Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Saoshyant posted:

Hey goon, are you feeling down? Do you want a feelgood videogame that won't take too much of your busy time? Do you enjoy jazzy tones? Non-frustrating puzzles?

Then behold, for I come bearing gifts. You see, I want more people to play Dropsy and I will give a free copy of this super neat experience to the first three people who quote with their Steam profile saying they will actually play it.

It's a 4-5 hour experience. You can do it. Play it.

Three copies available, claim yours, and spread some cheer in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRjByXbenA

I played a bit of the start, or perhaps it was an old demo, but sure let's have it.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/play_james/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Are there any games that everyone likes?
Picross 3D Round 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Hey goon, are you feeling down? Do you want a feelgood videogame that won't take too much of your busy time? Do you enjoy jazzy tones? Non-frustrating puzzles?

Then behold, for I come bearing gifts. You see, I want more people to play Dropsy and I will give a free copy of this super neat experience to the first three people who quote with their Steam profile saying they will actually play it.

Two copies available, claim yours, and spread some cheer in the world
* First taken by Play, an appropriate username
* __________
* __________

Dropsy is great

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gah. That clown is horrifying.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hwurmp posted:

Dropsy is great

It definitely is, I enjoyed it. Dropsy just wants to give hugs to everything

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Play posted:

It sucks that a game as excellent as Outer Wilds isn't appreciated by everybody. But I still believe most people who played through it absolutely loved it.

I absolutely appreciate and admire and mostly understand everything Outer Wilds is trying to do. I just didn't enjoy the experience of actually playing it very much by the end; I loved the early hours of just exploring landmarks on random planets and stumbling on new mysteries, but eventually the 20-minute timer and lack of any mid-loop saves or checkpoints, on top of the friction of the flight/movement physics, becomes more frustrating than fun, especially once it starts demanding more and more that you be in a sequence of specific places at specific times

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Barry Convex posted:

I absolutely appreciate and admire and mostly understand everything Outer Wilds is trying to do. I just didn't enjoy the experience of actually playing it very much by the end; I loved the early hours of just exploring landmarks on random planets and stumbling on new mysteries, but eventually the 20-minute timer and lack of any mid-loop saves or checkpoints, on top of the friction of the flight/movement physics, becomes more frustrating than fun, especially once it starts demanding more and more that you be in a sequence of specific places at specific times

I can get behind this. I had way more fun flying around and discovering things than I did trying to solve the mystery. Towards the end once I saw all the cool stuff there is to see I did start to lose interest. If they do a sequel/expansion (which it sounds like they are?) I think they should ditch the whole format and just let you explore a couple of new handcrafted planets with some crazy new sights to see.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

I can get behind this. I had way more fun flying around and discovering things than I did trying to solve the mystery. Towards the end once I saw all the cool stuff there is to see I did start to lose interest. If they do a sequel/expansion (which it sounds like they are?) I think they should ditch the whole format and just let you explore a couple of new handcrafted planets with some crazy new sights to see.

Yeah that describes me pretty well also. More interested in the planets themselves than the metastory, although I believe I got a pretty good understanding of that eventually. Mainly I just wanted to thoroughly explore every solar body and location, the was the only goal and when I finished doing that I finished the game as far as I'm concerned.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ultrafilter posted:

Are there any games that everyone likes?

Portal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jesus, that was fast

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lol seems like it didn't even make it out of beta.

Still, probably a good result overall. poo poo game with poo poo microtransactions

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Outer Wilds doesn’t have a timer, it has an involuntary reset button.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Got me curious about my rarest Steam achievements. Two are just very specific Civilization DLC achievements, both tied ot Australia. Little odd considering they were basically "play australia in australia" map type things, which seems like the obvious thing to do with a new DLC civ?

The others are Prey or Mooncrash achievements, one just for reading all of a book series in the game. That surprises me because who is playing a game like that and not hoovering up every possible datapad in the world.

My favourite one is from Pathfinder: Kingmaker:

That one just makes me sad at all the players with missed connections with the lovely villains in this game. Who gets the chance to ally with an ancient cyclops lichkiing and passes on it?

Oh man, my rarest steam achievement is a pretty easy one from the pvp smash-bros mode in Shovel Knight, but it's at 0.9%. Apparently nobody touches that mode at all. (I just played for one afternoon IIRC.) I think it might be local-only multiplayer which explains how dead it is.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I know that someone out there will hate rocket league but there's only 1 of you

I've never played it and I probably won't try it out because it looks like the sort of game I'd hate.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 29, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I picked up ULTRAKILL on a whim when it got recommended to me, and goddamn, this might just be one of the best arena shooters I've ever played.
Absolutely recommend anyone that's ever enjoyed oldschool DOOM or Quake to check it out.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
My rarest Steam achievements are also at 0.9% and are a tie between immobilizing an enemy for a continuous period of time in Titan Quest and cheesing a scenario in Age of Empires 2 to speed complete it. The AoE2 one sort of makes sense because maybe people don't know how to beat the scenario that way, but the Titan's Quest one is just about using part of a skillkit, so i'm surprised it's so low.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hwurmp posted:

Dropsy is great

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It definitely is, I enjoyed it. Dropsy just wants to give hugs to everything

:hmmyes:

Does no one else want a free copy? Really? I just wanted to support a goon dev and spread some cheer.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Broken Cog posted:

So I picked up ULTRAKILL on a whim when it got recommended to me, and goddamn, this might just be one of the best arena shooters I've ever played.
Absolutely recommend anyone that's ever enjoyed oldschool DOOM or Quake to check it out.

Grabbed. Did the thread ever come to a list of must-buys for this sale? So far i've scooped up Horizon Zero Dawn and A Short Hike and i'm currently eyeing Everhood, Maximum Action, and Blaster Master Zero 1&2.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Two copies available, claim yours, and spread some cheer in the world
* First taken by Play, an appropriate username
* __________
* __________

I somehow have never tried this even though i love adventure games! steam names same as forum name ty

edit: Got it, thank you! Also if anyone else reads this and thinks "drat this guy rules I gotta add him as a Steam friend" I'm the Garfield Hentai on Steam that doesn't link to a youtube channel thats all stuff like "TEEN TITANS GO did WHAT?"

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 29, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I've never played it and I probably won't try it out because it looks like the sort of game I'd hate.

Hmm, interesting, I mean its a game where you fly a rocket powered car at a ball to hit it into a goal, i feel like you don't need to even see it in motion to know whether you'll love or hate it

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I know that someone out there will hate rocket league but there's only 1 of you
Rocket League is like the only game I've ever played where the better I got at it, the less I enjoyed it. At first it was this amazingly hilarious game where everyone was constantly loving up and laughing over chat and every once in a while there would be a "HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE THAT" moment when someone accidentally scored a goal from the opposite end of the field. But once I started to actually know what I was doing, it just got frustrating when I couldn't execute or when an opponent hosed up my amazing shot. I don't hate it, it's a really cool game, but I preferred it way more as a silly party-type game than something competitive.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 29, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I can't even find a way to see all of my achievements in one place much less see which ones are the rarest. They're probably not that rare though since this account is pretty new and I play many games separate from steam.

Also why do I spell achievements wrong on my first try almost every time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What fun-loving person on earth could possibly hate Rocket League.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Play posted:

I can't even find a way to see all of my achievements in one place much less see which ones are the rarest. They're probably not that rare though since this account is pretty new and I play many games separate from steam.

Also why do I spell achievements wrong on my first try almost every time
If you go to your profile and set one of the showcases to "Rarest achievement showcase" it should automatically find your rarest ones I think.

Mine seems to be from Puzzle Pirates, at 0.3%

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

exquisite tea posted:

It's me, I don't care about multiplayer games in general

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Rocket League is like the only game I've ever played where the better I got at it, the less I enjoyed it. At first it was this amazingly hilarious game where everyone was constantly loving up and laughing over chat and every once in a while there would be a "HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE THAT" moment when someone accidentally scored a goal from the opposite end of the field. But once I started to actually know what I was doing, it just got frustrating when I couldn't execute or when an opponent hosed up my amazing shot. I don't hate it, it's a really cool game, but I preferred it way more as a silly party-type game than something competitive.

this is almost exactly how i felt about Overwatch

ymgve posted:

It's me, I don't care about multiplayer games in general

you can play against the computer so not a valid reason, sorry

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Pro-tip: If you punch your shotgun blast as soon you shoot, it becomes stronger.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm pretty sure playing rocket league against the computer is in the DSM-V as a diagnostic criteria for sociopathy

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you can play against the computer so not a valid reason, sorry

it's about the structure and design of multiplayer games too, not just that there are humans on the other end

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ymgve posted:

it's about the structure and design of multiplayer games too, not just that there are humans on the other end

oh no I get that I was just being deliberately flippant - I just find it amusing as an idea to hate a group of games in the same way I'd fine someone blanket saying "I hate all 3rd person action games" a bit odd

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

same except left 4 dead

that game was incredible when it came out and nobody knew how to play, because you'd have these incredibly tense battles where people would actually be in danger and you had to help each other out and sometimes you'd actually die

i revisited it years later and it was mostly getting screamed at by 12 year olds for not knowing the optimal route through each level. "stand on the little rock NO THE LITTLE ROCK YOU [*incomprehensible string of slurs*]"

Cowcaster posted:

i'm pretty sure playing rocket league against the computer is in the DSM-V as a diagnostic criteria for sociopathy

yeah i haven't found rocket league to be a particularly fun game to play, the joy of it is playing with friends and laughing about how badly you're doing. i don't imagine playing by yourself against AI is any fun

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Khanstant posted:

Got me curious about my rarest Steam achievements.

My rarest achievement is one you can't even get anymore because the game no longer exists. Pity, because I thought it had promise. (The next three are also Civilization achievements.)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's how I feel about pretty much any small-team MP game, honestly. Once everyone is good you just start getting mad at your teammates for doing The Wrong Thing and mad at yourself for loving up and mad at the opponents for loving you up and it's not fun anymore.

It's why my preferred team MP game is Battlefield. The teams are so large that when you lose it doesn't really feel like "your fault," and there are plenty of opportunities to make your own fun even when your team is down.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Speaking of Battlefield, what are some good Battlefieldlikes games that aren't Battlefield.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

exquisite tea posted:

I hate “Rocket League”.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars was a much cooler name. :colbert:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I will probably grab Untitled Goose Game for $10 :goose:

Any thoughts on Ori and the Blind Forest? It looks very pretty and is $5.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a point in Horizon Zero Dawn where the story gets good? I’m thinking about forcing myself to play through it, but nothing about the game feels novel or interesting. I gave up around the point where I search around old military bases looking for my hologram mom’s progress on the project to stop the mech dinos.

I feel left out that everyone loves it but I can’t bring myself to enjoy it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you are not alone. its extremely boring. feel free to move on to greener pastures fair gamer.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

If you go to your profile and set one of the showcases to "Rarest achievement showcase" it should automatically find your rarest ones I think.

Mine seems to be from Puzzle Pirates, at 0.3%

Eyyyyy I used to play Puzzle Pirates a ton when I was a kid. Not on steam though, it was a browser game back then. I remember climbing to the top 10 in navigation, mostly because I was poo poo at the actual puzzles for the most part.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

Any thoughts on Ori and the Blind Forest? It looks very pretty and is $5.

It's quite good, although combat can be repetitive until you have most of your abilities. I'd say $5 is a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

buglord posted:

Is there a point in Horizon Zero Dawn where the story gets good? I’m thinking about forcing myself to play through it, but nothing about the game feels novel or interesting. I gave up around the point where I search around old military bases looking for my hologram mom’s progress on the project to stop the mech dinos.

I feel left out that everyone loves it but I can’t bring myself to enjoy it.

I've heard multiple folk say they loved the story in horizon but I pretty much didn't pay attention to it and still had a great time