Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

it's impressive how much of the people claiming England played well weren't in TRP yesterday

because, uh, that was not what the people who actually watch a lot of football were saying

Hi, football fan for 40 years and actual season ticket holder telling you that you have no loving clue what you're talking about.

Also loving lol at using *any* internet forum as your appeal to authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Miftan posted:

Probably one of those things where if you weren't raised with it, it doesn't appeal to you. Imagine someone describing Haggis or Black Pudding to you if you didn't grow up with them? Chocolate + orange is just a bad combo and jaffa cakes are also bad.

Sainsbury's had a really nice chai masala flavoured lassi for a while, but they've now replaced it with a chocolate orange version.

However you feel about chocolate and orange I think we can all agree that chocolate orange yogurt drink is utterly disgusting.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
England were absolute crap for about 70mins tho, forums or no forums

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I don't watch a lot of football but my friends & partner are mad for it & they're all saying pretty much the same thing as Jakabite :shrug:

& whilst we're on this, something that's been bugging me itt: I can totally get being pissed off about a vocal minority of England fans being cunts, disliking the concept of England as a whole, and just not being into football. I am all of those things. What I don't get is how that translates into relentlessly making GBS threads on something that a whole bunch of other people, most of whom are not cunts, are enjoying. At that point, you're just Being A Dick.

People are having fun watching the football, personally I like to join in because fun is fun but nobody's making you, so just... let people have fun?

e: just for the record this isn't at anyone in particular, just a general sense I'm getting, so I might be shouting at clouds here

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 30, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know nothing about football but they seemed to be doing well in the first half then lost their momentum entirely until all the goal scoring happened.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

jiggerypokery posted:

Never too late, friend.

Don't really think I want to be the sad old guy dancing at a club, but I take your meaning.

But it's also not wanting to like something that everyone likes and get derided either for being pedestrian if you do like it, or a snob if you don't.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 30, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Don't overthink liking music, just go with what makes your hair stand on end and gently caress everyone elses opinions.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I don't like England but I like the football so every two years I let myself have a little nationalism, as a treat.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

woah it's almost like that post was from before the game we're talking about or something

e: also hugely enjoyed 'well well well well YOU weren't posting in the SOMETHING AWFUL FOOTBALL FORUM so what do you know????'

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 30, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Josef bugman posted:

Don't really think I want to be the sad old guy dancing at a club, but I take your meaning.

At a good gig, everyone is having too good a time to consider whether anyone looks silly. Last Orbital gig I went to (two years ago) I was dead centre in the front row. I had a guy about 30 on my right, and on my left a 14 year old girl at her first gig whose dad had asked me if I could make sure she didn't get squashed because he wanted to be further back. They were giving me poo poo because I wasn't dancing.

E: here's the gig I went to on the 2018 tour, so you can see the front row and how little anyone gives a gently caress.

https://youtu.be/xkQgXZxJ3PI

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 30, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its their job to score goals and they only got two of them loving pathetic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Don't overthink liking music, just go with what makes your hair stand on end and gently caress everyone elses opinions.

If I could get the bolded part in a can that'd be great, but true.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

If I could get the bolded part in a can that'd be great, but true.

do you have any individual songs you like - or moments in movies or TV where you'd enjoyed the music?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Josef bugman posted:

If I could get the bolded part in a can that'd be great
You totally can, you'll find it in any off licence

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Borrovan posted:

You totally can, you'll find it in any off licence

True, but more like a long term treatment that doesn't give me liver failure.

Necrothatcher posted:

do you have any individual songs you like - or moments in movies or TV where you'd enjoyed the music?

I quite liked Moddi, Our Worker and House by the Sea are beautiful. But I don't know, everything needs to have a reason behind it so I apply that to music and it sometimes seems like I'm "killing the frog" when I look at them as it were.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I like when England lose the football because then people don’t talk about football as much :colbert:

Josef bugman posted:

I wish I'd gotten into music.
If you have even a few artists or genres you know you like then Spotify’s algorithm is really excellent at finding new things you’ll like IMO. The vast majority of what I listen to now is stuff I’ve stumbled across from Spotify’s recommendations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Borrovan posted:

& whilst we're on this, something that's been bugging me itt: I can totally get being pissed off about a vocal minority of England fans being cunts, disliking the concept of England as a whole, and just not being into football. I am all of those things. What I don't get is how that translates into relentlessly making GBS threads on something that a whole bunch of other people, most of whom are not cunts, are enjoying. At that point, you're just Being A Dick.

People are having fun watching the football, personally I like to join in because fun is fun but nobody's making you, so just... let people have fun?

lol no because those of us in the other nations that have to watch british tv can't loving stand the state of it when england win anything

the england football players aren't as bad as they used to be but i will continue to wish them ill and poo poo on them profusely tyvm

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

woah it's almost like that post was from before the game we're talking about or something

e: also hugely enjoyed 'well well well well YOU weren't posting in the SOMETHING AWFUL FOOTBALL FORUM so what do you know????'

personally I hugely enjoyed “only people who don’t watch football think England were poo poo” when I could find you a couple of dozen posts from during the game which pretty clearly disproves that point

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

When life returns to normal I really want to go see the Sleaford Mods, but in a venue with comfy seats and a sound desk willing to make reasonable adjustments for my delicate disposition (thinking of seeing New Order years back where people were rushing the booth pleading for them to turn it down cos it was literally doing harm and spoiling the show and being told to gently caress off)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

You have it backwards — the sad ones at clubs are the young lads only there to try to look cool and hit on girls. The old guys dancing away by themselves are the true legends.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Julio Cruz posted:

it's impressive how much of the people claiming England played well weren't in TRP yesterday

because, uh, that was not what the people who actually watch a lot of football were saying

This is embarrassing as hell. What a thing to post.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I want to go once again to a gig where they have to hand out earplugs and I get drenched in cheap lager

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Football is poo poo, always has been and always will be.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Football has some big issues but I am dead against criticising it for its own sake. Very snobby thing to do. If someone comes up and tells me they're in to choral performance I feign interest and I expect the same courtesy

As a Scot living in London that means I have to suck up regular bouts of stuff coming home, satiating myself by going on the windup when it inevitably doesn't. It's easier at the moment because the England team seems to be mainly composed of nice lads that mean well.

However I think what a lot of England fans and the BBC simply don't get is that in football terms they are Germany to us. No-one expects England to be happy when Germany wins the World Cup but I am regularly challenged on why I wont back England to win major tournaments.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

I quite liked Moddi, Our Worker and House by the Sea are beautiful. But I don't know, everything needs to have a reason behind it so I apply that to music and it sometimes seems like I'm "killing the frog" when I look at them as it were.

thanks for introducing me to Moddi - I hadn't actually heard of him before and it's great.

I'd check out Glaswegian band Belle & Sebastian, which seems in the same vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2OcymYkkqI

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Josef bugman posted:

everything needs to have a reason behind it

I am also like that (despite my better judgement) and the musical answer for me is opera, because the story helps give the music purpose. (I'm not sure why this works when I find it difficult to watch films, but think it's probably because opera has fewer lingering closeups.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Borrovan posted:

I don't watch a lot of football but my friends & partner are mad for it & they're all saying pretty much the same thing as Jakabite :shrug:

e: just for the record this isn't at anyone in particular, just a general sense I'm getting, so I might be shouting at clouds here

It's because England fans are absolutely loving obnoxious cunts who at the first sign of a goal start repeating that it's coming home, TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD CUP, & as a not English person the thought of actually experiencing them winning something makes me want to die. Actually, that's unfair on my part. The fans are easily ignored because I don't live among them. But as a British person who isn't English & likes to watch football games, I get quite resentful when during Ukraine vs Botswana the commentators have to talk about how Harry Kane is feeling before England's game against Mars & Glen Hoddle being a completely vacuous prick, possibly the single most annoying man in all television history, & even when they aren't talking about the England team they are finding tenuously links to THE GREATEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD™ & god shut the gently caress up & just talk about the game. In short, as with 90% of things, the problem is the media forget that Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales also get their TV feed, in fact pay for the privilege, & act like we're all behind England & it's incredibly tedious. It's been 55 years since they won the World Cup & they still go on about it. Congrats, you've won fewer World Cups than Uruguay, can you loving wheesht yet?

That Three Lions song doesn't help either.

It also doesn't help that Scotland are loving guff so really all I'm left with is schadenfreude & kidding on that I've a granny from every country in the world that lets me kid on I've a reason for wanting to see England lose for reasons other than the same reasons I want to see Caley lose but with added media obnoxiousness

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

But it's also not wanting to like something that everyone likes and get derided either for being pedestrian if you do like it, or a snob if you don't.

Scenes that were popular in the 90s/early 00s seem to be largely made up of the same people who liked it then, so everyone is the sad old person dancing at the club and none of them stand out. Pre-covid, there was barely anyone under 30 at some of the goth or metal scene events I went to and people there well into their 50s. Different if you went to events where they're actually aimed at young people and hit whatever type of music was on trend though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

forkboy84 posted:

It's because England fans are absolutely loving obnoxious cunts who at the first sign of a goal start repeating that it's coming home, TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD CUP, & as a not English person the thought of actually experiencing them winning something makes me want to die. Actually, that's unfair on my part. The fans are easily ignored because I don't live among them. But as a British person who isn't English & likes to watch football games, I get quite resentful when during Ukraine vs Botswana the commentators have to talk about how Harry Kane is feeling before England's game against Mars & Glen Hoddle being a completely vacuous prick, possibly the single most annoying man in all television history, & even when they aren't talking about the England team they are finding tenuously links to THE GREATEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD™ & god shut the gently caress up & just talk about the game. In short, as with 90% of things, the problem is the media forget that Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales also get their TV feed, in fact pay for the privilege, & act like we're all behind England & it's incredibly tedious. It's been 55 years since they won the World Cup & they still go on about it. Congrats, you've won fewer World Cups than Uruguay, can you loving wheesht yet?

It also doesn't help that Scotland are loving guff so really all I'm left with is schadenfreude & kidding on that I've a granny from every country in the world that lets me kid on I've a reason for wanting to see England lose for reasons other than the same reasons I want to see Caley lose but with added media obnoxiousness

I heartily agree with large parts of this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Josef bugman posted:

I wish I'd gotten into music.

I never do honestly, seems like a real bother and time waster. I am actually quite glad every time I remember I never spend any money on music or sports.

e:
not like I don't listen to music, I don't have that thing wher eyou can't appreciate rythm and music (a real syndrome), I just never spend any money or time on it, I just turn on the radio. I just never got people that would spend hours listening to CDs, like a lot of my friends did when I was a kid. I've never cared enough about a band to spend money on CDs, or going to their concerts or other merchandise. I saved my money for videogames and 3D accelerator hardware as a kid.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 30, 2021

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Josef bugman posted:

True, but more like a long term treatment that doesn't give me liver failure.

You're selling yourself short again, Josef.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

forkboy84 posted:

its coming home

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Josef bugman posted:

Josef bugman, give Phoebe Bridgers a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Eq76ChX5U&t=69s

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Whorelord posted:

its coming home

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Danger - Octopus! posted:

at some of the goth or metal scene events I went to and people there well into their 50s.

it saddens me that you don't see proper old grannies anymore who were so common when i was wee. it was like when a woman of that generation hit a certain age there was a rite of passage after which she went around in those little fleecey booties that zipped up the front and wore headscarves and trundled around a big tartan shopping trolley and also a gigantic handbag from which she could produce anything from sticking plasters to those screwdrivers with 3 different heads that looked a bit like a ninja-type throwing weapon to jump leads

also old men who shuffled about in suits and trainers

crispix fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 30, 2021

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Football has been staying with her parents until I sort my anger issues, but I’m going to show up drunk at 3 in the morning and demand that she come home

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Foteball is icumen hoom
Lhude sing cuccu

Borrovan posted:

Some of the actual real fash keep wishing England to lose because of taking the knee and the stadium being lit up in rainbows for pride month and black player and so on, so if nothing else people can be happy that those cunts are mardy.

Josef bugman posted:

everything needs to have a reason behind it
France's most famous goalie would disagree.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Failed Imagineer posted:

England were absolute crap for about 70mins tho, forums or no forums

Because they tried the novel system of "voluntarily playing with only 10 men plus Kane".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

. I just never got people that would spend hours listening to CDs, like a lot of my friends did when I was a kid. I've never cared enough about a band to spend money on CDs, or going to their concerts or other merchandise. I saved my money for videogames and 3D accelerator hardware as a kid.

I mean, unless I'm really vibeing out to an album, or actively figuring out drum or guitar parts, I'm usually using music to complete something else I'm doing - work, socialising, a nice walk, doing some DIY, reading a book, etc.

Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks is a good book for some discussion on the ubiquity of music in our lives from the perspective of a neurologist and music-lover, and looks at a lot of weird disorders related to music. Probably just as interesting to a reader with the outsider perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lungboy posted:

Because they tried the novel system of "voluntarily playing with only 10 men plus Kane".

I'd watch the Brotherhood of Nod team