Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Remember when Covid hit and Grrum secluded himself in one of his castles to focus on his writing?

I'm sure he made a lot of progress, and the next book will hit any time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I pretty sure after he dies we will find out the true ending (in another napkin bullet list lost in one of his drawers)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Remember when Covid hit and Grrum secluded himself in one of his castles to focus on his writing?

I'm sure he made a lot of progress, and the next book will hit any time now.

He claimed to write hundreds of pages while also saying he had a lot more to do. Assuming hes not lying what are the odds that those hundreds of pages are new material rather than rewrites of poo poo he threw out before?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

He has just been constantly rewriting the same flashback sequence of the time Kelly C was raped by Carl Drogo

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Its all just food scene menu tweaks

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Karl Draggo and his dragon Drogon

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

bloom posted:

Karl Draggo and his dragon Drogon

minimalist berlin techno feat. urine viking

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

bloom posted:

minimalist berlin techno feat. urine viking

This is so on point. But I'm gonna suggest Gabber is the precise style instead of Minimalist.

I would totally listen to Karl Draggo and his Dragon Drogon ( Feat. Ur-in-King ) spin/perform at the KitKat in Berlin with a headful of E's that turn out to be pure meth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KegTv8H2QQM&t=97s

.>k.elli.c<. is spinning her minimal set 4-5 am. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUl43l71rEM&t=577s

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Thats not even news, he already said as much a couple of years ago when his only way to be relevant was to jump on the HBO show hate bandwagon.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Say what you want about the mountain that doesn't write, but at least he doesn't poo poo in a box and hand it in as the manuscript like some other people involved in the process who got bored about three seasons in.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
GoT season 4 and onward phoned it in so hard, but the continuity of actors and sets did enough to trick dumb people's brains into thinking they were watching the same show that the outrage didn't come until the last episode. Hollywood rescue after Hollywood rescue. Ships that travel 3 month journeys in a single night. Edgy scenes like Jaime and Cersei banging in the same room as their son's corpse. Season 4 and onward definitively proved the showrunners didn't understand what made Martin's books tick. You can watch a single isolated scene and just tell. It's the most clear direction change change show has made out of incompetence since the Walking Dead jumped ship after season 1 (or 2? Can't remember).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Both GRRM and D&D lost interest in the story after the Red Wedding so they have that similarity going for them.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

BananaNutkins posted:

scenes like Jaime and Cersei banging in the same room as their son's corpse. Season 4 and onward definitively proved the showrunners didn't understand what made Martin's books tick.

this is directly from the books lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

jsoh posted:

D&D turned it into a rape scene though, allegedly without realizing it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

jsoh posted:

False.

Jaime raped Cersei on top of Joffrey's corpse in the book.

Because GRRM.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

D&D turned it into a rape scene though, allegedly without realizing it.

Wait... which one was rape? I thought that was the book.

So many years of not caring anymore has turned the whole series into bad dick jokes and rape in my memory.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

False.

Because GRRM.

The book version wasn't a rape scene, was it?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I have no idea who's raping who anymore.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Vichan posted:

The book version wasn't a rape scene, was it?

I think the book version starts with No and ends with Yes, which is how all GRRM rape-but-not-really-but-yes-still-definitely-rape scenes go, but in the show it is just No all the way through.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. It's when I realized without any question that the show would be unwatchably bad going forward. They wrote, filmed, and edited a rape scene without at any point realizing they had done so. D&D were/are literally too loving stupid to distinguish rape from not rape.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yeah. It's when I realized without any question that the show would be unwatchably bad going forward. They wrote, filmed, and edited a rape scene without at any point realizing they had done so. D&D were/are literally too loving stupid to distinguish rape from not rape.

I do remember them glossing over Dany/Drogo going from rape to love instantaneously.

Also, Sansa/Ramsay is just unforgivable trash.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sticking just with GRRM being an awful writer in ways other than being a sex creep I havent read any of the TWoW preview chapters because gently caress that but Ive heard a ton about the Euron one and I find it insane all the fan theories that have come out of it. Im not saying the theories about him being some edgy super villain who will unleash Eldritch Horrors on the world and actually be the books version of the Night King and take the role of the Big Bad are incorrect but it seems like absolutely godawful story telling to introduce all of this poo poo in whats supposed to be the last two books in a 7 book series but hey Im not the American Tolkien.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well in the original Tolkien the Big Bad only shows up in the last book to be killed by that girl so...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tolkien also said Orcs look like Mongolians. Dude still didn't overhype and underdeliver, and left enough material for his sons to publish for like 30 straight years after his death. He deserves some critical appraisal for being "of his time" but he ain't poo poo like GRRM is poo poo.

I'm gonna :smug: and say I checked out in Season 2 when I realized the showrunners had no actual interest in showing the sweeping, massive armies-- even in cheap wide CGI shots-- and the whole production looked like an expensive telenovela (because it was). That was an early tell they didn't understand a huge reason all of the melodrama in the early books works is because it's consistently contrasted with the cost of human life each time a rich, petty dickhead makes a decision.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GRRMs last and greatest trick is going to be to actually finish the series just before he croaks and have an ending worse than the show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

False.

Because GRRM.

Lol you see the rape is totally not GURM

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Wait... which one was rape? I thought that was the book.

So many years of not caring anymore has turned the whole series into bad dick jokes and rape in my memory.

iirc, in the books, cersei was the initiator and jaime was reluctant (because he was already into brienne). basically the opposite of the tv show.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

BananaNutkins posted:

GoT season 4 and onward phoned it in so hard, but the continuity of actors and sets did enough to trick dumb people's brains into thinking they were watching the same show that the outrage didn't come until the last episode. Hollywood rescue after Hollywood rescue. Ships that travel 3 month journeys in a single night. Edgy scenes like Jaime and Cersei banging in the same room as their son's corpse. Season 4 and onward definitively proved the showrunners didn't understand what made Martin's books tick. You can watch a single isolated scene and just tell. It's the most clear direction change change show has made out of incompetence since the Walking Dead jumped ship after season 1 (or 2? Can't remember).

I remember getting a weird feeling about the show after Season 2, and I only started figuring it out after the scene in Season 8 where Bronn is given the crossbow and told to kill Tyrion and Jamie. In that scene, he's sitting in a room in King's Landing, and it just felt really empty. The set looked half-assed compared to the early season and something about the general vibe made it seem like there was not another person around for miles.

Then I kind of started to realize how much of GoT's world started to condense around the characters after The Red Wedding. There are no real "factions" after that point. Every once in a while you see a Northern or Southern Lord and a half-CGI army walking around, but for the most part, Westeros and Essos feel as though they're only populated by the main characters. You can see it when Cersei blows up the Sept and nobody talks about it or how Ellaria can just kill Doran and I guess she's the Queen of Dorne now. Meanwhile, in ADWD, there's a really great plotline about all of the Northern houses locked in Winterfell with each other while there's some actual intrigue in Meereen (though it is still kind of a slog in the books, too).

Anyway, I basically gave up on the series finishing when I found out about George's "gardening" writing process. I suppose it works for condensed, planned stories, but I can't imagine being even halfway productive when using that method to write novels that are thousands of pages long with tons of branching character paths.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sticking just with GRRM being an awful writer in ways other than being a sex creep I havent read any of the TWoW preview chapters because gently caress that but Ive heard a ton about the Euron one and I find it insane all the fan theories that have come out of it. Im not saying the theories about him being some edgy super villain who will unleash Eldritch Horrors on the world and actually be the books version of the Night King and take the role of the Big Bad are incorrect but it seems like absolutely godawful story telling to introduce all of this poo poo in whats supposed to be the last two books in a 7 book series but hey Im not the American Tolkien.

I'm not really interested in Euron despite fans pushing him like Vince pushed Roman Reigns, but I find Victarion's arc to possibly be interesting. I have the feeling GRRM plans for Dany to basically gently caress off from Essos like she should have done in the show (but we couldn't show her being irresponsible or losing, so she just left a mercenary to rule her conquests gently caress the show was so bad), and Victarion is her best chance of getting to Westeros at this point. Too bad we'll never find out what happens.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 28, 2021

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I'm not really interested in Euron despite fans pushing him like Vince pushed Roman Reigns, but I find Victarion's arc to possibly be interesting

Euron isn't even interesting. I get he was supposed to be with his whores and blue wine and whatnot, but Yeah - Victorian was a more interesting / flawed character. Euron was just a caricature.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL that green text is more words than GRRM has written in a decade.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

You really cannot find the merch on the shelves anymore so I believe it.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The local PLCB (Pennsylvania liquor store) still has a display of GoT-branded Johnny Walker that nobody touches despite the bottles costing about as much as Jim Beam. It's amazing that GoT as a license is worth poo poo right now. Funny enough, I bet there are talented video game developers with great ideas that could single-handedly save the franchise, but HBO would rather have another garbage mobile game, instead.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The local PLCB (Pennsylvania liquor store) still has a display of GoT-branded Johnny Walker that nobody touches despite the bottles costing about as much as Jim Beam. It's amazing that GoT as a license is worth poo poo right now. Funny enough, I bet there are talented video game developers with great ideas that could single-handedly save the franchise, but HBO would rather have another garbage mobile game, instead.

Id rather that video game talent work on just about anything else.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Doubtful, because the brand is just that toxic. Why use a ruined brand like ASOIAF instead of one of the countless other IPs out there? Rothfuss is a younger, more worthless GRRM but the Kingkiller books aren't radioactive like ASOIAF has become (though IIRC, all the movie and TV show options have since expired or otherwise are in limbo). You want to make a good fantasy TV show with political intrigue? Take the Empire trilogy by Janny Wurst and make a TV show set based on that. Mara of the Acoma is a better female protagonist than anyone in ASOIAF and if the show becomes a hit then they can do a series based around the first Riftwar, which would also include some key Empire scenes from a different perspective like Pug snapping at the Great Games and its subsequent fallout. Not to mention that Betrayal at Krondor kicked rear end so they've already shown you can make a good video game in the Riftwar cycle setting.

At this point HBO's only pushing ahead with the new shows because they *need* it, badly. GoT was a massive driver of subscriptions that no previous show ever came close to and not only did the show end in a massive garbage fire but they had nothing good to keep people subscribed and they lost millions of subscribers when the show ended.

e:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

With seasons 6-7 it was noticeable that the merch was getting to be less and less and by the time the final season came around it was minimal and tghen I think when I ran to the store the weekend after the series finale what few GoT items were being sold at local stores had been removed and replaced.

I'd love to see a track for legal name change requests just to see how many people were named Daenerys or Khalessi and had their names changed by their parents, let alone those who will do it themselves when they become adults and don't want to be named after Fantasy Dragon Lady Hitler.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 30, 2021

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

Doubtful, because the brand is just that toxic. Why use a ruined brand like ASOIAF instead of one of the countless other IPs out there? Rothfuss is a younger, more worthless GRRM but the Kingkiller books aren't radioactive like ASOIAF has become (though IIRC, all the movie and TV show options have since expired or otherwise are in limbo). You want to make a good fantasy TV show with political intrigue? Take the Empire trilogy by Janny Wurst and make a TV show set based on that. Mara of the Acoma is a better female protagonist than anyone in ASOIAF and if the show becomes a hit then they can do a series based around the first Riftwar, which would also include some key Empire scenes from a different perspective like Pug snapping at the Great Games and its subsequent fallout. Not to mention that Betrayal at Krondor kicked rear end so they've already shown you can make a good video game in the Riftwar cycle setting.

I don't think GoT will ever reach the heights it reached again, but I think there can be something to salvage but I don't think that another series is going to make it happen. At best, the prequel series coming out would be as good as GoT 1-3 and would just make people think "Who cares? This is still going to end in a pile of poo poo."

On the other hand, I still genuinely think that if you got a game that tried to distance itself from the main series' story as much as possible it could take advantage of a longing to jump back into the universe. A Total War: Westeros or a Shadow of Mordor-like could pull in hardcore fans of the show who just wanted that immersive experience, or get the normies who liked GoT to think "Oh hey! That show! There's a game too? I wanna play that game!" I think people would just really like to swing swords around in GoT's world. And if the game is fun, Then it could at least have people feeling less sour towards the franchise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd love to see a track for legal name change requests just to see how many people were named Daenerys or Khalessi and had their names changed by their parents, let alone those who will do it themselves when they become adults and don't want to be named after Fantasy Dragon Lady Hitler.
Now I want to see the Venn Diagram between people who "gotta give it up for Hitler" and parents that named their kids Daenerys or Khaleesi. I bet it's a lot more overlap than anyone wants to know.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Saw this earlier today and it's 100% believable. For a decade you couldn't throw a rock without hitting some GoT tie-in merch and the final season made it all just evaporate into the ether. Must've been astonishing to watch from the marketing, supply chain, etc side. Usually by this point they'd be peddling all manner commemorative collectors edition junk, eight different special edition box sets, all sort of cast retrospectives, the whole deal and yet... absolutely nothing. I imagine some endorsement deals for the main cast probably dried up too, which must've sucked.

People had a whole year and change and decided to watch anything but GoT. The eventual unpacking of how this got so hosed up is going to be immensely good, it's the only thing related to this series left to look forward to. There will never be another book, the spinoffs will be just decent if they aren't outright disappointing.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh, he'll finish Winds of Winter and release it before he dies - but I have absolutely no faith in him actually wrapping up the series. It feels really obvious to me that the issue at this point is as much because of the format of the books and the nature of the POV chapters; he's basically writing no less than a dozen interconnected novels running in parallel in the same universe, and he's written himself into a corner into at least half of those threads, and clearly lost interest in many of the others. By the end of books 4 and 5, things just felt hopelessly lost, and not in a good way. Some new plot threads were good (like Theon and Brienne) while some older ones (like Tyrion and Dany) seemed to go horrifically wrong, and other ones (Bran, Jamie) seemed weirdly truncated and incomplete.

In a way it might be better if he never released another book, but given that he had already completed a good chunk of Winds as of like 5-6 years ago, I can only imagine there's some really bloated and atrociously unedited wreck of a book we're going to get before he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I always believed he kept killing off all the cool characters and now hes left with ones that are a lot less cooler and doesnt know what to do with them. He could make new ones but thats hard when theres already really good ones that are dead to make comparisons to. He just had to keep killing off main characters cause the subversion was novel at the time. Im starting to think GURM is just nonstop indulgent in his lifestyle/work.