Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
no you can just paste the text here or use another source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nilbop posted:

i mean, not in this thread

it doesn't matter anywhere anyplace anytime

greek govt being corrupt little shits 5 years earlier didn't have to condemn the greek working class to a decade of poverty, EU could easily afford to help greece out of whatever mess they got themselves into. they just decided not to do it because thjey didn't have to

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Truga posted:

it doesn't matter anywhere anyplace anytime

greek govt being corrupt little shits 5 years earlier didn't have to condemn the greek working class to a decade of poverty, EU could easily afford to help greece out of whatever mess they got themselves into. they just decided not to do it because thjey didn't have to

you don't get it, unnecessary suffering is amusing to him
like tearing the wings off a butterfly, except it's people

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

no it really does matter whether they knew or not and just believing that they did isn't the same thing

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it really doesn't matter, it's completely unimportant actually

but they did

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

"it doesn't matter what they did, it matters what i feel they did"

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nilbop posted:

i mean, not in this thread

why don't you just say whether or not you're for collective punishment and save everyone a lot of time.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

you'd think at some point one of you would've pegged that you can't substantiate this bollocks you've all decided to believe like a big masturbatory cult

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Either the EU knew, in which case it's culpable, or it didn't, and it should never have been allowed to dictate economic policy due to sheer incompetence.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Nilbop posted:

you'd think at some point one of you would've pegged that they can't substantiate this bollocks you've all decided to believe like a big masturbatory cult

two entire books and a nyt article have been offered, but since they weren't spoon-fed to you word by word, yeah I guess they are bullocks

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

so a paywalled article that contains information so elusive that a half dozen of you have now been unable to find it elsewhere, and a reference to what i can only assume was MiddleOne's response to Private Speech, where he cited Blyth's Austerity and Tooze's Crashed to argue that germany wanted to discipline the southern countries

not that the eu knew that the greek government had made their numbers out of fairy dust

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The Greek government saw the economic collapse comming and could have mitigated it, but intentionally chose to obfuscate those informations to amass more money for the corrupt leadership instead.
In the end the northern European states may have built a profit from this, but it's absolutely incorrect to claim that the Greek government was a blameless victim.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

The Greek government saw the economic collapse comming and could have mitigated it, but intentionally chose to obfuscate those informations to amass more money for the corrupt leadership instead.
In the end the northern European states may have built a profit from this, but it's absolutely incorrect to claim that the Greek government was a blameless victim.

yeah that's what people are claiming, if this is what passes for reading comprehension in the EU then the whole "we were tricked!" story seems quite possible

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

it IS the eu's fault because they knew what was going on and they worked with those crooks no problem

this is what you claimed, and this is what i asked you to substantiate.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's a pointless discussion, ultimately the EU wasn't willing to spend the money necessary to protect/rescue the southern economies.

And they had a pretty schizophrenic set of demands on what those countries should do, but largely lovely liberal ones.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not going to cite every citation on this wikipedia page, but the interesting bit seems to be this quote:

quote:

For example, at the beginning of 2010, it was discovered that Goldman Sachs and other banks had arranged financial transactions involving the use of derivatives to reduce the Greek government's nominal foreign currency debt, in a manner that the banks claim was consistent with EU debt reporting rules, but which others have argued were contrary at the very least to the spirit of the reporting rules of such instruments. Christoforos Sardelis, former head of Greece's Public Debt Management Agency, said that the country did not understand what it was buying. He also said he learned that "other EU countries such as Italy" had made similar deals (while similar cases were reported for other countries, including Belgium, Portugal, and even Germany).

The bolding there is mine.

Now, even if we lay aside the issue of whether these people should have been doing this sort of dealing, it seems like either a) the EU is a completely useless body that has no idea what any of its members are doing b) EU countries have been doing these sort of transactions with the knowledge of the EU. Of course we can now shift to quibbling about what is "the EU" and what isn't, but if the entire point of the European Project is a combined financial zone, wouldn't you want someone actually looking at the financial stuff all the respective members are doing?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

yeah that's what people are claiming, if this is what passes for reading comprehension in the EU then the whole "we were tricked!" story seems quite possible

So would you agree that Greece's problems where mostly home-grown, rather than the inevitable results from foreign capitalist suppressor, trying to kill the country to sell the parts? Because that seems to be an actual opinion.

At the worst, the EU did not manage to stop the Greek collapse. And I will give you that the member nations tried to negotiate any sort of advantage, when they tried to prop up that failed state.

Retelling it like colonists destabilising a country to steal their natural resources is a really biased view.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 29, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

So would you agree that Greece's problems where mostly home-grown, rather than the inevitable results from foreign capitalist suppressor, trying to kill the country to sell the parts? Because that seems to be an actual opinion.

At the worst, the EU did not manage to stop the Greek collapse. And I will give you that the member nations tried to negotiate any sort of advantage, when they tried to prop up that failed state.

Retelling it like colonists destabilising a country to steal their natural resources is a really biased view.

no i wouldn't agree, which you should know since i've written posts in this thread and they're not in the vein of your story
no, at worst the eu plunged them into collapse instead of extending a hand, which is what members of a union are supposed to do
every view is biased, welcome to real life

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 29, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Nilbop posted:

this is what you claimed, and this is what i asked you to substantiate.

i think i already replied to that request with an image macro

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/ecb/status/1409851396795645966

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nilbop posted:

you'd think at some point one of you would've pegged that you can't substantiate this bollocks you've all decided to believe like a big masturbatory cult

Well this economist living in the UK at the time worked out that the Greek government were not being entirely honest with their accounting "magic": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-1683481
Or have the BBC again, this time from 2001: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1095783.stm "Greece has one of the highest inflation rates in Europe. Public sector borrowing is also much higher than would be permitted normally under the EU rules governing entry to the project."
In setting the conditions for the creation of a common currency, EU members decreed that any country applying to join must keep its government budget deficit below 3 percent of GDP and aim for a surplus. The value of all outstanding public debt must also be below 60 percent of GDP. Greece has failed to hit this target, with debt at present equal to 105 percent of GDP, but several euro-zone countries also fall short on this measure."

The EU wanted Greece in the EMU, nobody was going to look too closely at the books because this was a great moment to expand the size of the Eurozone at a time when the currency was lagging.

You can find more, but I've got to make dinner. Just use Google, it's really effective!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/goldmans-greek-gambit/

"In 2001, Greece was looking for ways to disguise its mounting financial troubles. The Maastricht Treaty required all eurozone member states to show improvement in their public finances, but Greece was heading in the wrong direction. Then Goldman Sachs came to the rescue, arranging a secret loan of 2.8 billion euros for Greece, disguised as an off-the-books “cross-currency swap”—a complicated transaction in which Greece’s foreign-currency debt was converted into a domestic-currency obligation using a fictitious market exchange rate.

As a result, about 2 percent of Greece’s debt magically disappeared from its national accounts. Christoforos Sardelis, then head of Greece’s Public Debt Management Agency, later described the deal to Bloomberg Business as “a very sexy story between two sinners.” For its services, Goldman received a whopping 600 million euros ($793 million), according to Spyros Papanicolaou, who took over from Sardelis in 2005. That came to about 12 percent of Goldman’s revenue from its giant trading and principal-investments unit in 2001—which posted record sales that year. The unit was run by Blankfein."

"Then the deal turned sour. After the 9/11 attacks, bond yields plunged, resulting in a big loss for Greece because of the formula Goldman had used to compute the country’s debt repayments under the swap. By 2005, Greece owed almost double what it had put into the deal, pushing its off-the-books debt from 2.8 billion euros to 5.1 billion. In 2005, the deal was restructured and that 5.1 billion euros in debt locked in. Perhaps not incidentally, Mario Draghi, now head of the European Central Bank and a major player in the current Greek drama, was then managing director of Goldman’s international division."

Wait a minute, 2001?

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2012/apr/26/greece-europe-north-south-divide

"in 1999, the year whose economic statistics were used by the European Council at Santa Maria da Feira in June 2000 to endorse Greece's eurozone participation.

Greece's performance was also positive with regard to the other nominal convergence criteria (inflation rate, long-term interest rates, public debt and exchange rate). It is worth recalling that the decision endorsing Greece's eurozone admission was made after exhaustive scrutiny of the Greek economy and respective reports by the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the Economic and Financial Committee."

"However, this change had the effect of increasing government deficits prior to 2004 and thus damaged Greece's reputation. The allegation that Greece had entered the eurozone by falsifying data made headlines in numerous newspapers around the world. Unfortunately, the assertion was also adopted by many politicians in the eurozone and is repeated to this day.

But the allegation indicates ignorance, not to say hypocrisy. Because even including defence expenditure upon order and not delivery, under the new recording method the revised state deficit figures in the critical year (1999) became 3.1% of GDP against 2.5% of GDP previously. The precise figure was actually 3.07%, according to Eurostat (AMECO). This deficit is still lower than the equivalent revised deficits of other member states that were assessed on the basis of 1997 statistics, and which formed the first wave of member states that created the euro area in 1999. The AMECO website shows that many other member states entered the euro area with state deficits that were higher than 3.1% of GDP. But there is little public reference to this fact, even though many of these now manifest similar problems to Greece."

I'm lolling pretty hard right now.
Btw neither Goldman Sachs, or draghi , or the ECA or the ECB or the EC or the EFC of Eurostat or indeed any of the big institutional lenders suffered any consequences.no one was prosecuted, no one was shunned or shamed.

Only the left wing idiots left holding the bag payed the price, as a example for the others.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's one hell of a hot potato game.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Ya know, we tend to view these crisis as these big complex things because gosh it's so huge and intricate and so many moving parts, but really just stop a little bit and see "who profited?who came out ahead?" And sure enough, there's your problem.
Like old stoneface said "where's the money?"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Ya know, we tend to view these crisis as these big complex things because gosh it's so huge and intricate and so many moving parts, but really just stop a little bit and see "who profited?who came out ahead?" And sure enough, there's your problem.
Like old stoneface said "where's the money?"

you can find the money in the hands of the nearest Deutsche Bank ceo.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

The EU wanted Greece in the EMU, nobody was going to look too closely at the books because this was a great moment to expand the size of the Eurozone at a time when the currency was lagging.

This was never a secret. I recall it being reported in mainstream newspapers around the Euro's introduction ca. ~2002.

The whole "oh but we didn't know they were cooking the books" is basically the Dolchstoß-myth of neoliberal bankers and their cronies that was invented a decade later.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pope Hilarius II posted:

This was never a secret. I recall it being reported in mainstream newspapers around the Euro's introduction ca. ~2002.

The whole "oh but we didn't know they were cooking the books" is basically the Dolchstoß-myth of neoliberal bankers and their cronies that was invented a decade later.

B-B-B-BUT WHERE ARE YOUR SOURCERINOS NOOOOOOOOO
\/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

on a somewhat different topic, orban's been buying advertisements across the EU. You can help research what's the network of newspapers that have no qualms supporting the orban regime

https://twitter.com/L_deJonge/status/1409805688080011265
https://twitter.com/L_deJonge/status/1409972097191972866

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I vividly remember the media talking about Italy (among others) cooking their books to get into the Euro and the "let's look the other way for the sake of more ~European unity~" attitude back then. [anecdotal]

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

double nine posted:

on a somewhat different topic, orban's been buying advertisements across the EU. You can help research what's the network of newspapers that have no qualms supporting the orban regime

Sweden's largest morning paper accepted CCP-ads earlier this year so I heavily doubt morality is factor in most ad-sales departments.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

double nine posted:

https://twitter.com/L_deJonge/status/1409805688080011265
https://twitter.com/L_deJonge/status/1409972097191972866

What exactly is he peddling in those?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

What exactly is he peddling in those?

Looks like the ad in question is this, in various languages:

https://twitter.com/PKPeterKarlsson/status/1409983098381430785

https://twitter.com/nellydidelot/status/1409808820470267904

It's titled "The future of the European Union - Hungary's Proposals". Trusting on google autotranslate and what little French I remember, it's basically a bunch of "the mean EU shouldn't meddle in national affairs", "migrants are scary and should be kept out", and also "Serbia should become a EU member".

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Looks like the ad in question is this, in various languages:

https://twitter.com/PKPeterKarlsson/status/1409983098381430785

https://twitter.com/nellydidelot/status/1409808820470267904

It's titled "The future of the European Union - Hungary's Proposals". Trusting on google autotranslate and what little French I remember, it's basically a bunch of "the mean EU shouldn't meddle in national affairs", "migrants are scary and should be kept out", and also "Serbia should become a EU member".
5. is basically "we must ensure a future for the European people during the upcoming apocalypse".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well he's right about the apocalypse being imminent

too bad about the future of european people tho, we have none lmao

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Orban is going hard for the FORT EVROPA "shoot all immigrants at the border on sight" approach.

We will be seeing a lot of climate refugees in the coming decades, as droughts and heat waves destroy crop season after crop season. Perfect conditions to stoke fear about the "ravenous hordes coming to mooch all our welfare while also taking all white people's jobs somehow".

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://amp.theguardian.com/news/2021/jul/18/viktor-orban-using-nso-spyware-in-assault-on-media-data-suggests

EU being completely loving toothless about this gently caress is really starting to piss me off.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Serbia doesn't want to be an EU member. We are stronkest alone without your MIGRANTS and REGULATIONS.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

we also recently saw the ECHR affirm the Human Right for bosses to suspend and fire employees for wearing headscarves or "religious symbols"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/15/eu-companies-can-ban-employees-wearing-headscarves-religious-symbols

this is a great victory for neutrality in Europe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

webcams for christ posted:

we also recently saw the ECHR affirm the Human Right for bosses to suspend and fire employees for wearing headscarves or "religious symbols"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/15/eu-companies-can-ban-employees-wearing-headscarves-religious-symbols

this is a great victory for neutrality in Europe

Unless it's a cross then you can't be fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

DarkCrawler posted:

https://amp.theguardian.com/news/2021/jul/18/viktor-orban-using-nso-spyware-in-assault-on-media-data-suggests

EU being completely loving toothless about this gently caress is really starting to piss me off.

I mean he is an extremely popular democratically elected politician with immunity from prosecution, it's not exactly easy to do anything about him.

The best they can do is apply PR and financial pressure, which they already do.

e: If everyone else agrees then they could suspend their priviledges, but Poland definitely wouldn't and possibly some more rightwing places like Austria and Denmark might be against it too.

They can also be fined significant amounts of money but only if they actually break any regulations, which they strenuously try to avoid.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 20, 2021