Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

WrenP-Complete posted:

What are your favorite places in Rome??? Making. Travel plan...

Fritz the Horse posted:

I will caution that you might quickly burn out on art museums. I was in Florence for a week then Rome for a week and we went to four huge art museums. I was pretty uninterested by the third. I would definitely recommend focusing your art and historical visits on a few things that are super interesting to you.

One thing that is really cool about Rome is that most of the historic churches are also world class art galleries. You can find paintings and sculptures by a bunch of really famous artists scattered around the churches of the city. For example, the Basillica San Pietro in Vincoli has a massive sculpture of Atlas made by Michelangelo for the tomb of a pope:

The major Basilicas (and a bunch of other churches too) are all lined with artistic treasures in all the knaves and chapels. If you want to see art, don't just look at the museums, the churches have a lot of it. Hitting the churches instead of museum after museum might help alleviate the art burnout Fritz described, since they are inside architectural marvels, and in much smaller locations (with the exception of Saint Peters, which is massive). Also, tip about Saint Peter's, you can skip the line to get in there if you leave the Sistine Chapel (which you get into from the Vatican Museum) with a tour group. A tour of the Vatican Museum is well worth it, since there the place is huge and you will never get through it all unless you devote two whole days to it. One thing you don't want to miss there is the Borgia apartments, which the tour I was on bizarrely skipped, but that's the coolest part of the museum. If you don't have a tour, you can just attach yourself to the back of a tour leaving the Sistine Chapel and follow them into Saint Peters.

Also in terms of historical sites, one place to make sure you hit that is often overlooked is palatine hill. It's the site of the Roman imperial palace, so its pretty odd that it gets ignored, but its right next to the Forum and the Coliseum, so it gets forgotten between the two of those. Also, one site you may not see mentioned in older stuff is the Mausoleum of Augustus, which only opened for tourists this year after being closed for decades. It's supposed to be super impressive, especially after the recent restoration project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Friendly reminder that Society of Friends (Quakers) welcome love in all forms. Honestly. If you find love with someone of the same gender, same sex, or any other configuration, you are welcome, and your marriage is 100% valid. Gay, straight, cis, trans, it really does not matter. Love is love, and you are welcome to (silently, unless called to share) pray with us.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

Friendly reminder that Society of Friends (Quakers) welcome love in all forms. Honestly. If you find love with someone of the same gender, same sex, or any other configuration, you are welcome, and your marriage is 100% valid. Gay, straight, cis, trans, it really does not matter. Love is love, and you are welcome to (silently, unless called to share) pray with us.

I've only ever heard very good things about the Society of Friends, from Christians and non-Christians alike. But I dunno if I've ever met one in real life or if there are any even nearby where I live in Fort Worth.

So yeah, apart from short descriptions of Meetings, I don't know much about what you believe or how you live. I have this probably totally wrong image in my head of Quakers as Amish types living an old timey rustic lifestyle. I dunno why.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WrenP-Complete posted:

Outside of Rome by Lazio you'll find Tivoli, which was kind of the leisure area of Papal Rome. You can still see the magnificient homes of Cardinals and Popes today, one of which is a UNESCO world heritage site. I've never been, but my Italian acquaintance who's an art historian from Rome's university maintains that it's the most beautiful place in Italy.

E: and they're unearthing a huge rear end temple to Hercules now!

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 16, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nessus posted:

I got a lower regdate than Lutha, and I say you can hang out.

e: to be clear expressing your feelings is completely legitimate here, you don't "have" to do anything or have some great goal to post it up about faith and its discontents

I want to emphasize both of these.

I tend to take a pretty light hand in this thread these days, mostly because you all self regulate pretty well. Maybe I should have stepped in a bit earlier, so that's on me.

There's a fine line between not tolerating drive by bullshit in the religion thread and gatekeeping, and LM crossed it here.

I don't have any kind of over-arching guidance other than to say that of all places in the forums, this is probably the best one to assume the best of posters and assume that people who have questions are being genuine in posing them. If someone causes a problem, if they're being contrarian for the sake of stirring the pot to troll, or being dismissive, or generally doing any of the other things that caused problems in the past then shoot me a PM with your concerns. Heck, bring them up openly in this thread. Discussing that publicly isn't a bad thing either.

I'm going to PM military cervix to make it clear that they're welcome here if they choose to come back.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

WrenP-Complete posted:

Understand that you can never see everything in Rome. Pick a couple highlights but don't pack your schedule.

If you go into St. Peter's, there are huge sections in the transepts that are silent and devoid of tourists. Ask the security if you can go "to confession" and they'll let you in. Also, the earlier you go, the smaller the crowds. In the back, there is a huge red porphyry circle where Charlemagne was crowned emperor on Christmas in 800.

I like sitting in the cafes away from the touristy areas and just drinking in the atmosphere of the city. The Janiculum is great for that: lots of gardens and statues up on a ridge so you can see everything.

I haven't been in the historical synagogue, but it's by the the Isle of the Tiber (it's the thrill of the fight).

I've led a couple tours in Rome, so if you want more ideas let me know.

Mazeltov by the way.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Worthleast posted:

Understand that you can never see everything in Rome. Pick a couple highlights but don't pack your schedule.

If you go into St. Peter's, there are huge sections in the transepts that are silent and devoid of tourists. Ask the security if you can go "to confession" and they'll let you in. Also, the earlier you go, the smaller the crowds. In the back, there is a huge red porphyry circle where Charlemagne was crowned emperor on Christmas in 800.

I like sitting in the cafes away from the touristy areas and just drinking in the atmosphere of the city. The Janiculum is great for that: lots of gardens and statues up on a ridge so you can see everything.

I haven't been in the historical synagogue, but it's by the the Isle of the Tiber (it's the thrill of the fight).

I've led a couple tours in Rome, so if you want more ideas let me know.

Mazeltov by the way.

So, uh, just in case I ever win the lottery and get to go to Rome, how do you arrange to go to confession if you are, like me, entirely monolingual? I'm aware that the matter of the sacrament is my sins, not actually the priest's auditory processing thereof or even my vocalization thereof, but...

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I've only ever heard very good things about the Society of Friends, from Christians and non-Christians alike. But I dunno if I've ever met one in real life or if there are any even nearby where I live in Fort Worth.

So yeah, apart from short descriptions of Meetings, I don't know much about what you believe or how you live. I have this probably totally wrong image in my head of Quakers as Amish types living an old timey rustic lifestyle. I dunno why.

Some people are called to the simple living, and feel closer to God by wearing bonnets and stuff like that. That is fine. Others come to meetings in full make-up. Which is also fine. If God wants you to dress a certain way, or give up something, God will let you know. If God calls you to worship dressed as a drag queen, who am I to question your reasons? We are all called in different ways. Do no assume that your calling, be it dress, diet, or lifestyle in general is what is meant for your fellow Friend. Maybe you feel called to work for animal rights, or ending homelessness, or gay rights, or humane prisons, or stopping wars, or volunteer to welcome refugees, or a number of other wonderful and much needed societal changes. the important thing is to listen to God, and follow your own calling. Remembering that your calling is personal, and that God have different plans for each of us stops most whataboutisms. This is why most Meeting houses have a sign saying Everyone Welcome.

The only absolute is peace, so a Quaker with a gun is an almost impossibility. I say almost because there is a story about a young nobleman who met George Fox. The young noble was worried because on one hand, he knew that Peace was the right way he truly wanted to give up violence. But on the other hand, he could not face society as an unarmed noble when unwritten rules demanded he wear a sword. George Fox told him: "Keep your sword for as long as you need it. God will tell you when it is time to cast it away!"

The other absolute is equality. Equality before God. So treat the lowest of the low as you would treat a queen, and speak to a king in the same way you would talk to a homeless person. We have no rituals as such. Instead of communion we say that you should keep an extra plate ready for an unasked guest, and treat each meal as if you are serving The Lord's supper. Treat ever day as a holy day. Live in such a way that you are a good example to others, make others want to copy your life, rather than tell them how they should live theirs.

If you want to join an online meeting, send me a PM.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Villa Borghese in Rome is a beautiful park with a great museum that has my favorite sculpture of all time in its collection.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

zonohedron posted:

So, uh, just in case I ever win the lottery and get to go to Rome, how do you arrange to go to confession if you are, like me, entirely monolingual? I'm aware that the matter of the sacrament is my sins, not actually the priest's auditory processing thereof or even my vocalization thereof, but...

When I confessed there in January 2020, the priest I went to spoke Italian, English, Spanish, Polish, and Korean. They have several multi-lingual confessors everywhere in Rome, as they expect pilgrims and tourists.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you for Rome advice. We are trying to choose whether or not we want a tour guide. We will want to skip the lines at Vatican Museum and that's one of the major appeals. My partner is a major history buff so he's a good tour guide. Howevefy I am sure to become very curious about somet hard to predict detail beforehand, like the architecture or corners in different periods. I think we have only between 48-72 hours in Rome.

Priorities include -
Jewish section of Vatican Museum
Synagogue
Where Julias Caesar was killed, which is now inhabited by a cat sanctuary.. something de Argentina.
Spanish steps
Sistine chapel
Walking backwards through Arch of Titus, as Jews do :)

I'll compile other suggestions and lists and try to divide stuff into 2 days...

Also much gratitude for the sermon assistance! I'll try to make it into an actual sermon before I speak on Friday night!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Something that I thought was really, really worth a look was the Pantheon. It's not the flashiest of buildings by Roman standards, but something about it really, really spoke to me. It's been a catholic church since something like 600 AD and before that was a Roman temple. The current building dates to the first century, and I believe that the site housed other temples before that.

The place just oozes history in a way that I honestly didn't even get from the Colosseum. I think something about it still being a living, used building (it's an active church) and having been used for the same basic purpose, even if the specific faiths have changed, for almost two thousand years.

It's not something I felt the need to spend hours and hours in, but it's stuck with me as one of the neater things I've ever seen.

edit: iirc it's also right near a lot of the other old Roman stuff, so it's not some major out of your way thing. Chances are you can work it in between other, higher priority stops.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

WrenP-Complete posted:

Spanish steps

One thing I found when I was in Rome was that the Spanish steps were super underwhelming, it really didn't feel that different then any other large set of stairs. If you have limited time, that might be something to de-prioritize unless you are dead set on seeing it.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Has anyone here been watching "The Chosen"? Good stuff, makes helping discovering Jesus easier.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
The Old Guard of the thread might remember my long and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to enter religious life. It’s been almost 6 years since my last attempt which was with a Trappist monastery. Out of nowhere today I got a call from the Vocations Director of that monastery. He was wondering where I was in my “discernment journey” and told me he would remember me in his prayers. It was nice to hear from him, he’s a kind older monk. But the call kinda made me wonder, well, why? Not why did he call but why did this happen? Is this some kind of, for want of a better term, sign that maybe I should start thinking about trying again? My health is getting better and I’m still young enough that most places would consider me. It’s like I told my sister, I won’t get excommunicated no matter how many people say no. I’m not going to try anything anytime soon, but I might start changing how I live in a way that anticipates it. Increased prayer, etc. That would be a good thing no matter what happens.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

The Old Guard of the thread might remember my long and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to enter religious life. It’s been almost 6 years since my last attempt which was with a Trappist monastery. Out of nowhere today I got a call from the Vocations Director of that monastery. He was wondering where I was in my “discernment journey” and told me he would remember me in his prayers. It was nice to hear from him, he’s a kind older monk. But the call kinda made me wonder, well, why? Not why did he call but why did this happen? Is this some kind of, for want of a better term, sign that maybe I should start thinking about trying again? My health is getting better and I’m still young enough that most places would consider me. It’s like I told my sister, I won’t get excommunicated no matter how many people say no. I’m not going to try anything anytime soon, but I might start changing how I live in a way that anticipates it. Increased prayer, etc. That would be a good thing no matter what happens.

May you find fulfilment in whatever path God has called you to, be it in a monastery or in the world. Amen.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Spiritual direction. Submit these thoughts in humble obedience to your regular confessor and you will be at peace.

Also, Trappists rule.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I'll put in a good word with the Boss for you. I hope things work out.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I just accidentally texted the f-word to my pastor because I had the wrong conversation selected in iMessage

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I just accidentally texted the f-word to my pastor because I had the wrong conversation selected in iMessage

Your pastor will forgive you, it’s in the job description.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

We had a good chuckle about it but it's still embarassing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I once lost my temper and stormed downstairs and went "For gently caress's sake Mark it's three in the loving morning will you go HOME" to my priest, who had formed an accordion-organ duo with my dad to sing a million loud Irish drinking songs forever.

To be fair I had work the next day.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I gave my sermon! It was about becoming aware of our own reactivity, calming ourselves, and taking a deeper dive into a multiplicity of truth, dialectic and non duality. My grandfather said it was an encapsulation of the values he's been trying to impart to me my entire life. Really incredible experience.

Shabbat shalom (or just shalom, if you prefer) to all...

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

I gave my sermon! It was about becoming aware of our own reactivity, calming ourselves, and taking a deeper dive into a multiplicity of truth, dialectic and non duality. My grandfather said it was an encapsulation of the values he's been trying to impart to me my entire life. Really incredible experience.

Congratulations!

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

Sounds like a pretty great experience. Glad to read it went so well, shalom :)

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Excellent, great job!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

New thread title?

Also:

WrenP-Complete posted:

Congrats! That's great.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm so glad for you! Good Sabbath!

HopperUK posted:

I once lost my temper and stormed downstairs and went "For gently caress's sake Mark it's three in the loving morning will you go HOME" to my priest, who had formed an accordion-organ duo with my dad to sing a million loud Irish drinking songs forever.

To be fair I had work the next day.

You should've joined in, that sounds loving awesome. :colbert:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Increased prayer, etc. That would be a good thing no matter what happens.

St. Benedict, St. Dominic, St. Francis, St. Ignatius of Loyola, please intercede on behalf of Thirteen Orphans. BVM, please join in our prayers. Lord, please place Thirteen Orphans wherever it is right for him (her? I can't remember!). Our Father...

Unrelated... I think the prescreeners for formation missed this guy

e:

Cyrano4747 posted:

New thread title?

Seconded.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pershing posted:

St. Benedict, St. Dominic, St. Francis, St. Ignatius of Loyola, please intercede on behalf of Thirteen Orphans. BVM, please join in our prayers. Lord, please place Thirteen Orphans wherever it is right for him (her? I can't remember!). Our Father...

Thank you for the prayers! (You and the others.)I am a him, in case you wanted to know. :)

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani!?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

This looks beautiful!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pershing posted:

This looks beautiful!

Thank you! A lot of the day is a blur but that moment is etched inside my heart.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://clickhole.com/cant-all-be-home-runs-how-many-of-jesuss-underwhelming-second-rate-miracles-do-you-remember/

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

What a great picture. Congratulations!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

:woop: Congratulations!!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Aaaaaah! Wren I'm so happy for you!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thank you! A lot of the day is a blur but that moment is etched inside my heart.

Mazel tov!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Congrats, may you have many, many happy years together!