Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The Russell indexes rebalance after close today which could do some funky stuff.

I took a flyer on 500 shares of CNSP at 2.07 because it hit awhile back on a screener I ran and it’s getting added to the 2000 but that was just so I could feel like I was a part of something, there’s probably better options.

Hey, alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Nice :)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

paternity suitor posted:

I wish I had the super power to be so dumb yet confident that not only did I believe this, but I decided to share it with the world.

It's like a scam email with a bunch of typos. It's stupid because then it only attracts stupid people, who are more likely to pay for their discord or whatever in hopes of getting rich. There's just dozens of these out there and they all suck.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Wifi Toilet posted:

Well this is interesting, I had Aug 20 7.50 TRCH puts and I was up on them since TRCH was under $5 this morning. Then the merger happened and now I have Aug 20 7.50 MMAT puts but MMAT is around $8.

There was a reverse split in there, you sure your strike didn't adjust? I think you should have the option for 50 shares at 15? Would be weird if it just stayed at 100 for 7.5 after the split.

I liquidated on Friday for what I bought the puts for. I had the ones that needed preferred shares to exercise, and I lost confidence that a market was going to be created for them. These guys are definitely good at stock manipulation. Reverse splits, reverse mergers, dividends as potentially untradeable preferred shares, ticker changes... All done on different days over more than a week, so the options are all fragmented and no one is sure what the hell they are holding anymore.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Sorry, new here

I literally can't tell if this is snark and sarcasm, or a legitimate strategy

Please advise :ohdear:
the "being dumb" thing is sincere in the sense that you don't really have to be smart to be a good day trader. you don't have to do fundamental analysis, you don't have to read SEC filings (but sometimes it does help), you don't have to know anything about accounting or running a business. you don't even have to know what a company that you're trading actually does. you don't have to understand macroeconomics or know what the federal reserve bank does. in fact it's often better to not have strong opinions about what is going to happen. making predictions tends to get you in trouble because it can make you biased and less willing to accept when the market tells you you're wrong. trading well just relies on finding opportunities to enter a trade where you have a positive expectancy (if you're right, you make x, if you're wrong, you lose 0.5x... in this scenario you can be wrong 60% of the time and still make money in the long run).

the latter part about not holding positions overnight is sincere for day traders because if you're day trading, you're putting relatively large positions (as a % of your capital) into single trades and you're looking to profit from them in the very short term. if you hold those positions overnight, you expose yourself to certain risk factors that tend to play out after hours. you can get various catalysts that come out when the market isn't open and you can't manage your risk. stop losses don't work after hours or when the market is completely closed.

with that said, swing trading (in which you hold positions overnight) is a perfectly good way to trade. it's just not what i like to do.

for INVESTING, not holding overnight is just an impossible thing. you have to hold overnight. and in the long term, the major indices do see most of their gains OUTSIDE of market hours (meaning they tend to open or gap higher) rather than during market hours. but this isn't the investing thread, this is the trading thread.

i have my retirement accounts that are in passive index funds that i never touch. then i have my trading account that is 100% cash at the end of the day >99% of the time. occasionally i will swing a trade overnight but it's rare and i do it on very small size. no more than a few % of my account

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 29, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Why is there a limit on day trades if you have less than 25k in your account?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Dot Com Bubble.

Literally that was the solution to make sure it didn't happen again and gently caress over new investors. (I don't think it does what it intended to do)

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Picked up some xpo today. We'll see how it does.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

btw for anyone interested in swing trading, check out qullamaggie's website https://qullamaggie.com/ and after that his twitch stream (he streams most days for 1-2 hours at the market open). he's probably going to end up becoming a billionaire in a few years and he teaches his stuff for free on his stream so it's worth taking a look at imo. he doesn't sell anything, and it's pretty rare that a successful trader puts out this much content without it being a funnel into some kind of paid service

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Given that I fully endorsed AHT and RYCEY, the smartest thing you can do when picking stocks is look at my portfolio and then not buy what I'm holding.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

a fatguy baldspot posted:

government hates poor people

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Given that I fully endorsed AHT and RYCEY, the smartest thing you can do when picking stocks is look at my portfolio and then not buy what I'm holding.

I bought more rycey today lmao

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

pixaal posted:

Dot Com Bubble.

Literally that was the solution to make sure it didn't happen again and gently caress over new investors. (I don't think it does what it intended to do)
yeah it just incentivizes people to trade options which is objectively riskier

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

I'm holding a decent bit of RYCEY but I think the company is going to be paying off quite a bit of debt for the next decade or so. Just generating revenue "per mile" is clearly not the way to go, it seems.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

The fact that so many rural people have been basically brainwashed to vote for leaders who dont represent their best interests and in many cases actively work against their interests makes me sad.

Yes, but

Uranium 235 posted:

government hates poor people

RYCEY had something like a 77% dilution last year. Now that existing shareholders have been burned maybe I ought to buy some. Thread darling AHT also looks like an acceptable risk.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Your stock picks are fantastic, they only dip because I buy them too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Should I sell half my ASPS now that its nearing 50% and use that money to buy AHT now that its having a fire sale :thunk:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Leal posted:

Should I sell half my ASPS now that its nearing 50% and use that money to buy AHT now that its having a fire sale :thunk:

Yes. Join us on the rollercoaster to hell.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I got most of my initial RYCEY investment back from a mysterious surprise dividend back when they got bailed out at the beginning of Covid bonanza. It was roughly $1.89 per share iirc. I like my RYCEY but the red flags keep on coming.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i'm gonna let my AHT ride and keep covered calling it until it was free or they take it away from me.

these ITUB calls were a loving turd though

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Piled some more AHT into my bag with the sale along with some Aug CC's

Also bought a few more LUV calls, I like the chances of it getting back over $60 again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
GYST up 63% today; this regularly swings up and down, I guess. They mine bitcoin, so it’s probably poo poo, but who knows?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I :lol:’d when I saw ARK is putting together a buttcoin ETF

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Why are all the WSB people going nuts over SOFI? All the posts are about them buying it, but I can't seem to find any info on why they expect the stock to take off.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Anyone got thoughts or regurgitations on climate control? Any long shots on disruptors in the industry, just grab some ingersoll rand, etc? Gotta be huge portions of the country that weren't a market for hvac companies suddenly going that way, right?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

ChocNitty posted:

Why are all the WSB people going nuts over SOFI? All the posts are about them buying it, but I can't seem to find any info on why they expect the stock to take off.

Oh please, oh please.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bobua posted:

Anyone got thoughts or regurgitations on climate control? Any long shots on disruptors in the industry, just grab some ingersoll rand, etc? Gotta be huge portions of the country that weren't a market for hvac companies suddenly going that way, right?

is there a way to invest in brownouts by oregon and washington and western canadian power companies? Because the power infrastructure there is absolutely not prepared for several million new A/C units running whenever it hits 85.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Baddog posted:

There was a reverse split in there, you sure your strike didn't adjust? I think you should have the option for 50 shares at 15? Would be weird if it just stayed at 100 for 7.5 after the split.

I liquidated on Friday for what I bought the puts for. I had the ones that needed preferred shares to exercise, and I lost confidence that a market was going to be created for them. These guys are definitely good at stock manipulation. Reverse splits, reverse mergers, dividends as potentially untradeable preferred shares, ticker changes... All done on different days over more than a week, so the options are all fragmented and no one is sure what the hell they are holding anymore.

Fidelity doesn't have the greatest interface, it says "ADJ" next to the ticker but none of the other numbers have changed. Says I'm currently up about 8% though so I'll hold it for a few more days, only have around $300 in it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A/C units and gas generators are probably a safe bet now that the pacific jetstream runs through the midwest, baking the west coast and deep freezing Texas.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is the supply even there to support the demand?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Lost 3k on AHT so far. Hate this thread

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

aht is a long play, always has been.

i expect mine to go up around the holiday.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

You guys are really sure about AHT when there's a decent chance the delta variant tanks any possibility of travel returning to normal this year.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

BlackMK4 posted:

Is the supply even there to support the demand?

In the utilities space, absolutely not. I spec diesel generators for pumping stations and am seeing lead times that are normally 20-22 weeks at 52+. Any one part running in short supply can completely hold up delivery of a genset, and there are quite a few parts

Residential is a whole different beast though

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I told everyone I could as loudly as I could that 1.8 to 7 was it, that was the pump and 7 was where the dump started. AHT is a pile of poo poo, but it's good enough to rot at 4-6 dollars and no more, not until they get out of basically 2 years of losing money.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

D-Pad posted:

You guys are really sure about AHT when there's a decent chance the delta variant tanks any possibility of travel returning to normal this year.

Biden won't shut things down for any reason.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't want AHT just to hold, the main reason to have it is to mill calls for 20% of the price. You can sell a $5 Aug call on a stock that costs $4.64 for $1, that's why I picked up more today.

D-Pad posted:

I think there's a good chance they don't close up anything now that covid deaths can be placed on unvaxed individuals.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I'm kinda late for looking at this AHT bandwagon but when their press releases say "we're gonna use the money to buy hotel debt" it does not sound promising.

That being said, I wish you folks many moneys.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Lucky for us smart investors we know stocks only go up when the company has sound strategies.

Good luck in your toilets full of pee, AHT bag holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Source4Leko posted:

Biden won't shut things down for any reason.

I agree, but I assume AHT has plenty of international properties? I actually don't know much about it. Also international travelers coming into the US will be low as delta takes off.