Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

sporklift posted:

The Garth Brooks box set goes on sale for sub $20 on Amazon. I bought the three box box set last time lol. (Yeah there are three variants and it cost 40 ish bux) I gave one to a goon as a prize for listening to my radio show (they gave it to thier momma), kept one and one will be a hilarious white elephant gift if I ever go to a social gathering again.

Edit. Wow if you are a prime member it is $18 haha holy poo poo.

Uhhh yeah you’re right it’s loving $18 right now for like four albums that I actually kinda dig!!! Thank you for pointing this out that was an instant buy for me hahaha

Edit: lol posted this before I read the following pages where this entire thread goes all in on Garth. Can’t wait for all our reports when they start arriving

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 25, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Fors Yard posted:

Garth the Mute

Fors Yard posted:

De-Brooksed in the Garthatorium

Woof!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone who lives in driving distance of Providence RI and needs new speakers, this is a deal:
https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d/providence-kef-audiophile-speakers/7335978602.html

Edit: I guess not an incredible deal, original MSRP was about $400 and it looked like it was a model that went on deep discount down the line. So it’s a little better than half price for some fairly well regarded speakers in what looks like good condition. And a matching center if you wanted one. They look nice too.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 25, 2021

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Fors Yard posted:

De-Brooksed in the Garthatorium

I've been chuckling about this all morning, thank you. Also after listening to one Garth Brooks song (Two Pina Coladas) I've decided I'm going to give the entire collection to a country friend of mine as a gag gift.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Two Pina Coladas sucks! At least gives The Thunder Rolls a shot, I feel that's his best song.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Read After Burning posted:

Two Pina Coladas sucks! At least gives The Thunder Rolls a shot, I feel that's his best song.

I think you’ve forgotten the most overplayed drinking song since Piano Man. Who hasn’t drunkenly shouted out “You can kiss my rear end!” during the third or fourth replay of Low Places at a Midwestern dive bar in struggling rust belt town?

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Read After Burning posted:

Okay, will do. I just went to his Best of Spotify playlist and hit shuffle, so blame them for putting that song on there. Thanks for the recs.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I've been using this Vinyl Buddy kit (https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Buddy-Cleaner-Ultimate-Cleaning/dp/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=vinyl+buddy&qid=1624636668&sr=8-3) for a bit and love it, but I just ran out of cleaning solution. I'm using is just to get small bits of dust off mostly clean records. Can I make more solution at home - maybe a distilled water and isopropyl alcohol mix?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

You can also buy more solution directly from their website.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dantheman650 posted:

I've been using this Vinyl Buddy kit (https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Buddy-Cleaner-Ultimate-Cleaning/dp/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=vinyl+buddy&qid=1624636668&sr=8-3) for a bit and love it, but I just ran out of cleaning solution. I'm using is just to get small bits of dust off mostly clean records. Can I make more solution at home - maybe a distilled water and isopropyl alcohol mix?

Distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, and a drop or two of some kind of surfactant works. A lot of the sprays you can buy are basically just that. For a surfactant you can use liquid soap, I’d just use something without added scents and stuff like that.

There are a bunch of recipes online.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Okay. Last one. But this one has an audio sample

Telegarth.mp3

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Ballz posted:

You can also buy more solution directly from their website.

It's been sold out for a few weeks.

BigFactory posted:

Distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, and a drop or two of some kind of surfactant works. A lot of the sprays you can buy are basically just that. For a surfactant you can use liquid soap, I’d just use something without added scents and stuff like that.

There are a bunch of recipes online.

Sweet, that's what I thought!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ballz posted:

Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comatorium is now available on Vinyl Me, Please. I think a one-month subscription is like, $50 now but that's still cheaper than the regular reissue.

Thanks for updating when the new stuff went up. I'm thinking I'll do a three month because they announced the tracks through September and there's some really good stuff available in there.

Reddit link for those curious https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylMePlease/comments/o7ktxw/july_sept_vmp_releases_at_a_glance/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fors Yard posted:

Telegarth.mp3

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

Telegarth.mp3
Goddamn...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

goldmine

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Picked up. Sounds really well for a vinyl release. The last four tracks build for an amazing ending.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 26, 2021

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

zaepg posted:

Picked up. Sounds really well for a vinyl release. The last four tracks build for an amazing ending.

Endless Fantasy is also a fantastic pressing. I'm debating ordering the Summer Singles right now, but I definitely trust Polyvinyl's quality.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Now you can let Bezos pick out a record for you each month:

https://variety.com/shop/amazon-vinyl-of-the-month-1235005376

Actually, this is a better link, because it alerted me to the fact that this would satisfy all my Zeppelin and Aretha needs:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095WFPM47/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_HA6YNFXT4ACW5YRQZZSG

And it answered some pressing questions I had, like:

Q:Dou you get a vinyl player to play it on?
A: Seriously? No!

Good to know!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
gently caress that poo poo

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was going to post a long reply that basically amounted to "eh" myself. I guess it consists of re issues of super popular records from that era? Things that are probably pretty easy to pick up new or used. My tastes in music are pretty borked so the majority of artists they have listed I wouldn't be all that interested in unless I found an album for a couple of bucks or something. Certainly not for $25 a month.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Encouraging!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I object to lumping The Clash in with Pink Floyd. :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
There's a record store in my area and he posts short videos on facebook that show you the things he just got in stock. Except it's not the old used records it's all the boring pop albums and overpriced dad rock reissues you can get anywhere. The one time he posted the used stuff I went right down there because by some miracle he'd got a bunch of poo poo like Lydia Lunch and Butthole Surfers. He recently bought out the old stock of an actually good record store but gave me a non-specific answer as to when he'd be rolling it out. I know not everyone has the same tastes but wouldn't it just generally be to his advantage to show off the merchandise you can't just buy absolutely anywhere that sells records?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Now you can let Bezos pick out a record for you each month:

https://variety.com/shop/amazon-vinyl-of-the-month-1235005376

Actually, this is a better link, because it alerted me to the fact that this would satisfy all my Zeppelin and Aretha needs:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095WFPM47/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_HA6YNFXT4ACW5YRQZZSG

And it answered some pressing questions I had, like:

Q:Dou you get a vinyl player to play it on?
A: Seriously? No!

Good to know!

One person saying "vinyl player" and the other one scoffing at the idea of actually listening to the record they purchase is like someone designed my own personal hell and is slowly revealing it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

115 in Portland today. Guess all my records are warped now lol.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

CPL593H posted:

One person saying "vinyl player" and the other one scoffing at the idea of actually listening to the record they purchase is like someone designed my own personal hell and is slowly revealing it.

I dunno. I'm getting more enjoyment out of the reviews -- like the one from the guy who is mad because he would rather pick his own records, and therefore is cancelling his subscription to a service premised around "they pick the record for you" -- than I would giving Bezos $24.99 a month to send me Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac LPs to play on my Grailzspinner. It hasn't cost me a thing so far.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The forecast says 101 in Massachusetts tomorrow and I really hope climate change deniers just start dying from heatstroke.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

CPL593H posted:

I think the question is if the service through Amazon provides you with a turntable as well.

I prefer this one:

Q: Are the records actually pressed vinyl?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what the gently caress else were they gonna be? pictures of the records and a digital download?

wait gently caress don't answer that

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

hexwren posted:

what the gently caress else were they gonna be? pictures of the records and a digital download?

wait gently caress don't answer that

It’s just like those art cards that late night hosts hold up for musical guests these days because i guess labels are too cheap to send actual records out anymore.

James Corden called this out to his producer a couple months back and the official excuse was that it’s easier to make it look good on camera than using real records. Pish posh i say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSFrpTAsE44

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

It’s just like those art cards that late night hosts hold up for musical guests these days because i guess labels are too cheap to send actual records out anymore.

James Corden called this out to his producer a couple months back and the official excuse was that it’s easier to make it look good on camera than using real records. Pish posh i

They are called "flats". When I worked at Sam Goody in the 90s we would get stacks of them for new releases to make displays out of. Used to decorate my lovely apartments with the cooler ones. Wish I had kept some of them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

James Corden called this out to his producer a couple months back and the official excuse was that it’s easier to make it look good on camera than using real records. Pish posh i say

Even the labels don't want to pay these prices.

wakka wakka!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

They are called "flats". When I worked at Sam Goody in the 90s we would get stacks of them for new releases to make displays out of. Used to decorate my lovely apartments with the cooler ones. Wish I had kept some of them.

There was an independent record store I went to when I was a teenager/20 something dunce that would always have a big box of flats you could rummage through and take for free. I think I still have a Son Volt flat I got there. I saw it pretty recently digging through old stuff. It was a cool store. I bought my first bootleg there (part of a rush show on cassette. RTB tour. It was sweet).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

pwn posted:

I don't know if it's being too cheap. Why spend money sending a record to a late night host just to hold up for a few seconds? Back in the days where you were printing and selling a ton of this stuff, sure, send them a CD. But now? It's a waste of money. I wouldn't be surprised if they just get sent a digital file that they print out and apply to a cardboard backing and call it good.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

There's a record store in my area and he posts short videos on facebook that show you the things he just got in stock. Except it's not the old used records it's all the boring pop albums and overpriced dad rock reissues you can get anywhere. The one time he posted the used stuff I went right down there because by some miracle he'd got a bunch of poo poo like Lydia Lunch and Butthole Surfers. He recently bought out the old stock of an actually good record store but gave me a non-specific answer as to when he'd be rolling it out. I know not everyone has the same tastes but wouldn't it just generally be to his advantage to show off the merchandise you can't just buy absolutely anywhere that sells records?

It's generally advantageous for a record store to sell as many records as possible and I have to figure they're going to sell 100 copies of boring dad rock for every one copy of Lydia Lunch so yeah, I can see why they'd advertise that they have boring dad rock.

e: Although I'll allow that the only people actually watching some Facebook video about recent arrivals at a record store is probably going to skew much more heavily towards Lydia Lunch listeners

Barry fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

The one time he posted the used stuff I went right down there because by some miracle he'd got a bunch of poo poo like...Butthole Surfers.

Nice! Jealous. I always keep my fingers crossed for an Independent Worm Saloon or Electriclarryland every time I swing by my local place (although the cover of the latter makes me wince).

BigFactory posted:

There was an independent record store I went to when I was a teenager/20 something dunce that would always have a big box of flats you could rummage through and take for free. I think I still have a Son Volt flat I got there. I saw it pretty recently digging through old stuff. It was a cool store. I bought my first bootleg there (part of a rush show on cassette. RTB tour. It was sweet).

My local places has 'em and sells them for..I forget, 50 cents a pop or so.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nothing better than getting a handful of records in the mail.

Top left is the newest release from the Powers/Rolin duo comprised of a 12 string guitar and dulcimer. Here's a link:
https://aepowersrolinduo.bandcamp.com/album/strange-fortune

The other 3 were picked up for pretty cheap on Tompkins Square's Bandcamp sale last week.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I got two of the 2x2 Kallax shelf sets from Ikea over the weekend, and I'm loving them already. :dance: My collection is ORGANIZED now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just wanna Cream Corn from the Socket of Davis EP for under 50 dang dollars. :argh: