Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is completely untrue. This was a reaction among some elites to the black death that lasted a couple of centuries and was not nearly as broad or deep as popular memory implies. It's mostly a myth.

Yeah, I read a pretty long book about this once, and according to that book, Euros totally loved bathing and only stopped after going to a bathhouse became a solid way to get plague and syphilis. Which would have been about the 1500s or so.

Maybe other cultures, e.g. Muslim Andalusia, were even cleaner. But it wasn't as disgusting as people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

One of my medieval history professors always liked to say that most of the really bleak, disgusting things people associate with the middle ages were probably more accurate of the early modern period.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Why do I have "no available spouse" in council? she's right here...

edit: ok weird she was "unlanded" in my main town, but I had to manually invite her to my court. lol ok?

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 25, 2021

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I've never seen that. Maybe she left to become an independent ruler at some point, and then lost the title?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
She's a vampire and had to be invited in.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sometimes close relatives/spouses just leave for seemingly no reason. It can be particularly annoying when they're kids, and you can't invite them back.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
In our multiplayer game last night, some rear end in a top hat adventurer with almost 9000 special soldiers imposed himself on me and I had little choice but to vassalize him and give him a duchy.

I'm on good enough terms with him, but his ridiculous amount of special troops means any faction he joins would cause problems.

If he happened to die, would his special troops disappear too or would they go to his heir? I'm worried about what happens when my current guy dies and the adventurer isn't on such good terms with my heir.

If not, are there any recommendations to deal with this? I could call all my allies in but still have less troops, I'm pretty sure, and since he's already in my territory, his huge stack would just demolish my and my allies' stacks before they could group up anyway.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sounds like you need to go figure out some marriage alliance

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

In our multiplayer game last night, some rear end in a top hat adventurer with almost 9000 special soldiers imposed himself on me and I had little choice but to vassalize him and give him a duchy.

I'm on good enough terms with him, but his ridiculous amount of special troops means any faction he joins would cause problems.

If he happened to die, would his special troops disappear too or would they go to his heir? I'm worried about what happens when my current guy dies and the adventurer isn't on such good terms with my heir.

If not, are there any recommendations to deal with this? I could call all my allies in but still have less troops, I'm pretty sure, and since he's already in my territory, his huge stack would just demolish my and my allies' stacks before they could group up anyway.

From what I remember they are not inheritable. They are also 100% levies, so if you have a strong enough MaA contingent you can just defend in some hills somewhere and let him throw his army into yours. Once you win that first battle it'll be basically over.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Adventurer Issues

In the short term, making him a Friend (or Lover, if applicable) of your ruler means he can't join factions against you. That can buy you time to deal with him in a more permanent way (marriage alliance or murder). Or outlive him the natural way, if your ruler is younger/much more healthy than he is.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I still haven't gotten my heir out of prison but I read on reddit that giving them gifts of money could be a way to try to get them to ransom themselves.

I've tried that but didn't seem to have an effect. Maybe it takes some time or they need like a lot more gold.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

I still haven't gotten my heir out of prison but I read on reddit that giving them gifts of money could be a way to try to get them to ransom themselves.

I've tried that but didn't seem to have an effect. Maybe it takes some time or they need like a lot more gold.

Depending on your rank, it might cost a lot for your heir to ransom himself, like 200g. I wish heirs would try to escape prison more often. Cheaper!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any date for the expansion?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

A Strange Aeon posted:

This might not be too helpful but somebody mentioned up thread that they aren't inheritable, however some of them definitely are, for example the 7.5k troops you get for elevating the Isle of Man. I don't know if you can see the composition of enemy troops but it usually tells you underneath the succession rules on your own.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Started a game as the last Karling. Conquered a 2nd county in my duchy, but the other counties in the duchy are owned by the King or my father in law. My wife would be in line for those two counties if not for her younger brother, but I don't have a good chance to assassinate him and my ruler's personality doesn't exactly lean that way.

Not really sure what do now. My other neighbors are the Duchy of Champagne and Flanders and the HRE. I have an alliance with the King of England, so I'm leaning towards fabricating against the Duchy of Flanders and having William do most of my work for me. Aside from that, no firm plans. :thunk:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When you start as a count you gotta play the long game. Sometimes that means waiting a generation or two (or four) for opportunities to present themselves. Like neighbors breaking up on succession, or your liege or liege's liege collapsing into a death spiral of revolts.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

When you start as a count you gotta play the long game. Sometimes that means waiting a generation or two (or four) for opportunities to present themselves. Like neighbors breaking up on succession, or your liege or liege's liege collapsing into a death spiral of revolts.

It seems like it's not as easy to get marriages with this start as it was in CK2. William said yes to one of my brothers or uncles marrying a daughter of his, but a bunch of Dukes said no their daughter marrying my heir.

Dec 30, 2008
Something that's always bothered me in CK2/3 is that the AI will happily enter their female heir/ruler into a non-matrilineal marriage of their own accord, but if you propose it they absolutely will not go for it. One of the devs explained at some point that this was because matrilineal marriages weren't really a thing historically, and are more of a contrivance for gameplay purposes. Which is fine, I just don't get why it should be a factor in whether the AI accepts a marriage proposal from the player. I get that it's probably just for game balance purposes but it's kind of a bummer that it stops you from starting small and slowly blobbing over generations through strategic marriages, at least without a bunch of child murdering and going to war over claims. Which is kind of a shame since there's a bunch of perks and legacies around marriage acceptance which as it stands I've never found to be particularly useful.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

It seems like it's not as easy to get marriages with this start as it was in CK2. William said yes to one of my brothers or uncles marrying a daughter of his, but a bunch of Dukes said no their daughter marrying my heir.

I definitely noticed that as well. No more rolling a high-intrigue count, matri-marrying your daughter to the second son of the King of France, and stabbing your way to early upward social mobility.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Guest posted:

Something that's always bothered me in CK2/3 is that the AI will happily enter their female heir/ruler into a non-matrilineal marriage of their own accord, but if you propose it they absolutely will not go for it. One of the devs explained at some point that this was because matrilineal marriages weren't really a thing historically, and are more of a contrivance for gameplay purposes. Which is fine, I just don't get why it should be a factor in whether the AI accepts a marriage proposal from the player. I get that it's probably just for game balance purposes but it's kind of a bummer that it stops you from starting small and slowly blobbing over generations through strategic marriages, at least without a bunch of child murdering and going to war over claims. Which is kind of a shame since there's a bunch of perks and legacies around marriage acceptance which as it stands I've never found to be particularly useful.

I remember that when it came out, but they did explicitly address it in a patch and I haven't noticed it quite as much since. I can get matrilineal marriages easy as long as I'm not trying to rope down their heir or someone with very good claims. One of my first game empires collapsed because all the kingdoms of my descendants had intermarried so much, but the game had been set to heir equality out the gate before the patch fix, so the AI had made patrilineal marriages for all the female heads of house. So you wound up with the kingdom of Italy owning half of Spain and the kingdom of Africa owning Ireland. Except it was everything everywhere. Really screwed up all the dejure bonus's

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 27, 2021

Dec 30, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I remember that when it came out, but they did explicitly address it in a patch and I haven't noticed it quite as much since. I can get matrilineal marriages easy as long as I'm not trying to rope down their heir or someone with very good claims. One of my first game empires collapsed because all the kingdoms of my descendants had intermarried so much, but the game had been set to heir equality out the gate before the patch fix, so the AI had made patrilineal marriages for all the female heads of house. So you wound up with the kingdom of Italy owning half of Spain and the kingdom of Africa owning Ireland. Except it was everything everywhere. Really screwed up all the dejure bonus's

Oh. Maybe it has been fixed then? I binged CK3 hard on release, but admittedly I've only been playing CK3 every now and then lately, so it's possible I just hadn't noticed. I just remembered it being something that bothered me in CK2 and was disappointed to find it worked the same way in CK3.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Also, if you have an exceptionally large dynasty, and you find that somebody from your dynasty is ruling a country you want and has a female heir, you can generally arrange a matrilineal marriage just fine with them, sometimes even if they're in a different branch of the dynasty. Good way to have your heir's heir inherit somewhere nice.

Dec 30, 2008
Yeah, I'm specifically talking about times when some duke has a daughter who stands to inherit, and you propose that she marries your heir, and the duke flat out refuses because it's not a matrilineal marriage. Then he turns around and marries her off to some rando patrilineally because the only time the AI cares about marriages being matrilineal is when it's dealing with an offer from the player. I even remember a time playing CK2 where the AI rejected my marriage proposal because it wasn't matrilineal, then turned around and sent me the exact same proposal I just sent of its own accord. Although, to be fair I did kind of enjoy that one because it felt like the AI was making some sort of petty interpersonal power play like "no you can't propose to me, I propose to YOU".

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Guest posted:

Yeah, I'm specifically talking about times when some duke has a daughter who stands to inherit, and you propose that she marries your heir, and the duke flat out refuses because it's not a matrilineal marriage. Then he turns around and marries her off to some rando patrilineally because the only time the AI cares about marriages being matrilineal is when it's dealing with an offer from the player. I even remember a time playing CK2 where the AI rejected my marriage proposal because it wasn't matrilineal, then turned around and sent me the exact same proposal I just sent of its own accord. Although, to be fair I did kind of enjoy that one because it felt like the AI was making some sort of petty interpersonal power play like "no you can't propose to me, I propose to YOU".
Kinda like how rulers will refuse you educating their heirs if you wanna change both culture and faith but your liege will keep asking for your kids

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

Kinda like how rulers will refuse you educating their heirs if you wanna change both culture and faith but your liege will keep asking for your kids

That one is super obnoxious, because even if you have religious protection in your feudal contract they'll still do that, and get pissy when you say no.

Guest posted:

Even if you set the starting game rule to always for matrilineal marriages, the AI very rarely does them. I was hoping that would at least make my dynasty matri-marry, but nope.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

My father in law fabricated a claim on my original county, so I retaliated by doing the same to him. Now I just have to wait until the current Franco-English war is over so I can get William on my side.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 28, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

That one is super obnoxious, because even if you have religious protection in your feudal contract they'll still do that, and get pissy when you say no.

Even if you set the starting game rule to always for matrilineal marriages, the AI very rarely does them. I was hoping that would at least make my dynasty matri-marry, but nope.

A while back they mentioned that the AI isn't really playing to "win" in the sense of trying to keep their dynasty going, so they will generally not matri-marry to avoid another dynasty inheriting. The only thing that makes them reliably aim for matrilineal marriages is if their faith is female dominated.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'm not sure how common matri marriage was historically. In reality, people didn't make a contract on the day of their marriage, defining which dynasty their children would belong to. They'd sort of be considered to belong to both, and in situations where the mother's dynasty was more beneficial they'd just emphasize that one. E.g. the Tudor kings were considered Plantagenets through a woman.

But that's obviously pretty hard to model in CK3, where dynasties are objectively real and each character can only belong to one.

E: It is of course even more ridiculous to have the same rules for all cultures on the map, many of which didn't even really have "dynasties" to begin with.

pidan fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 28, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pidan posted:

dynasties […] each character can only belong to one

maybe the solution is somewhere around there. some dynastic fortune DLC that adds a dynastic-heritage stat for their parents’ dynasties. weight it based on renown or something and have it flip completely if it’s more lopsided than 1:2 when the child comes of age or is married or has a kid or whatever.

more likely they thought about this and decided against it for reasons that would be clear to me if I were any good at game design, but it would be interesting to be competing for prestige with a marriage-allied dynasty so that mine “captures” the kids

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Objectively, there's no real reason it needs to be game-over when your heir is not of your dynasty. It would be annoying enough to lose the dynasty you've built up, without losing the whole game. You could even play the marriage game to get your original dynasty back.

As far as I know, children choosing their mother's dynasty didn't happen that often in history, they'd pass on their father's dynasty unless there were some extremely unusual circumstances. But as a player, I want to play female rulers without automatically losing the game. I guess I could still marry someone from my own dynasty, though, which is what many female heirs did irl.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah it's pretty silly that according to this game, a ruler who creates a vast empire and passes it down to her different dynasty heir is a failure.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

marktheando posted:

Yeah it's pretty silly that according to this game, a ruler who creates a vast empire and passes it down to her different dynasty heir is a failure.

That’s not the case. The character is a success. The empire may be a success - that’s tested over time. The dynasty meanwhile, fails, at least the direct line. That’s a non issue in a Paradox game since you can just switch to playing as the different dynasty if you want.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

marktheando posted:

Actually, CK is expressly looking at history through the lens of dynasties. Obviously in a game about dynasties, a dynasty that dies out is a failure. I don't think it implies that the ruler themself is to blame or somehow a poor ruler.

It's much like how EUIV looks at history through the lens of states and concludes that the destruction of a state is the failure state of the game rather than losing its dynasty, or even its culture and religion.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary A Fresh Coat of Paint​

Fairly small:
- option to give cultures/faiths/realms colour of your choice
- some bugfixes

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Aw… I was hoping for coats of arms. But that's immensely helpful too (in fact probably more so, but I want my weirdo shield dammit!.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So you're saying that if I form Prussia I get to color it yellow?

Yes, good.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dwesa posted:

- option to give cultures/faiths/realms colour of your choice

FINALLY

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Seriously, this has been needed for so long.

What titles are people gonna hold now that they don't have stupid colors?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

It would sure have been nice for the game that I'm getting close to finishing (AD 1447 as of when I quit last night); I (more-or-less Khazaria's starting territory) am Haymanot, which is blue on the religion map, while the Mongols (influenced by the Khazars) are Kabarite, which is a very slightly different blue. Making everything that's 'me' match would be really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes. YES.