Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's probably fine, most of the fuel probably evaporated though. As long as the mower was an enclosed space I wouldn't worry too much about foreign materials/moisture getting into the gas tank. Assuming it's a push mower, you could just dump the old gas into a container just to be on the safe side and look for any water or random debris once it's settled. Gas is lighter than water, so it'll float on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
Is there a thread for financial advice, particularly for my mother who wants to buy a house and who makes rather a good deal (rather a tremendously great deal for her area) but has next to zero in savings?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The BFC newbies thread is probably the best place to start.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PersonFromPorlock posted:

Is there a thread for financial advice, particularly for my mother who wants to buy a house and who makes rather a good deal (rather a tremendously great deal for her area) but has next to zero in savings?

The advice is "she's not ready to buy a home". If she want to prepare for buying a home responsibly she needs to start saving/change her behavior with money/budget.

We've got a live one who isn't willing to listen to this advice right now in the house buying thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Will German Cockroach poison work on ants, if I mix it with a poo poo tonne of sugar? The poison right out of the tube doesn't interest them, but they go crazy when I make a thin paste with lots of sugar inside. I'm hoping they eat it along with the sugar and die. It's the kind that takes a few days to work (7-10 days for a roach, so maybe quicker for ants?)

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It depends on the poison, the intended method of exposure, and how it interacts with their physiology. Some roach poisons are slow acting and rely on the roach dying after they've moved into a place other roaches will see and canabalize the dead body, allowing the poison to spread. This won't work for ants, because you are giving them too large of a dose and iirc ants don't eat their dead. Other roach poisons are mutigens that interfere with their reproductive cycles, which will probably have little or no effect on an ant at all.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I need a new phone holder for a car, like one that hooks into the horizontal air vents. My last one, hug buddy (adorable name) broke :(.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
In my job search I encountered jobs listed with Aerotek. I didn't really know what they were until a recruiting agent contacted me and seemed very pleasant and helpful, which sent alarm bells ringing in my head. Can I trust these guys or should I stop providing them info? Will getting a job through them hurt my job security/pay? FWIW I'm currently looking into entry-level lab positions.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I got a free computer thats going on my living room tv. How to people set up these things to use from the couch?

I want to run RetroArch, play some games on Steam, and maybe use it to play media. Do I actually have to run everything from the standard windows desktop or is there a better way? Like a unified launcher I can control with a gamepad or something.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

If you just want it to do one thing, it's easy enough to have windows launch that game when it boots to the desktop. If you want to play only Steam games you can use Steam's TV mode (I think it's called Big Picture mode) and probably control things with just a gamepad. If you want to do a variety of things you'll probably need a Bluetooth mouse + kb

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

I got a free computer thats going on my living room tv. How to people set up these things to use from the couch?

I want to run RetroArch, play some games on Steam, and maybe use it to play media. Do I actually have to run everything from the standard windows desktop or is there a better way? Like a unified launcher I can control with a gamepad or something.

You're describing an HTPC (home theatre pc). They are awful and generally not worth using anymore vs set-top boxes like the Apple TV 4k, Nvidia Shield, Google TV, Roku or Amazon Fire Cube thing.

Since you have this and not those things, figure out if your TV and computer talk to each other well through CEC, that allows the TV remote to control the computer like a keyboard. Otherwise you'll need a FLIRC and universal remote, or a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad thing. Or go full neckbeard and put a wireless kb+m on your lap, whatever.

For media, the DIY option that requires a bit of maintenance and janitoring is Kodi. This works well as long as your media is named consistently. If you want a more hands-off option that can support multiple devices, set up Plex.

What I'd recommend you do:

Put Plex Media Server on your laptop and run your movies through Radarr and tv shows through Sonarr so they're named correctly. Get a $35 Chromecast and Plex on your phone. Stream Plex to the chromecast.

Edit: If you want to go really deep down this rabbit hole, go for:

1. Install Debian on the computer and don't select a Desktop Environment. Make sure SSH works. Plug this thing into your router via ethernet and never physically touch it again.
2. Install Plex
3. Install Docker and Docker-Compose
4. Install Sonarr and Radarr as docker containers and then whatever legitimate media acquisition protocols you want.

You can also use this as a VPN into your home network with wireguard and DNS blocker with pihole. This can also form the backbone of an NAS and be a backup destination for your other devices and store essential files in offsite backups with Backblaze B2 or AWS Glacier or whatever.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 29, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

tuyop posted:

You're describing an HTPC (home theatre pc). They are awful and generally not worth using anymore vs set-top boxes like the Apple TV 4k, Nvidia Shield, Google TV, Roku or Amazon Fire Cube thing.

Since you have this and not those things, figure out if your TV and computer talk to each other well through CEC, that allows the TV remote to control the computer like a keyboard. Otherwise you'll need a FLIRC and universal remote, or a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad thing. Or go full neckbeard and put a wireless kb+m on your lap, whatever.

For media, the DIY option that requires a bit of maintenance and janitoring is Kodi. This works well as long as your media is named consistently. If you want a more hands-off option that can support multiple devices, set up Plex.

What I'd recommend you do:

Put Plex Media Server on your laptop and run your movies through Radarr and tv shows through Sonarr so they're named correctly. Get a $35 Chromecast and Plex on your phone. Stream Plex to the chromecast.

Edit: If you want to go really deep down this rabbit hole, go for:

1. Install Debian on the computer and don't select a Desktop Environment. Make sure SSH works. Plug this thing into your router via ethernet and never physically touch it again.
2. Install Plex
3. Install Docker and Docker-Compose
4. Install Sonarr and Radarr as docker containers and then whatever legitimate media acquisition protocols you want.

You can also use this as a VPN into your home network with wireguard and DNS blocker with pihole. This can also form the backbone of an NAS and be a backup destination for your other devices and store essential files in offsite backups with Backblaze B2 or AWS Glacier or whatever.

Somehow you missed that the number 1 and 2 things they want to do are play games then MAYBE do media

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Slimy Hog posted:

Somehow you missed that the number 1 and 2 things they want to do are play games then MAYBE do media

I play Retroarch and Steam games through my Chromecast with Google TV stick

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tuyop posted:

You're describing an HTPC (home theatre pc). They are awful and generally not worth using anymore

This is absolutely false. I have an HTPC with the guts of my old gaming PC in it and much quieter fans and cooling, with a cheap Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard, plugged into my TV via HDMI cable, which needs absolutely zero setup. It has an Xbox 360 controller and can play basically any game from >5 years ago at 1080p/60.

The login doesn't need a password so it goes straight to the desktop, which It has large icons on it for netflix and disney+ that go straight to the kids' accounts.

dirby posted:

I play Retroarch and Steam games through my Chromecast with Google TV stick

How does it go with anything that has 3D graphics though?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yes that’s the full neckbeard solution (nothing wrong with it) and if that’s what you want, it’s not exactly hard to figure out how to do that.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Memento posted:

How does it go with anything that has 3D graphics though?
If my computer (as opposed to the stick) is running the game, it runs okay - if sometimes a little blurry. You wouldn't want to do anything with frame-precise timing, though. And, on the stick, retroarch can't handle a lot of N64 games well.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Huh. After all that I think the best move is to set up the computer in another room with steam and plex media server, then buy a shield pro and load it with Retroarch, Steam Link, and Plex.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

Huh. After all that I think the best move is to set up the computer in another room with steam and plex media server, then buy a shield pro and load it with Retroarch, Steam Link, and Plex.

I think you'll be very happy with this. I do the same with an Apple TV and since both machines are on Ethernet it's flawless at 1080p.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DildenAnders posted:

In my job search I encountered jobs listed with Aerotek. I didn't really know what they were until a recruiting agent contacted me and seemed very pleasant and helpful, which sent alarm bells ringing in my head. Can I trust these guys or should I stop providing them info? Will getting a job through them hurt my job security/pay? FWIW I'm currently looking into entry-level lab positions.

They’re as legit as any recruiting and staffing service. They’re not going to steal your personal information or anything like that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What's the done thing these days for giving money as a wedding present? Assuming there are no specific directions given for it.

ETA: Also assume a society where cheques are considered very archaic and basically don't exist for people under the age of 70, and EFT is free and easy (although seems like a weird way to give a wedding present?)

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 30, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Why are corporations taxed on net income while individuals are taxed on gross income?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why are corporations taxed on net income while individuals are taxed on gross income?

Individuals aren't taxed on income that went into work/business activities.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I want to start making my own cold brew cuz I'm lazy in the mornings and just wanna have some coffee immediately without having to grind my own beans and boil water. I know it takes a day or so to get the whole process started and I need specific bags/pouches for my coffee, or need to filter afterwards, beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. Anyone have a good primer on making cold brew?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

dog nougat posted:

I want to start making my own cold brew cuz I'm lazy in the mornings and just wanna have some coffee immediately without having to grind my own beans and boil water. I know it takes a day or so to get the whole process started and I need specific bags/pouches for my coffee, or need to filter afterwards, beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. Anyone have a good primer on making cold brew?

There's a coffee thread that may have good advice:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What do dryer sheets do? Other than making clothes feel softer and maybe smell nice, do they do anything?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What do dryer sheets do? Other than making clothes feel softer and maybe smell nice, do they do anything?

Supposedly they are anti static :shrug:

I haven't used them in 16 years and I've never missed them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

I have never used them at all and was wondering what I've been missing! Can't say I've ever been so badly shocked by my static laundry that I felt like I needed to do something about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They help dramatically with static.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

alnilam posted:

If you have a lot of synthetic fiber fabrics, they're a godsend. If I dry most of my gym clothes, for example, without dryer sheets, everything sticks together and is full of charge. Dryer sheets eliminate that issue entirely.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have never used them at all and was wondering what I've been missing! Can't say I've ever been so badly shocked by my static laundry that I felt like I needed to do something about it.

It's not just about getting shocked - it's things sticking together and the additional charge attracting things like cat/dog hair.

Note, I have a dog and two cats. This may not be as much of an issue if you do not own hairy pets.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you have a lot of synthetic fiber fabrics, they're a godsend. If I dry most of my gym clothes, for example, without dryer sheets, everything sticks together and is full of charge. Dryer sheets eliminate that issue entirely.

Interesting, I guess I've never experienced that because I hang-dry basically everything that's not cotton.

Wouldn't the static goes away like, a few seconds after you put the garment on?

e: just saw your :ninja: edit, I guess the issue is more pet hair, understood

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mostly wear natural fibers as God intended so this may be why I have never had big static problems.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

alnilam posted:

Interesting, I guess I've never experienced that because I hang-dry basically everything that's not cotton.

Wouldn't the static goes away like, a few seconds after you put the garment on?

e: just saw your :ninja: edit, I guess the issue is more pet hair, understood

It doesn't go away when you put it on. Sometimes clothes will stay charged in the drawer for a period of time even folded. If you're hanging anything non-cotton, you're not really going to notice. If you tossed the dryer safe stuff in the dryer, you'd find out about the problem immediately.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I mostly wear natural fibers as God intended so this may be why I have never had big static problems.

Could be. My gym clothes are the top culprit in my household followed by a handful of blankets and my couch covers.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dog nougat posted:

I went through a lot of gimmicks, but I ended up with a 64oz wide mouth ball jar and steel filter. There are a ton of them on Amazon for around $25. Just put about seven heaping scoops in the filter, put the filter in the jar, fill the jar with water, then put the lid on the jar. Leave it in the fridge overnight and you have cold brewed coffee in the morning. Remove and clean the filter and the coffee is ready to go.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You probably shouldn’t use dryer sheets. They’re a scourge upon the environment, just hang your synthetics.

https://www.ecowatch.com/why-you-need-to-ditch-dryer-sheets-1881714654.html

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tuyop posted:

You probably shouldn’t use dryer sheets. They’re a scourge upon the environment, just hang your synthetics.

https://www.ecowatch.com/why-you-need-to-ditch-dryer-sheets-1881714654.html

i use dryer balls instead, they are reusable (ive had the same ones for like a year) and dont contain any chemical fragrances so there are no environmental issues and they work quite well

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Many many years before dryer balls were a commercial product (or at least one that I've ever seen), my aunt showed me how she threw a field hockey ball into the dryer to help beat the clothes around. I've heard of tennis balls working too but I would worry about the green fuzz getting loose and on the clothes.

I'm not sure if there's anything special about ones sold as dryer balls other than that they won't melt or shed fuzz. I mean they're probably no more expensive than a field hockey ball though so go for it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dog nougat posted:

i make cold brew in a french press and i make it the same way i make normal coffee except i use cold water, i use a little bit more coffee than i would if it were hot, and i let it sit for 20 hours before pressing it. then when its ready, press and pour it into a sealable glass bottle in the fridge for storage. its turns out well. i like it pretty strong, if you want it less strong just do it for less time or add water after

i dont know what you mean by specific bags or pouches. you can make cold brew with the exact same kind of coffee you would if you were brewing it hot

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 30, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

alnilam posted:

Many many years before dryer balls were a commercial product (or at least one that I've ever seen), my aunt showed me how she threw a field hockey ball into the dryer to help beat the clothes around. I've heard of tennis balls working too but I would worry about the green fuzz getting loose and on the clothes.

I'm not sure if there's anything special about ones sold as dryer balls other than that they won't melt or shed fuzz. I mean they're probably no more expensive than a field hockey ball though so go for it.

dryer balls are much lighter and softer than tennis balls. a tennis ball in a dryer would bang around and make a bunch of noise and maybe even damage the dryer over time. dryer balls are made of wool all the way through, if you drop one on the ground it barely makes a sound

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Earwicker posted:

dryer balls are much lighter and softer than tennis balls. a tennis ball in a dryer would bang around and make a bunch of noise and maybe even damage the dryer over time. dryer balls are made of wool all the way through, if you drop one on the ground it barely makes a sound

In this heat, I think we can ALL appreciated having dryer balls.
Especially when wearing boxer briefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

dog nougat posted:

I make extra strong french press coffee and add that + some water to a pitcher. Tastes as good as cold brew imo because of how french press coffee keeps all the natural oils and whatnot in the coffee.

You'll want a nice size french press though, 32 oz or larger. Use almost double the amount of beans (I use 8 tablespoons) and steep an extra minute or 2, so 6-7 minutes. Make sure to swirl / shake the press a bit to keep all the grounds in contact with water. Pour into a pitcher, water it down until it's just a bit stronger than you like (because ice + milk later will dilute it a bit), store in the fridge.