Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I was wondering if Bethesda themselves would put something in game for River.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Once you've topped out the SCORE challenge board for a season do extra levels of SCORE from challenges etc get you anything other than just something to do? Looking at today's daily / weekly rollover and thinking whats in this for me?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Once you've topped out the SCORE challenge board for a season do extra levels of SCORE from challenges etc get you anything other than just something to do? Looking at today's daily / weekly rollover and thinking whats in this for me?

Just the BoS dailies and weekly. I do them quick, get my daily scrapping done, and play something else

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Nothing currently. Supposedly the devs are planning something for the upcoming season, early July, but I think it would just be earning scrap kits, repair kits, lunchboxes, etc. Personally I would like the option to work on previous seasons as I missed season one completely. There are the "Storm" dailies currently in the game which seem quick enough to complete.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I don't even bother going for the daily level task and usually finish with 6 of 8 daily tasks complete.

numitor
Apr 25, 2008

My I please have that fish, sir?

Vinylshadow posted:

He's back up to about 180 health from speccing into Endurance and using the boosts from Scav! mags, but that amusingly means he could keel over from getting too rich or hungry, and the irony isn't lost on him

By the time (if) he gets back to the Commonwealth, I suspect he'll be in need of those three Unyielding Legendary pieces

I got to say I don't care a fig for watching people play video games but this run is a blast to watch.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

RE: Fallout 5, don't expect it until the end of the decade. Todd "Sweet Little Lies" Howard stated in an interview that Elder Scrolls 6 is still in the "design phase" so unless Microsoft takes Fallout away from Bethesda Games Studios it will be a while before a new Fallout game is released.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MH Knights posted:

RE: Fallout 5, don't expect it until the end of the decade. Todd "Sweet Little Lies" Howard stated in an interview that Elder Scrolls 6 is still in the "design phase" so unless Microsoft takes Fallout away from Bethesda Games Studios it will be a while before a new Fallout game is released.

This was pretty obvious. FO76 is their beta proof of concept for how their future games will run. They bought a defunt mobile battle royale company, renamed them Bethesda Austin, and plomped fo76 in their lap for maintenance mode. They are gonna test everything with it, paid subscriptions, online play, seasonal "content", battlepasses, private servers, approved and paid mods, and etc. It all ends with Bethesda making insane profits.

In essence, Fallout 76 is Bethesda's, Rosemary's Baby.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 30, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

MH Knights posted:

Nothing currently. Supposedly the devs are planning something for the upcoming season, early July, but I think it would just be earning scrap kits, repair kits, lunchboxes, etc. Personally I would like the option to work on previous seasons as I missed season one completely. There are the "Storm" dailies currently in the game which seem quick enough to complete.

Last I checked it was Atoms. You get gently caress all for the 10k XP repeatable, though. Which I suppose makes sense. At the speed I was blasting through this I'd make bank.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
The score for xp repeatable has so many ways to be exploited. It's be very stupid to leave that active post 100.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Reminder, July 7th is patch day.

- Season 4 ends when the servers go down, season 5 starts once they are back up.

- Limits will be increased.

Caps from 30k to 40k
Gold from 5k to 10k, daily cap for T-notes to Gold conversion is doubled from 200 to 400
Scrip from 1000 to 5000, daily scrip limit is doubled from 150 to 300

- Legendary Crafting arrives.

You'll need Legendary Cores (they drop from Public Events and DOs), Legendary Modules and an item to turn into a legendary or re-roll it's prefix and modifiers. Anything goes with the exception of some, if not all, named rewards.

The Gutter, The Farmhand, Black Diamond can't be used. Not sure about Final Word, Oathbreaker and the like. They weren't mentioned in any PTS patch notes but I also didn't bother testing them.

Additionally, helmets can not be legendary. Not on normal armor, not on PA.

Also, if you re-roll, you re-roll everything.
So if you, for example, have a Bloodied Handmade with Faster Fire Rate and Faster Reload, re-rolling that can turn it into something extremely poo poo, like a Nocturnal Handmade with 40% Bashing Damage and 50 DR while aiming.

Basically, stash the good poo poo and use only non legendaries or garbage ones for Legendary Crafting.

And in case some people missed it, Unyielding can NOT be rolled on Power Armor, so don't waste cores and modules attempting this.

- Buffs to existing modifiers

Lots of modifiers gets buffs. Couple of examples:

All the non human enemy specific damage buffs are increased from 30% to 50%.

Assassins got a buff from 10% to 50%.

Nocturnal loses it's daytime debuff. Still not a modifier that's desirable, though.

But, we're dealing with Bethesda here, so while most of this is a welcome change they couldn't resist diluting the loot pool further and added a lot of new modifiers. 2 of the new prefixes are good, the rest, including ALL the majors and minors, range from "eh" to downright dog poo poo.

The good prefixes are:

For weapons, Aristocrats. The more caps you have, the higher your damage. Max of 50% damage at 29.000 caps. It's basically Junkies without the side effects.

On Armor it gives energy and damage resistance. +20 for each at 29.000 caps. +35 if on PA. Bolstering or Vanguard offer more protection but some might find it useful as managing Caps is a lot easier than managing health.

For armor, especially PA, Overeaters. Full hunger/thirst meter gives 6% damage reduction per piece. Since helmets can't be legendary we're talking about a total of 30% DR for a full set.

- 3 more camp slots

Those have to be purchased from the Atomic Shop. No idea how much they cost, the AS is disabled on the PTS.

- New Gold item merchant

Minerva. She can be found at Fort Atlas, Foundation or the Crater and will remain in those places for 3 or so days before she leaves. Her inventory changes every week but she can sell ALL gold bullion plans AND the ones from the Daily OPs. She's cheaper than the other 3 so if you stumble across her and she has a plan you don't yet know, buy it.

I think that's all. Excluding the new bugs the patch will no doubt introduce. ;)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Sensenmann posted:

- Limits will be increased.

Caps from 30k to 40k

The good prefixes are:

For weapons, Aristocrats. The more caps you have, the higher your damage. Max of 50% damage at 29.000 caps. It's basically Junkies without the side effects.

On Armor it gives energy and damage resistance. +20 for each at 29.000 caps. +35 if on PA. Bolstering or Vanguard offer more protection but some might find it useful as managing Caps is a lot easier than managing health.
Given the game's history, I would wager that the Aristocrats prefix was intended to always give maximum benefits when you're only 1,000 caps away from the limit and they just didn't account for the new cap limit increase. It also seems like the kind of oversight that Bethesda will fix, although I don't know how much players actually care about losing out on caps once they have 40k in reserves.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I feel that when you only have to roll the item you want for the legendary mod that you are aiming for, it is alot more forgiving. At least they finally are letting us do that with any weapon. Making ss armor was so loving easy.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Are legendary cores tradable?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

Are legendary cores tradable?
Nope.

The more limiting currency will probably be the Legendary Modules required. It takes 4 Legendary Modules for a roll of a 3-star weapon. Each Legendary Module costs 50 scrip, and the (newly increased) daily 300 scrip limit means you can farm a maximum of 1.5 rolls a day. The whole Legendary Crafting system is awful, and its only real-world use will be allowing people to obtain a single preferred legendary effect on their items.

Introducing new legendary effects with the same update not only amplifies the problems with legendary crafting, it also decreases the chances of players getting 'good' rolls from random drops or legendary vendors by further diluting the pool of effects.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

This was pretty obvious. FO76 is their beta proof of concept for how their future games will run. They bought a defunt mobile battle royale company, renamed them Bethesda Austin, and plomped fo76 in their lap for maintenance mode. They are gonna test everything with it, paid subscriptions, online play, seasonal "content", battlepasses, private servers, approved and paid mods, and etc. It all ends with Bethesda making insane profits.

No offense to people who like Fallout 76 or similar online games but I'm so glad I came of age before that stuff took over gaming.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

No offense to people who like Fallout 76 or similar online games but I'm so glad I came of age before that stuff took over gaming.

I mean, so did i, but i still like playing the game. Although the chat mod for PC is a complete gamechanger for 76. I woulda probably quit a year ago if it werent for that. Seasons helped because im a little lebowski urban achiever.

Im 38. Save files were a novel feature when i was growing up. Did you ever leave a nintendo on overnight?

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 4, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It really wasn't that bad to turn off the nintendo, then you can play ninja gaiden again and not just have to be stuck on 6-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRpcMlFYjZg

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tenzarin posted:

In essence, Fallout 76 is Bethesda's, Rosemary's Baby.
76 is also an excellent asset farm. Several of the MTX costumes and camp crap are HD retreads of gear from Fallout 3 and it's respective DLCs. I could see an enhanced edition/reimagining of 3 coming out around the middle of the decade.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Alright I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on 76 for $13. I assume I can run around single player style and do fallouty stuff like view the bathtub skeletons and collect shampoo bottles right?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

Alright I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on 76 for $13. I assume I can run around single player style and do fallouty stuff like view the bathtub skeletons and collect shampoo bottles right?

Absolutely. The game is basically Fallout 4.5, with a bunch of multiplayer content if you would like to play with others. All the main quest lines and most side quests are soloable with no problems.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

drat right. It's a Fallout game with more than enough entertainment for $13 that will leave you with a feeling of excitement every time you see a Desk Fan or Globe in real life. I played it all solo apart from jumping into the events once I figured out that there were events. I thought I was just going to be endlessly ganked and griefed by max level players especially considering my first trip outside the vault there were three wanted people shooting each other, but honestly people are helpful and will stop you to just give you free stuff and nobody ever killed me on purpose.

EDIT: I've got a whole set of bloodied secret service armor with a steath rifeman / commando build. Is that any good any more or will I have to switch it up to come back to try daily ops and the new stuff since stealth doesn't work in a daily op group?

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 4, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I still hold up that fo76 is the best fallout that bethesda made so far, because there is no extremely dumb story tacked on.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I recently got this game and have definitely gotten $14 worth of fun out of it. In terms of wandering around looking at skeletons in bathtubs this is an all-time great Fallout. Huge world, lots of different feeling locations. Feels great.

In terms of story... oof. It's a bit of a mess. I actually like the hints of a lifeless Appalachia I get when I do the old main quest and old missions. This idea that you're wandering through after the end- all these different people, who all tried their different things, died- is a really cool one. The integration of various stories in the environment is really good. I like that there's distinct pre-war and post-war stories. Labor vs automation pre-war, and everyone trying to just survive, for a while, post-war. And then something wipes everyone out, and it's just the automation from the pre-war conflict that's left. That's such a cool setting.

I was reading a really atmospheric log about how a group was worried about the dangers in the world because even the Brotherhood got wiped out and they were really on their own now. They were going to do what they could but didn't have much hope. Reading that in the ruins of their society, surrounded by their skeletons was really cool and built up the menace. Reading that while a new group of Brotherhood assholes tromped around outside, without a care in the world, was slightly less immersive. I basically had to imagine what an atmospheric lonely world this was, because there's random settlers just kind of awkwardly chopping wood outside of the neat buildings with wistful or comedic tableaus of the end of the world.

Man I hate the brotherhood. Bethesda kind of got them right in Fallout 4. If you feel you need them in every single Fallout for brand recognition, make them the unambiguous villains at least. They feel kind of like assholes in 76 as well, which is fine, but then when I go to engage with them all I can do is blandly help them. Sometimes I get to say something snarky, and that's fun, but I'm having a hard time justifying doing anything for them other than they've got a major quest line. Like, what's in it for me? I can roleplay selfishness, I can roleplay being a do-gooder, but having not gotten very far into their quest at all, I have no reason to help these assholes at all if I'm not a meat-headed military worshiper. They've explicitly said they're not going to give me anything and they're not going to help anyone (outside of their 'secret project'), so... I guess I'll just gently caress off then?

I know this is an MMO, but I'm still roleplaying it as best I can. Nothing else in the game has given me this problem to this extent. I can see why I'm doing most of the things I'm doing, but the Brotherhood is just so unappealing on every level here, and there's no quest line to oppose them. I've only just barely started their stuff, so if it gets better I'd love to know. If you're not actively on board with the Brotherhood, does their quest line ever become tolerable?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Eiba posted:

I've only just barely started their stuff, so if it gets better I'd love to know. If you're not actively on board with the Brotherhood, does their quest line ever become tolerable?

It gets better. The beginning part with Knight Shin sucks rear end, because the first BoS knight you interact with is an amalgamation of the worst parts of the FO4 brotherhood. I think the presentation of the story about what happend to them on the way to WV is pretty interesting, the main Scribe is cool and the paladin is voiced by Artemis from Always Sunny. You also get some incredibly powerful weapons from the BoS quests.

I have two characters ready for Steel Reign; one who sided with the paladin and did all the best stuff for WV. The other one did the opposite, went full facist and following orders. I'm not expecting an Alpha Protocol level of choices mattering, but it'll be fun to see what'll happen next.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CapnBry posted:

EDIT: I've got a whole set of bloodied secret service armor with a steath rifeman / commando build. Is that any good any more or will I have to switch it up to come back to try daily ops and the new stuff since stealth doesn't work in a daily op group?

SS armor is still the top of the food chain, so you're good there.

Stealth works in the new DOs they've added, it's just not advisable to go stealth all the time or you'll never get Elder. Go loud every now and again so the enemies "know" where to path too and you'll have a much easier time.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Jesus Christ, you guys were not kidding as to how broken Fireproof 3 is in '76. There might not be anything more satisfying then kiting a bunch of mobs over to an old car, jumping on it and shooting at my feet with my junkie's explosive combat shotty. The car goes up instantly, incinerating the mobs as I laugh through the explosion, taking pretty much no damage.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Psychedelicatessen posted:

It gets better. The beginning part with Knight Shin sucks rear end, because the first BoS knight you interact with is an amalgamation of the worst parts of the FO4 brotherhood. I think the presentation of the story about what happend to them on the way to WV is pretty interesting, the main Scribe is cool and the paladin is voiced by Artemis from Always Sunny. You also get some incredibly powerful weapons from the BoS quests.

I have two characters ready for Steel Reign; one who sided with the paladin and did all the best stuff for WV. The other one did the opposite, went full facist and following orders. I'm not expecting an Alpha Protocol level of choices mattering, but it'll be fun to see what'll happen next.
I actually kind of liked the Knight Shin stuff because that's what I've always seen as the essential nature of the Brotherhood. If they weren't FO4 assholes at their heart, they'd be the Followers of the Apocalypse or something that doesn't define itself by its cool toys, actually trying to help, not running around in uniforms and power armor striking poses and talking down to everyone. I appreciated that being acknowledged and letting me react against it.

The issue was talking to the next person and her backstory was "I've always wanted to help people, that's why I was in the military," which I just bounced off of hard. Like, it totally fits the Brotherhood, but it felt like it was being presented like she was supposed to be an unironically good person. I feel like making me join up with the Brotherhood "to help people" is every bit as absurd as joining the US military to help people and I'm not about that. Especially when I ask them what they're actually doing to help and the only response has been "that's classified" followed by an expectation that I help "the cause" anyway.

It sounds like the whole deal here is the two types of Brotherhood are represented- cosplaying evil fascists and cosplaying noble knights- and on balance I'd rather they help people than just be assholes, but I always felt like the cosplaying noble knights were an unsustainable lie for such an elitist organization.

I guess I can grit my teeth eventually and treat it like the main quest of Fallout 3, with the added nuance that the obvious slide into fascism is actually a thing that's being acknowledged as a possibility. It's not going to be a high priority when there's still so many other things for me to explore.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Okay I'm trying Horizon and while I AM enjoying it so far, is combat supposed to be this hard? :shepface: I cant even one shot a mole rat with a machete at 8 strength, and I'm getting messed up by bloat flies

E:whoops meant to post this in the modding thread

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

If you decide to try the game out, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of it as a new player who's familiar with the Fallout series..

I've tried re-installing and getting into the game a couple times since uninstalling after the launch week, and there's always still been so many fundamental issues with the game that prevented me from enjoying it like a traditional Fallout game.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Picked up 76 in the Steam sale after playing a free weekend a couple months back, and my main question right now is: what the gently caress is the deal with radscorpions?

Those bastards will chase me all the way across the map and there's nothing I can do to get away from them. A couple of them were on my rear end for miles yesterday, until I limped into a shack and plinked away at the one whose claws were protruding through the wall, and by the time that one was dead the other one had lost interest and moved away.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can anyone spare some score I’m at 62 and I want those power armor skins why the hells this one been so short compared to the last season

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Far as I know, seasons are 3 months long. This season started in April.

The camp poster of the scoreboard looks like poo poo, btw. Like, late 90s low resolution digital camera run through a dogshit filter.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really hope we can kill off these new brotherhood people but I know they will just have a story were they are our friends.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Presto posted:

Picked up 76 in the Steam sale after playing a free weekend a couple months back, and my main question right now is: what the gently caress is the deal with radscorpions?

Those bastards will chase me all the way across the map and there's nothing I can do to get away from them. A couple of them were on my rear end for miles yesterday, until I limped into a shack and plinked away at the one whose claws were protruding through the wall, and by the time that one was dead the other one had lost interest and moved away.

Radscorpions and the two rat types will always pop up behind you, walk backwards to make them tunnel up right into your crosshairs.

They all have absurdly high perception compared to any other creature out there so they'll always detect you if you are too loud.

If you can't beat them, make them aggro something else as they are hostile to everything.

Or get to a place they can't get to, like a rooftop or something, and fast travel away.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If your having any problem with an enemy type while starting out, just pick up the enforcer shotgun perk(I forget what level you can) and kneecap anything that's a threat. Then they will crawl or even be stuck on the ground while you club them in the head.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Far as I know, seasons are 3 months long. This season started in April.

The camp poster of the scoreboard looks like poo poo, btw. Like, late 90s low resolution digital camera run through a dogshit filter.

Nah, they vary, season 3 was over 4.5 months

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
1,2 and 4 lasted 3 months, only 3 was extended because of the pandemic and some other excuses.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Discospawn posted:

If you decide to try the game out, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of it as a new player who's familiar with the Fallout series..

I've tried re-installing and getting into the game a couple times since uninstalling after the launch week, and there's always still been so many fundamental issues with the game that prevented me from enjoying it like a traditional Fallout game.

I've got it downloaded but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I'll post something after I play it for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution is fun but buggy as poo poo. When the two mirelurk hunters spawned the game crashed, in the Corvega plant one raider got stuck in the elevator doors, during the scavenger raid scavengers kept phasing in and out of existence until I went to the upper deck and finally MacCready would repeat the same line over and over until the ship chrashed in the building.