Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

apples is infuriating because you get the notification, tap approve, and then also have to type in a code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

microsoft authenticator is the best general purpose authenticator app. it would be nice if they made their push auth a service available to other identity providers cause its so much better than everything else.

coincidentally tried it earlier tonight and it doesn’t let you search by name so that’s an automatic fail for me. oh well.

I’ll probably stick with authy or google authenticator because searching is absolutely vital for me

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Cold on a Cob posted:

coincidentally tried it earlier tonight and it doesn’t let you search by name so that’s an automatic fail for me. oh well.

I’ll probably stick with authy or google authenticator because searching is absolutely vital for me

I started using https://apps.apple.com/us/app/otp-auth/id659877384 because I don't trust google. I don't feel a compelling reason to switch to authy at this point.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well as long as you trust roland moers i guess

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
new york city accidentally included over a hundred thousand test votes in the preliminary rcv count they announced today. their test data is apparently modeled on polls or something and so looks plausible enough that nobody running elections noticed, except that the total number of ballots counted was about a hundred thousand higher than the total they reported on election day

the elections board had no need to report results today anyway; at best it was going to be the second in a series of unofficial and misleading partial results, because about 20% of the vote came in via absentee ballots, none of which have been counted yet because they're allowed to keep arriving / get "cured" of minor mistakes for another few days. but now they've gone and really hosed things up and fed into a growing narrative that rcv is somehow inherently confusing and illegitimate

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The Fool posted:

apples is infuriating because you get the notification, tap approve, and then also have to type in a code

also it’s really awkward having to move the window with the notification in it so I can see the text input field of the browser on the same macbook. love that second factor

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rjmccall posted:

new york city accidentally included over a hundred thousand test votes in the preliminary rcv count they announced today. their test data is apparently modeled on polls or something and so looks plausible enough that nobody running elections noticed, except that the total number of ballots counted was about a hundred thousand higher than the total they reported on election day

the elections board had no need to report results today anyway; at best it was going to be the second in a series of unofficial and misleading partial results, because about 20% of the vote came in via absentee ballots, none of which have been counted yet because they're allowed to keep arriving / get "cured" of minor mistakes for another few days. but now they've gone and really hosed things up and fed into a growing narrative that rcv is somehow inherently confusing and illegitimate

lmao seems like this isn't new
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/nyregion/nyc-voting-election-board.html

quote:

Reform seemed inevitable after the city Department of Investigation released a scathing report in 2013. Investigators found “illegalities, misconduct, and antiquated operations,” including that nearly 10 percent of employees were related to another staffer.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Poor old Genghis

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I have a relative that is/was involved with some election work, and staffing is one of the biggest issues - elections are traditionally staffed almost exclusively by retired people because that's who is available for the budget they have. Competent tech professionals are employed and can't take off a month++ or so randomly. Changing the tech takes multiple months to complete, but theyve only got a month of time.

Consulting companies (Accenture et al) cost too much.

So basically everything is staying the same.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

samsung back-end infra is a complete dumpster fire. for example, this is obv behind a reverse-proxy however they don't know about X-Forwarded-For so instead of showing your IP it shows what I'm pretty sure is the internal IP of the proxy: http://apahflfit2015.samsung.com/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I truly can not comprehend the issue there. It seems to be hilariously over complicated for no good reason only to be less trustworthy and less efficient than everywhere else.

Use paper ballots, vote on the weekend, let everyone who wants observe the count. You can get the whole thing done in an evening, it's secure and trivial to observe while being very hard to manipulate. Doesn't the US have jury duty? Use the same system for election duty until you get enough people to have a proper election.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

I truly can not comprehend the issue there. It seems to be hilariously over complicated for no good reason only to be less trustworthy and less efficient than everywhere else.

Use paper ballots, vote on the weekend, let everyone who wants observe the count. You can get the whole thing done in an evening, it's secure and trivial to observe while being very hard to manipulate. Doesn't the US have jury duty? Use the same system for election duty until you get enough people to have a proper election.
having an open and transparent election is extremely not in the interests of at least half of the political class

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

jesus WEP posted:

having an open and transparent election is extremely not in the interests of at least half of the political class

and while that half isn’t big in nyc the other half is from the city that perfected machine politics and who had all the incentives to put their best minds on it to ensure a smooth rollout

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1410100394492112898?s=21

hell yeah I’m on pto someone else can deal with throwing a GPO out there to kill the service everywhere except our two print servers

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Lmao that literally everything BUT our actual print servers is affected.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

devmd01 posted:

https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1410100394492112898?s=21

hell yeah I’m on pto someone else can deal with throwing a GPO out there to kill the service everywhere except our two print servers

BRB putting out a GPO to disable all services on all windows servers, gently caress it you can still ping them so my alerts won't trigger and i'm off on vacation now

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So wouldn't this also effect workstations that have local printers?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sickening posted:

So wouldn't this also effect workstations that have local printers?

just kick them off the network there problem solved

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The CVE shows RCE on desktop SKUs and Windows needs the print spooler to run so you can print. And naturally it needs SYSTEM privileges. You couldn't possibly run a print server in an unprivileged fashion, that's technology that hasn't been invented yet.

gently caress Windows, seriously.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Really, I'm surprised Microsoft showed restraint here and isn't running in kernel mode like its web server and font renderer is.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
see, this is why you keep a gun by the printer :colbert:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i've been disabling print spooler via GPO or wherever for ages now. i thought it was just standard surface area reduction...

also lol if you're running an actual print server in tyool 2021 instead of doing that thing where you have one print queue thing and people just swipe at the printers, pretty sure that can be run off the domain somehow

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 30, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

well yeah, if you're gonna print you have to render fonts and only th...

Antigravitas posted:

Really, I'm surprised Microsoft showed restraint here and isn't running in kernel mode like its web server and font renderer is.

goddammit

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

well yeah, if you're gonna print you have to render fonts and only th...

goddammit

If you've got a good printer it will have PS/PDF RIP on board, and in that case:

Cold on a Cob posted:

see, this is why you keep a gun by the printer :colbert:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the safest way to print is to send the file to your phone then airprint

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

or just email it to a colleague and have them print it

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
in which the yospos gang discovers that access to a printer is exactly like access to a boat

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Antigravitas posted:

at least the font renderer parsing has been moved to a heavily container-ized fontdrvhost.exe post-1803.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

VPN provider DoubleVPN was taken offline by an international cooperation of police forces because apparently they catered specifically to criminals and are suspects of criminal activity themselves.

Their systems were apparently hacked by the police which is how they took them offline and collected their data.

Also the police put this on https://www.doublevpn.com/

e: ignore my gif tool causing artifacts.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 30, 2021

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

e: ignore my gif tool causing artifacts.

i thought that a bunch of police forces had animated badges for a moment

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a flashing red light that tells you a seizure has already happened

isn't technology grand

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'm pressing spacebar for the next mission but nothings happening

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

a flashing red light that tells you a seizure has already happened

isn't technology grand

The faster it flashes the more seizures happen

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i've been disabling print spooler via GPO or wherever for ages now. i thought it was just standard surface area reduction...

also lol if you're running an actual print server in tyool 2021 instead of doing that thing where you have one print queue thing and people just swipe at the printers, pretty sure that can be run off the domain somehow

that’s what we have with our leased canon mfps, it’s great. Still gotta have the print service though.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol what are you guys doing that you ever print anything

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Methanar posted:

My acceptance letter when I get a new job. You have to print it on the printer your boss uses for the pro power-move. :smug:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Methanar posted:

I don’t but business gonna business.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also the police put this on

<blink>’s triumphant return!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

The CVE shows RCE on desktop SKUs and Windows needs the print spooler to run so you can print. And naturally it needs SYSTEM privileges. You couldn't possibly run a print server in an unprivileged fashion, that's technology that hasn't been invented yet.

gently caress Windows, seriously.

its such a poo poo show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

error writing to APT0