Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well who was the guy with glasses, looks kinda like a goober. I don't think it's Rob smigel, he seemed more clean shaven

José Arroyo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol yeah that's him all right

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My dream for his variety show would be to bring back the PFFR guys and recruit some of the College Humor writers.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Colbert and Brian Stack talk about Conan in a clip I don't have time to link.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You wonder if JO will honor him in the opening credits tonight

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

You wonder if JO will honor him in the opening credits tonight

He did. :)

E: I don't think I've ever heard Conan laugh as much as he did with Bill Burr on the podcast.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 28, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
A day late. It’s officially Summer!

Just CBS this week, though if you wanna, go check out Kimmel’s reruns. His shows from last week were all solid, especially the Tarantino interview. Those eps are being rerun all week. Kimmel wrapped up his insane 13-week run on Thursday and will be on vacation for the rest of the Summer, with guest hosts taking over, just like last year. But unlike last year, these will be studio shows with a (half-capacity) studio audience.

Hey! Let’s do numbers poo poo for a minute.

Kimmel’s 13-week run is second to his record-setting 17-week run last year, from Feb 24 to June 18. Of course, last year was mostly from home, and there was that couple days between March 12 and when the home shows started. Still, both are respectable runs. Conan’s last episode on Thursday was #1512. Fallon’s Thursday show was #1486. Only 26 fewer shows, yet Fallon started his Tonight Show over 3 years after Conan started Conan. And Colbert’s Thursday episode was #1109*, despite starting only 18 months after Fallon. Colbert is averaging just shy of 200 episodes a year, Fallon at an even 200/year. Seth Meyers did episode #1166 on Thursday, he began a week after Fallon, after his first month he dropped the Friday shows and never looked back, leaving him with an approximate yearly average of 160 shows. Conan was averaging 144 shows a year, near as I can figure. Of course the last 300 were 30-minute shows.

Quite a way to go out, eh Conesy? I mean, how far removed was The Largo from, as he said in his Tonight Show sign-off, “doing a show from the parking lot of a 7-11”? Barring the Pandemic, his show had withered into a shadow of its former self by the time COVID hit. This was the show that had episode titles and raucous energy in 2010, that was dedicated to having fun on television.

I can’t lie, there’s been a depressing undercurrent to watching him the last couple years. He may have finally mercy killed it, but it’s been dying for a while. I desperately wish he hadn’t lost as much enthusiasm for the job as he has. Watching him end the show last week was rough; he’s been in my life since I was 11. He was “my” guy. My older sister’s generation would have been Letterman, and our parents would have been Johnny (if my sister and parents gave a gently caress about late night TV, which they largely did not). As weird as it has felt lately to realize Conan was now the elder statesman of late night, it’s even weirder that he’s now amongst the ranks of its retirees. I just wish his wasn’t as protracted a fizzling. I know the consensus is that Dave was kinda phoning it in his last decade or so, and there were barbs being thrown at Johnny in the late 70s to the same effect, but... well, maybe this is kinda how “their” fans felt, too.

Enough of that dumb poo poo. It’s Ed Sheeran Week on Corden.

Schedule for the week starting 2021.06.28
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Pete Buttigieg, Katja Herbers
Tuesday - The Cast of F9
Wednesday - Harvey Keitel, Randall Otis
Thursday - Jim Gaffigan, JP Saxe with John Mayer

Corden
Monday - Ed Sheeran, Ed Sheeran
Tuesday - Steve Buscemi, Ed Sheeran
Wednesday - Heidi Klum, Ed Sheeran
Thursday - Chris Pratt, Ed Sheeran

*I know the Wikipedia page says it was #1105. The Wikipedia page is wrong. There were a few clipshows that ran a couple years ago that weren’t counted by whoever is doing the tallying there. This is most glaring in the entry for his 1,000th show last November, in episode “997”. I did figure out which episodes are missing at the time, but I just am not up for the headache of dealing with a loving wikipedia edit slapfight.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You're being too negative about Conan. Like most people I couldn't care less about his interviews, monologues and sketches -- those were often kinda pathetic, I personally agree.

But his remotes and gaming segments are the best thing on TV at late night. Nothing anyone else does even comes close for me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

His interviews were great when they went off the rails. Unfortunately I don't think the format tolerates that kinda poo poo anymore and largely hasn't for a long, long time

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Looking back now it is pretty obvious that Conan knew he wanted to end the show when he changed formats. I think he wanted to get the interviewing out of his system before whatever is coming next on HBO Max. I am quite interested in what it is going to end up being. I assume it will be entirely what he enjoys doing, much like how Letterman's Netflix show is him just talking and goofing off with guests which was what he enjoyed doing the most.

It is a shame about the state of Late Night in general now. With Conan gone there really isn't anyone around with that crazy Letterman style of comedy now. Colbert and Seth both stay a little too straight and don't stray too far from their Daily Show and Weekend Update roots respectively. Kimmel is that guy who grew up loving Letterman but wants to be Leno in the worst way. Fallon is... whatever the gently caress that is.

I think there is a need to try and rethink what a Late Night show is and to try and modernize the format. There really isn't anyone doing cutting edge comedy on Late Night anymore though or much of anywhere on television frankly outside of Adult Swim.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
TBS should just get Adam Pally to host a new show

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Conan didn't want to get the interviewing out of the way. He wanted to get the TV style interviewing out of the way. Even years before he fell in love with podcasting he was trying to do his Serious Jibber Jabber series on his website. He loves interviewing and he's actually quite good at it. But only when it's free flowing and unstructured which the old late night style doesn't really provide.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's a part of me that still enjoys the traditional late night TV format, but I honestly couldn't tell you what the point of it actually is anymore. Everything it accomplishes could be accomplished so much better elsewhere. Granted, I still enjoy it, but :shrug:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

There's a part of me that still enjoys the traditional late night TV format, but I honestly couldn't tell you what the point of it actually is anymore. Everything it accomplishes could be accomplished so much better elsewhere. Granted, I still enjoy it, but :shrug:

it still sells ads and that's the only point.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ferguson completely changed the format when he got bored and the show was so much better off for it. I miss him terribly.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

LividLiquid posted:

Ferguson completely changed the format when he got bored and the show was so much better off for it. I miss him terribly.

Fukken Larry King filling in for Jeff hahaha

Conan is good on the pod still. The only thing I miss now is the remotes, terrorising his entire staff, and Brian Stack sketches

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 30, 2021

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mooseontheloose posted:

it still sells ads and that's the only point.

Well and you are able to get the hottest stars of the moment on your program for basically free as well.

I think my biggest complaint over the current late night scene is that the shows were originally designed to make you feel good before going to sleep either by laughter or seeing someone you like. Now it is almost adding to the doom scrolling that the world in general is anymore. Granted we live in a very strange time and it is frankly disturbing that late night comedians are responsible for educating the masses about current events and issues.

For someone that just wants to step away from the world for awhile and feel good for a bit Conan was for the most part it. There isn’t much there that takes his place. Thankfully I have thousands of old Letterman and Conan episodes to fill the void and take me back to a simpler time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

conans making enough money after inventing podcasting, tbh im surprised hes not just doing that from now on and even trying another show.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Djarum posted:

I think my biggest complaint over the current late night scene is that the shows were originally designed to make you feel good before going to sleep either by laughter or seeing someone you like. Now it is almost adding to the doom scrolling that the world in general is anymore. Granted we live in a very strange time and it is frankly disturbing that late night comedians are responsible for educating the masses about current events and issues.

It's not impossible, but it is a lot harder than it used to be. When I think about old late night comedy monologues, usually it was all about 2 things: making light of current events and making fun of celebrities. The former seems to be getting harder to do without getting into depressing territory, and the latter is not nearly as culturally acceptable anymore (and for good reason). Honestly a lot of that stuff was kind of lazy comedy even when it worked. People in general seem to be demanding more from comedy now, where if you're tackling a subject that really affects people (as most of them do) you'll give it some more space for nuance. Often a quick punchline would just make you look ignorant/dismissive. Or, conversely, you can post a hyper ironically detached one-liner on Twitter with anonymity.

This is where some people would complain, "you're not allowed to make jokes anymore" but it's really more like... nobody (for the most part) is stopping you from making those kind of jokes, but people just won't find them as funny anymore. Like for example, picking on someone for having a funny-sounding name. Temporarily setting aside whether or not that was ever a wrong thing to do (it probably was), the fact is we have more global knowledge these days and we interact with more cultures on average. So half the people in the audience will be like "actually I have a co-worker with that name" or something, and it just won't seem as funny. And then you've got your "what's the deal with airline food" type humor. These days actually, airline food is pretty much fine, you know, for what it is.
I guess my point is that comedy largely relies on the unexpected, and what's really unexpected anymore, when we have constant access to all the knowledge in the world? So you kind of have to go deeper than just commenting on some weird thing that happened. Or the totally off-kilter Twitter type stuff like I mentioned before, which doesn't really translate to TV. The anonymity and ironic detachment allows you to just drop that one-liner and move on without giving the appearance that you don't care about something as much as you're supposed to.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 30, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Harminoff posted:

TBS should just get Adam Pally to host a new show

lol remember Pally and Ben's late late night thing. It was so good

sort of apropos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P8F284vf3c

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

LividLiquid posted:

I do too. I also love him going super improv, it imo made his interviews more interesting.

I don't watch late night shows much anymore aside from youtube clips. I would like to see late night shows that tried something different, but I just feel all of them are too cookie cutter. I like my comedy with a little bite and off the beaten path, and I don't get that in late night anymore.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Literally no one has done it better, and all you have to do is watch him riff for like two minutes with any random guest. His combination of earnest interest and desire to just roll with whatever the guest's response happened to be was the anti-late night interview in the best possible way. I spent hours watching old clips last week and it felt like time travel to a different part of my emotional self.

There will never be another person on late night TV with his life experience or ability to make as much from nothing just to talk to someone for eight minutes at a time, and we are all lesser for it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope this isn't :filez: but I found Conan's Inside the Actors Studio episode which I've been trying to find for ages since I first saw it like a decade ago and it's as funny and interesting as I remembered. Weird in retrospect to hear him speak so highly of Leno but I guess there's never been evidence of Conan being nothing but a classy dude so it's not unexpected and maybe he really did think highly of Jay at the time Late Night was about to wind down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

I hope this isn't :filez: but I found Conan's Inside the Actors Studio episode which I've been trying to find for ages since I first saw it like a decade ago and it's as funny and interesting as I remembered. Weird in retrospect to hear him speak so highly of Leno but I guess there's never been evidence of Conan being nothing but a classy dude so it's not unexpected and maybe he really did think highly of Jay at the time Late Night was about to wind down.

He did. Despite past producers and even former NBC executives telling Conan and his agent, "Don't trust Jay," Conan legitimately believed that he was getting The Tonight Show, Leno would go peacefully, and he'd have a 20-year run hosting his favorite show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

He did. Despite past producers and even former NBC executives telling Conan and his agent, "Don't trust Jay," Conan legitimately believed that he was getting The Tonight Show, Leno would go peacefully, and he'd have a 20-year run hosting his favorite show.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Timby posted:

Yeah I figured that would be the case, I have pretty hazy memories of that time up until Jay and NBC hosed him over but if it did anything it proved whata great guy Conan is even after being stabbed in the back like he was. And most importantly, how goddamn funny he could make even something that lovely of a situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32MYp-WAl2E

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah I figured that would be the case, I have pretty hazy memories of that time up until Jay and NBC hosed him over but if it did anything it proved whata great guy Conan is even after being stabbed in the back like he was. And most importantly, how goddamn funny he could make even something that lovely of a situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32MYp-WAl2E

I do remember reading from the War for Late Night book that the superbowl ad from 2010, the one with Leno and Letterman in it, was originally devised to not have Oprah, but Conan. My guess is that the lines Letterman said would have gone to Conan, and Dave would have been in the middle. Conan declined to participate. Then again, this was shortly after he got bought out, so I can't blame him for not wanting to have a sense of humor about it at that time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Timby posted:

Zuker flies under the radar for screwing over Conan and being just the worst.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Corrections Catch-Up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txt36g6cXA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2AH0T8Wa4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASmpM_2fZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jy_Nm2S5GE

Conan Afterglow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJex3MKwrIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsE1rMH18Tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKoHDfjM6Ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7BvhCaw4aU

pwn
May 27, 2004

And starting this next week, Kimmel’s got guest hosts all Summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5B4W6_Xz8

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pwn posted:

And starting this next week, Kimmel’s got guest hosts all Summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5B4W6_Xz8

That's a bunch of great guest hosts and also David Spade.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I didn’t post yesterday. Everything is reruns this week except Kimmel. But the ABC site had a blank page for the schedule until this morning.

Anthony Anderson will be hosting the Game Night episodes before the NBA Finals on Tuesday and Thursday at 8/7c, and Wanda Sykes will be hosting the mainline show at 11:35 Tuesday through... Friday? The Friday slot is still TBC (what does that mean?) Anyway we all thank you for bearing with us through this wonky time.

Speaking of, if you like keeping recordings, I’d suggest recording the Game Night shows yourself. Also, the main show on those nights may very well run late because of the aforementioned sportsball, so adjust your recordings accordingly. Or just watch it on Hulu 6 hours later.

Schedule for the week starting 2021.07.05
Subject and likely to change

Kimmel
Monday - Rerun
Tuesday -
Before the Game: Chance the Rapper
After the Game: Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Kim Fields, Merry Clayton
Wednesday - Colin Farrell, Quinta Brunson, Japanese Breakfast
Thursday -
Before the Game: Jason Momoa
After the Game: Nick Kroll, Chiney Ogwumike, Macy Gray and the California Jet Club
Friday - TBC :shepicide:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

The Friday slot is still TBC (what does that mean?)

Generally it means To Be Continued, but that wouldn't apply here. :psyduck:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TBC is a pretty common abbreviation for To Be Confirmed...

pwn
May 27, 2004

Vegetable posted:

TBC is a pretty common abbreviation for To Be Confirmed...

Ah, thank you. I’d only ever seen TBA and TBD before!

pwn
May 27, 2004

hey here you go here's something interesting. Everyone loves the corrections segments, they're wonderful. I capped all the gags on the back of Seth's page. It's not an index card. With one blank card exception, the first six weeks, they were recycled bits of refuse that I'm sure NYC shows have in abundance.

These placards bear the following message:

quote:

This area has been cleaned and disinfected
If using this workspace, please remove and discard this signage. Please contact facilities with any questions or concerns at 212.664.HELP
Stay Healthy
Work Safe

With the seventh online installment, they started making custom papers. The small text is the same, but omits the phone number.

He doesn't show us the back of the page in the ninth episode. :saddowns:

#012 was part of a running gag in the episode about these short form videos being submitted for Emmy consideration. Although this episode would not be eligible for the 2021 awards, the first 10 episodes are.

I wonder if these segments will continue in the future, especially after they start taping with audiences again. We had 13 great episodes, plus the backdoor pilot from March 1. You can view these caps in this Imgur album.

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 7, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tonight I thought about something that randomly pops into my head every once in a while but I'm never at a computer when I think about it. Considering I was finally at my computer when I thought about it (and was ready to go to bed) I Googled around to no avail.

Conan O'Brien's goofy blue and white mug with words on it is something he's had for a very long time. The story is that producer Greg Daniels gave it to him and continues on about Conan using replicas on his desk because of the crew being a bit loose handed with things on set. However, I definitely remember watching the episode when Conan is given that mug. What I can't find online? The clip of him receiving the mug.

Is there any way on Earth that clip exists somewhere on the Internet?

Alternately my memory has been wrong since I was 9 and all I really saw was someone messing with the mug.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 8, 2021

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

he talks about it in the simpsons writer interview video iirc

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The mug was on his desk from the first episode. It was never given to him on air. Steve Carell broke the Eisenhower one once. It was a replica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hasn't there been multiple breakings of the Ike cup