Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not only do I like it, but I also miss the modern sections with Desmond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I liked the Ezio ones.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Never played Assassins Creed, it's kinda like Far Cry? That was fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Indie games got a reputation like 10 years ago for being pretentious or something (?), so it became en vogue for nerds to poo poo on them. I have no idea why. Maybe the movie? Phil Fish? Who knows. I've noticed that when a game gets praised for being smart or having a lesson, it sets off some defense mechanism in a lot of nerds and they get really mad about it. There's always a lot of posting that reads like "this game thinks it's sooo smart. But it's not. It's DUMB! No I don't have any reason I think that but I am smart. I'm not dumb. Like that dumb game"

It's the dumbest thing in the world to hate on because it's literally like saying"I hate everything but top 40 music" and being proud of it. That said, I'd be perfectly happy with the term "indie game" being retired though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

doverhog posted:

Never played Assassins Creed, it's kinda like Far Cry? That was fun.

yeah pretty much far cry or the middle earth games

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

veni veni veni posted:

Indie games got a reputation like 10 years ago for being pretentious or something (?), so it became en vogue for nerds to poo poo on them. I have no idea why. Maybe the movie? Phil Fish? Who knows. I've noticed that when a game gets praised for being smart or having a lesson, it sets off some defense mechanism in a lot of nerds and they get really mad about it. There's always a lot of posting that reads like "this game thinks it's sooo smart. But it's not. It's DUMB! No I don't have any reason I think that but I am smart. I'm not dumb. Like that dumb game"

It's the dumbest thing in the world to hate on because it's literally like saying"I hate everything but top 40 music" and being proud of it. That said, I'd be perfectly happy with the term "indie game" being retired though.

It was, in part, a backlash to popular indie game creators of the time being kind of pretentious dicks. Are nerds overly sensitive? Absolutely. But they also love to lord how their chosen entertainment isn’t brain dead like the bad entertainment those other nerds like. The entertainment I like shows how smart and cool I am, etc.

What I’m saying is that lots of people are jerks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sweevo posted:

Indie games are the only place you will ever see new ideas, instead of Generic AAA FPS part #28672

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP3UngLFou4

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Not only do I like it, but I also miss the modern sections with Desmond.

:mods:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

there was a trend of bad pixel art, kind of like in the game vvvvvvvvvv, but that's passed and some of those games were pretty good in spite of the bad graphics

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i don't hate assasins creed either or anything, i dont really have any strong feelings about it, but it's not for me

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I kind of despise AssCreed for the way it has so many historical figures be part of one of two conspiracies. Fist fighting the pope rules though

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Assassins Creed games would be great if they didn't have all that Assassin/Templar poo poo in them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah what little I've played of Assassins Creed games hasn't been terrible or anything but then all the stupid side story poo poo comes in and woops alt+f4

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

tbh i know nothing about asscreed really except as a shorthand for "big budget third person action adventure", it might be fine for all i know, but i'll never know because it'll probably take a long installation, settings, tutorial and cutscene parade for me to find out

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the nicest thing i can say about assassins creed as I got a copy of the pirate one with a graphics card and i played it once for a couple of hours and then never thought about it again because it was totally unremarkable

the second nicest thing I can say is I rented a copy of odyssey since none of the other games on my wish list were available and i think it was in my ps4 for about 5, maybe 10 minutes, it was utter tripe, just a shite videogame that felt like a bad version of a dozen things i'd played before

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

Indie games got a reputation like 10 years ago for being pretentious or something (?), so it became en vogue for nerds to poo poo on them. I have no idea why.

It was because Jonathan Blow and Phil Fish became the faces of the indie game scene, which is a very generous term when it consisted of pretty much whoever came to fawn over them at a mustache bar in Toronto. That wouldn't have mattered except they are probably the two individuals most in need of a wedgie in the entire world. The twin embodiments of backpfeifengesicht.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People absolutely love to dunk on Jonathan Blow in the way veni is describing in a way I've never seen people dump on a person in the videogame industry much less one whose biggest crime is making 2 brilliant games

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

I kind of despise AssCreed for the way it has so many historical figures be part of one of two conspiracies. Fist fighting the pope rules though

god that pope fight sucked so bad. The lead up was so cool, you're sneaking through the Vatican, you come up on that ledge above them, and it's like, hell yeah you're about to assassinate the flap, I was so psyched to leap down and stab the Pope through the brain in front of all the other Cardinals and then have to make an epic escape from the Swiss Guard. But instead, cutscene, and then it's just a fight in a pit. The game is called Assassin's Creed, not Punching Creed!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People absolutely love to dunk on Jonathan Blow in the way veni is describing in a way I've never seen people dump on a person in the videogame industry much less one whose biggest crime is making 2 brilliant games

It's true that doesn't make much sense

It's just like if a film maker made two art house movies that were kind of okay, but every movie media outlet wouldn't shut up about him or ever stop platforming his dumb ideas about movie culture. For a decade.

Like it irrationally annoys me that I even know the guy's name

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s because he got elevated as a genius game maker and spent some years as a more public figure. Familiarity breeds contempt, and so on, and then the meme of him being a dick caught on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh almost all talk about Jonathan Blow over the years I have heard has been "he's making a game" (braid), "he's making a new game" (the Witness) and then ten years of people complaining about him.

Phil Fish I can sort of understand more because he's a loving dick and extremely arrogant. But even his games were pretty good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What do you call games like Paradox ones that are certainly not indie but are not exactly huge AAA Call of Battlefield's Creed games either? Like, leaders of a niche genre?

I like paradox games.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What do you call games like Paradox ones that are certainly not indie but are not exactly huge AAA Call of Battlefield's Creed games either? Like, leaders of a niche genre?

I like paradox games.

those are also AAA games

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm on level 6,403 on Candy Crush Saga and I'm pretty proud of it.

I can't follow story lines and I get confused when I have to use a firearm but I can match colors all day.

I'm also very good at Archero. Because randomly clicking and hoping for the best is how I win games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like paradox games.

I think it was Jeff Gerstmann who explained the actual concept of AAA games has more to do with the Marketing Budget than the size of the team or the money spent in Development. Paradox games are A or AA games depending. They put up good numbers for what they are, but aren't mainstream really. Nor do they spend much on marketing.

veni veni veni posted:

Indie games got a reputation like 10 years ago for being pretentious or something (?), so it became en vogue for nerds to poo poo on them. I have no idea why.
There's some truth to the pretentious angle. When the Games as Art crowd started hyping up people like Jon Blow and Phil Fish as visionaries who were gonna destroy the rotten foundations of corporate videogames and usher in a new golden age of gaming. Just pure loving wankery.

Like most times the problem is mostly related to how the games media chose to frame the conversation. Phil Fish is especially a dumbass, but he and Blow both made some good rear end games, but when you create this narrative that "Indie" games are in competition with "AAA" games it just made both camps start sharpening their knives.

It's also a bit ridiculous that they thought the great indie awakening was going to save gaming. If you look at the most influential games of the last generations of consoles it ain't Braid, Gone Home, FEZ, or any other indie game of that era. It's Dark Soul's, Asscreed, Skyrim, and Tlou.

Indie games are also just as guilty as shamelessly copying their peers as the AAA industry. Look at all the deckbuilder Roguelites that came out in the wake of Slay the Spire.

Indie has also been taken on as a sort of genre in and of itself, the same way pop music doesn't refer to popular music any longer. And that genre as a whole is pretty bad. So many shameless copies of popular games and games that amount to Mario but worse, or Sotn but worse. Don't get me wrong there's some great indies games out there, but whenever people start talking about the million great indie games out there I wonder where exactly they're seeing them.

This is probably just in the Western world but it also annoys me that most people would have you believe the indie scene started in the tens.

It effectively ignores all the imo way cooler poo poo people have been doing for decades. Japanese fangames, bedroom coders in Europe working on Speccys and poo poo, all the cool flash poo poo that came out of newgrounds and the like, and weird easternbloc games. Instead they focus on some disgruntled former AAA devs.

Just so I'm not super negative, the AlphaBeta gamer channel has previews for a bunch of interesting poo poo from itch.io and other non mainstream platforms that never get coverage

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What would you call World of Warcraft, that I started to play again during the pandemic lock-down? Left Azeroth pretty far behind, in the afterlife now.

MMOs used to be the next big thing but as far as I know no one thinks that anymore, more like how long can WoW keep going.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

What would you call World of Warcraft, that I started to play again during the pandemic lock-down? Left Azeroth pretty far behind, in the afterlife now.

MMOs used to be the next big thing but as far as I know no one thinks that anymore, more like how long can WoW keep going.

There's only two MMOs anybody really talks about nowadays, FFXIV because it's the best Final Fantasy game and WoW because it's the MMO and will never die.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Everything is online now so the appeal of a MMO isn't there anymore I guess. Even WoW has given up on a lot of the original ideas and has poo poo like phasing, seasons and level scaling now, which the original game didn't have. Also let's not even talk about all the ideas they (nebulous they, not Blizzard) had for Ultima Online.

WoW classic though, lol. My brother plays current wow not classic so not a hard choice to make, choice is more like do I even wanna play this. Answer is yeah , sub renewal and next patch coming up at around the same time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
New Orleans is the best city in the US

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Only parts of it. Some of it is the worst place I've ever lived and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't mean like geographically, just some parts of living there are a gigantic hassle. Like the traffic and the tourists and MY SWEET BABY JESUS THE SMELL.

But the good parts are like shockingly good. You can find food at any random gas station that's better than any other food in the country.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I really like new orleans-style food but I don't think I could ever live there. It might be better than the DC metro area though - this has been the worst part of the US that I have ever lived in. It's not even nice looking here, it's just the worst traffic you can imagine and crime.

I think somewhere like Santa Fe is my ideal place to live and work. Has some cool stuff, a decent amount of people, but it's not the congested hellhole that the northeast is. Better weather too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

New Orleans is the best city in the US

Weird way to spell Houston.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I really like new orleans-style food but I don't think I could ever live there. It might be better than the DC metro area though - this has been the worst part of the US that I have ever lived in. It's not even nice looking here, it's just the worst traffic you can imagine and crime.

I think somewhere like Santa Fe is my ideal place to live and work. Has some cool stuff, a decent amount of people, but it's not the congested hellhole that the northeast is. Better weather too.

That's my homeland. Santa Fe is good, but it's no New Orleans.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What is so great about New Orleans. I am not american so explain it to me as I was a child. I see it in US media all the time, but I also saw stuff about the hurricane, and see stuff about the state that is not flattering.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Weird way to spell Houston.
I like Houston because you can live anywhere inside of a 80 mile radius and still say you live in Houston.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

doverhog posted:

What is so great about New Orleans. I am not american so explain it to me as I was a child. I see it in US media all the time, but I also saw stuff about the hurricane, and see stuff about the state that is not flattering.

An important thing to learn as a non American is that the large cities are basically all regional variations on the same culture for the most part, but the surrounding rural areas are all very different.

Also, New Orleans has a great bar/event scene and is pretty to look at and is mostly sorta walkable for a US city and the food is top notch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
NOLA has way more regional culture than most, if not all, US cities, plus the best food and a very strong community.

May or may not be ranting about it because I got hired to a NOLA job that I always wanted.

e: one time my cousin lost her phone at a 24hr bar and, hours later when her phone was given up for lost, I was walking to the store for snacks and swisher sweets and some rando flagged me down in french and gave me her lost phone. That will never happen anywhere else. Community love and the mother tongue goes a long way for me.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Jun 30, 2021

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

New Orleans, like the South as a whole, has loving amazing food and absolutely poo poo everything else.

Also gently caress New Orleans.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ll accept NOLA as the best American city. I don’t love it but I’ll accept it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

doverhog posted:

What is so great about New Orleans

i heard there's a certain house there. it's quite famous apparently. something about astronomical phenomena and the like