Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wibla posted:

Reading up on this thread makes me happy I only spent 4 years in, and that in a backwater NATO ( :norway: ) Navy :v:

Conscript year mostly spent "chasing dem terrorists" in the Mediterranean in 2005 in a 40 year old tincan built on WW2 plans, then another 3 years on the first of the new AEGIS frigates (including outfitting in Spain, then CSSQT 2007 - gently caress all about Spain, but going to the US before the crazy years was okay), and as a final "oh thank gently caress" - my contract ending a few months before we got deployed to Somalia :haw:

But did you have a soft serve machine or beer bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

But did you have a soft serve machine or beer bar?

No soft serve machine, but both messes had wet bars. Roughly $1 for a beer, $20 for a liter of booze or a case of beer. In port only, of course, we ran a white ship otherwise.

We had some legendary parties in the enlisted's mess during my time aboard. I even remember parts of some of them :v:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wow I really backed the wrong horse being born in the USA

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

5 years on the Lincoln would have been rough. I was on board for a little over a year, went on the 2006 Westpac, but transferred to the Bush right at the start of the terrible yard period. Missed a lot of bullshit, heard it was really bad and the RO even got relieved.

Yeah.....it was a lot. Thankfully, I showed up the last week of the 2006 yard period. Probably the highlight of my career.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh my god. This is some next level "retired guy can't let it go" poo poo.

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1409748382512521216?s=19

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

How many chief stickers does that man’s oversized truck have

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

How many chief stickers does that man’s oversized truck have

Lol. We had a retired chief here in jax that got a Phoenix U doctorate and called himself doctor primary against and get devastated by the incumbent in 2020. He tried milking the chief thing in his ads and sounded like the biggest dipshit. He basically read off his eval bullets like he actually believed them.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

In a stunning display of not giving a single gently caress I once had a chief allow me to write my own eval. I was extremely squared away and an asset to sublant

(Spoiler: i lied)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m living in this dudes area right so I’m gonna try to show up to some town hall to ask him a bunch of stupid questions

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’m living in this dudes area right so I’m gonna try to show up to some town hall to ask him a bunch of stupid questions

"Why does watching people clean qualify you to be a legislator?"

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Please please please do :pray:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I thought SOP for running for office on the merits of wholly average service was to go carpetbag somewhere without a fixed military presence where the population couldn't decode your wholly unremarkable boasts as uninteresting bullshit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Or so full of retired lifers that you have your own voter base of like-minded peers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There's a dude that swings by the VA in Shawnee all the time, we call him The Moto. Got a couple dozen Marines stickers all over his truck, three flags, and of course the Veteran's Vest will all the patches and badges and other poo poo on it. Irritating motherfucker. Only put 4 years in a cook but by god you listen to any of his stories and you'd think he was the second coming of Chesty Puller and that R Lee Ermy once licked his rear end.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You’re not a Marine unless you make four years of janitor work the entire identity of the rest of your life.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

You’re not a Marine unless you make four years of janitor work the entire identity of the rest of your life.

gently caress....

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PACFLEET CO: Numbered Navy Fleets Don’t Need to be Tied to Geography
By: Sam LaGrone
June 30, 2021 7:39 PM

https://news.usni.org/2021/06/30/pacfleet-co-numbered-navy-fleets-dont-need-to-be-tied-to-geography

quote:

The U.S. Navy’s numbered fleets are by tradition tied to a specific geographical region, but that doesn’t mean commanders in California can’t command ships in the Western Pacific or any other part of the world, the new U.S. Pacific Fleet commander said on Wednesday.

The commanders of the Navy’s numbered fleets bring more than just area expertise to operations, Adm. Sam Paparo said in an address during the WEST 2021 conference, cohosted by the U.S. Naval Institute and AFCEA.

“We have largely associated numbered fleets with geographic areas, but the power of the fleet, the power of a three-star fleet commander and that three-star fleet commander’s staff is not in the geography or in the ships that they’re in command of,” he said.
“Every numbered fleet is a tactical three-star headquarters that can be deployed worldwide against any task.”

While by doctrine the Navy can deploy numbered fleets without an eye to geography, existing international relationships for U.S. 5th Fleet in the Middle East, U.S. 6th Fleet in Europe and U.S. 7th Fleet in the Western Pacific keep those commanders actively engaged and unlikely to leave.

“You couldn’t see us disconnecting 5th Fleet, 6th Fleet or 7th Fleet from their geographic areas because of the deep partnerships that they had formed, but for others such as 4th, such as 2nd, such as 3rd, those are up and ready rounds that can be deployed to the point of need,” he said.

The Navy has experimented with using the 3rd Fleet command and control structure to operate forces in the Western Pacific – where 7th fleet particularly operates.

The “3rd Fleet Forward” concept, championed by former PACFLEET commander Adm. Scott Swift, had the staff in San Diego command units like a surface action group in the Western Pacific. The idea, USNI News understands, was to provide an additional command and control capacity for the Pacific Fleet commander in the event the 7th Fleet commander was tied up managing another conflict.

The concept was shelved when now U.S. Indo Pacific Command commander Adm. John Aquilino took command of PACFLEET from Swift in 2018.

“‘Third Fleet Forward’ was a concept designed to enable 3rd Fleet’s maneuver force capability in order to aggregate and, when necessary, fight with the combined power of both numbered fleets in the Pacific Fleet,” the command said in a press statement in 2018. “The term ‘Third Fleet Forward’ is no longer being used.”

Following Paparo’s remarks, a PACFLEET spokesperson told USNI News there was no plan to resurrect the 3rd Fleet Forward concept.

However, the Defense Department is still mulling creating a geographic command for the Indian Ocean.

The decision to stand up U.S. 1st Fleet, an initiative put forth by former Navy Secretary Kenneth Braithwaite, is tied up with the current global force posture review led by the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

Then what is the point of having Numbered Fleets being mostly coordinated with COCOM borders. Also, whoever looked at the Indo-Pacific region and thought "what they need is another HQ staff" needs to be sent far away

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

As an aside, Aquilino has probably the squarest jaw of any human being I've come across in real life. He's like a GI Joe figure.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://news.usni.org/2021/06/30/pacfleet-co-numbered-navy-fleets-dont-need-to-be-tied-to-geography

Then what is the point of having Numbered Fleets being mostly coordinated with COCOM borders. Also, whoever looked at the Indo-Pacific region and thought "what they need is another HQ staff" needs to be sent far away

Maybe I've been away from the fleet for too long but this doesn't make any sense to me. A numbered fleet's forces isn't a specific battle group or set of battle groups. It's whatever ships are in the numbered fleet's AOR at any given time. Like, you're on a DDG in San Diego and you're under 3rd Fleet's responsibility and then you sail to Yokosuka and now you're part of 7th Fleet. And the numbered fleets aren't operational commanders, they're force providers to the operational commander. Why would you want ships in the Mediterranean still reporting to Yokosuka while being employed by Naples?
Am I wrong and confused here?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Maybe I've been away from the fleet for too long but this doesn't make any sense to me. A numbered fleet's forces isn't a specific battle group or set of battle groups. It's whatever ships are in the numbered fleet's AOR at any given time. Like, you're on a DDG in San Diego and you're under 3rd Fleet's responsibility and then you sail to Yokosuka and now you're part of 7th Fleet. And the numbered fleets aren't operational commanders, they're force providers to the operational commander. Why would you want ships in the Mediterranean still reporting to Yokosuka while being employed by Naples?
Am I wrong and confused here?

Because that means more admirals and more staffs to do bullshit and get paid.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

During peacetime, purpose and geography have been aligned, with each geographic focus being to keep threats and issues where they are and from broiling over to destabize the global order. Because of that and that most AORs require the same structure to do the same thing give or take (less subs and carriers, more small boys in SOUTHCOM for instance).

But 10th fleet being global shows that you could task a force to a purpose. 3rd fleet/7th fleet overlapping in the largest geographic region with two missions (home defense and Westpac Indian Ocean AOR) creates the opportunity to focus one fleet on maybe a particular nation state and a second one to focus on the everything else you might be doing in a particular AOR, or to focus a fleet on a particular emerging situation that might cross geographic boundaries and let the remainder of the force handle everything else.

Fleets, to me, seem about making sure you can walk and chew bubblegum--that your concerns in one area have to compete with someone elze saying "hay buddy, don't forget about xxxxxxx". I think as near peers become more global, we will make that more about type of action than location of action, and if that happens, you'll see Fleets crossing and overlapping regional COCOMS.

A Russia fleet, a PLAN fleet and some everywhere else Fleets might start to make more sense than geographic regions.

Maybe.

Edit: mostly, it's probably about admirals competing for importance which is weird because 7th fleet is the job you do after the job you do in 3rd fleet, right?

piL fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 2, 2021

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
brb going on deployment

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

brb going on deployment

Have fun!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Knocked everyone off at noon only to get called out to manouver cause we hit a whale. The unlicensed already drank all the holiday beer and now I'm stuck in the control room.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lightpole posted:

…cause we hit a whale.

This is something I’ve always wondered about. Does this happen often with ships and submarines, or is it more infrequent?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Whales are big dumb idiots that won’t get out of the way. When you’re in potential whale waters, you gotta keep a lookout to avoid them. Military ships are agile enough to dodge dumb whales, but a tanker or cargo ship isn’t going to be as lucky.

Dolphins will usually just play in your wake. Whales are idiots and will just let a ship hit them.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mr. Nice! posted:

...Military ships are agile enough to dodge dumb whales,....

My friend was at the helm in a three-ship formation of frigates, piloting the second. The first called out over bridge-to-bridge that there was a pod of whales and they were maneuvering to avoid. The first ship turned, second ship followed their wake, hit a whale, and the third ship followed in THEIR wake, and ALSO hit a whale.

The CO specifically forbade him from painting 1.5 whales on the bridge as kill markers.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Whales are big dumb idiots that won’t get out of the way. When you’re in potential whale waters, you gotta keep a lookout to avoid them. Military ships are agile enough to dodge dumb whales, but a tanker or cargo ship isn’t going to be as lucky.

Dolphins will usually just play in your wake. Whales are idiots and will just let a ship hit them.

Watching dolphins playing in the bow wave of the carrier as we left port was pretty cool, but also pretty :ohdear: because it sure looked like they were getting awfully close to the ship. I guess they knew what they were doing though. Not that we would have been able to tell if we ran over one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I almost died in a small boat off the coast of California because a blue whale whale breeched like 50 yards in front of us and was just like oh hey guys what’s up am I in the way?

An Alaskan pilot told me bald eagles do the same thing, they cannot comprehend anything else in the air being big enough to hurt them, they’ll just look at a plane or helicopter and smack right into it.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My friend was at the helm in a three-ship formation of frigates, piloting the second. The first called out over bridge-to-bridge that there was a pod of whales and they were maneuvering to avoid. The first ship turned, second ship followed their wake, hit a whale, and the third ship followed in THEIR wake, and ALSO hit a whale.

The CO specifically forbade him from painting 1.5 whales on the bridge as kill markers.

We were navigating through a pod so of course we slowed down to a craw with 60 second course corrections. One decided to bump us from the side anyways.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Watching dolphins playing in the bow wave of the carrier as we left port was pretty cool, but also pretty :ohdear: because it sure looked like they were getting awfully close to the ship. I guess they knew what they were doing though. Not that we would have been able to tell if we ran over one.

They riding a wave using almost no energy and would be highly unlikely to get hit.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
We see a lot of whales and dolphins in the P-8 on camera, its pretty cool seeing the various pods broaching the surface and hearing whale songs on sonobuoys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dolphins are cool. I’m always happy to see dolphins. I was never happy to see a whale on the bridge of a ship. Anywhere else on the ship I was glad to see them. So long as I wasn’t responsible for our interaction, we were cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve had cool two days seeing both dolphins and orcas in the puget sound. 3 more weeks of terminal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I saw a pod of orca in a growler field off Newfoundland once. It would have been an amazing sight if I’d had a chance to enjoy it, but I had to deal with the afford-mentioned growlers.

Never maneuvered to avoid a whale, but then again cargo ships have a huge blind spot dead ahead… and they rarely keep a good visual look out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Noones doing any maneuvering at sea speed. Thats why they have whale zones off both coasts.

2 three hour time changes, a drill day and some duty and I'm free! I've basically already given up, its great!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
When we were in the King James Sound up in Alaska waiting out a nasty storm we had a pod of humpbacks who were just totally enamored with the ship. They stayed with us nearly the whole week we were there and even followed us out of the Sound to say goodbye. They were awesome.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Diablo Canyon in Avila Beach on the central California coast is looking for plant operators. Anyone with a decent engineering plant background should be good, pay is good, and you get to live in an awesome area.

They are shutting it down so it would only be 3-4 years but it would be an awesome 3-4 years. Only problem is you won't want to leave.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My squadron has the same number of fingers, toes, and eyes that it did last week. I am a happy safety officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I would have considered Diablo Canyon if they weren't decomming. But gently caress that. I'll probably be putting in at Palo Verde instead.