) the payoff when Vic rattles off everything he’s done since the start of the show for immunity, dropping all of it at once on the viewer such an effective jesus loving christ moment. You can’t really get that without the viewer kind of rooting for him sometimes.

I mean I think the bigger problem is that the stuff the show ends up focusing on is kind of far away from what the show started as. Like the pilot starts by focusing on Vic being a dirty cop who is actually bad at his job, being brutal and at least implying he was cutting corners.

All that kind of falls to the side for Vics hijinks while as a cop he is brutal but extremely effective and always right

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

The bottom line is framing matters, and broken dudes from poo poo homes are always going to latch onto whatever they perceive as the most butch, domineering, "alpha" presentation. Rick ranting about the sauce has him literally towering over Morty claiming victory, and the actual context doesn't mean poo poo because lizard brain sees strong man. It's the same way CHUDs and NeoNazis loving love American History X and Rage Against the Machine despite both of those things explicitly hating everything about them-- all they know is that the media is aggressive, loud, masculine, and "badass" so they use it uncritically and without shame.

Like you really need to go very far out of your way to humiliate a character before dudebros will give up the aesthetic. It's not enough to show the Joker as pathetic, you'd actually have to show him getting pegged by another dude wearing a Batman mask before fans would stop idolizing him. Rick can't just be shown loving up relative to a Namor pastiche gyrating at the camera, he's gonna have to have Morty literally kick him in the balls and make him eat his own poo poo while he cries or something before fans stop taking the wrong beats from him.

Audiences just can't understand anything more complex than the most basic power dynamics.

I dropped off the show around season 2. Besides this, when the show starts getting more serious it starts trying to make you feel sorry for Rick. Like right away I'm supposed to be relating to this sociopath? That and besides always being correct about the universe of R&M, he sometimes also takes on the voice/opinion of the author to say things like Minecraft/D&D are cool. It really made him seem more like a broken person's self-insert. They understand that maybe they don't treat the people around them great and have trouble socially, but they're still great super geniuses who are right about everything. I'm pretty sure they are very intentionally framing Rick to be super cool and relatable, just with some serious flaws that they also find relatable. It isn't an accident that people are identifying with the character.

Early on it was a fun wacky adventure story where Rick was an agent of chaos that the straight characters just had to exist around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mind the walrus posted:

Rick can't just be shown loving up relative to a Namor pastiche gyrating at the camera, he's gonna have to have Morty literally kick him in the balls and make him eat his own poo poo while he cries or something before fans stop taking the wrong beats from him.

That actually does sound like something that might happen in the show.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wasn't there a Rick that ate poo poo in the Council of Ricks?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Wasn't there a Rick that ate poo poo in the Council of Ricks?

Unless I’m mistaken, he was the aberrant Rick who showed kindness and empathy, so…

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I dropped off the show around season 2. Besides this, when the show starts getting more serious it starts trying to make you feel sorry for Rick. Like right away I'm supposed to be relating to this sociopath?
The video that was linked a while ago was noting that, most of the times when Rick is shown as fragile and flawed, that moment is linked with some kind of "genius burden" - he suffers because he is intellectually superior and the rest of his family can't understand what he's going through.

Rick is right 9 times out of 10; and often the reason he is right is that he is cruel and cynic - often directly compared to another character showing a more empathetic human emotion. EDIT: see the above post as well; the show really hammers down that "intelligent=cruel" and "dumb=good natured" and it isn't really a jab in Rick's direction since this happens to be true most of the time.

It's Rick's point of view, of course; but it's also shown to be as the right course of action.

Rick does gently caress up in a couple of occasions; but usually the consequences of his mistakes are suffered by someone else (see the Cronenmberg planet) so he doesn't really get to suffer for these mistakes. Even the biggest "character growing" scene in the series so far, at the end of S2 when he allows himself to get captured by the Galactic Federation to save his family is then retconned immediately at the start of S3, disguised, btw, as another "character growing" moment, when we get bait&switched with his family's tragic past only to discover that it was also a ruse. And the reason he got captured is so that he can destroy the Galactic Federation.

Ironically, the episode that shows Rick as a broken human being in the earnest is the infamous Pickle Rick episode. His estranged family tries to reach out to him and Rick belittles their efforts and tries to avoid having to confront any of his flaws; in the end Rick behavior is - maybe for the first time - seen through the lenses of an outsider and shown as childish, capricious and mean in the actual text of the show. And yet what almost everyone remembers the episode for is I'M PICKLE RIIIIIICK! (not the showmakers' fault in this specific case, although it ties into the larger issue with Rick being always cool&right - he may be shown as flawed all of the time, but is shown as wrong so little that it's easy to ignore).

As the video was saying, text counts. Rick is a flawed human being in the text; he is also right 90% of the time; and usually he is right in direct opposition to characters that exhibit less toxic behaviors and ideas. So at the very least, the message is VERY obfuscated.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Jun 29, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Even if the episode was literally everybody else tearing into Rick about all of his flaws and fuckups and pointing out in excruciating detail how broken and wretched he is, he's still also the guy with so much sci-fi plot device tech that he's functionally a walking god.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess to me that’s really funny idk.

Watching Rick tear through a bunch of people with nonsense weaponry is usually pretty entertaining visually due to how well they animate it.

This first seasons episode they set it up and have the antagonists just rip everything out of him in one swoop and it’s a pretty good gag.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The most fun part has been telling people about Namor. Mr Nimbus is, if anything, toned WAY down.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

Watching Rick tear through a bunch of people with nonsense weaponry is usually pretty entertaining visually due to how well they animate it.

This first seasons episode they set it up and have the antagonists just rip everything out of him in one swoop and it’s a pretty good gag.

We get it, you turn your brain off and :munch: .

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think RM would be fine if it was just a turn your brain off comedy but it clearly doesn’t want to be that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No I just think Rick being a monster but correct is really really funny. It’s a good joke.

Like the dude will gently caress up your entire life, existence, and even species just to be right. It’s dark as heck but it makes me laugh. And the fact it’s rubbing off on the other characters makes it even funnier to me. Morty going from a naive but well meaning kid to

“Let’s loving go Narnia” is hilarious. It’s not for everyone and that’s cool. But I’d hate for them to change an entire show because people just can’t process that they shouldn’t emulate a cartoon man because he does cool things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The show got too big for its own good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s is definitely not what they want the show to be or they wouldn’t drag it down with pointing out how bad he is sometimes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it's clear the writers are trying, but they still can't bring themselves to humiliate the character in a way so explicit that even the idiot nazi boys in the back will get it.

MariusLecter posted:

We get it, you turn your brain off and :munch: .
This dismissive argument really stopped holding water sometime in the 2010s when we collectively as a wider society decided that the brain droppings of Boomer comics from the 60s was worth enshrining as a load-bearing pillar of our entire culture and economy.

Media can have multiple appeals, and one consistent appeal of animation is fluidity of movement and sequence in a space where all sets cost roughly the same to construct and the camera can go anywhere. The animators clearly have fun with Rick's science weaponry and part of the show's appeal has always been watching him groove on his own power. Again-- problem with framing when the writing also wants to portray this guy as an emotionally broken loser, because lizard brain sees strong man. Same way Venture Bros. is a character study of late Boomer and Gen X manchildren, but also a showcase for Brock Sampson and whomever to cut loose. Superjail's entire appeal was watching the animators cut a tear at the expense of any sort of logical or narrative cohesion.

It's not a problem to point out that dissonance in a cartoon where part of the appeal is fundamentally at odds with the writing but also not a problem to say "yeah I know but I enjoy those parts in isolate." I enjoy those parts in isolate too, even if I think "man the show really can't commit to its own vision of Rick as a loser" while it happens.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The most fun part has been telling people about Namor. Mr Nimbus is, if anything, toned WAY down.
Yeah they amp up the direct powers and body language, but the attitude is about 60% of actual Namor pomposity, max.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't really see much cool about "I'm a shithead but in a science way" to be blunt.

That and whilst you can like whatever you want to, looking at a thing in its greater context is interesting to.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think Rick & Morty is quite funny, especially the first 2 seasons. And I'm not even saying that the authors intend for the message of the show to be "Rick is flawed but right".

It's just that the combination of Rick Sanchez being the lovechild of House MD (genious misanthropist) and Brock Samson (invincible action hero) makes it quite easy to conflate his actions results with his morale choices; and it's especially dangerous when there is an entire generation of "disenfranchised" toxic white male that can lap that up as validation.

What I'm saying is that it would probably be more interesting if Rick was more often proven wrong in the fields he is not a master at - namely, ethics.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

We get it, you turn your brain off and :munch:

It's for sure hosed up he's enjoying the funny cartoon, drat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That Italian Guy posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think Rick & Morty is quite funny, especially the first 2 seasons. And I'm not even saying that the authors intend for the message of the show to be "Rick is flawed but right".

It's just that the combination of Rick Sanchez being the lovechild of House MD (genious misanthropist) and Brock Samson (invincible action hero) makes it quite easy to conflate his actions results with his morale choices; and it's especially dangerous when there is an entire generation of "disenfranchised" toxic white male that can lap that up as validation.

What I'm saying is that it would probably be more interesting if Rick was more often proven wrong in the fields he is not a master at - namely, ethics.

It's not like the people you're talking about are gonna to be any significantly more or less hosed up because Rick and Morty exists. Material conditions did that, not cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like the people you're talking about are gonna to be any significantly more or less hosed up because Rick and Morty exists. Material conditions did that, not cartoons.

I'm not gonna say Doom caused Columbine or anything but media can absolutely reinforce/enhance a person's worldview.