Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
How would people feel about rebellious armies - Roman style? You could end up fighting your best generals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'd like to start with just having a family tree that let's me know if i have more heirs

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Ming also had that weird thing where the Emperor’s could just…not do his job. So the…Wanle Emperor, I want to say, went on strike and just refused to do anything, which ground the bureaucracy to a crawl.

An early adopter of lie flat culture.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Isn't ming basically scripted to implode? I'm up to 1560 and it just seems to be as strong as ever..which is really worrisome when I've taken Palembang as a pirate republic into a great power, making me get rivalled by Ming..

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Iymarra posted:

Isn't ming basically scripted to implode? I'm up to 1560 and it just seems to be as strong as ever..which is really worrisome when I've taken Palembang as a pirate republic into a great power, making me get rivalled by Ming..

Ever since they removed the mandate loss from neighboring non-tributary nations Ming has been rock solid most games.

It's still a paper tiger though and trapping their armies somewhere they have to take a long route or stuck on an island works fine.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I've seen Ming fall apart in about half my games so far, even in times when they've passed all of their mandates (with and without my assistance). The mandate is an albatross for the AI and basically guarantees that whoever holds it will get wrecked - unless it's the player, in which case it's a total non-issue. Honestly, all of China just doesn't work given EUIV's game mechanics and philosophy and making Ming non-player only would honestly just be an improvement since it's clear that there will never be a change to how Ming works for the same reason we'll never see a change that models the New World collapse in the wake of European arrival.

edit: out of about ten games since the last expansion I've actually seen Qing form twice somehow. But they never take any of Southern China and are usually trash tier because of how bad the mandate is for the AI.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm having a weird game with an incredibly weak ottomans and a ming currently getting clowned on by its neighbors.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ithle01 posted:

I've seen Ming fall apart in about half my games so far, even in times when they've passed all of their mandates (with and without my assistance). The mandate is an albatross for the AI and basically guarantees that whoever holds it will get wrecked - unless it's the player, in which case it's a total non-issue. Honestly, all of China just doesn't work given EUIV's game mechanics and philosophy and making Ming non-player only would honestly just be an improvement since it's clear that there will never be a change to how Ming works for the same reason we'll never see a change that models the New World collapse in the wake of European arrival.

edit: out of about ten games since the last expansion I've actually seen Qing form twice somehow. But they never take any of Southern China and are usually trash tier because of how bad the mandate is for the AI.

Ming and indigenous americans both being NPC on release would be fine by me but would prolly piss a lot of people off. Let them play by their own rules, and maybe add them later if they can think of some actually good mechanics.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ming and indigenous americans both being NPC on release would be fine by me but would prolly piss a lot of people off. Let them play by their own rules, and maybe add them later if they can think of some actually good mechanics.

If I remember the forum posts correctly this is the approach the Vicky 3 devs are taking with unrecognized nations and it feels like a good one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really like the suggestion someone posted that Ming should be some sort of HRE equivalent or something so China's dev could be modeled accurately but it would be an unstable behemoth that is too busy fixing its own problems to do much out in the world.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

If I remember the forum posts correctly this is the approach the Vicky 3 devs are taking with unrecognized nations and it feels like a good one.

you'll be able to play as most unrecognized nations. they are leaving a few places unplayable that were effectively stateless though because they want to take a bit to work on systems for that

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's "unrecognized" like Persia, China, and Ethiopia and "stateless" (or similar) for things like most africans, the remaining native americans, etc. The former is playable, and identical to regular nations except they have to fight for europeans to recognize them as people.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I felt like giving Castile a spin, convert Iberia to buddhism, the usual stuff, and things went great. Until I formed Spain. Then I just sort of got bored and my interest fizzled out. Weird. I think partially it's because Spain's ideas are just so much duller than Castile's. I'm sure they're more powerful but they're really dull. One that is just a copy of an exploration idea, one that is utterly useless if you're not catholic, one that is so poorly phrased I had to look it up on the wiki to understand after reading it several times and one that is completely pointless with an extra diplo policy? How often does anyone ever need or is even able to use a fourth diplo policy?

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
There's a Steam sale on all EU4 stuff, excepting Leviathan, that ends July 8th. Personally I'm still missing a few expansions and I think it boils down to a choice between Cradle of Civilization or Mandate of Heaven. Can you guys recommend one over the other?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

There's a Steam sale on all EU4 stuff, excepting Leviathan, that ends July 8th. Personally I'm still missing a few expansions and I think it boils down to a choice between Cradle of Civilization or Mandate of Heaven. Can you guys recommend one over the other?

Mandate has the diplomatic macrobuilder and ages. Plus the Manchu/Japan content is pretty fun. I'd take it over Cradle unless you really want to play Egypt/Persia.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Mandate of Heaven, definitely, if only for the diplomacy macro builder.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Poil posted:

I felt like giving Castile a spin, convert Iberia to buddhism, the usual stuff, and things went great. Until I formed Spain. Then I just sort of got bored and my interest fizzled out. Weird. I think partially it's because Spain's ideas are just so much duller than Castile's. I'm sure they're more powerful but they're really dull. One that is just a copy of an exploration idea, one that is utterly useless if you're not catholic, one that is so poorly phrased I had to look it up on the wiki to understand after reading it several times and one that is completely pointless with an extra diplo policy? How often does anyone ever need or is even able to use a fourth diplo policy?

I don't think it's a fourth policy, just another free one. Also not sure what you found so much more interesting about Castile's ideas? It's just a different set of passive bonuses. One is even the same as one of the ones you're complaining about.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The diplomatic macro builder is fantastic! You'll wonder how you could stand not using it before.

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't think it's a fourth policy, just another free one. Also not sure what you found so much more interesting about Castile's ideas? It's just a different set of passive bonuses. One is even the same as one of the ones you're complaining about.
It specifically says additional policy, not a free one. I think the game is usually very clear when it's a free one and when it's just another you can pay for. They're just more fun to me. Maybe they're more useful or just feel more interesting to me, I don't know? Yep, it's the same but that doesn't change that it's written so poorly even I could probably have done it better.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 29, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Thanks guys, Mandate it is. :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What the gently caress is the diplomatic macrobuilder?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's a tab in microbuilder where you select diplomatic agreements and see who'll agree. Allows for easy ally and vassal search.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Affi posted:

What the gently caress is the diplomatic macrobuilder?

It's a big list of every diplo action in the game and it tells you which countries will accept and you can click them in the list or on the map. So you can find good alliances, find out if someone wants to be vassalized, or get mass military access easily. It also lets you auto-assign diplomats to increase relatrons with neighbors/allies/threatened nations. Huge QoL increase that's ridiculous to have hidden in a DLC.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Truly saddening to hear that people play this game without diplo macro.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm saddened that it's locked behind a DLC. I didn't realize. That's insane. Don't lock QoL features behind DLC.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm saddened that it's locked behind a DLC. I didn't realize. That's insane. Don't lock QoL features behind DLC.

Isn't most DLC for this running on that idea?

E:

Mare Nostrum has naval missions, Dharma has rebellion suppression, Art of War has saving army compositions...

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 30, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Changing exploration with the naval missions was another great improvement.

Which dlc added the scornful insults? Those are pretty fun. Your ships manage to round the Cape and discover new lands. Quickly an envoy is dispatched and soon the people on very foreign shores will find a strange ship with weird looking people docking and stomping up to the local palace and through gestures and drawings manage to convey a most unflattering message to their ruler, much to the amusement of their neighboring kingdoms who talk about it for years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just checked and none of the sub-saharan African nations have custom missions, despite many having their own unique ideas and cheevos.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just checked and none of the sub-saharan African nations have custom missions, despite many having their own unique ideas and cheevos.
"Nobody on the team is much interested in sub-saharan Africa :shrug:"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I always liked this panel that some reporters made with paradox devs about africa. It's from EU3 times but still current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwom49awRKg

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

"Nobody on the team is much interested in sub-saharan Africa :shrug:"

You'd figure the nations that got achievements would be natural choices for custom missions, but what do I know.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think the most egregious of all these is that you can't build in your vassals' land without Rights of Man

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MonsieurChoc posted:

You'd figure the nations that got achievements would be natural choices for custom missions, but what do I know.
Yeah you'd think lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the achievement is the mission tree

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21757/Tiger_Tank_59__Air_Strike_DLC_Collect/

I don't know what this is, but Paradox has got nothing on their DLC scheme.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got Mary of Lotharingia cheevo thanks to a Queen Regency.

Neat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mali and friends should really start with feudalism just sayin

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mali and friends should really start with feudalism just sayin
Yeah I can understand the Congo basin not having Feudalism but the Mali area really should.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I ask the council of Good and Experienced Players for help with Bregenz, a one province minor in the HRE. It's right next to Austria. How the hell would this one get off the ground? There's a bunch of other one province minors nearby, but also switzerland and some free cities. Declaring on the free cities (rivals) leads to Austria or Switzerland jumping in.

Second question : are there any really really really recommended small (one province or so) nations that can balloon power tremendously easily/quickly, either building tall or wide?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Iymarra posted:

I ask the council of Good and Experienced Players for help with Bregenz, a one province minor in the HRE. It's right next to Austria. How the hell would this one get off the ground? There's a bunch of other one province minors nearby, but also switzerland and some free cities. Declaring on the free cities (rivals) leads to Austria or Switzerland jumping in.

Second question : are there any really really really recommended small (one province or so) nations that can balloon power tremendously easily/quickly, either building tall or wide?

I can't help with Bregenz, but I've had a lot of fun playing as Hamburg, Dithmarschen, and Utrecht

feller fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Iymarra posted:

ryukyu