Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is that Dr. Doom in the third cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

The one true answer.

This actually had a cameo in the Solo movie:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Casimir Radon posted:

The one true answer.
I will forever love that series for having a droid that everyone calls "Bollux".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So I'm about 60% of the way through Light of the Jedi, and it's an odd duck of a book. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it either. It seems like it doesn't want to get to know any characters too well, which is hurting my ability to get too into it. Like, it only gets to a surface level understanding of anyone. The action scenes are impressive, in a way that feels like they were designed more for a TV show or a movie than a book. Like I'm reading a script treatment. I honestly can't tell if that's a plus or minus yet.

But I love the way it describes the way the different Jedi connect to the Force. It's different than I think any other media has done it before.

The Nihil...kind of suck as villains, so far. Are they the series villains?

Honestly, while it's not terrible, I think it mostly feels like a detailed summary of events, until I get to an action scene, where they'll spend several chapters describing it from 5 different characters perspectives. I'm hoping the further High Republic books get better. Anyway, I'm not done yet, but so far I'd say it's a soft 3/5 stars?

I've been told to stay away from Into the Dark by Claudia Gray by someone who likes basically every Star Wars book he's ever read, so I imagine that must be pretty drat bad.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Haven’t read Into the Dark myself but I’m surprised to hear that. I’ve loved everything else she’s made, so I wonder what makes it avoidable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VaultAggie posted:

Haven’t read Into the Dark myself but I’m surprised to hear that. I’ve loved everything else she’s made, so I wonder what makes it avoidable.

Yeah, I was surprised, too. His exact words were, "Just don't read Into the Dark. It's a hard read, and my least favorite of Claudia Gray's books." :shrug:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I've been told to stay away from Into the Dark by Claudia Gray by someone who likes basically every Star Wars book he's ever read

I dunno, that sounds more like a glowing endorsement for it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kurui Reiten posted:

I dunno, that sounds more like a glowing endorsement for it.

…you know, this is a fair point.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I enjoyed Into the Dark more than Light of the Jedi. It's a smaller, tighter cast and I found myself getting invested in (some of the characters) more than I did anyone in LotJ.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yeah I thought Into the Dark was pretty good. The Nihil unfortunately show up but the main attraction villains are better.

If you're reading Light of the Jedi you may as well read it too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm nearing the end of Light of the Jedi, and I'm liking it more than I did before, so I'm gonna dive more into the High Republic books as they come in. Thanks for convincing me to read Into the Dark, I'll check it out, too.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

This actually had a cameo in the Solo movie:

I thought the movie was making a joke about Indiana Jones and the crystal skull which is why Han shoots it and it blows up. Kind of like how in Jurassic World the trex bashes through a spinosaur skeleton (the main Dino of jp3). It was just one of those wink wink moments that show up in Lucas and Spielberg films

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Noob Saibot posted:

I thought the movie was making a joke about Indiana Jones and the crystal skull which is why Han shoots it and it blows up. Kind of like how in Jurassic World the trex bashes through a spinosaur skeleton (the main Dino of jp3). It was just one of those wink wink moments that show up in Lucas and Spielberg films

Yeah, I think this is far more likely.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Given that the bad guy uses a martial art from a PS2 era fighting game, I think it being an inter-franchise thing is less likely than it being a reference to the old Star Wars stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Noob Saibot posted:

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I think this is far more likely.

The concept art specifically references Xim the Despot. All of the artifacts in that room are taken from old EU stuff. There's even an Exar Kun reference. Just like how Lando references all three of the 80s Lando books in the movie as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

The concept art specifically references Xim the Despot. All of the artifacts in that room are taken from old EU stuff. There's even an Exar Kun reference. Just like how Lando references all three of the 80s Lando books in the movie as well.

Oh. Well then never mind. That's pretty awesome.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Exar Kun reference isn't one I would have caught just watching the movie. It's rather slim a link.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Next wave of the first phase of the High Republic novels hits today. Seeing a lot of good reviews for the adult targeted novel, The Rising Storm. Also hitting is the junior targeted Race to Crashpoint Tower.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve listened to a bit of The Rising Storm, it’s been good so far. Picks up about a year after Light of the Jedi.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I started reading the first Thrawn Ascendancy book, and I like how it refers back to the events of Outbound Flight without getting too much into specifics. That book is so steeped in Legends lore that I assumed it wouldn't be canonized as a whole, and this is a nice little compromise; if you want to treat them as part of the same continuity there's nothing really to get in the way of that, and it just adds to the backstory. Basically the same thing Zahn does in the original Thrawn book, where it's set in the new canon but clearly written to fit into Legends continuity as much as possible.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I feel like Outbound Flight has always had a bit of a mixed reception but I thought it was one of Zahn's strongest (Star Wars) books in terms of his writing style. It felt a lot more adept than the stuff he's written since. It's also kind of funny that at the time people thought that Anakin's inclusion was kind of forced and unnecessary, and then twelve years later he does another Thrawn book with another unnecessary Anakin insertion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At least that second unnecessary Anakin insertion was to promote the new land at the Disney parks.

Wait, that's not better :negative:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Worth it for a scene of Anakin getting increasingly angry that Thrawn insists he isn’t pronouncing Mitth'raw'nuruodo correctly, and to just call him Thrawn.

The Ascendancy Trilogy seems very much like Zahn is getting to write what he wants without any sort of mandate from Lucasfilm.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Somehow I can't get into the High Republic stuff.

I can't help but think
a) it'll be retconned as soon as the next big thing comes around (see the Dark Horse Old Republic stuff)
b) literally none of the stuff that happens has any impact on the Star Wars I know (i.e. the movies, the TV shows)
c) it's just too far removed from it all, so it may as well be any other random sci-fi franchise.

Now read a lot of EU stuff in my day (all the comics from the early Marvel through Dark Horse up to Marvel about three years ago), loved some of the standalone books (Tales From..., Kenobi, Plagueis, Scoundrels), but somehow this just doesn't grab me, like at all.

People who like the High Republic: I genuinely want to get into it, but find myself extremely reluctant, and even unsure where to start.

Please sell me on the concept.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Somehow I can't get into the High Republic stuff.

I can't help but think
a) it'll be retconned as soon as the next big thing comes around (see the Dark Horse Old Republic stuff)
b) literally none of the stuff that happens has any impact on the Star Wars I know (i.e. the movies, the TV shows)
c) it's just too far removed from it all, so it may as well be any other random sci-fi franchise.

Now read a lot of EU stuff in my day (all the comics from the early Marvel through Dark Horse up to Marvel about three years ago), loved some of the standalone books (Tales From..., Kenobi, Plagueis, Scoundrels), but somehow this just doesn't grab me, like at all.

People who like the High Republic: I genuinely want to get into it, but find myself extremely reluctant, and even unsure where to start.

Please sell me on the concept.

For me, point b) is a feature. It's disconnected so they can tell whatever story involving the Jedi they want. It's true that ultimately it's going to get resolved and have no impact in the OT or anything but it's about the journey not the destination.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, it seems like, instead of having to tiptoe around the OT-ST trilogy era, or go over the pretty well trodden PT-OT era, they decided to pick an era where they could do mostly whatever they wanted. "Look, it's set 200 years before the PT. As long as I don't kill Yoda or, I don't know, destroy the Republic, can I do what I want now?" Lucasfilm: "Sure, whatever, I don't care." So it gives them more freedom than most other new EU books so far, which mostly had to deal within pretty strict rules on what they could and couldn't do. New characters, new villains (even if I don't love the villains so far), new storylines. All new poo poo. And new characters means they can die. And boy do they, so there are actual stakes, which is rare for a Star Wars book, where normally you know most characters are safe.

You also start seeing the Jedi wrestle with just how involved they should be with galactic warfare as a group, and how their eventual downfall in the PT started. Which I find interesting.

Light of the Jedi ended up being a 3/5 book for me, but I think did a decent job of setting up the larger story, and I'm looking forward to continuing.

That being said, I have no idea if I should put it in the OP yet or not, so I'm holding off for now. It's like trying to judge the NJO off of Vector Prime.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the idea of the High Republic, and I think that the focus to make it on the Republic and Jedi at its best is a good differentiation from the TOTJ/KOTOR stuff, but at the same time, it feels like 200 years is way too close to the movies for things to be this different from the rot of TPM. I mean, Jabba and Yoda and Chewbacca and Maz Kanata and probably like half the senators of the prequels are all alive, hell it's only a few years before Dooku is born... it makes the prequels feel less like the downfall of a civilization and more like 1980s politicians reacting against their 1960s childhoods.

thrawn527 posted:

That being said, I have no idea if I should put it in the OP yet or not, so I'm holding off for now. It's like trying to judge the NJO off of Vector Prime.

Here's maybe a hot take, but I think Vector Prime got a lot of poo poo mainly because it killed off Chewie, but overall it's not bad, there are some parts of it I think are pretty well written by Star Wars standards, and probably on the higher end of the NJO. Especially when you consider that Salvatore was writing his first Star Wars book, it was not only the first of a major new series but first new publisher and first post-prequel book, and he was a last minute replacement for the original author.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

I like the idea of the High Republic, and I think that the focus to make it on the Republic and Jedi at its best is a good differentiation from the TOTJ/KOTOR stuff, but at the same time, it feels like 200 years is way too close to the movies for things to be this different from the rot of TPM. I mean, Jabba and Yoda and Chewbacca and Maz Kanata and probably like half the senators of the prequels are all alive, hell it's only a few years before Dooku is born... it makes the prequels feel less like the downfall of a civilization and more like 1980s politicians reacting against their 1960s childhoods.

Here's maybe a hot take, but I think Vector Prime got a lot of poo poo mainly because it killed off Chewie, but overall it's not bad, there are some parts of it I think are pretty well written by Star Wars standards, and probably on the higher end of the NJO. Especially when you consider that Salvatore was writing his first Star Wars book, it was not only the first of a major new series but first new publisher and first post-prequel book, and he was a last minute replacement for the original author.

I believe Chewie was 198 in ANH, but everything else you said is true.

And my only point about Vector Prime was that it would be unfair to judge all of NJO based on only the first book, because there was so much more to come. I actually like Vector Prime.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having started on Light of the Jedi now that the paperback is available, it's nice to see that they brought Monument Plaza back into canon. That's a really niche detail from an old McQuarrie painting that I liked when I saw it in the old Illustrated Star Wars Universe.

Also lol that Yarael Poof is tootling around on the council.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVrdwZ9bEk

Tie Fighter's been remastered and drat does it look good!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/tie-fighter-total-conversion-tftc

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

First details are out on the Visions tie-in novel and hot drat does it really look like it'll be something else:

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1413122745794183171?s=20

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Huh, so it's not even going to be canon then? Seems like a missed opportunity to just place it in the distant past and flesh out the history of the Jedi/Sith a little bit more.

Still looks cool as hell though, a lot of the newer Star Wars creators have come to the correct realization that ripping off Star Wars' inspirations gets you a much better product than ripping off other parts of Star Wars itself. The Ahsoka episode of the Mandalorian is probably my favorite single piece of the new canon so far, having Ahsoka's samurai duel with the magistrate juxtaposed with Din's western shootout outside was incredible :hellyeah:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping that the Visions project does manage to keep a core Star Wars vibe to things. There are so many different ways to interpret star wars through animation but I'm hoping they use more than just "has lightsaber" as the connective tissue for the anime films.

Aside from that straight up Ronin flick Production IG is doing I'm curious about the Droid story with the Astro Boy looking Droid.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finished up The Rising Storm. I thought it was pretty good, but since I've only read it and Light of the Jedi there were some things that popped out of nowhere. Such as these killer plants, the Drengir, and I could definitely tell when things were happening not just off the page but in other media. Like when Gios' old apprentice pops up on the comms at the Fair or how Avar is off leading a bunch of Jedi against the Drengir.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think the novel the Drenghir get introduced in is a YA novel too. So that could be confusing. I accidentally bought one of the kids’ novels on Audible and listened to it. At this rate they’ll probably introduce important stuff in one of those.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Drenghir turn up in the comics at some point, and they are introduced in a way that makes sense there so I'd guess that's their first appearence.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The comics also have armored flying Hutts with war rancors, it's pretty rad

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Which Star Wars book was it that had Hutts in full armour called something like shell Hutts? I have vague memories of it being a book with Boba Fett in it.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

the Bounty Hunter Trilogy is what you seek, you tough barve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Bounty Hunter WARS trilogy. Because just adding Wars makes for a completely new and non-easily confused title series.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, the return of waffleimages images means the Terrible Books thread is no longer horribly broken! That means you can track the wall of backstabbing as it grows!

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 10, 2021