Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do you think he would have been told that a transphobic episode in the third season (before transphobia was on the national agenda) would later result in the marital and mental decline of the writer to the point that a public apology would be demanded, because if that was in the show bible and he still accepted then fair enough.

No, but that’s not what you were saying and you know it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i've always been partial to comedy-ish SCPs - not like the "joke" ones, but where they work as an actual SCP in addition to being funny

like the aforementioned bridge that makes you hate Carthage, or the racist alien, or this heartwarming take on the extremely played-out concept of "killer monster that hates all life"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
For good audio versions of SCP entries check out:

TheVolgun
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVolgun

The Exploring Series
https://www.youtube.com/user/ManggMangg

Evan Royalty
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvanRoyalty

Volgun does them deadpan factual, as if a proper Foundation training classroom.

The Exploring Series is a great narrative of the stories, giving his own opinion and side references, a great tale teller.

Evan Royalty If you haven't already WATCH THIS poo poo NOW WATCH THIS poo poo NOW. He used machinema (GTAV though you can't tell its that well done) to make some excellent vids.
Released his first live action one a month or two ago.

I personally don't like the animated cartoon channels of SCP, it should be gritty, desperate, shocking, depressing. Not sunday morning cartoons.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jumping back a few pages to say I don't give David Mitchell the benefit of the doubt. I think he's just a lot smarter than Webb and knows to keep his trap shut. Intense centre right energy radiating from him. I think they played mildly exaggerated versions of themselves on peep show.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Speaking of uncanny and terrifying phenomena - Windows XP is now as old as BBC BASIC was when XP came out, and I'm extremely old and sad now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

It's always worth checking out local independent butchers and trying their black pudding offerings.

That does rather depend on your locality. Aint nowhere independent that isn't halal round here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Halal black pudding is porridge.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

jiggerypokery posted:

Did England take the knee before the match? If so are there any implosions on right twitter?

Yes and will for every match. Both teams did today. Mild boos but drowned out by cheers.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of uncanny and terrifying phenomena - Windows XP is now as old as BBC BASIC was when XP came out, and I'm extremely old and sad now.

More time has passed since the release of GTA Vice City than passed between the game's release and when it was set. Something made today set an equal length of time in the past would be set in 2005.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

escapegoat posted:

More time has passed since the release of GTA Vice City than passed between the game's release and when it was set. Something made today set an equal length of time in the past would be set in 2005.

i think we're overdue for a surge in nostalgic takes on mid-2000s

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Really depressed thinking how poo poo HS2 is compared to Tesla's investment in this countries infrastructure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
David Bowie was the best Tesla.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
As an aside can I just say properly impressed with guavanaut. Not sure they're human.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

nurmie posted:

GTA Occupy Wall Street

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Halal black pudding is porridge.

What about black pudding made from your own blood

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

winegums posted:

I think they played mildly exaggerated versions of themselves on peep show.

In the same light:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

What about black pudding made from your own blood
That could possibly be Vegan, because you can consent to giving blood for any purpose. It wouldn't be Kosher, because you're supposed to dispose of any food that you get your own blood on with reasonable exceptions (and drawing several pints to make a sausage is well beyond that). Not sure about Halal, I can't imagine it'd be well received though.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kieth caught bonny stumbling out of the ale house

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1409969368549761024?s=19

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

nurmie posted:

There's a nu-metal and third-wave emo revival going on right now, along with hyperpop, which is all very early 00s aesthetics.

So the mid-00s nostalgia is coming on quick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they can use technology to make gerard way into a twink again that would be nice.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There's a nu-metal and third-wave emo revival going on right now, along with hyperpop, which is all very early 00s aesthetics.

So the mid-00s nostalgia is coming on quick.

oh yeah, hyperpop's super cool, though it strikes me as more of a late 00's thing tbh

they should just remaster and rerelease the first two NFS: Undergrounds. they feel like time capsules now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hyperpop, congratulations on beating out "putting post- in front of a genre" for the dumbest sounding genre of music.

It seems like a term coined by a Vice writer who'd normally write about shoving DMT into their ears.

I can't even remember what 3rd wave emo is. Is that Jimmy Eat World & Get Up Kids & all that?

Emo is another term about as useful as an oil rig in Manchester city centre, if someone says they like enough I've no idea if they mean Dashboard Confessional or Touché Amore or Rites of Spring. And then there's people arguing if something is emo or screamo or post-hardcore and gently caress me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's when they figured out that solidarity with the moshers and the goths is important to stand up to the intersectionally oppressive structures of the jocks and the townies.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

escapegoat posted:

things like that used to give me a sort of vertiginous sensation but then i remind myself that it doesn't matter anyway because if you think about it the romans and that would have made the same observations :thumbsup:

just not with computer games i suppose

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i hated being young anyway, being older with a back problem is a much better look for a curmudgeonly oddball

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

crispix posted:

i hated being young anyway, being older with a back problem is a much better look for a curmudgeonly oddball

DEATH approaches.

lol good luck with your stupid burning planet, alive-o idiots

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah it wasn't very funny but I thought the Worlds end was great.

It doesn't compare to Hot Fuzz favourably because Hot Fuzz is a perfect movie.

Sean I liked a lot, not a zombie movie fan but I appreciated it as a sorta movie adaptation of that spaced episode with the zombies.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think I got real mad at worlds end because I didn't understand why the aliens were such lovely imperialists that they didn't want to leave us alone. Most of the planet could have continued fairly well from the mid 80's onwards just on "current" technical improvements, which is when they made their presence known and everything they did was just cruel and lovely for no good reason.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I hated World's End. Gary is a shithead who only cares about himself. The Nick Frost character is mocked for being sober and it's played as a good thing that he starts drinking again. The Martin Freeman character is brutally killed and replaced and it's played more for a joke than anything else. I dunno, it just felt very mean-spirited in a way I didn't feel from the other movies. Nice to see so much of the local suburban wastes though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I can't even remember what 3rd wave emo is. Is that Jimmy Eat World & Get Up Kids & all that?

Emo is another term about as useful as an oil rig in Manchester city centre, if someone says they like enough I've no idea if they mean Dashboard Confessional or Touché Amore or Rites of Spring. And then there's people arguing if something is emo or screamo or post-hardcore and gently caress me.

They're second wave imo, third wave is idk My Chemical Romance or Panic At The Discos first album - when the term lost all meaning because the NME started writing about it and it became just the new version of calling things "goth".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I felt this piece in the New Statesman about Starmer by Simon Fletcher who recently stood down after working for Ed Miliband, Jezza, and Starmer, was subtly damning.

(You can read 4 articles a month for free).

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/06/keir-starmer-s-labour-desperately-needs-stand-something

This is a good article and, as you said, subtly damning about how the current leadership has bafflingly squandered the substantial reserves of goodwill and legitimacy that they started with, leaving absolutely everyone dissatisfied.

It's certainly better than Rafael Behr's latest piece in the Guardian, where he argues (completely straight-faced!) that Starmer's main problem is that he's just too darn reluctant to offend the left of the party to bring in the big, sensible changes and policies that would enable him to win.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Josef bugman posted:

I think I got real mad at worlds end because I didn't understand why the aliens were such lovely imperialists that they didn't want to leave us alone. Most of the planet could have continued fairly well from the mid 80's onwards just on "current" technical improvements, which is when they made their presence known and everything they did was just cruel and lovely for no good reason.

Again, it plays into the Brexit narrative.

What have these distant Leader types ever done for us? Things were better when we were kids. Leave us alone and let us make our own decisions!

But we are hardwired into every aspect of your society, leaving will have terrible consequences.

Leave Now!

(Que end Apocalypse scene.)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

You don’t like chocolate oranges or black pudding? I’m starting to think that you’re disliking good food as a bit

nurmie posted:

Driving around the city shooting up bad guys to the thumping beats of Ayy, Macarena!

TACD fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 30, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TACD posted:

You don’t like chocolate oranges or black pudding? I’m starting to think that you’re disliking good food as a bit

Probably one of those things where if you weren't raised with it, it doesn't appeal to you. Imagine someone describing Haggis or Black Pudding to you if you didn't grow up with them? Chocolate + orange is just a bad combo and jaffa cakes are also bad.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Black pudding is essentially a big scab.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Folks, what if it actually comes home? :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

nurmie posted:

y2k aesthetic is a huge fashion trend (which I am loving)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Labour getting their excuses in early for Batley and Spen:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/30/chance-of-holding-batley-and-spen-as-low-as-5-say-key-labour-figures

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're second wave imo, third wave is idk My Chemical Romance or Panic At The Discos first album - when the term lost all meaning because the NME started writing about it and it became just the new version of calling things "goth".

Is this not just what happens every 4-5 years or so when a new bunch of teenagers discover their older siblings musical tastes from 10 years back?
I've never even heard of Hyperpop but it appears it's pretty much the same as PC Music that Vice just would not shut the gently caress up about a few years ago, mainly because that 'scene' comprised entirely of their mates & they were the only ones listening to it. Which seems entirely typical of them given they seem to believe the world comprises of the triangle between Curtain road, Old St & Great Eastern st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wait is hypnagocic pop coming back because 2010 me is hyped to get gakked up on mephedrone and hit some house parties.