Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pham Nuwen posted:

GRRM was too lazy to even look up how feudalism works (https://acoup.blog/2019/06/12/new-acquisitions-how-it-wasnt-game-of-thrones-and-the-middle-ages-part-iii/) so I'm gonna look askance at anybody who says this sort of poo poo.

This is an extremely um weird look at feudalism considering fuedalism isn’t actually a uniform system. France and England actually were extremely different in practical terms because William the conquering actually used a lot of native Anglo Saxon systems alongside the more French model. Making a much more centralized system than in France.

Not even getting into the weird as gently caress clusterfuck that Germany became

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

And they consulted with three attorneys, two of which said they couldn't help them and one said they thought the clerk was right and it wasn't a country.

Yeah that's so bizarre that it almost seems fabricated. Surely someone has got to be able to just google it. Or like, why didn't the OP show the clerk the wikipedia page, or the CIA world factbook page, about Lichtenstein?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pham Nuwen posted:

Guy who immediately blows his paycheck every month extrapolates his behavior to a five trillion dollar windfall...

"How many Playstations and cordless drills would I need to buy to keep that money safe from my reckless spending habits?" (I wish I had the link to that guy handy, I sometimes just think about him and smile)

Reminds me of the multiple people who were using Gamestop as a bank/savings account to stop themselves from overspending.

quote:

Does anyone else use Gamestop as a bank?

I got really pissed off with US Bank because I kept overdrafting my account even though I opted out, and the same thing happened with my credit union when I got a debit card.

Now whenever I get paid I go preorder a whole shitload of games. Whenever I need money, I go to the nearest gamestop and ask for my money back on a game I don’t want and make a withdrawal. The lines are shorter at gamestop than at the bank and I can trade in old games and have money go straight to my savings account. Gamestops are just as prevalent as banks in my town and I work at a mall so it’s even more convenient than running an errand to the bank or using an ATM and getting charged.

quote:

What is the downside to using the “First National Bank of GameStop”?

I am sure some of us have seen the meme about the "First National Bank of GameStop". Now at first it sounds very funny and hilarious, which it is, but I'm in a special scenario where I am located in pretty much nowhere where I am hundreds of miles from civilization thanks to my wife wanting to move closer to her family so she can inherit her parents land.

Well my town only has two banks that are owned by the same company, both of which (please do not ask) I cannot be on the premises. While there isn't much of a reason to have cash on me, the times I do need cash, it's very difficult for me. After reading that meme and truly feeling my situation, it doesn't actually seem like the a bad idea. It even works great as there are at least two GameStop locations in my town. They are open much earlier and later than a traditional bank. For those who are not familiar with it, let me explain how it works:

At any GameStop, reserve X amount of games. These games have release dates that are usually far off into the future. When the time comes to collect your cash, cancel those reservations and ask for a refund. GameStop does not charge you any money at all to do this. There are no fees what so ever.

Before we continue, I fully understand that I will NOT be collecting interest. I will not be protected by FDIC or inflation either. I do not plan to put all of my savings using this method, but I expect to put in enough money to be able to manage this properly.

My question is, how viable is this in the long term (or until we inherit our land)? If it is not viable or I do not have my bases covered, what are some alternatives? Either way, I believe it certainly is better than me keeping my cash under my mattress.

quote:

When you need a place to stash your money that isn’t a shoebox under the bed, it can be hard to find a good option. Minimum balance requirements, fees for the privilege of having an account…it’s all very complicated, especially if you don’t have a lot of money to deposit. Simplify things by joining the First National Bank of GameStop.

When did GameStop start a bank? Well, it didn’t. But, we can share this alternative banking system with the world. It’s very simple:

- He pre-orders games at GameStop, putting the money down.

- If he doesn’t actually want the game, or needs money ahead of time for some other reason, he cancels the pre-order.

- GameStop gives the money back.

- Want long-term savings? Trade in games for store credit.

How do you know whether the FNBG is for you? Well, if you have a standard account at a regular bank, with deposit slips and a debit card and whatnot, it’s probably not for you. If you never buy anything at GameStop, it’s not for you. But for many unbanked Americans, this plan just might work.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 29, 2021

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I've had issues because my parents are from New Mexico in Texas. People are loving dumb and grossly ignorant of geography.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

And they consulted with three attorneys, two of which said they couldn't help them and one said they thought the clerk was right and it wasn't a country.
They probably didn't have to pay for that sort of advice, generally speaking if you listen to what the putative client is asking and say you're not going to represent them, that's not billable unless you're a scumbag. (Insert joke about lawyers being scumbags)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When you need a place to stash your money that isn’t a shoebox under the bed, it can be hard to find a good option. Minimum balance requirements, fees for the privilege of having an account…it’s all very complicated, especially if you don’t have a lot of money to deposit.

I have accounts at 3 banks and the minimum for all 3 is $5. I know there are people for whom having $5 locked up can actually be a real issue ( :( ), but somehow I doubt that is the case for these people who are depositing and withdrawing strictly in intervals of multiple $50 video games.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

jemand posted:

Going to guess the problem was appearing in person in rural Michigan to people who can quietly nix a gay marriage by pretending to be dumb.

My thought as well, I would say roll the dice with another county but it looks like you're locked into the county you live unless you go out of state.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What if we had a Bitcoin... for Bitcoin?

:350:

quote:

The entire movement around crypto is to move AWAY from government control…

So I refuse to buy GOVERNMENT backed “digital yuan” or “digital dollar” or ANY large corporation sponsored crypto like HBAR and anything else that decides to pass in front of me. I suggest you do the same or we’re spinning our wheels here guys.

quote:

We, the crypto consumers and early adopters, can drive the practices of the crypto industry. We should be banding together and pushing coin providers to NOT accept payment in government controlled fiat currency. They should only accept crypto for crypto (stable coins, tethers, etc. if they want price stability). We need to be unified on this. Please do not sell or buy crypto with government currency. That will only make crypto dependent on fiat currency and further empower fiat as crypto rises.

Crypto should not be a dual currency with fiat. It must be the dominant currency.

quote:

Something truly based on blockchain technology should be public, decentralized, permissionless, and trustless.

But looking at corporate blockchain experiments, almost all of them are private, centralized and permissioned—because a small group of people has the ability to validate transactions—and most are authenticated by a ‘trusted’ institution.

quote:

quote:

quote:

the dollar is mostly digital anyway except they now want the FED to control it which is worse imho

Pardon my ignorance as I'm genuinely asking, but how does the FED not already control the dollar? Or do you mean track each individual dollar's movement?

So take away the banks…you’d now have to deal with the fed to get ANY loan…for anything. AND they’d be holding your personal accounts. Why would the banks do it?

quote:

Ahh I see now, in this scenario banks do indeed go to the wayside but a regulated USD Stablecoin is governed by the FED.

quote:

quote:

The question is how to remove governments and central banks entirely from the equation for a decentralized world?

Starve fiat. Demand bitcoin for your labor. Only accept bitcoin for debts. Only buy crypto with bitcoin. Bitcoin for bitcoin and dollars for dollars. Never mix the two.

quote:

I think the mechanism for that to happen is baked into crypto as a matter of game theory. Once crypto is on equal footing with fiat, why would anyone prefer the inflationary asset?

quote:

quote:

How does it obtain equal footing?

Again what will be the standard for the variety of coins to be swapped for others?

Pairs like BTC/USD create a standard for all crypto trades - not just any pairs like XLM/LTC because then both of those go back to BTC which is based on USD value. how to dissolve the current standard of BTC/USD pairs?

I don't agree that it's all "based on USD" value. It's all relative.

quote:

quote:

What do you think the price of bitcoin is measured in?

We use dollars as a shorthand, but you can measure it in LTC/XLM or other crypto.

quote:

quote:

And what are those cryptos value measured in?

I am describing it as things SHOULD be not as they currently are. Crypto should be used for crypto and fiat should be left to die.

quote:

I think the prices of real coins will rise even faster once governments come out with their shitcoins and people grasp for the real deal.

quote:

You can hold a btc in your hand. A digital dollar will never be allowed to carried by the individual. It must be tracked at all times. That is why btc is a threat to them.

quote:

quote:

I just want a roadmap on how an economy can function without their crypto(s) being measured by an already existing standard of value.

Wages, food, services, etc need to be valued at some standard for the variety of crypto to be exchanged/swapped between one another to be used at different venues or moments.

What is the consensual standard(s)? Bitcoin? I don't think so or would want it to be.

"Move away from governments but use their approved standards of fiat value." - well

No dude. The market decides the vale of the coin

quote:

quote:

Okay but how does the "market" define the cross value between cryptocurrencies?

How does my coin used for buying fastfood services pair with the value of my coin used to borrow a share-bike or to get my car repaired?

because currently there is a standard of Fiat that defines how those cost share a basic value. there needs to be a standard for crypto to be exchanged/swapped. what would it look like?

I'm not making GBS threads on crypto. Also the current "market" is based on Fiat... it'll take an economy to agree that X crypto is worth this amount of goods and services to create the alternative market

1 euro buys 5 carrots. 1 Bitcoin buys 25000 euros. 1 Bitcoin buys 125000 carrots.

There, no need for euros. 1 Bitcoin = 125000 carrots. Derive the rest of the market from that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 29, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Not the worst BWM in terms of absolute numbers, but I just heard a coworker say:

Artisanal meme subscriptions.

Edit: And doesn't it have to be something shared organically to be a meme?
You should find out what this meme app is because I cannot imagine how awful the #content must be.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You should find out what this meme app is because I cannot imagine how awful the #content must be.

I'm 90% sure it is "Memetic" which is basically just the front page of Imgur.com + a Meme template creator that you pay $3 a month for.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

jemand posted:

Going to guess the problem was appearing in person in rural Michigan to people who can quietly nix a gay marriage by pretending to be dumb.

Yeah this is probably whats happening. Perhaps there's some LGBT organization that would give them legal assistance?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Reminds me of the multiple people who were using Gamestop as a bank/savings account to stop themselves from overspending.

quote:

Well my town only has two banks that are owned by the same company, both of which (please do not ask) I cannot be on the premises

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jimong5 posted:

My thought as well, I would say roll the dice with another county but it looks like you're locked into the county you live unless you go out of state.

That seems odd as a lot of states really don't care where you live and will give you a marriage license. They're probably best off driving to Illinois or something and trying there. I don't say Indiana or Ohio since those can be just as backwards as MI.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Can always elope and go to Vegas!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Go to the great Quaker state of PA and you can pronounce yourselves married with no officiant.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've heard of people who can't walk on a school's premises but that's the first time I've heard of someone whose not allowed in a bank.

It's probably less "not allowed in there" and more "closed an account with a negative balance". Wait until he finds out he's on the poo poo list for all banks and not just that small town one.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Can always elope and go to Vegas!

I honestly had no idea marriage licenses work like that because mine's from Clark County, NV.

If it's in state, (at least some states) you have to get it from your local county but out of state will just issue one wherever. Seems easier than fighting it locally.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've heard of people who can't walk on a school's premises but that's the first time I've heard of someone whose not allowed in a bank.

It's probably less "not allowed in there" and more "closed an account with a negative balance". Wait until he finds out he's on the poo poo list for all banks and not just that small town one.

It could also be something as simple as "caused a scene and the branch manager called the cops and issued them a trespassing warning"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

That seems odd as a lot of states really don't care where you live and will give you a marriage license. They're probably best off driving to Illinois or something and trying there. I don't say Indiana or Ohio since those can be just as backwards as MI.

Iowa lets you do common law marriages by just presenting yourself as married with someone you're living with.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you are a big enough shithead, they’ll do it. Probably got a fee and did something smart like threaten a teller.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If you get a conviction for a property crime against a business, they will usually include a no-contact order with the business.

Whole lot of people with restraining orders against them from Wal-Mart.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Having the cops called on him is about the only thing I could think of that would result in a lifetime ban. Even a shitheel customer can generally apologize and get their banking privileges back.

I'm going to guess the story doesn't paint him in an appealing light if he's willing to tell everyone he banks at GameStop, but not what got him banned from the bank.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

I mean she didn't do it through having quite as bad an ending, but JKR sure has destroyed a lot of fanbase

This post was underappreciated. Thank you for this one.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The easiest solution to getting married is going to Colorado. You fill out a form and bing bong you're done. Self-solemnizing rules. You can even yell at a mountain 'I'm married!" and fulfill your favorite Michael Scott moment.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

alnilam posted:

Go to the great Quaker state of PA and you can pronounce yourselves married with no officiant.

The Universal Life Church lets you get ordained as a minister free of charge, I did it after I saw Joel McHale shout them out in a youtube video that was mostly about making kettle corn: https://www.ulc.org/

I'm guessing you still need the marriage license though, if I were to actually marry a couple they'd need that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

paternity suitor posted:

GoT will be back in some way in the future. Star Wars seemed to be left for dead after Phantom Menace

Star Wars had stuff happen in the interregnum even after the prequels flopped. SW Galaxies ran for years, KOTOR, Battlefront, Clone Wars, EU books and comics, etc. The prequels didn't kill the franchise, because you could politely ignore them and continue enjoying other aspects. Disney has done more to ruin the franchise at this point with each of the sequels, the Han Solo movie, etc where it's not just a cash grab, but feels like future SW universe is likely to continue being cynical cash grabs. The only noticable exceptions are projects like Mando, which are written to be good content first and star wars second. Mando is a Western that happens to be set in the SW universe, not a Star Wars projects that happens to be a Western.

I'm angry. Angry about star wars.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

JJ Abrams literally said 'We probably should have had a plan' in an interview. That explains a lot about him, I feel.

Painting yourself into a corner is JJ's specialty, as far as I can tell. He's not particularly good at just making some poo poo up as a deus ex machina to keep chugging along well past the point of credulity, but he does it, and by the point he does it you're so invested that you just deal with it.

It's me, I'm the smoke monster from Lost.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
1 Bitcoin = 125000 carrots. Derive the rest of the market from that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

Self-solemnizing rules

Read this as "self sodomizing" and was a little impressed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Marilyn Manson posted:

Self-sodomizing rules

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

1 Bitcoin = 125000 carrots. Derive the rest of the market from that.

I call it the gold carrot standard.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Possibly the most expensive "quick trip" to the county courthouse ever.
Couldn't they just type "is Liechtenstein a country" into Google and then show the clerk?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

muscles like this! posted:

Iowa lets you do common law marriages by just presenting yourself as married with someone you're living with.
Emphasis on "presenting yourself as married", because a surprising number of people think you can just...accidentally become a common law marriage with a live-in SO.

But yeah, the solution to 'my local courthouse/social security office/whatever is being poo poo' is almost always going to another one if at all possible. I had to do that when changing my name with social security - the first office sent a card still in my old name and kept doing jack poo poo to fix it, and I gave up and submitted a whole new application to a different office. The new office got the whole thing done in a fraction of the time it took the first office to just send me my id documents back(no in-person because covid).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Splicer posted:

Couldn't they just type "is Liechtenstein a country" into Google and then show the clerk?

Woah buddy, how do you know hackers didn't just make that one happen?

Honestly, I feel like asking them to just call the loving State Department on speakerphone would be the simplest solution.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Splicer posted:

I typed that into Google and the first result says "The Principality of Liechtenstein is located..."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I typed that into Google and the first result says "The Principality of Liechtenstein is located..."
"Principality? Well that's not the same word as country, so application still denied."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

"Not a country, request denied!"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The producers also said "Everyone expected us to go with a dramatic twist ending. So, we made a super boring and obvious ending... which was itself the greatest twist of all!"

The first few seasons demonstrated that nobody was above death. Shouldn't have been a surprise that their greatest act would be to kill off their entire fan base at once.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A lot of Game of Thrones-original expressions are still in common use though, like "You know nothing", "Winter is coming", or "you sweet summer child"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

The Universal Life Church lets you get ordained as a minister free of charge, I did it after I saw Joel McHale shout them out in a youtube video that was mostly about making kettle corn: https://www.ulc.org/

I'm guessing you still need the marriage license though, if I were to actually marry a couple they'd need that.

The issue at hand though is inability to get the license that the officiant needs to sign. In PA you can at least skip needing an officiant, so if they're going to travel somewhere to get the license, it's where I would suggest (or I guess CO has it too as someone else posted, but PA is closer to MI).

But this is all just pissing advice into the wind for an unknown couple that leon trotsky found on reddit or whatever lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot of Game of Thrones-original expressions are still in common use though, like "You know nothing", "Winter is coming", or "you sweet summer child"
I don't think any of those is even GoT original, although clearly the show made them much more common.