Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is there a consensus on what box set is the best to get? I keep looking at various ones and I’m never sure if they contain all three seasons and FWWM. Some seem to miss FWWM, or season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPcLOtbG3s

Its a drat shame this scene didn't make it in the final cut. It ranks right up there with Wally Brando, the Milk Butler and the Butter and Brie Sandwich in terms of anti-comedy gold.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is there a consensus on what box set is the best to get? I keep looking at various ones and I’m never sure if they contain all three seasons and FWWM. Some seem to miss FWWM, or season 3.

From Z to A has everything

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I just wanted to point out how much I love your avatar.

haha thanks!! watched Utena online with a couple goons last year and knew I needed to have it as an av

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

eSporks posted:

Is this something other than whats on the DVD? Because my DVD with missing pieces is just a selection of deleted scenes in no particular order with not a lot of continuity its not anything I would call a full-length feature. Its really good though, especially for the educational vignette on 2 by fours.

I recommend checking out the "Q2 fan edit" of Fire Walk With Me which has all The Missing Pieces footage edited in following the shooting script and is 3.5 hours long.

It's not better than the actual original movie, but it's quite enjoyable and I think the addition of all those lighter/more humorous moments makes the whole thing feel more consistent with the tone of the show.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

From Z to A has everything

Thanks, but that looks like it’s $350. I’ll just buy everything individually if that’s the only option.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha drat I’m gonna assume it’s sold out and that’s a reseller because jesus christ

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea it’s all used, eBay, etc. just annoying because there are so many variations of box sets.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wow, I feel lucky I found mine at a closing dimple for under $20.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah it looks like The Television Collection is the way to go, and then you're stuck paying $25 for the drat Criterion edition of FWWM. :rolleyes:

You used to be able to get The Entire Mystery (everything except Season 3) for like $30 for the international version, but that's up to $45 now so it's not the cheapest way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

With all these releases, it's getting as bad as the Evil Dead series, especially if they do another season.

I wonder how involved Lynch was on the complete set that came with a Laura Palmer figurine?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Fair warning about the T.V. set, someone in CineD brought this to our attention:

Franchescanado posted:

For anyone eyeing it, just a heads up, I ordered the Twin Peaks Television Collection from Amazon a while ago when it went on sale.

It did not look like this:

It looks like this:

Which is fine, but just so you know, it's a misleading picture. (Mine did not come with a slipcase, which is what the picture shows.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s very lame. I assume that’s the second printing, as the releases of season 3 over here had the same thing - first printing was great and fancy, second was far more basic.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That looks downright bootleg.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

eSporks posted:

That looks downright bootleg.

lol 100%

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Missing the slipcover isn't such a huge deal, really. Other than that, it's the same packaging it's always had.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's standard packaging for a lot of big CBS tv releases lately. Twilight Zone and TNG come the same way.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Origami Dali posted:

That's standard packaging for a lot of big CBS tv releases lately. Twilight Zone and TNG come the same way.

If you order the UK version of TNG (which is region-free), it comes in a nice box, but once you pull the set out, it's that case. But the box really is nice!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean personally that wouldn't stop me from buying it I just wanted to make sure people were at least aware of it, seeing as how they're still using the original packaging as the image on the listing.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Guess I'm wrong. The quality of the slip in label just looks cheesy, and I'm a little surprised the discs are that are bland with no branding, but if that's normal, I guess it's normal.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

wa27 posted:

Yeah it looks like The Television Collection is the way to go, and then you're stuck paying $25 for the drat Criterion edition of FWWM. :rolleyes:

You used to be able to get The Entire Mystery (everything except Season 3) for like $30 for the international version, but that's up to $45 now so it's not the cheapest way.

The Entire Mystery at least has FWWM and The Missing Pieces. I’d recommend that and the S3 box set with the MultiCoop cover. If only because I think the packaging on that release is really good.

It’s not the cheapest option, but probably the most simple and easy to get, while still looking pretty nice and comprehensive enough without paying for the Z to A set which has become quite expensive.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The Entire Mystery at least has FWWM and The Missing Pieces. I’d recommend that and the S3 box set with the MultiCoop cover. If only because I think the packaging on that release is really good.

It’s not the cheapest option, but probably the most simple and easy to get, while still looking pretty nice and comprehensive enough without paying for the Z to A set which has become quite expensive.

I have this combo too and highly recommend it

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

This is what I have but I don't really think it's the best way right now. Both options work out to $80 for everything (if you get the international version, or $5 more if you get the US version from Amazon), but The Entire Mystery has the same packaging as The Television Collection so that's no different. At that point I'd take the Criterion edition of the movie over the box set version. Yeah the packaging for Season 3 standalone is nice, but I think someone had said that even that is now just coming in a more generic packaging(?)

Getting the TV collection plus FWWM is pretty simple on Amazon.

edit: at the end of the day it's not much different in terms of content, so do whatever, really. And I don't know how prices vary outside of Amazon.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 28, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m in the UK so I don’t know if it’s different in America, but yeah, over here the first pressing of season 3 was the really pretty zig-zag slipcase version and the second was a more generic case.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zat posted:

I recommend checking out the "Q2 fan edit" of Fire Walk With Me which has all The Missing Pieces footage edited in following the shooting script and is 3.5 hours long.

It's not better than the actual original movie, but it's quite enjoyable and I think the addition of all those lighter/more humorous moments makes the whole thing feel more consistent with the tone of the show.

Seconding this. It's kinda become the definitive edition of FWWM for me.

It's been a while since I watched it but I recall it feeling fairly seamless.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

wa27 posted:

Getting the TV collection plus FWWM is pretty simple on Amazon.

edit: at the end of the day it's not much different in terms of content, so do whatever, really. And I don't know how prices vary outside of Amazon.

This is what I did. Even finding The Complete Mystery sets was tough, I would’ve had to get an import off Amazon and that seemed a little sketchy for me. Now I just have to wait 1-4 weeks for Amazon to deliver it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I have a historical question about the original run of the show. Was the show actually cancelled before or after completing season 2? Was a third season ever in the cards at that time?

Edit: I’m listening to the season 2 soundtrack for the first time. Why did I never do this before? It’s definitely much more cohesive as an album than the iconic season 1 soundtrack, and it’s got some gorgeous pieces on here. Don’t be like me, people.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 30, 2021

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't think a third season was in the cards at any point during the original run, as the ratings tanked in season two after the resolution of the Who Killed Laura Palmer storyline (add in the complication that ABC kept moving its day and time slot, getting pre-empted due to Gulf War coverage, etc.) and at one point ABC put the show on "indefinite hiatus" and didn't even bring it back to air the final half dozen or so episodes until people started writing them letters begging for it basically.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012
The letter-writing campaign had a little bit of a push, of course:

https://youtu.be/8xppCAqXehA

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Minghawk posted:

The letter-writing campaign had a little bit of a push, of course:

https://youtu.be/8xppCAqXehA

The odd buzzing and crackling electricity in the background of that clip is oddly appropriate, in retrospect of season 3. Also, he talks about Ronnie Rocket in that interview! That really was probably the great Lynch masterpiece that never got made. From what I understand, he actually repurposed some of the ideas he had for that project (concerning the more mystical and powerful aspects of electricity and 60-cycle alternating current electricity) for aspects of Season 3 - like Cooper traveling out of the weird realm via an AC (AC for Agent Cooper! Not DC like Doppleganger Cooper) outlet. And probably a ton of other stuff.

And I've actually been on a bit of a kick in terms of listening to Twin Peaks music lately. So much great stuff I had forgotten about, and it's all so immediately visually evocative in terms of reminding of this scene or that episode.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i absolutely bump My Prayer as performed by The Platters while driving

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/PeaksEGA/status/1416457962894372869

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen Twin Peaks. When does the show start getting weird?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 3, including the pilot. That was an easy one.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

bowmore posted:

I haven't seen Twin Peaks. When does the show start getting weird?

There's some weird stuff right from the get-go but since it gets progressively stranger it's hard to pick a real moment.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh ok, thanks

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

although now that season 3 exists a valid answer is also "it gets weird intermittently throughout the first two seasons and then S3 immediately ramps up the baseline for weird by like 500%"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

My Lovely Horse posted:

although now that season 3 exists a valid answer is also "it gets weird intermittently throughout the first two seasons and then S3 immediately ramps up the baseline for weird by like 500%"

I’d say that ramp up actually begins at the season 2 finale, but otherwise yes.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Doing a rewatch with friends now and its 100% Episode 2 (The third ep if you include the pilot). Its got the stone throwing scene with coop and the first dream sequence, it's the episode where people where it really gets going on another level.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think the pilot is honestly pretty intensely weird in its own Lynchian way, to be honest - though the weirdness is a bit more subtle, admittedly. The European cut of the pilot is a *lot* more intensely weird, too, and parts of that ending were of course used in the dream sequence of "Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer" (also known as episode 2 or 3). So many deeply significant things were in that cut of the pilot - the "Fire Walk With Me" poem (and Bob's 'Catch you with my death bag" bit as well), Mike's story about his time killing with BOB and how they lived above the convenience story and about missing arm and the tattoos, the boiler room with the high-pitched tone, the circle of candles with the mound of dirt... And of course most significant of all, the entire "25 years later" sequence in the Red Room with Laura and the "Little Man From Another Place" as he was known at the time. It's kind of mind-boggling that ALL of that was in the very first episode.

But even the 'normal' version of the pilot is pretty damned bizarre and quirky. Stuff like the way Sarah and Leland grieved for Laura (right from the start) had always felt deeply wrong, weird, off-tone in a way I could never put my finger on - at least not until you find out many things later in seasons 2 and 3. A lot of the 'happy accident' scenes are deeply creepy to me as well, like the flickering fluorescent light in the morgue when Coop discovers the letter R under the fingernail - which is weird and eerie enough on its own, and always functioned as a pretty good mysterious hook, I thought. Just seeing Mike "the one-armed man" lurking around the hospital initially, like some random TV meme from the Fugitive with unknown motives. And of course the initial appearance of Bob hiding in Laura's room by the bed in Sarah's vision, definitely an indelible image. Or the introduction of the Roadhouse, with Julee Cruise singing tender love songs while tough-looking bikers and townies sit talking quietly about secrets.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Even in the first episode Lynch can shoot an empty house in a really unsettling way