Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
1997 was also peak Glasgow music scene year with Belle and Sebastian, Mogwai, Arab Strap, and The Delgados.

And smoking was still socially acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was wondering about Space Jam but that was December 1996, so close.

Daria also first aired in 1997.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's something distinctly sickening about The Scum putting Raheem Sterling on their front page, considering the amount of racism they've directed towards him in the past.

I was at the pub for drinks last week, and waking up the next day, slightly hungover and smelling of cigarette smoke (because we were outside) reminded me of the late 90s and early '00s in a bad way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

There's something distinctly sickening about The Scum putting Raheem Sterling on their front page, considering the amount of racism they've directed towards him in the past.

I thought that was a bit funny too.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wish I'd gotten into music.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The really warped bit is that the only other paper to give Sterling the main front-page picture was the Financial Times.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fack me that picture of George makes him look like a warped little miniGove.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Josef bugman posted:

Never too late, friend.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm enjoying how all those front pages conveniently ignore the fact that England were absolute shite for 70 minutes

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm enjoying how all those front pages conveniently ignore the fact that England were absolute shite for 70 minutes

No-one likes a wet blanket.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Josef bugman posted:

https://youtu.be/2hU3Sc6p0ms

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

jiggerypokery posted:

Never too late, friend.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Julio Cruz posted:

Irrelevant

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Don't think that was intentional strategy? When you're running around for ninety minutes in fairly hot weather, pacing yourself is pretty key. I did wonder if England was able to score two goals so fast for the simple reason that the Germans no longer had enough energy to stop them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
They definitely weren’t shite. There were some decent chances. First 15 were really boring but they picked up pretty quick, and I was feeling pretty good after the first half. I feel like it’s a bit of a ‘only watches football at NTs’ thing to say teams were shite til they started scoring.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Don't think that was intentional strategy? When you're running around for ninety minutes in fairly hot weather, pacing yourself is pretty key. I did wonder if England was able to score two goals so fast for the simple reason that the Germans no longer had enough energy to stop them.

lol

no I don't think that England being loving useless was actually some 9-dimensional chess on their part so they didn't get too tired running around in the extreme temperature of *checks notes* 18 degrees C

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah I thought we were on it for the first half.

First half hour of the second half was pretty boring though tbh.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

higher state of consciousness came out in 95 and that was it for me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

lol

no I don't think that England being loving useless was actually some 9-dimensional chess on their part so they didn't get too tired running around in the extreme temperature of *checks notes* 18 degrees C

if you think this was england being "loving useless" I can only assume you're under ten years old

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

They definitely weren’t shite. There were some decent chances. First 15 were really boring but they picked up pretty quick, and I was feeling pretty good after the first half. I feel like it’s a bit of a ‘only watches football at NTs’ thing to say teams were shite til they started scoring.

Jel Shaker posted:

drinking game - take a drink every time england pass forward

Jakabite posted:

I’m staying sober for a while and even I can participate in this one

lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

if you think this was england being "loving useless" I can only assume you're under ten years old

the fact that they've been worse before does not in fact mean that they're good right now

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The real masochist's match was sweden v ukraine afterwards, where the players started brutally injuring each other in extra time until they could all barely stand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

The real masochist's match was sweden v ukraine afterwards, where the players started brutally injuring each other in extra time until they could all barely stand.

I dunno if they replaced football with shin kicking I think england would do better and also it would be funnier.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

lol

a win is a win you loving donkey

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno if they replaced football with shin kicking I think england would do better and also it would be funnier.

England is playing Ukraine next, so you might get to see it.

And yeah I do agree England played markedly better than Germany, though Germany was really bad this time around in general.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm glad that the "um actually England were bad so you're all idiots???" crowd is infesting UKMT as well.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I knew it's going back a few pages but the Baddiel chat reminded me of the short lived sitcom he wrote "Baddiel's Syndrome" for Sky One which was godawful poo poo, some of the worst comedy I'd ever seen up to that point.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Couldnay even beat Scotland pal

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

2 wars 1 cup

strong britane England great nation

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

I recommend it. Music is dope. Even if it does turn me into the bore who will go on for hours about how black metal is surf rock with blast beats & effects pedals and that is why it is dope, or why At The Drive-In should've been the most important band of the 2000s but instead it was I dunno, The Killers or Coldplay or something equally grey

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

Baddiel's Syndrome
Isn't this just called brain worms now?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Private Speech posted:

2 wars 1 cup

stong britane England great nation

Ftfy

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm no football fan but you can't be that shite and still manage to beat Germany, one of the tournament favourites, 2-0, and keep a clean sheet the whole tournament.

gently caress, I've been in this country too long. I have opinions about bloody football now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EvilHawk posted:

I'm glad that the "um actually England were bad so you're all idiots???" crowd is infesting UKMT as well.

This but unironically.

I for one welcome the "England were always bad" brigade

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I mean at least you're consistent in having a literal child's interpretation of football to go with every other subject you've ever posted about.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's impressive how much of the people claiming England played well weren't in TRP yesterday

because, uh, that was not what the people who actually watch a lot of football were saying

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Bat Out of Hell II- Back into Hell. I was a teen and got a tape for my birthday even though I had no interest in music. Turns out I quite like fat middle aged men singing about their horny teenage years.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
England had one shot on target in the first half but no guys I swear they were actually playing really well honest

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

therattle posted:

I'm no football fan but you can't be that shite and still manage to beat Germany, one of the tournament favourites, 2-0, and keep a clean sheet the whole tournament.

gently caress, I've been in this country too long. I have opinions about bloody football now.

Germany really hadn't been favourites this time around, they've managed to lose to North Macedonia in the qualifiers. Then again they did beat Portugal who aren't doing badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Julio Cruz posted:

it's impressive how much of the people claiming England played well weren't in TRP yesterday

because, uh, that was not what the people who actually watch a lot of football were saying

You don't have to post in TRP to watch a lot of football.

It's cool though you carry on being weird.