Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Every change to Amazing Spider-Man for the last, like, two decades has been a serious monkey's paw situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Everyone was just saying they wanted more Zeb Wells because of how good Hellions is. So now he's being given the keys to the most important Marvel book there is. And he has a great team with him. It should be a lot of fun.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Yeah, if Wells is heading this, then I have enough faith to wait and see where it goes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ben last showed up doing all that screwy Nu-Jackal poo poo in Slott's run, right?

I've got some tertiary fondness for the character's oldschool version, but I'm curious how they intend to square that with... the other thing. Then again if he's going to be with the Beyond Corporation, there's a good chance he's still gonna be compromised and then it's up to the SUPERIOR SPIDER-CLONE, KAINE, TO SAVE THE DAY!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

Ben last showed up doing all that screwy Nu-Jackal poo poo in Slott's run, right?

I've got some tertiary fondness for the character's oldschool version, but I'm curious how they intend to square that with... the other thing. Then again if he's going to be with the Beyond Corporation, there's a good chance he's still gonna be compromised and then it's up to the SUPERIOR SPIDER-CLONE, KAINE, TO SAVE THE DAY!

Ben had his own book for a while where he was certifiably nuts. Did he get better from that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, he's been in Iron Man recently.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

X-O posted:

Everyone was just saying they wanted more Zeb Wells because of how good Hellions is. So now he's being given the keys to the most important Marvel book there is. And he has a great team with him. It should be a lot of fun.

I am pretty sure it's going to be bad and never ending and I'm going to hate it. Honestly I've never been able to give a poo poo about Spider-Man comics the way I used to since One More Day and this entire concept puts such a bad taste in my mouth I think maybe I'm just done with Spidey comics. I didn't read them for years already during the Slott stuff so whatever, I guess.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Let Peter fight ghost crimes with the ghost dog.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If you've convinced yourself that a comic's going to be bad four months from release because of an unrelated story arc written by different people nearly 15 years ago then I don't know what to say.

Liking superhero comics absolutely necessitates the ability to memory hole lovely stories and status quos. That's just part of the territory.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

If you've convinced yourself that a comic's going to be bad four months from release because of an unrelated story arc written by different people nearly 15 years ago then I don't know what to say.

Liking superhero comics absolutely necessitates the ability to memory hole lovely stories and status quos. That's just part of the territory.

The last 15 years of Spider-Man have been one ongoing lovely story, as far as I'm concerned. The one thing that looked like it would redeem the current run is finally getting out of it. Instead we're getting "no guys we really got the clone saga thing figured out this time. Ignore the previous 4 attempts that have all sucked." The Spider-Man they are selling is not the Spider-Man I want. And that's fine. I can just go back to not reading it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I mean there's talk of Reilly taking over as Spidey, but I'm not seeing anything with Peter's death anywhere in that. Just him 'failing'.

I wonder if Peter's 'death' is just going to be him riding off into the sunset with MJ for a bit to work out that whole One More Day thing. Kind of like the original plan for the clone saga. Maybe they'll come back with a Spider-baby in tow.

I'm willing to give Wells a chance.

Although that article reminded me Wells did that godawful Lizard story where he eats his son, so that's a bit concerning, although that was many years ago. I'm not sure why they'd bring that one out as a positive example...

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
It's time for the return of Di-Chromator.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I liked the Scarlet Spider series for the most part. Admittedly I read Spider-Man off and on so it’s hard for me to really get upset with storylines going stupid, but I don’t mind seeing Ben come back — and you know Peter isn’t staying dead so his death is about as meaningful as them announcing the death of Doctor Strange (aka it’s not important at all).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
vulpes is writing death of doctor strange so I'm fairly sure that's going to be great too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Yeah, he's been in Iron Man recently.

When, the Slott series? I skipped that because, well...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

When, the Slott series? I skipped that because, well...

No the crying nazi one

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

No the crying nazi one

When was that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

When was that?

Christopher Cantwell, current Iron Man writer and unfortunate name haver.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

*google*

oh

oh no

e: why does the Crying Nazi have the default wiki page for Christopher Cantwell and not the writer???

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 25, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot he was on Tony's team of losers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

*google*

oh

oh no

e: why does the Crying Nazi have the default wiki page for Christopher Cantwell and not the writer???

Because, sadly, he is vastly more famous.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally finished Secret Wars II. In the end it was starting to make my eyes bleed. It's as if someone said "Hey, I have a great idea for a six issue story." and an editor or someone said "Hey that's a great idea but instead of it being six issues lets make it forty two issues."

The people who did this need to be brought to justice.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember starting Secret Wars 2 when I was reading Claremont X-Men, and went "This sucks" and skipped it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Yeah I'm not excited about Peter dying, if that's a thing that actually happens, but I'm more than willing to give this a shot, especially with that team.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Roth posted:

I remember starting Secret Wars 2 when I was reading Claremont X-Men, and went "This sucks" and skipped it.

I am in the late 90s in my X-Men read through, and I end up doing this with 80% of the issues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So is Wells gonna be the like 'show-runner' and Ahmed, Thompson et al are following his lead and breaking stories that fit his direction?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

So is Wells gonna be the like 'show-runner' and Ahmed, Thompson et al are following his lead and breaking stories that fit his direction?

Based on the press release it sounds like basically that. I suspect Wells is in charge of the general direction of the story, they'll all work on what should actually happen in an individual issue, but then one of them will be the one to actually write each issue. Kinda like how tv shows will have a large writer's room with a bunch of people contributing ideas but the actual episode only has one listed writer, because they're the one to mush all those ideas into an actual shootable script. But that's just speculation on my part.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I’m looking to grab Aaron’s complete Thor run now that it’s on sale on ComiXology but it’s split off like 3 different ways and want to make sure I’m grabbing everything. Here’s the page with everything on sale. So far I think to get everything I need:
- Thor Complete Collection Vol. 1 & 2 (which covers everything up to Secret Wars)
- Thor Vol. 2-4 covers the entirety of Mighty Thor and the rest of the Thor run.
- War of the Realms and King Thor to wrap up the run?

Did I miss anything?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I’m looking to grab Aaron’s complete Thor run now that it’s on sale on ComiXology but it’s split off like 3 different ways and want to make sure I’m grabbing everything. Here’s the page with everything on sale. So far I think to get everything I need:
- Thor Complete Collection Vol. 1 & 2 (which covers everything up to Secret Wars)
- Thor Vol. 2-4 covers the entirety of Mighty Thor and the rest of the Thor run.
- War of the Realms and King Thor to wrap up the run?

Did I miss anything?

Original Sin 5.1-5.5 is a Thor and Loki story that takes place during Aaron's run that he wrote.

Edit: I didn't see it in that Jason Aaron sale you linked, but found it here, and it is on sale
https://www.comixology.com/Original...XN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 29, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You need the unworthy thor as well

I thought the war thor was a separate mini but i don't see it listed

Battleworld thors is tangentially related but it's good anyways

E: the whole thing is reminding me what a loving mess that run is title wise. Imagine trying to get someone brand new to comics into this

site fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 29, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Battleword thors is tangentially related but it's good anyways

War Thor is an arc in the Mighty Thor book.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

Battleword thors is tangentially related but it's good anyways

E: the whole thing is reminding me what a loving mess that run is title wise. Imagine trying to get someone brand new to comics into this

Thors is included in the 2nd complete volume. Yeah, this was a mess to track. The 2nd complete volume also includes the entire of the Thor Vol. 1 of the next run which is why I skipped it. My guess is they wanted a clean starting point for the Jane books but it just made things more confusing since Mighty Thor starts getting collected in Vol. 2.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
I think the scarlet spider costume with the hoodie is cool and good fight me bitch

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ilikedirt posted:

I think the scarlet spider costume with the hoodie is cool and good fight me bitch

It's a great costume. I used it in the game as much as I could.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I’m reading Miles Morales Spider-Man in MU. I was loving it when it was basically “black men learn to express vulnerability and love for each other, with some crime-fighting mixed in,” but all the big arcs have largely been…okay. We just got out of King in Black, which I wasn’t invested in, and the latest issue was just a breath before “Clone Saga,” which is probably current in day and date issues.

Anyone reading live that can tell me if it’s worth keeping up with at this point? Miles Morales is basically my comics Spider-Man, so I don’t have any existing relationship to the original clone saga (sagas?).

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Did anyone read "Captain America(s): Grounded featuring the League of Mini Caps" today? I thought it sounded kinda interesting at first (mostly because the idea of Walker traveling with Steve, Bucky, and Sam seems like a recipe for fireworks) but the kerfuffle about whether or not the Filipino Cap's name was the Tagalog equivalent of Seymour Butts made me a bit more skeptical

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Black Cat and White Fox in the annual, Vulpes? It's not even my birthday! I mean it will be in a few days, but still, today is not that day.

Edit: God bless.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 1, 2021

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Dawgstar posted:

Black Cat and White Fox in the annual, Vulpes? It's not even my birthday! I mean it will be in a few days, but still, today is not that day.

Edit: God bless.

I really liked Felicia's line about her not surviving if it becomes a slasher flick rather than a spy movie too.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I just can't believe the drat thing finally came out. I wrote it a year and a half ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I just can't believe the drat thing finally came out. I wrote it a year and a half ago.

For whatever reason my comic shop didn't get any shipments of it. Hopefully I can read it next week.

(for clarification, my comic shop ordered it, the owner just wasn't given any, was told he should get it today, but I don't have time to go until Wednesday. He's been hosed around on shipments so much I'm pretty sure he's literally counting the days until he can start ordering Marvel comics from Penguin).