Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mirthless posted:

the simpsons is a monument to the concept that "All good things must come to an end", a huge, dying husk of a sitcom that has become so immense that it doesn't cycle through staff and ideas so much as accrete them, and eventually when it has become sufficiently massive it will collapse into a singularity and rip a hole through the fabric of network television

This is 100% true. When Simpsons came it was a critique of society and sitcoms that had perfect family. It was unheard of to have a sitcom where the family wasn't a perfect nuclear family. It was unheard to have cartoons with adult jokes. Simpsons has become so popular and be around so long that it has become the status quo. It is this bizarre cargo cult of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

who the gently caress is still watching the simpsons... wtf man

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Shwqa posted:

This is 100% true. When Simpsons came it was a critique of society and sitcoms that had perfect family. It was unheard of to have a sitcom where the family wasn't a perfect nuclear family. It was unheard to have cartoons with adult jokes. Simpsons has become so popular and be around so long that it has become the status quo. It is this bizarre cargo cult of itself.

what? plenty of imperfect families were on tv before the Simpsons. the Brady bunch? all in the family?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lpzie posted:

There's an entire thread on this very forum full of people who still watch the Simpsons, it's hosed up I know

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lpzie posted:

It's been on a downward trend for a will but still has around 3 million people watching it lmao.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_episodes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I remember like a decade and a half ago some church (I don't remember which at all but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it was southern baptist) declared Homer to be like, role model dad of the year, because he took his family to church every Sunday.

You know, the guy who spends all his time in a bar and chokes his children, sure.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

I remember like a decade and a half ago some church (I don't remember which at all but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it was southern baptist) declared Homer to be like, role model dad of the year, because he took his family to church every Sunday.

You know, the guy who spends all his time in a bar and chokes his children, sure.

You know, the early episodes where Marge drags everyone to church really did make them seem like a real family. My family went to church every Sunday and we all hated it too except for Mom.

Edit: Oh, and the episode where Homer and Marge go sit in a parked car in the garage to have an argument. That was another moment that was oddly "real" for a cartoon at the time.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Jun 29, 2021

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Shame Boy posted:

And who also had an episode where he stopped going to church for a few weeks until nearly burning to death, and often falls asleep in church, and it's often dragged to church by his wife, and who has joined a cult.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you can't post this and not post the gif version

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Why are those extremely rich people so sad

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

camoseven posted:

Why are those extremely rich people so sad

Their taxes went up a little bit

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

camoseven posted:

What is a HENRY

Jazerus posted:

HENRY gif forever

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

also pretty good:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

AnimeIsTrash posted:

3 million people watching it

:eyepop:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shwqa posted:

the first season actually has some fairly depressing overtones to it and feels like it leans a bit too much on the anti-Cosby show angle. it's almost quaint to think back about how every school outright banned any simpsons branded clothing or paraphernalia overnight because it was considered that edgy at the time. the same goes for beavis and butthead as american parents, educators and general busybodies had a collective meltdown over it in the early 90s, while today the edge on it would be considered too dull to cut butter

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My mom never let me watch the simpsons because it was too adult and vulgar, but had no problem with me playing Vice City at like 7 because she knew I could tell the difference between real violence and fake violence

I think she just didnt like the simpsons

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

They should do a Simpsons spin-off where Bart and Lisa are adult millennials, as if they aged from the pilot episode in real time.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BonHair posted:

They should do a Simpsons spin-off where Bart and Lisa are adult millennials, as if they aged from the pilot episode in real time.

Marge is antivax and Homer has killed two people and walked thanks to stand-your-ground laws.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Danaru posted:

My mom never let me watch the simpsons because it was too adult and vulgar, but had no problem with me playing Vice City at like 7 because she knew I could tell the difference between real violence and fake violence

I think she just didnt like the simpsons

she was protecting you from the rampant homophobia

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Marge is antivax and Homer has killed two people and walked thanks to stand-your-ground laws.

Lisa is on onlyfans due to crippling student debt. Bart is either a hardcore libertarian. Milhouse is CEO of some successful tech startup.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BonHair posted:

Lisa is on onlyfans due to crippling student debt.

I’m listening

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a person could have started their career on the simpsons and be retired by by now

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

mr. burns is still alive. the pilot features bart discovering his adrenochrome operation under qwik-e-mart

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jazerus posted:

mr. burns is still alive. the pilot features bart discovering his adrenochrome operation under qwik-e-mart

this explains why Maggie is still a baby. why Homer has never been fired. why they lived in such relative luxury as children.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Mr Burns is such a great representation of the ruling class. More money than God, completely out of touch, will never die.

Even if Burns did die he would just be replaced by Boourns, who is the same as Burns in every way that matters.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

actually they might get a Hank Scorpio which would be better for everyone I think

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

camoseven posted:

What is a HENRY
temporarily embarrassed millionaires

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BonHair posted:

Lisa is on onlyfans due to crippling student debt. Bart is either a hardcore libertarian. Milhouse is CEO of some successful tech startup.

Milhouse is not a meme stock.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
i know a boomer lady who says she's proud of the fact she's never seen an episode of the simpsons. they're still out there, thinking it's a blasphemous cartoon because bart calls his father by his first name and disobeys him occasionally

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
The Simpsons is legendary because of how good like six seasons were, it's crazy to think about

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Milhouse has a polycule.

Bart is definitely libertarian and hates that his sister fucks:
edit:

Dang It Bhabhi! has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Jun 29, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

what? plenty of imperfect families were on tv before the Simpsons. the Brady bunch? all in the family?

Have you ever seen the Brady bunch? They are a model family with a giant house and a live in maid. Papa Brady must have been pulling in at least $400,000 a year in 2021 dollars

The only unusual thing about them is the dead spouses, which was a conscious decision to not make them divorced which would have somehow created more feelbads

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

crimedog posted:

The Simpsons is legendary because of how good like six seasons were, it's crazy to think about

And Family Guy did it in 3 seasons. After cancellation. Family Guy is never going to die.

At least American Dad is still good, thanks TBS.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

Milhouse would absolutely not be the CEO of a tech startup, Martin would. Milhouse would be way into crypto while not actually making any money on it ever, and there'd be an episode where he tries to insist that he still owns the NFT of Bart's soul.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Shwqa posted:

This is 100% true. When Simpsons came it was a critique of society and sitcoms that had perfect family. It was unheard of to have a sitcom where the family wasn't a perfect nuclear family. It was unheard to have cartoons with adult jokes.

Married With Children broke that mold first. When I first saw MWC I couldn't understand why it was so popular, these people are horrible. Then I realized it was really a live-action cartoon, and then it was funny.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Jazerus posted:

I don't have it! :(

Grace Baiting posted:

HENRY gif forever

There you go. Now to not download it so I won't have it next time this comes up.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And Family Guy did it in 3 seasons. After cancellation. Family Guy is never going to die.

At least American Dad is still good, thanks TBS.

is Family Guy legendary? I've literally never heard anyone drop a family guy quote into conversation in any context

e: I guess "giggity" counts

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

indigi posted:

is Family Guy legendary? I've literally never heard anyone drop a family guy quote into conversation in any context

Uhhhhhhhhhhh I'm sorry what?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

indigi posted:

I don't know about legendary, but it's not getting cancelled for a third time soon. Coming back from the axe not once, but twice, then being the main draw for like, a decade in the adult cartoons. It's not dying until McFarlane does, easiest paycheck in the world for him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.