Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Finally reset my shield pro and let it sit unpowered for a few hours. My remote ate through a fresh pair of batteries yesterday... Today everything is good with fresh batteries. So annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fwiw I've been enjoying the poo poo out of this $15 2.4ghz remote for my Shield for the last couple years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P322VRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

insane battery life and no sleep/wake issues. it even has a gyro mouse and microphone.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/28/...J6jIZ0TktZeyUiI

YouTubeTV is offering two new upgrades.

5.1 sound finally.

An add-on package "4K Plus" which is 4K content and downloadable options. That's $20 *extra* a month.

1 month free trial and $10/month 12 month introductory pricing for those that get in early.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BonoMan posted:

5.1 sound finally.

An add-on package "4K Plus" which is 4K content and downloadable options. That's $20 *extra* a month.

1 month free trial and $10/month 12 month introductory pricing for those that get in early.

$85 a month for all that now. Getting a bit pricy tbh

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

BonoMan posted:

5.1 sound finally.

drat 4K could get me back. But some more networks would have to get on board for it to be worth my while. As it currently stands you're still mostly paying the YTTV Sports Tax with this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MarcusSA posted:

100%. I'm def not getting that.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah, gently caress that noise. I got in at 40 bucks a month, now it’s 65 and rising. They’ve basically reinvented cable but ditched the cost of customer service, boxes, and burying lines. My ISP’s TV bundle is looking better and better, even if we don’t get MLB network for some reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Yeah, gently caress that noise. I got in at 40 bucks a month, now it’s 65 and rising. They’ve basically reinvented cable but ditched the cost of customer service, boxes, and burying lines. My ISP’s TV bundle is looking better and better, even if we don’t get MLB network for some reason.

Yeah I’m on a family plan with my dad which is the only reason we have it. If it was just me there’s no way.

$40 was a steal. $50 was imo the perfect price. Now it’s just why not get cable?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’m on a family plan with my dad which is the only reason we have it. If it was just me there’s no way.

$40 was a steal. $50 was imo the perfect price. Now it’s just why not get cable?

Yeah unfortunately in the capitalistic hellscape we live in, there is no company that will ever go "nah I'm ok offering eternally affordable plans." Every business model is *always* going to be "get in cheap and slowly rise the price."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
As a YTTV user since Aug 2019 - I don't care about the 4K upgrade (yet) - but the 5.1 is a nice addition. I assume that is not extra $?

The portability and ease of use of the system is still making it completely worth it for me as opposed to "bundling with Xfinity" since I currently seamlessly use YTTV on:

1. ATV4K Living Room
2. ATV4K Bedroom
3. Nvidia Shield Office
4. ATV4K at Ma's house
5. Roku Ultra Premiere (at Ma's house)
6. iPad Air
7. iPhone
8. MacBook Pro
9. Linux Mint PC in the garage :newlol:

I have an Antenna/HDHomeRun/Channels App (cancelled the $8/month DVR service) as a backup for when Xfinity internet goes down (which is about 3-4 days per year since 2015). Also one can watch YTTV via cellular/hotspot as well.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 28, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Keyser_Soze posted:

As a YTTV user since Aug 2019 - I don't care about the 4K upgrade (yet) - but the 5.1 is a nice addition. I assume that is not extra $?

Correct.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, just as an FYI, it's not just 4k upgrade.

The extra cost is for:
Offline downloads
Unlimited streams

I suspect the last piece is what's really inflating the price due to licensing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Also, just as an FYI, it's not just 4k upgrade.

The extra cost is for:
Offline downloads
Unlimited streams

I suspect the last piece is what's really inflating the price due to licensing.

I mentioned Offline in my OG post, but didn't realize unlimited streams was in it. That's not bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BonoMan posted:

I mentioned Offline in my OG post, but didn't realize unlimited streams was in it. That's not bad.

Yeah, with a caveat that they must all be on the same wifi network. Streams outisde of the house are still limited to 3 (likely to cut down on account sharing.)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/im-finally-cutting-the-cord-and-this-is-my-choice-to-replace-cable

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Keyser_Soze posted:

have an Antenna/HDHomeRun/Channels App (cancelled the $8/month DVR service) as a backup...

This sent me down a rabbit hole where I found out my TV supports USB HDD recording like a DVR and can even schedule future programs to record on a recurring schedule. Which is the one thing I felt I needed still after cutting cable TV.

Now I can record the summer Olympics even though they will be on at crazy hours.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That just seems like a weird and clunky choice. With YouTubeTV it's all just... there and it works.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I WONDER WHAT SELECT SPORTS EVENS FROM NBC WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 4k?!?!

I'll hit free-trial once I get some idea what I can get, but sticking around on the sub for the whole year really requires them to get their sports poo poo in order with the regionals.

Otherwise it'll be like sports+, which I re-up for NFL and cancel with the end of the regular season. I only want RedZone, the rest is worthless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Remember though that the big difference between YouTube TV and cable co is cancelling or pausing your service is a few clicks and that's it. It doesn't involve phone calls, re-bundling, losing promotional rates on other products, or arranging for the return of equipment.

Price increases were inevitable once channels were added since carriage costs go up every year.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Remember though that the big difference between YouTube TV and cable co is cancelling or pausing your service is a few clicks and that's it. It doesn't involve phone calls, re-bundling, losing promotional rates on other products, or arranging for the return of equipment.

Price increases were inevitable once channels were added since carriage costs go up every year.

Yeah I still love it. Honestly even if it was the same price as cable... still worth it.

Hell *my wife* - technophobe - was evangelizing it randomly to some friends of ours. That's, like, a huge win.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

FunOne posted:

I WONDER WHAT SELECT SPORTS EVENS FROM NBC WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 4k?!?!

I'll hit free-trial once I get some idea what I can get, but sticking around on the sub for the whole year really requires them to get their sports poo poo in order with the regionals.

Otherwise it'll be like sports+, which I re-up for NFL and cancel with the end of the regular season. I only want RedZone, the rest is worthless.

What's up, red zone buddy?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I ended up going back to a cable Internet/TV bundle, because Internet and any streaming service with a sports package was more expensive.

I use an HD HomeRun Prime + cable card as my tuner. Since I get one cable card gratis, I get away from box "rental". It works great with Plex for free DVR and I can have 3 simultaneous streams going with the HomeRun.

It's just really drat annoying how prices just keep getting jacked up for streaming. For a while, even with ESPN/FoxSports/CBS Sports/Regionals, streaming was the cheap way to go. Now, it's by far the more expensive.

I'd love to be able to cherry pick a custom package and keep it under $50, but with the way bundling is set up by distributors that's a pipe dream at this point. I'd even pay direct, if I could get prime draw sports ala carte. I suppose I could do something like Disney/Hulu/Netflix/Discovery for regular viewing, and then do month to month for YouTubeTV or HuluLive when the sports I follow are in season.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 30, 2021

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
edit: probably the wrong thread

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 1, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I used to do the HD HomeRun Prime but the last 2 months of cable the audio was constantly getting out of sync on live tv. Couldn't ever figure it out. As much as I loved having Plex be my defacto one stop shop for everything except Netflix, I'm not going to miss the other random oddities from SiliconDust (who I absolutely hate) products or Plex with live tv. YTTV just works, I don't have all the same issues with Plex recording everything because TLC can't figure out how to label their shows, and unlimited set and forget dvr space is fantastic. Plus I don't have to choke my home internet upload when I'm trying to watch a live stream remotely

I'm paying about the same as I was with my old cable bundle after re-upping some promo deal every 1-2 years, but I have unlimited internet now and YTTV so it was worth the move.

Now that I'm very happy with YTTV I'm fully expecting Google to either drop it or impose strict DVR limitations

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

This is a pretty niche question, but does anyone have experience with an ATSC 3.0 tuner? I live in a market where there are a good number of stations that have it available, but the market for tuners seems to currently just be HDHomerun. Do they work, and are there any gotchas? I'd hate to pay $200 for one and then 5 years from now they stop supporting it and I have a brick, vs just waiting for a tuner with HDMI out that will work forever.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Inept posted:

This is a pretty niche question, but does anyone have experience with an ATSC 3.0 tuner? I live in a market where there are a good number of stations that have it available, but the market for tuners seems to currently just be HDHomerun. Do they work, and are there any gotchas? I'd hate to pay $200 for one and then 5 years from now they stop supporting it and I have a brick, vs just waiting for a tuner with HDMI out that will work forever.

They're just rebroadcasting the ATSC 1.0 signal at this point and will be for the foreseeable future. I would just wait.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TheWevel posted:

They're just rebroadcasting the ATSC 1.0 signal at this point and will be for the foreseeable future. I would just wait.

Yeah, I'm not expecting 4k, but I thought macroblocking and other compression artifacts might improve with the newer standard. I'll probably wait until I can get one for under a hundred bucks though.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Fallom posted:

fwiw I've been enjoying the poo poo out of this $15 2.4ghz remote for my Shield for the last couple years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P322VRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

insane battery life and no sleep/wake issues. it even has a gyro mouse and microphone.

I like this remote but I've noticed an issue where it only sometimes "double clicks" on all of the buttons- right, left, stop/play... it sometimes will double press right for example. I can't figure out why- has anyone else dealt with this?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Inept posted:

Yeah, I'm not expecting 4k, but I thought macroblocking and other compression artifacts might improve with the newer standard. I'll probably wait until I can get one for under a hundred bucks though.

The good thing about this changeover for now is that you might get a better OTA signal... the transport streams inside the signal are still ATSC1, so it's just ~20 megabits MPEG2. But a lot of the stupid ATSC1 signal problems will theoretically go away because the modulation is modern. The downside is that the station groups are light-housing the ATSC3 signals, so before when you had multiple transmitters across a market, the ATSC3 signals are mostly coming from 1 shared tower.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Anybody else having issues with Pluto TV on a computer? It's been broken for about a week now, at least.

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and Edge in Windows, and even the Chromium browser on a Raspberry Pi 400. No go on any of them. Tablets and phones work, though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

rockinricky posted:

Anybody else having issues with Pluto TV on a computer? It's been broken for about a week now, at least.

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and Edge in Windows, and even the Chromium browser on a Raspberry Pi 400. No go on any of them. Tablets and phones work, though.

Works fine for me on all my poo poo.

It would sound like some sort of connectivity issue on your end. A few things to check:

-Power cycle your modem and router
-If you're using some sort of DNS service, turn that off and just use the defaults from your ISP
-If you're using some sort of ad-blocking on anything, turn that off.
-I don't think Pluto cares about your location but if you're running anything to hide or alter your location, turn that off for troubleshooting purposes.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Works fine for me on all my poo poo.

It would sound like some sort of connectivity issue on your end. A few things to check:

-Power cycle your modem and router
-If you're using some sort of DNS service, turn that off and just use the defaults from your ISP
-If you're using some sort of ad-blocking on anything, turn that off.
-I don't think Pluto cares about your location but if you're running anything to hide or alter your location, turn that off for troubleshooting purposes.

It doesn't even work on my brother's computer. Until about a week ago, it worked fine on everything. I just might give the power cycle thing a shot.

EDIT: Power cycled modem and router, no go. Whitelisted it on Pihole, still no go.

Wouldn't DNS issues keep it from working at all? It works on tablets and phones, just not on computers. Ad blockers never mattered before.

rockinricky fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 10, 2021

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

rockinricky posted:

It doesn't even work on my brother's computer. Until about a week ago, it worked fine on everything. I just might give the power cycle thing a shot.

EDIT: Power cycled modem and router, no go. Whitelisted it on Pihole, still no go.

Wouldn't DNS issues keep it from working at all? It works on tablets and phones, just not on computers. Ad blockers never mattered before.

It is probably the pihole. Disable the pihole for 5 minutes and then try Pluto. It will probably work. Just because Pluto is whitelisted, the ad provider is being blocked and that is making Pluto stop working. If disabling the pihole fixes it you will have to go to the query logs and see what ad provider is being blocked and white list it.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Burden posted:

It is probably the pihole. Disable the pihole for 5 minutes and then try Pluto. It will probably work. Just because Pluto is whitelisted, the ad provider is being blocked and that is making Pluto stop working. If disabling the pihole fixes it you will have to go to the query logs and see what ad provider is being blocked and white list it.

I whitelisted something with 'crashalytics' or something like that, now it works. Thanks!

After all, when it comes to 'free' TV, ads are the most important thing of all.

rockinricky fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 10, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

rockinricky posted:

You can set DNS on a device itself, which is what I do for certain things. You probably should have mentioned you had pihole in the first post because that would have definitely been the first thing to eliminate as a possible cause.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m watching England win against Italy on YouTubetv.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I’m watching England win against Italy on YouTubetv.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thats weird.

I was actually trying to figure out if the game was going to be on any of our streaming services.

Is there a service that just streams soccer games?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Thats weird.

I was actually trying to figure out if the game was going to be on any of our streaming services.

Is there a service that just streams soccer games?

fuboTV is a sports centric streaming platform that has tons of soccer channels, but no ESPN.

UEFA 2021 Championship game is going to be on ESPN today and streamed on fuboTV and ESPN+. That's in the US, I have no idea about other countries.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

You could probably do a free trial of ESPN+or the Disney+ bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

fuboTV is a sports centric streaming platform that has tons of soccer channels, but no ESPN.

UEFA 2021 Championship game is going to be on ESPN today and streamed on fuboTV and ESPN+. That's in the US, I have no idea about other countries.

Thanks!

So I know I’ve talked about this before but YouTube tv can officially gently caress off now.

My dad and I are on a family plan and we split the bill that was fine till today…

Guess he’s gonna have to eat the bill on his own now.

Edit: I just paid 5.99 for espn + because fuckin hell.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 11, 2021