Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Ricks' really reigned in the burping.

How long did you think that would stay interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought the burps and green drool were reflective of his drinking and he’s drinking less these days was canon?

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

Cloks posted:

buddy, being apolitical is a political stance

politics is inherent in everything

wubba lubba dub dubs!

Well guy, it's not doing too well for the comic business. Not so much Captain America comics talking about WW2, more like this being in recent Wonder Woman comics.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TheFattestPat posted:

Well guy, it's not doing too well for the comic business. Not so much Captain America comics talking about WW2, more like this being in recent Wonder Woman comics.

Oh no, incredibly bland regurgitation of commonly understood American rights? What awful fringe politics infesting your precious baby.

God what's next on the SJW hate train? "You have a right to be secure in persons and effects"? Lord have mercy on our souls.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheFattestPat posted:

ughhhhh wtf...gross!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Putting leftist progressive political ideas (or at least passing resemblances to those ideas) into mainstream superhero comic books is at least six years old at this point. Find something new to complain about.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Outraged to hear that "Wonder Woman" has become a vehicle for fringe political views.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Froghammer posted:

Putting leftist progressive political ideas (or at least passing resemblances to those ideas) into mainstream superhero comic books is at least six years old at this point. Find something new to complain about.

Try again buddy, X-Men was literally a response to the Civil Rights movement, with Xavier being an MLK figure and Magneto modeled as more of a Malcolm X figure. Comic Books have been pushing progressive ideology for at least 60-70 years because, at it's basic foundation, super heroes wouldn't be very good role models if they were racist, sexist, or phobic...

Like, try to imagine a world with a racist Superman, what kind of insane nightmare world that would be. Almost by definition heroes need to be accommodating and tolerant.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

josh04 posted:

Outraged to hear that "Wonder Woman" has become a vehicle for fringe political views.
Shocking to think that a comic book character created by a polyamorous psychologist into BDSM would have wild political ideas in it

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

ikanreed posted:

Oh no, incredibly bland regurgitation

yes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Try again buddy, X-Men was literally a response to the Civil Rights movement, with Xavier being an MLK figure and Magneto modeled as more of a Malcolm X figure. Comic Books have been pushing progressive ideology for at least 60-70 years because, at it's basic foundation, super heroes wouldn't be very good role models if they were racist, sexist, or phobic...

Like, try to imagine a world with a racist Superman, what kind of insane nightmare world that would be. Almost by definition heroes need to be accommodating and tolerant.

Ah, someone has seen The Boys

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Superman has been fighting racists for years. Some guy infiltrated their dumb clubs in the 40s and sent all their stupid catchphrases and rituals to be put into Superman radio plays where Superman would expose the KKK for how lovely and stupid they were.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheFattestPat posted:

Can you explain what's wrong with this?

Seems fine to me.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems a bit too on the nose like a very special episode of a children’s cartoon but the message is fine

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh my god someone is actually complaining that politics in comics is somehow a recent thing and also bad? Like, it's not a bit or a troll?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

lol, what a loser.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

TheFattestPat posted:

it took you four days to come up with that?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Bust Rodd posted:

A lot of people have, honestly. "What if Superman was evil" is pretty overplayed at this point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Isn't racist superman literally The Boys?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Superheroes is literally a genre of people using magic powers to enforce some kind of ideology on the world by force, it's the most political thing ever. If anything politics in comic books is too bland now, Grant Morrison made Animal Man an eco-terrorist and it was an awesome run.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I like Alan Moores analysis:

Alan Moore posted:

The superheroes themselves – largely written and drawn by creators who have never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them, much less the rights of a Jack Kirby or Jerry Siegel or Joe Schuster – would seem to be largely employed as cowardice compensators, perhaps a bit like the handgun on the nightstand. I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race. In fact, I think that a good argument can be made for D.W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation as the first American superhero movie, and the point of origin for all those capes and masks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The 90's were a good time for comics. Image had a good run but it feels like they're a bit spent right now. I'm not following anything these days, except I'm keeping an eye on Die.

Superheroes are pretty eugh played out for me.

This show was pretty good though. Very much a classic Rick and Morty and it made me laugh a lot, particularly the reveal with the Shoot Me Shoot Me guy.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm going to be in the minority, but that episode felt like the same joke over and over again with violence as the punchline and a few mean gags. Last week's episode actually had character development at least.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I prefer when R&M is sci-fi tropes deconstructed and then taken to absurd, yet logical conclusions

but the character interaction and development are also an integral part of it so :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This episode has character development, it’s just happening across a series of decoys. Think of the Muppet scene with Rick & Beth. That’s still character development, it still happened.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I'm going to be in the minority, but that episode felt like the same joke over and over again with violence as the punchline and a few mean gags. Last week's episode actually had character development at least.

I think the strength of Rick and Morty is that it can have both of those types of stories. Like a lot of others I enjoyed this week's more but I did still like last week's (I honestly feel like this would have been a stronger season opener but understand why that might have been a little overly ambitious)

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I like how the password one Rick uses for the decoys is the classic calculator "BOOBS" gag, and another one uses an ASCII penis.

So juvenile. So unnecessary. So Rick.

The “8==D” bit caught me off guard, so good

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Really coincidental all those decoys all decided to stick together instead of split up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sjs00 posted:

Really coincidental all those decoys all decided to stick together instead of split up

They were programmed to go on fun, self-contained terrestrial adventures.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That was phenomenal. It's a real feat of an episode to kill the cast off every two minutes but still have a coherent story with a mystery (who are the squid people), touching moments played for comedy and straight, and a poo poo ton of jokes.

This show at it's best is a big, loud, rude Twilight Zone, and this just that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Froghammer posted:

https://www.theonion.com/man-prefers-comic-books-that-don-t-insert-politics-into-1822632404

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheFattestPat posted:

Guess they should write better poo poo then

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zhar posted:

I like Alan Moores analysis:

This is one of those Alan Moore taking out of his as things given most comic creators at the dawn of the Superhero age were Jewish

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Seems fine to me.

Well are you buying them? Cause nobody else is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You're right, you proved it. I'm convinced.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Seems fine to me.

the problem is that this succlord is grabbing a megaphone and trying to talk the crowd down from the :coolzone:. Direct action gets the goods.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

TheFattestPat posted:

What are you even doing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TheFattestPat posted:

:lol: you are so bland you make a potato seem like a star fruit you precious little thing

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TheFattestPat posted:

There are enough things wrong with this statement that I have to believe that you're trolling and that you can't possibly be this stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Well that's the problem now. Sales are down because of terrible artwork and stories that are mostly about current politics. No subtlety at all, just bashing the readers with a sledgehammer in the face to support all things left wing. You can insult me all you want, but that's why we don't like them aren't buying them anymore.