Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That was a goddamn ordeal with lots of grinding.

I'd been trying to use Mad Gasser's Hellish Mask trait passed up, but it did nothing against the way high odds of Ancient-whatever landing. However I had a low level David kicking around, from a few days or so ago when I was fusing random poo poo to make space, which happened to have the suggested innate resistances to status ailments. Throw in more grinding to net him a few levels so he's stop getting one-shot.

Started with David since he's got Rakunda, popped in a Black Frost to bounce fire spells during the middle turns, then put David back in to null in the last few turns. Jerk never cast it when David was in the fight, and kept spamming damage attacks/spells to try and kill him instead :mad:

The AI in this game is evil, with random moments of clumsiness added in so it doesn't 100% crush the player at all times. Haven't had a difficulty spike like that probably since Naraku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Maha posted:

I have a Jack Frost with Dark Might in the ps2 SMT:Nocturne and it's not triggering in the Matador fight, does anyone know what's up with that? It was a new moon.

No one answered so I will.

Depending on the "might" skill it activates at different phases.
Dark Might: New Kagustuchi.
Bright Might: Full Kagustuchi.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wtf why did they make mothman so cute

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tired Moritz posted:

he's always been that cute

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

he's always been that cute

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tired Moritz posted:

always has been

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Man I just realized that the English covered of the special edition is awful and doesn't give a lot of the details that are given in Japanese. Here is my translation from the website (like my previous posts, a liberal translation to sound more natural in English):

Special Edition Includes:

1) The game itself

2) Series Melody orchestral quartet arrangement + SMT5 mini soundtrack (2CDs with a total of 35 tracks):
Contains string quartet arrangements of carefully selected tracks from SMT1 - SMT IV Apocalypse that have a religious and high class atmosphere. Additionally, it contains an SMT 5 mini soundtrack and a "SMT Music Handbook" that includes all of the series' English and Japanese. (I'm assuming this means lyrics here?)

3) SMT Demon Handbook (A5 sized paper, 116 pages):
Includes art for both the new demons in SMT 5 and the retouched over 200 demons, with printed commentary, all in gorgeous hardcover binding.

4) Nahobino T-shirt (not included in the western edition)
The T-shirt design has the impression of Nahobino through mixing the protagonist's white with Aogami's blue.

5) Steelbook case:
The eyes on the case are based on the "Tree of the knowledge of good and evil" character that appears in the game.

Then there are just some obvious notes like that it is a limited edition with a specific number of copies available, that any images in the previews referencing in-game stuff are subject to change, and that the contents of the CD may be redistributed at a future date.
-----------------------

So going by what we know so far, it seems like they are really pushing even harder into Judaism/Christianity for SMT V than normal. Even with the little we know, we have:
  1. Redesigned Angel
  2. Sophia as the fusion person
  3. The genesis' tree of knowledge.
  4. The game at least starting in Da'at

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 30, 2021

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Mothman, there's no need to feel down
I said Mothman, lift that man off the ground.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnS3nWX9iu4

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine using mothman as a pillow

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yo, can I gently caress the demons?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Yo, can I gently caress the demons?

I thought this was already proven to be bullshit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Don't tell the one guy from SJ

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hunt11 posted:

I get my SMT news from reddit push notifications. So ... no? I can't gently caress the demons?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

It's a photoshop of a shitposter

https://twitter.com/Kotaku_Online/status/1409837468107554816

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it wasn't photoshop. the person was just loving around and changed back to its regular username/profile picture.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't recommend trying to gently caress a Nue

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't recommend trying to gently caress a Nue

It's SMT and I want to be punished for my hubris.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the demons.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am sure if you search hard enough you will be able to find what you need online.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so back into the thick of IV and I was doing so well getting back into the swing of things until I get to the Hunter preliminary tournament. I keep getting pasted. I need to get some demons that know stronger full party heal magic and possibly some magic and physical reflects because I am not doing so well here. Getting charge on my MC wouldn’t hurt either.

I just can’t make sense of the fusion tables so trying to get a specific demon is a pain in the rear end

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Spiffster posted:

Ok so back into the thick of IV and I was doing so well getting back into the swing of things until I get to the Hunter preliminary tournament. I keep getting pasted. I need to get some demons that know stronger full party heal magic and possibly some magic and physical reflects because I am not doing so well here. Getting charge on my MC wouldn’t hurt either.

I just can’t make sense of the fusion tables so trying to get a specific demon is a pain in the rear end

SMT4A doesn't have an identical demon list, but maybe this guide can still be helpful? It tells you every possible fusion to create any given demon. It'll probably be somewhat inaccurate for SMT4 but probably not useless.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/3ds/181823-shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse/faqs/75170

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Wanna pet that Mothman

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Spiffster posted:

https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt4/demons

You can go to the skills tab and look up Mediarama or what have you and get a list of demons you can click on that will tell you every possible combination to fuse them. You can also sort the demon list by elemental resistances and find something that resists what you want in your level range.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MegaZeroX posted:

Man I just realized that the English covered of the special edition is awful and doesn't give a lot of the details that are given in Japanese. Here is my translation from the website (like my previous posts, a liberal translation to sound more natural in English):

Special Edition Includes:

1) The game itself

2) Series Melody orchestral quartet arrangement + SMT5 mini soundtrack (2CDs with a total of 35 tracks):
Contains string quartet arrangements of carefully selected tracks from SMT1 - SMT IV Apocalypse that have a religious and high class atmosphere. Additionally, it contains an SMT 5 mini soundtrack and a "SMT Music Handbook" that includes all of the series' English and Japanese. (I'm assuming this means lyrics here?)

3) SMT Demon Handbook (A5 sized paper, 116 pages):
Includes art for both the new demons in SMT 5 and the retouched over 200 demons, with printed commentary, all in gorgeous hardcover binding.

4) Nahobino T-shirt (not included in the western edition)
The T-shirt design has the impression of Nahobino through mixing the protagonist's white with Aogami's blue.

5) Steelbook case:
The eyes on the case are based on the "Tree of the knowledge of good and evil" character that appears in the game.

Then there are just some obvious notes like that it is a limited edition with a specific number of copies available, that any images in the previews referencing in-game stuff are subject to change, and that the contents of the CD may be redistributed at a future date.
-----------------------

So going by what we know so far, it seems like they are really pushing even harder into Judaism/Christianity for SMT V than normal. Even with the little we know, we have:
  1. Redesigned Angel
  2. Sophia as the fusion person
  3. The genesis' tree of knowledge.
  4. The game at least starting in Da'at

And that special edition is still sold out everywhere, huh.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah basically sold out day 1. I just posted primarily because nothing on the English gave any details of any of the parts, particularly for the OST and I saw some people online speculating how many tracks it is supposed to contain when its already a solved issue directly on Atlus' Japanese website.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bootes is down, I gotta say SJ's difficulty is super weird. The start of the dungeon where you can't see what you're fighting is challenging. And as you start analyzing the demons and getting forma for Equipment the challenge nosedives. Currently at 15 deaths 12 from the MC being hit with a random Mudo, gently caress those drat pigs and spiders

I've been spending the last twenty minutes trying to find the drat hole you need to fall into to talk to the pomegranate demon

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hey Tallgeese is there a way to make abilities in Imagine fire off when they're reading instead of requiring you to hit the button again?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
There's a mothman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us but he thinks he blew our minds

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hey Tallgeese is there a way to make abilities in Imagine fire off when they're reading instead of requiring you to hit the button again?

Certain skills do that, such as the ever-lovely Erosion Hex.

Other than that, unfortunately not since many skills are, for lack of a better word, intended to be aimed or able to be charged up in advance. It would be a problem to make many skills automatic because, for example, what would happen if you start incanting a skill and your main target dies before you finish? Can't have you fire it off into empty space, some of these cooldowns are no joke!

I imagine you're trying to use spins, yeah?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 1, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I imagine you're trying to use spins, yeah?

Well mostly anything, even Talk/Greet.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yeah, that's one of those "it's just how the game is."

What you can do, however, is eventually get equipment that gives what's called "Consecutive Uses."

In fact, "endgame" usually revolves around abusing that kind of gear to do something like, say, fire three rounds of Infinite Light per incantation. Or similar funny things.

It also gets better once you get more Incantation Time reduction in my book.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 1, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

gently caress

well I play FF11 so I guess I'm not immune to uh, adjusting.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You should get on the Discord of whatever server you're on and ask for advice, there's plenty of helpful fellows.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I guess SMT4 never actually ends. I'm back where I used to be, can't find an active main quest, and need to open another big fire/fog gate with a very vague clue over how and a roster of uhh... [searches online] 426 or 427 demons.

Hoping this side quest I picked up on a failed recruit helps--it won't though.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

you're literally at the start of the end dude, its been a while so i dont remember exactly what happens but this is where you lock your ending

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

its pronounced zee-oh??

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Trash Ops posted:

you're literally at the start of the end dude, its been a while so i dont remember exactly what happens but this is where you lock your ending

Yea, I've gathered that much from checking walkthroughs to see how many broad areas are left. Just complaining online to see if that helps me stumble onto the clue that tells me how to open the drat gate.

So far no dice, but I did unlock the ability to fuse 4-6 previous bosses, which will be nice if I ever figure out the minions that I can chimera into them.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's a mothman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us but he thinks he blew our minds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnS3nWX9iu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

If there were any demon I'd force to wear "Here Comes A Special Boy" shoes, it'd be Mothman.