Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you Serra Angel?
Yes, I am definitely Serra Angel. I can post here.
No, I am not Serra Angel. I can still post here, unfortunately.
View Results

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

like, okay, over a long enough time span the game will eventually shut down, but people who say that "game isn't fun -> game costs more money than it brings in -> game will close in a month" are frankly making two really enormous leaps (indicated by the ->) and shouldn't get indignant when someone acts puzzled about what they're saying

sure, it makes moral sense, but that really doesn't seem to be how the game industry works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I played a bit over the weekend out of morbid curiosity and the game has a ton of problems, but some potential.

Setting the difficulty to hard makes the game far more interesting. You actually like, have to care about ability use, your loadout, equipment. That said, it requires a bunch of grinding to get to that point, and should really introduce some more difficulty scaling to smooth that process. Normal difficulty is far too easy, plays like poo poo and is going to turn off a lot of players.

That said, game's still awfully unoptimized, the gear system is confusingly implemented at best, fairly poor, the card system is... maybe an interesting conceit, but I'm not sold on it, and the cost in materials to progress gets stupid very quickly, to go along with a lack of content, and queue times. The progression is also weird and gated, but that feels like it's easily tweaked and probably not an issue compared to everything else.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Scoss posted:

If Cryptic has any real strength as a studio, it's that they have somehow figured out how to keep a growing stable of low budget, unpolished, unpopular online games running profitably for over a decade.

Star Trek Online didn't survive by being a good game. It survived because there are several thousand cavemen with an unhealthy attachment to their eight-breasted futa Orion slavegirl captain, Pls'Rape'Me.

Champions Online shares the servers with STO, so it gets essentially free hosting, which means it can survive on only a few dozen whales, which is about how many are playing.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
wow nowadays I just see bios like "I want to squat on it", where'd the art go

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Tbh Neverwinter is quite entertaining for a while (250 hrs+ in my case).

Ofc, I'm literally insane, so ymmv.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
There is (or at least was at launch) substantially more of a game to Neverwinter than Magic. It was a game that got substantially more monetization over time. Magic is just pay to monetization that they are trying to attach to a game.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
So, feels just as bad to play as it did in the Alpha? This is a game that has no reason to exist.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

El Generico posted:

So, feels just as bad to play as it did in the Alpha? This is a game that has no reason to exist.

poo poo, I think performance and user experience went down if anything.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
The event they're running includes double red planar mana drops but not increased weekly planar mana cap.

Fascinating.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Pope Urbane II posted:

The event they're running includes double red planar mana drops but not increased weekly planar mana cap.

Fascinating.

cap 1 of 5 things that are virtually always used in conjunction with each other really quickly!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Huh it runs fine for me, but yeah there is potential that Cryptic is doing their usual poo poo job of making a good game out of.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
ICR, stop trying to make the return of Marvel Heroes happen. It will not happen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big patch released today with a bunch of big fixes, improved pet / enemy AI and performance improvements. Everyone also gets a free class unlock at the aetheric core.

e: Next big update + performance stuff will be mid-May. Weekly bug fix patches will continue as well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 16, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This might be the worst thing Cryptic has done yet. Impressive.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

this game, minus the monetization, is exactly the game I desperately wanted in 1999. shame about it being 2021 and standards having gotten higher, but I'm afraid I am forced to play it anyway :qq:

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Was a pretty serious MtG player back at the tail end of 3rd Edition, so when I saw the premise on this I was hopeful. I don't think I've ever had my hopes destroyed so quickly.

This game is garbage. They have some neat concepts going on, I do actually like the shuffle part of combat, though they need to make the cards more identifiable at a glance. But the movement is horrid. It is an un-optimized mess. For instance, whenever an NPC would talk, the game would stutter.

I made it through the starting area, and just gave up. Maybe in a year if they can actually make it run well, update the graphics and options, update the movement options (for the love of god make movement follow the mouse like D3), and just, well, finish the game, it might be something, maybe.

It isn't even worth it right now for a "well, I got some free time, I'll see how it is."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Koskun posted:

update the movement options (for the love of god make movement follow the mouse like D3)

Wait what? I didn't notice any movement issues.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

definitely seeing a wide range of experiences re: performance and lag, tbh

I've been back on the treadmill to get that kamehameha beam from the ongoing event, this has resulted in me getting my first ever rare artifacts, which add a pleasant amount of direction to one's character build. which is a problem with the game's design, really, there's so much "chaff equipment" with no sort or filter function and no way to steer towards meaningful equipment that you actually want, i.e. "I want an artifact that'll be good for my red sorceries deck"

also lmao, Koskun did you get your name out of a pack of Homelands :allears:

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
It's hilarious that spell rarity is super strict but they get removed from the loot table after they drop so you're destined to just get rares and mythics after you fill out your commons and uncommons.

Meaning that people who start the game later will just have an insanely hard time ramping up to getting good drops.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wait what? I didn't notice any movement issues.
I use W to move towards my mouse cursor in D3. It's hardwired for me now. Having WASD setup like a control stick for me is a big no-go. If I wanted to use a controller I would have a console.

LordSaturn posted:

also lmao, Koskun did you get your name out of a pack of Homelands :allears:
Been many many years since I've run across anyone that knew the origin of my online name. Koskun Falls specifically is where I "borrowed" it from.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
The stones on these guys to put out a double relic fragment event.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The big monthly patch is tomorrow. State of the Game - May Update

http://twitter.com/BeAMagicLegend/status/1395031637419864067
http://twitter.com/BeAMagicLegend/status/1395021897616658432

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol this thread got no posts for almost a month. anyone still playing?

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
I do dailies. Game is a poo poo show, though I give them credit for the change to how creatures work since I suggested it in their subreddit the first week into launch. Maybe it will become good at some point.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

SotG: DoA

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Awesome! posted:

lol this thread got no posts for almost a month. anyone still playing?

I know twitch viewership isn't a complete picture of a game's popularity, but

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

this game is, on paper, a game I have wanted since I was in high school, and its so janky I have trouble wanting to play

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Diephoon posted:

tbf i can't imagine wanting to watch another human play this trashfire of a game under any circumstances

RFC2324 posted:

this game is, on paper, a game I have wanted since I was in high school, and its so janky I have trouble wanting to play

just play shandalar

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hauki posted:

tbf i can't imagine wanting to watch another human play this trashfire of a game under any circumstances

just play shandalar

yes, that is the game I literally based my desire on, and might one day try and play again. imagining how it would look on a 65" 4k screen

why yes, that is all mud

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

though I give them credit for the change to how creatures work since I suggested it in their subreddit the first week into launch.

Hm? What changed there?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Diephoon posted:

It’s not a complete picture but if you look at that, the tiny subreddit, and the Twitter that had a handful of retweets/comments/likes for the patch... you can see the game is absolutely dead.

When I checked Twitch, most of the magic streams weren’t even broadcasting magic. They were just labeled that way and streaming sports games or movies because no one checks that area (like when artifact was dying).

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Game will be shutdown/back to closed alpha in 2 months

Still on track for my prediction

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bloodly posted:

Hm? What changed there?

I assume this:

quote:

You will no longer redraw a creature once summoned until it dies on the battlefield

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
The most fun part of this game was when i uninstalled it...

:downsowned:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Has Cryptic said anything about this dumpster fire recently? It’s less popular than artifact was. It’s only averaged 2-3 concurrent streams and a handful of viewers for two+ months. It’s probably the biggest MMO (and maybe gaming) flop in a while.

The only things I heard recently from it were they released a new class (no one cared) and actually finishing your sanctum upgrades breaks your character and prevents you from using the broker.

Oh and they tried to get a streamer with 900 followers to promote the game...lol.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 9, 2021

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

quote:

Has Cryptic said anything about this dumpster fire recently?

They finally did!

https://twitter.com/BeAMagicLegend/status/1409934792074932226

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

WotC being trailblazers by killing a game before it's out of beta

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some interesting ideas, executed very poorly.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lmao WotC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Good news for all you battlepass purchasers: