Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

22 December, 2153

After intense deliberations, Hektor’s leaders have arrived at a strategy for responding to the Achllean threat. Hektor will take the initiative in approaching its neighbors on friendly terms and acquire allies through economic integration and material aid, combined with high-minded egalitarian appeals. Only in the case of obstinate colonies will more… expedient solutions be considered. One way or another, a new power block will be created in this corner of the system.

Resources and Projects

Aurora’s economy and production mechanics are a bore for this kind of LP and we’re not going to spend time grappling with them in detail. I’m not going to tell you you can’t make something just because you don’t have enough loving Uridium or whatever. Instead we’re going to abstract the hell out of it. When you want to do something, I’m just going to subjectively compare present resources (represented by your mines, factories, ally contributions, etc as well as one-time boosts like the Chiron cache) versus the existing burdens on those resources, and tell you yes or no. Due to the setting, the prewar technologies and expertise you’ve rediscovered will also have an effect - you might not be able to make some things that the vanilla mechanics would allow you to. I’ll sometimes prompt you with suggestions for what to spend resources on, and give a general idea of how expensive projects will be. Thread proposals are also allowed though I can't guarantee that a proposal will be possible.

Resources

Like all colonies, the bulk of your productive efforts are dedicated merely to survival in space. The majority of the population works in the environmental systems, power plant, agricultural engineering, recyclers, and supporting sectors. But due to Hektor’s background, you are fortunate to have a skilled cadre of dockworkers, machinists, and engineers who are available for elective projects. You are currently sitting on a nice haul of loot from Chiron as well, most notably
  • Medical equipment and drugs
  • Air and water reserves
  • Nuclear fuel from the power plant
  • Robotic factory tools
  • Small arms
  • Basic circuit board components
  • Preserved foodstuffs and agricultural equipment
  • Enviro system spare parts
  • One dismembered statue

Much of this is already being put to use to boost Hektor’s productive abilities. The rest is at your disposal as a one-time boost for projects. You have also recovered the Diluvians’ colony ship, a basic prewar Oceanic class. Obviously there’s not much demand these days for colonization, but perhaps she could be converted to other uses.

quote:

Oceanic class Colony Ship 7,536 tons 54 Crew 354.1 BP TCS 151 TH 50 EM 0
331 km/s Armour 1-34 Shields 0-0 HTK 17 Sensors 8/0/0/0 DCR 1 PPV 0
MSP 29 Max Repair 100 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 20,000 Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 1
Lieutenant Commander Control Rating 1 BRG
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months

Commercial Nuclear Thermal Engine EP50.0-0.4-1250t (1) Power 50 Fuel Use 12.80% Signature 50 Explosion 4%
Fuel Capacity 7,000 Litres Range 1.3 billion km (45 days at full power)

Civilian Search Sensor AS23-R100 (70%) (1) GPS 1000 Range 23.4m km Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH1.0-8.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 8 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 22.4m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Discovered Technologies and Expertise

From Chiron’s extreme-range comms system, your data archaeologists have extracted schematics and protocols for secure data uplinks. With these, you can produce target designators with which troops may call down fire from the fleet.

Chiron had a passive sensor array very similar to the dead one at Hektor. You’ve cannibalized many of its parts and downloaded operating manuals and calibration software to replace your own corrupted copies. You may now repair your tracking station and have expertise to build more.

The enviro systems on Chiron were designed for ultra-reliability since the Ark would be on its own for fifty years. You may be able to learn from those systems to gain expertise in maintaining air recyclers.

Projects

First, let’s figure out what our spending priorities are. There are quite a few options, so here’s how it will work. Vote for your top four choices. I’ll rank the choices using instant runoff, then go down the list until your resources are fully committed. I might not tally until after the weekend so I urge you to talk it over some before casting votes. Since you have chosen the Bribe strategy, I have reserved a moderate portion of your resources for aid opportunities to other colonies.

Grunts - Light Expense - Hektor’s ground forces could use some beefing up to deal with commitments that may arise, or to repel Achillean invasion. This will give your militia some more heavy equipment and recruit a new battalion of regular (non power armor) infantry. Finally, your assault troops will get a forward observer platoon which can call down orbital bombardments on the enemy. (Your ships can already bombard enemy colonies, but without the new uplink it is indiscriminate and inaccurate).

Eyes - Light Expense - Hektor once had a passive tracking array to monitor its surroundings, but during the Silence a piece of nasty malware severely damaged it. With parts and new calibration software recovered from Chiron, you can restore it to functionality giving you a Strength-200 tracking station. Fair warning, DSTS have been heavily nerfed in C#.

Snooping - Light Expense - With electronics from Chiron, you could refit a cargo shuttle to serve as a scout-fighter. This would be within 500 tons and have active and passive sensors to give our fleet some stealthy recon ability.

Scrapper - Light Expense - There's an ancient, rusted ore barge in Hektor's docks that could be turned into a mobile salvage platform if you load her with some equipment. This would let you recover resources from destroyed ships.

Space Truckin - Light-Moderate Expense - The colony ship you brought back from Chiron doesn’t have much use to you currently, but it could be converted to a medium freighter. This may aid your attempts to reach out economically to the rest of the cluster.

Armed and Operational - Moderate Expense - You have previously done all you could to make the American destroyer Alexi spaceworthy again. As a true old-world warship, Alexi is already one of the baddest boats in the cluster, but with electronics recovered from Chiron she could regain more of her former glory. Dr. Iserjay thinks she may be able to fully restore the microwave projector, fire control, and active sensor.

Legitimate Salvage - Heavy Expense - Pyotr’s people are currently repairing his prize, the Miltiades. He has indicated he would be willing to part with it for a reasonable amount, given its condition. Of course you’ll then have to finish the repairs yourself, and further work will be needed to make her unrecognizable as a certain League Navy ship.

Strategy Decisions

These choices are independent of the items above. Pick Yes or No on each of these.

Sell Supplies - The medical equipment you recovered is quite valuable as trade goods. You could sell it to Pyotr or other colonies for a moderate amount of resources. Alternatively, Hektor’s population could benefit from it instead. Having people come to Hektor for treatments could help with your Bribe strategy.

Martian Hype - The Martian federals love to go on and on about all those lofty Inspire ideals you've chosen to boost. Even just a shout-out from them would increase Hektor's credibility with respect to this strategy. Of course the Martians will probably expect a favor in return someday, and a perceived alignment towards Mars could have political ramifications for you sunward.

Viva La - Hektor will attempt to smuggle weapons and equipment into Achillean League space to aid the resistance movements there. Pyotr hasn’t left just yet, so you’ll try to buy some contacts from him to facilitate this. The resistance will hopefully provide you with intel or delay Achillean plans for further conquest. This will count as a light expense, and will take priority over the projects above.

From the Ashes Upgrade Decision

You may now select an upgrade to install within a section of Ashes’ inoperable spaces. This will cost no additional resources and with either option, you’ll also be getting 500 tons of space cleared out and made ready for hangar ops.

Main Engineering (150 tons) - Engineer Mr. Mojangles could use some better facilities to work with. He says with a true engineering center, he can improve the ship’s damage control, reduce breakdowns, and make volatile systems like the engines and power plant more stable.

Combat Information Center (150 tons) - A CIC is much more efficient than the bridge at collecting and processing complex battle data. There, a resident Tactical Officer will be able to direct the ship’s weapons for greater accuracy.

----

After this, we’ll start executing your campaign. You’ll pick which colony you want to focus on first and we’ll see what’s going on there, what opportunities you can find, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

1. Armed and Operational - proper warships are much more powerful units than irregulars. Having one of those with modern electronics would be very useful.
2. Eyes - lack of recon was our greatest fault in the last op. DSTS:s no longer have superpowers, but they would still be pretty good in our cramped little cluster.
3. Snooping - like the above, but much shorter range and mobile.
4. Space Truckin - freighters are just generally useful.

Don't Sell Supplies. Lots of medical supplies are probably the most valuable thing we can have for the purpose of swaying other minors to our camp.
No Martian Hype They are weirdoes.
No Viva La Not opposed in principle, but let's improve our odds a bit before we go picking a fight.

upgrade: Main Engineering (150 tons) Let's be real, we are going to get hit.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The Tuna Slate seems a reasonable ticket, but I'm open to thoughts about order. Definitely seems wise to increase our economic capabilities and our eyes and ears.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

(Former Espace Marine National Lt. Ulysse de Tropconfiant)

Friends, Trojans, Countrymen. Our goal is clear. Unification of our local neighborhood and the removal of the existential threat posed by the Akhillians. We must move carefully, as even a victory against them might be a long term defeat if it costs us our limited fleet. I have placed below my suggestions for our spending, and I submit them to the senior staff as the Admiralty appears to have been "losing" my earlier memos.

Research:
If we are able to direct our research efforts, the application and replication of Chiron's long term, durable, low maintenance life support is something that would free up workers here on Hektor and make for a valuable trading chit to our neighbors.

Prioritization:
I believe we should be able to do all of the below without overtaxing our resources, although refit of both the Oceanic class and the Alexi will likely have to be sequenced due to our lack of dockyard facilities and personnel.

1. Armed and Operational - Moderate Expense - The Alexi is a fine boat, and all should be proud of the work done to make it such. Further repairs will make her a terror, and significantly increase our power projection. She still could not go toe to toe with a larger warship, but any cobbled together rock-hopper would be leaves attempting to stand before the autumn wind.

2. Snooper - Light Expense I realize I've waffled twice on this, but in the interest in having my ballot count, I'm re-instating my vote for the Snooper. It's situational, but it's something we can use to start gathering intelligence that we sorely need right away, even though it cannot act as a SWACS system.

3. Space Trucking - Light-Moderate Expense - Our agreed upon strategy is one of cooperation with our neighbors. Enhancing our ability to actually provide trade goods, and personal transportation, is an absolutely necessary step for any such plan to succeed. Moreover, at over 7,000 tons, it will be one of the most efficient cargo haulers in the area and we can offer chartered trips for the other, smaller rocks that have limited options for moving their own goods. A small cargo fee would allow us to cover our expenses - and perhaps even turn a profit - while establishing the trade and trust necessary for future collective action.

4. Eyes - Light Expense - This is ranked so low only because it is sure to be implemented. Repairing our sensors will give additional forewarning. Moreover, such repairs will give us the expertise necessary to install passive warning systems in our neighbors as a show of good faith. I am thinking that Teucer might especially appreciate such a system.

For the rest, I do not believe such investments are in our best interest at the time. The Militiades would be expensive, allowing us to choose only two light expense options, and primarily useful for having another hull in our flotilla. That's not nothing, but it's not giving up refitting the Oceanic class vessel or being forced to sell our supplies. Additional ground forces would be useful should Achilles come knocking, but if we lose control of space I have no doubt that they'd just bombard or besiege us. Further, it is an opportunity we can revisit at a later date. Likewise, while a salvage vessel would be very helpful given the risks of force attrition, we should be seeking to avoid outright conflict until we are in a stronger position.

Strategy Decisions

Sell Supplies - No. We can best use these supplies as part of our strategic interdependence with the other, non-Akhillian rocks.

Martian Hype - No. It might backfire even within the region. The pomposity of the Martians is overcome only by their inability to directly affect matters in our neck of the woods... and when I say that remember that I am a proud Frenchman, so for me to note another's overweening pride is a sign that they probably rub everyone the wrong way.

Viva La - gently caress and Yes. Weakening of the Akhillian body politic is vital. Not only will destabilization make them slower to react to our initiatives and outreach to our neighbors, but it will provide vital tactical opportunities if and when things go hot. Yes, there is the the risk that the Akhillians respond by moving up their timetables for attack. But this is our single best option for winning this struggle without having to fire a shot.

Main Engineering (150 tons) - Yes. A reliable mothership is a godsend, especially given its vast range.

e:shuffled my priorites given this is a RCV ballot

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 2, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I have a question; the systems on the Alexi marked as degraded, does that mean they don't work at all, or that they're currently working but would be improved if we fixed them?

DrinkingBird
Sep 26, 2017
1. Eyes
2. Space Truckin
3. Snooping
4. Scrapper / Grunts - About the same priority so whichever one needs the vote.

Sell Supplies - No.
Martian Hype - No.
Viva La - Yes.

Main Engineering (150 tons) - Yes.

e: Changed vote 4 from Armed and Operational.

DrinkingBird fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 30, 2021

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Bremen posted:

I have a question; the systems on the Alexi marked as degraded, does that mean they don't work at all, or that they're currently working but would be improved if we fixed them?

Those work, they're just below their original NASDT specs. This option basically mean restoring full functionality to the listed components.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Eyes definitely gets my top pick. Being blind was an issue in the last op, and if we're going to stich these trojans into a cohesive whole we need to see what's going on. For those who don't play Aurora/don't want to do the math, a 200 strength tracking station would let us see our destroyer at about 30 million km at full speed, or a little over 80 million km if they light off their active sensors. That... uh, probably still doesn't mean much. Here:

It won't let us see everything, especially not smaller ships being stealthy, but at the very least we should get warning of any large forces lurking around the neighborhood. And we'll definitely see any fights going on in this area. A good buy for so little resources.

Grunts gets my second pick, less because I'm worried about defending from Achillean invasions, who if they ever feel actually threatened will probably just blast Hektor from space, than I expect we'll be need to do an invasion or two to unite our little cluster.

Legitimate Salvage: It's our only option that gets us another combat ship, and that's really what we need.

Space Truckin: Having a freighter (that doesn't involve diverting our flagship from combat duties) will be nice if we actually get anywhere with building an alliance.

My thoughts on the ones I didn't pick:
Snooping: A stealth scout isn't bad but won't help us directly in a fight, and we'd need to know where to send it anyways. Eyes fills a similar role but better unless we're in Achillean space.
Scrapper: Not a bad pick but hopefully we can focus on capturing ships instead of wrecking them completely. Also it's not going anywhere.
Armed and Operational: The destroyer is in decent fighting shape already. The main bonus would be improving the microwave, which would probably buy us better fire rate and range, and improving the fire control which would slightly increase accuracy but not by a lot, as it already outranges the ship's weapons.

Sell Supplies: Nope, but use them for bribes if needed.
Martian Hype: No, we don't want to get a reputation as sellouts.
Viva La: Yes, this is probably worth it even if it gets in the way of our other projects - we're not ready to fight the Achilleans directly.

Combat Information Center for the upgrade. Main Engineering won't matter so much unless we take Ashes on a long trip, and we shouldn't need that too soon. CIC meanwhile will be a big advantage in a fight, even if it's not doing much except giving a small accuracy bonus to the laser.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 30, 2021

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Armed and operational Alexi is gonna be our main firepower. Anything to improve its killing power will do wonders for our power projection.
Snooping Our first mission we got tailed by the achilleans without us realizing it. If we had a dedicated fighter that could find any sneaking warships without getting spotted themselves it will improve our mission success rate/
space truckin The colony ship can be easily refitted from fitting cryogenic pods to cargo pods. Getting more trade will make Hektor more important
scrapper Having a salvage ship in tow will let us break open any ship and take anything of worth before scooting out of there.

No sell supplies plenty of the neighboring politys are povertous. If we can get their good will through medical treatment, that will help us with getting them on our side.
Yes martian hype I didn't state in my previous vote but the one problem i had with inspire is that Hektor doesn't have that specific of an ideology beyond survival to really beguile the local polities with. Getting the Martians to scratch our back will boost our success in succoring polities with promises of freedom and all that jazz. Even if we end up having to do a favor for them in the future, though I think having the martians be amicable to us will help us in the long term.
no viva la I don't think we should poke the achillean bear anymore than we have to. The blasting of the militiades was opportunistic and a necessity if we wanted anything from chiron. Running guns, even through pyotor will signal to the achilleans that they have to deal with us sooner than planned

Main engineering Ashley is awesome, but she is also a big walking target. While she can fight she's using overtuned mining equipment and very few proper military guns. So we should make sure that when she is inevitably fired upon, she can survive. She can shield our fighters and Alexi.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

DelilahFlowers posted:

Snooping Our first mission we got tailed by the achilleans without us realizing it. If we had a dedicated fighter that could find any sneaking warships without getting spotted themselves it will improve our mission success rate/

Ashes already has a similar sensor to what Snooping would have, so it wouldn't have seen them following us unless we'd actually anticipated it and had the stealth scout trail behind us.

That's basically my concern about Snooping - if it lights off its active sensor it isn't stealthy, and if it's using passives it's going to be limited enough we'd have to know where to send it to look for stuff.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Question regarding Viva La

How likely is it to be traced back to us? Will it just be a couple of crates of space-AK47s and space-Semtex falling off a freighter or is it going to be something more involved a-la CIA Mujihadeen?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Question regarding Viva La

How likely is it to be traced back to us? Will it just be a couple of crates of space-AK47s and space-Semtex falling off a freighter or is it going to be something more involved a-la CIA Mujihadeen?

I'm guessing you guys want to do the version where it's not traced to you, and I am but a humble servant.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

1) Eyes. In the last op, we decided to leave the Alexi behind as home guard, partially because of its armaments, but also because without something with sensors parked back at Hektor, it would be totally blind. Fixing up the DSTS would not only vastly improve our visibility over this ad hoc solution, it would allow us to utilize more of our fleet proactively away from the base, which is gonna be useful if we're building up a network of relations with our neighbors for the forseeable future.

2) Armed and Operational. Tying into the above, as XO of the Alexi, I am of course in favor of bolstering its capabilities. Our immediate goals are of course non-hostile economic investment, but our investments must be protected. Having something a bit more threatening floating around might dissuade anyone getting any funny ideas of oppurtunistic piracy while we transport valuables around L4.

3) Space Trucking. Keeping in mind our goal of giving ourselves economic hegemony over nearby colonies, a freighter would be invaluable. It's not a JoveRunner, but it's efficient as all hell, and fills a void in our fleet as an actual commercial vessel.

4) Scrapper. What we need above all else, ultimately, is resources, and in every battle we're likely to face, we will drain resources even if we win. A proper salvage vessel would allow us to recoup some of our investments. This is a longer-term goal of course, ideally we won't be getting in any major battles for a little while longer, but at least if we stumble upon any stray derelicts we can make a quick buck.

NO to Sell Medical Supplies. Pharmaceuticals are high-value low-mass goods that would fetch a good few bucks, sure, but desperate sick people are vastly moreso. Promoting civilian traffic to and from Hektor can only benefit us (potential saboteurs aside, so some vetting at the drop-off is necessary, but whatever). Besides, it's not just drugs, it's equipment that we can get a lot of use out of. It'll help our rep to be the medical hub of the area, as long as we aren't too price-gougey about it.

NO to Martian Hype. If the other peoples of L4 are anything like us, they view these broadcasts as patronizing and overly idealistic, not to mention with an undercurrent of "nice" imperialism. Besides, they might think we're a Martian toady.

YES to Viva la. Assuming this is NOT traced back to us (because holy poo poo the blowback would be bad, Akhilles might decide to force the issue and we may lose the trust of our would-be coalition), it would be very nice to tie them up for a bit and give us more time to build ourselves up.

Main Engineering. The Ashes is a carrier, and it's more important that it remain in one piece than how effectively it itself can join the fray. Of course this is only a suggestion, the decision is ultimately up to Vice Admiral Sniper and Captain Saros.

(edited given consideration of how actually untraceable the Viva la operation would be)

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 30, 2021

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

What are the basic specs of the Militades? Legitimate salvage is tempting, as Bremen says, because it gets us a new combat ship. However depending on what systems she has the high cost may not be worth it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

1. Scrapper
2. Space Truckin
3. Eyes
4. Legitimate Salvage

Sell Supplies: No
Martian Hype: No
Viva La: Yes

Main Engineering

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 6, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

BwenGun posted:

What are the basic specs of the Militades? Legitimate salvage is tempting, as Bremen says, because it gets us a new combat ship. However depending on what systems she has the high cost may not be worth it.

We know it's about twice the tonnage of our converted Steregushes, and in Discord Fray said it's similar to them but bigger and correspondingly tougher, and basically a bog standard warship for the current era (which is to say, clumsily converted to have guns).

Aurora has several efficiencies of scale that favor larger ships, so all other things being equal it would probably be at an advantage against two Steregushes (and two is all we have). Of course, Fray is using some very thematic custom designs so all other things are probably not equal, but that's about where I'd spitball it. It wouldn't rate against the Ashes or the Alexi, upgrades or no, but would otherwise be our strongest ship and a major boost to our navy.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 30, 2021

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Projects

Eyes - Light Expense - 1st - we're fighting for control of the local volume, knowing what's there will be hugely valuable

Legitimate Salvage - Heavy Expense - 2nd - having another hull, being able to do things in two places at once is important in and of itself. Pincer maneuvers, picket ships, detached operations, you name it

Space Truckin - Light-Moderate Expense - 3nd - important for our bribery strategy

Grunts - Light Expense - 4th - we're probably going to need to scoot the achilleans out of a rock before this is done

Strategy Decisions

Sell Supplies - No, use for Bribes

Martian Hype - Yes, better that we look like we're trying to combine martian idealism with frontier practicalities than that we're trying to muscle in on their shtick

Viva La - Yes. Space bay of space pigs? What's that, never heard of it.

Combat Information Center (150 tons) - As noted, we're not going far afield yet. Better we be as effective as possible in the battlefield we have than able to leave

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Can't post the stat block right now, but Miltiades is a solid fighter by postwar standards. She'd get dunked on by Alexi but so would almost anything else in the cluster. She does represent more raw firepower than upgrading a few things on Alexi, hence the higher cost.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Alright

Eyes
Armed and Operational
Legitimate Salvage
Space Truckin

All the ships, all the time. Why have one warship when you can have 2? Having more muscle also means more reassurance when it comes to convincing the other rocks that we can legitimately defend them against the Achileans in the event of hostilities.

Having more ships also means better coverage. There's less of a chance the enemy can spread their fleet to threaten multiple entities.

Sell Supplies - gently caress no for reasons already well expounded.
Martians - Not even with a space-bargepole
Viva-La - Sure, what's the worst few Space-AK47s, Space-Semtex and Space-RPGs gonna do eh?

Upgrade - CIC

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Hello everyone, Boat Stuck here on behalf of the Hektor Shipwrights' and Dockworkers' Union.

We suggest the following for the good of our colony and our comrades across the sector:

Projects
Eyes - Light Expense.
Legitimate Salvage - Heavy Expense
Snooping - Light Expense

Now you may be thinking, why Militiades ? And we agree, there are some good arguments against it: (1). It's a lot of resources for a ship that's only okay, (2). a stronger Pyotr fleet could be good for us, in that they can help us out in a pinch but we won't have to pay for repairs and upkeep, and (3). no matter how hard we scrub the paint and change out the surface panels, us suddenly having another ship after decades of stagnation--right after the League lost one--will raise a lot of questions with obvious answers.

However, the Militiades has a critical advantage:

Furthermore, while upgrading the Alexi will indirectly improve its firepower, the addition of a new ship will significantly increase our offensive potential.

And as the General Secretary used to say, quantity has a quality all its own.

In addition, acquiring the Militiades does not preclude us from simultaneously taking on two additional "light" projects:

Of which, the ability to get better information, both defensively (Eyes) and offensively (Snooping) are obviously the most important.

Nor does acquiring the Militiades now preclude us from upgrading the Alexi later.

Similarly, we can complete the Space Trucking project later as well, after we have a trade network setup among our neighbors.

But if we do not negotiate for the Militiades right now, it's gone forever.

Strategy Decisions

Sell Supplies - No.

Martian Hype - No. They sound like imperialistic capitalist pigs.

Viva La - YES. Workers of the world unite! If there are resource limitations for doing Viva La along with everything else, see if we can roll to convince Pyotr that helping us supply space freedom fighters with space stingers also helps them out in the long term, and save on resources that way.

edit: changing to
Combat Information Center (150 tons)
- the best defense is a good offense, etc etc

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 30, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Bremen posted:

Ashes already has a similar sensor to what Snooping would have, so it wouldn't have seen them following us unless we'd actually anticipated it and had the stealth scout trail behind us.

That's basically my concern about Snooping - if it lights off its active sensor it isn't stealthy, and if it's using passives it's going to be limited enough we'd have to know where to send it to look for stuff.

I'd argue that having the stealth scout screening our primary force should be doctrine. Heck, if we can get two that's even better since we'll always be able to have one up and active. It should be like modern militaries and AWACS, you always ALWAYS have your eye in the sky up during any type of operation. Yes, we might have an issue if we're caught with the scout in the wrong place, but having what's essentially a hard to detect picket is going to mean we don't get surprised.

For those who know Aurora, what does the following mean?

quote:

Civilian EM Sensor EM1.0-8.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 8 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 22.4m km
Thermal Sensor TH1.0-8.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 8 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 22.4m km

I'm assuming these are both passive sensors, but is that detecting 1000 tons of ship 22.4m km out? How far out could it detect something like the Militiades using just its passive array? Something like the Alexi? Something like our rock hoppers?

DrinkingBird
Sep 26, 2017
Kinda selling me on the limited utility of the Alexi upgrade especially in comparison to an entirely new warship. Too bad the Militiades is still too expensive for me to even consider without heaps of FOMO. For the price of the big expensive choices we could get most if not all of the light options without having to sell off any precious medical supplies and I think I'd ultimately prefer that considering our strategic goals. I'm gonna let Pyotr have his new toy and hope that the Achilleans don't get too trigger happy before we get the chance to make allies and get new ships.

Changing my 4 vote from Armed and Operational to either Scrapper or Grunts.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

@Fray and Bremen, thank you for the responses!

Projects

1 - Eyes - As others have said having a better idea of what's going on in the cluster is going to be worth it's weight in gold.
2 - Legitimate Salvage - Fully agree with Bremen and others here, a new hull is a far better deal than upgrading the Alexi.
3 - Space Truckin - Freighters are super useful. Especially in bolstering in-cluster trade to promote unity.
4 - Grunts - Boots on the ground are really versatile.

As for the rest, my thoughts:

Snooping - Not immediately useful, and will likely only be useful situationaly in the future.

Scrapper - Useful, but it's not going anywhere and hopefully we can capture enemy vessels and re-use them, rather than stripping for parts.

Armed and Operational - As Bremen has said, useful. But less usefull than a new hull.

Strategy Decisions

Sell Supplies - No. With the cryotubes we'll be ripping out of the Chiron colony ship, plus all the medicine and equipment we should be able to turn Hektor into the medical hub for the entire sector. Which will not only help us with soft power and our goals of uniting our neighbours, but may well be a decent source of economic growth in the long term both from outside sources paying for treatment and the general uplift in productivity that a healthy population brings.

Martian Hype - No. Given how little we know about the inner systems political landscape it's not wise to be seen as picking sides.

Viva La - Yes. Giving space guerillas AK47s and Semtex can't possibly go wrong for us in the longterm.

Combat Information Center (150 tons)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd argue that having the stealth scout screening our primary force should be doctrine. Heck, if we can get two that's even better since we'll always be able to have one up and active. It should be like modern militaries and AWACS, you always ALWAYS have your eye in the sky up during any type of operation. Yes, we might have an issue if we're caught with the scout in the wrong place, but having what's essentially a hard to detect picket is going to mean we don't get surprised.

For those who know Aurora, what does the following mean?

I'm assuming these are both passive sensors, but is that detecting 1000 tons of ship 22.4m km out? How far out could it detect something like the Militiades using just its passive array? Something like the Alexi? Something like our rock hoppers?

Ok, time for Aurora 107: Passive signatures and detection! I hope everyone loves calculating square roots!

First off is signatures. They're basically how visible a ship is to passive sensors, and there's two types, thermal and EM. Thermal is produced by a ship's engines, and by power sources (signs of industrial activity) on a colony - this means that ships can reduce, but not eliminate, their thermal signature by moving slower than they would normally. EM signatures are created by turning active sensors on, by populations on a colony, and by active shields - which don't seem to be mentioned anywhere, so if we start seeing shield signatures it might mean the aliens are invading and we're all dead anyways, so we'll ignore shields for now.

Generally, the smaller and slower a ship is the lower its thermal signature, but EM signature from sensors varies wildly (frequently purpose built warships will have bigger ones though). Let's look at the huge block of numbers for a humble Steregush:

code:
Steregush class Armed Rockhopper 1,298 tons 35 Crew 138.2 BP TCS 26 TH 31 EM 0
1196 km/s Armour 3-10 Shields 0-0 HTK 12 Sensors 8/8/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 3
Maint Life 5.93 Years MSP 113 AFR 67% IFR 0.9% 1YR 5 5YR 82 Max Repair 20 MSP
Commander Control Rating 1 BRG
Intended Deployment Time: 2 months Morale Check Required

Retrofitted Rockhopper NTE EP31.05-0.9-345t (1) Power 31.0 Fuel Use 185.02% Signature 31.05 Explosion 9%
Fuel Capacity 5,500 Litres Range 0.4 billion km (3 days at full power)

Decrepit 10cm C3 Infrared Laser (1) Range 30,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 3-3 RM 10,000 km ROF 5
Fire Control Computer R80-TS1250 (SW) (70%) (1) Max Range: 80,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 27 23 20 16 12 8 4 0 0 0
Technodinamika Pressurised Water Reactor R3 (1) Total Power Output 3.1 Exp 5%

Picket Active Search Sensor AS13-R20 (70%) (1) GPS 200 Range 13.7m km Resolution 20
Civilian EM Sensor EM1.0-8.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 8 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 22.4m km
All those numbers mean something, and the top line has the basic Thermal and EM signatures: TH 31 EM 0. No shields, so no default EM signature, but it has a thermal of 31.

But! It also has active sensors. Near the bottom is "Picket Active Search Sensor AS13-R20 (70%) (1) GPS 200 Range 13.7m km Resolution 20". The relevant bit here is GPS, or Gravitic Pulse Strength (I think). Turning the sensor on will create a strength 200 pulse that will light up passive EM sensors all over the cluster.

The next factor is Passive sensor strength - bigger sensors can pick up weaker signatures. There we look at the second line: "Sensors 8/8/0/0" This means it has Strength 8 EM and Strenght 8 Thermal sensors, which can also be seen in the bottom two lines (the two 0s refer to other types of sensors for conducting surveys and can be ignored right now).

Then, if we're really dedicated, we plug those numbers into the passive sensor formula: Detection Range = SQRT(Passive Sensor Strength * Target Signature ) * 250,000 km. The sensor strength is 8, so we can determine a Steregush will detech another Steregush at full speed from 3.94m km, or see it turning on its active sensors at 10m km. If you look at the stats on the first page you can do similar numbers for our other ships. This also shows that the 200 strength passives from the Eyes project are really quite powerful compared to most passives we have.

Active sensors use a different system: When off, they don't see anything. When on, they have a range and a resolution. If you go back to the ship description, the top has another number, "TCS 26". This stands for Target Cross Section, and is simply how big the ship is. If the target's TCS is higher than the active's resolution, it detects them if it's within range. If it's less, then the range is reduced to Range/(TCS/Resolution)². So our monstrous flagship, with its Range 34.4m km Resolution 80 sensor, can see very big ships from 34.4m km but against a Steregush that would be reduced to 3.63m km.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 30, 2021

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Since it was mentioned - the old navies did have basic shield tech. You just haven't encountered shields cause you're mostly seeing postwar stuff or smaller vessels. Shields in C# benefit from scale so they're terrible on small classes.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

DrinkingBird posted:

Changing my 4 vote from Armed and Operational to either Scrapper or Grunts.

If you want to change your vote, please either update or blank out your original post. Otherwise I'm likely to make a mistake tallying.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

1: Space Trucker - Light-Moderate Expense
2: Scrapper - Light Expense
3: Grunts - Light Expense
4: Eyes - Light Expense

All of these give upgrades to our ground units, better long range scanning (given we got hit bad last time by our inability to spot things and it nearly lead to a mission abort). It also gives us the ability to in the future get better trade opportunities and salvage ships. Also all of these are relatively cheap in turn and save resources. The upgrades are more long term in nature - they might not all pay off now but are very useful in the future. If our destroyer switches to active sensors then we're basically in combat so a change to that won't really make a big difference since we tell everywhere where we are.

While we don't have a lot of opportunities to get new ships, The Militades is an 'all or nothing' sort of thing and for it's size is pretty expensive. Ashes doesn't really need more weapons - she's capable of outgunning anything in the sector anyways, and if we encounter things that are an even fight we run. She's our ace in the hole, and if she gets badly damaged even if she 'wins' in a fight that's our best strategic option ruined for however long it takes for repairs and severely limits us. We want to avoid situations where seh's at risk ina ll cases.

My priorities - space trucker at first, means we have better long term economics, which is hugely imprortant for bribing so we can trade more effectively. Highest priority. Scrapper - means we can salvage things which are blown up or pick up general junk in space for upgrades or that we can always consider having to trade/bribe with. Grunts - makes our soldiers better but also situational as we might not need to do ground invasions beyond small ones anytime soon. Eyes - situational in general just as we need ot know where the enemy is to launch our snooper so it can't really be a better scout with no huge sensor advantage. But it's stealthy so we can use it for recon. But niche/situational so lowest prirority.

Sell Supplies No As the others have said, useful in the long term because we can trad ethem for big things down the line just given how downtrodden folks are. And we can't expect necessaril to have trade right away or travel.

Martians No we don't know what the political situation is and we don't want to risk something without knowing the cost/benefit or what it costs down the line.

Viva La Yes this is what we aim to do long term, plus it keeps the Achilieans at home, and slows them down and gives us possible advantages down the line. Even if they note it's us the'll be delayed anyways.

Engineering The Ashes outguns most things already and we want to avoid equal fights. Having her have better engineering makes her more reliable, lets us do damage control better if we do getinto a fight, and lets us have a more realistic chance of taking longer term missions or not having to deal with glitches.

All of my thoughts revolve around that with 'light' expeses we can get more things/afford them and have more options to us in the future and not put a ton of resources into things which are situational and under the assumption we avoid big combat and if we do go up against things which we can take on fairly handily.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 30, 2021

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
1: Space Trucker Bribery Truck, plus general purpose economic stuff. Torn between asking to make it a mobile hospital ship or a salvager.
2: Snooper A sensor platform just for my flight, how thoughtful.
3: Armed and Operational Better microwave weapons = more disabled ships = more stuff for us. And easier escort runs with the boarding shuttles.
4: Scrapper I can't imagine wrecks going unsalvaged for long in this area.

Don't Sell Ideally combine it with our new freighter into a mobile hospital ship.
No Martian Hype Don't want to be associated with those ineffectual broadcasts.
Viva La Revolucion A farewell to small arms.

Main Engineering One step closer to having fighter repair facilities built into Ashes.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
CONFIDENTIAL
TO: CENTRAL COMMITTEE

Upon review and reflection vis-a-vis our next steps, my thoughts:

Projects
1. Space Trucking
2. Scrapper
3. Eyes

We need to bootstrap, and the faster we do so the faster we can begin truly projecting power. Dedicating some of those resources to seeing what's coming our way is just good sense.

Strategy
No
No
No

While we could likely get away with covert support for discontented elements within the League, the remote chance that we may be discovered while still in a relatively precarious state tilts me against the proposal.

Upgrade
As much as I've love a new room for my Big Chair, Main Engineering.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 1, 2021

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Given I as Supreme Awesome Admiral CNO am getting a new Comfy Chair, you're welcome to my old one!

It has a built in massager /and/ vodka cooler.

And some of those automated palm fronds for fanning.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Here's Miltiades. Like I said, totally average fare as postwar combatants go. I'd let you make small changes to her if you bought/rebuilt her.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
"Unstable Pressurized Water Reactor"? I like the sound of that!

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

"Unstable Pressurized Water Reactor"? I like the sound of that!

Yep, the Achilleans cut some safety shutdown systems which saves tonnage while increasing the secondary explosion chance (from 5% to 10%). A very popular move in postwar conversion jobs! You guys could undo it if you want. It would just slow her a little due to the added weight.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Lean and mean, you say? I like the sound of that!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's like a built-in scuttling device, if it's shot enough to disable it it increases the chance of catastrophic failure, denying useful salvage to the enemy.

It obviously didn't work, but points for spitefulness.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Projects
1. Legitimate Salvage, I'm convinced over upgrading our existing warship.
2. Eyes
3. Space Trucking
4. Scrapper

Strategy
1. Viva La, particularly for getting information, investing now will pay off over time.
2. Sell Supplies - Hoarding life-saving supplies could go over poorly for us if people learn we are doing it intentionally, though the goonmind has spoken on this already it seems.
3. No Martian Hype

Ashes Upgrade
1. Main Engineering seems like a good way for things to not go pearshaped on our pride and joy ship, while the tactical upgrade is a more flat bonus to effectiveness. I prefer the insurance.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 2, 2021

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

Projects
1. Eyes
2. Scrapper
3. Space Truckin
4. Grunts

Strategy
1. No to selling supplies.
2. No to martian hype.
3. Yes to viva la.

Upgrades
Main Engineering! Keeping the girl running should be the priority.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
1. Legitimate Salvage - While I'm all in favor of going hard on our economic plan, the opportunity to get another hull for the fleet is too invaluable to ignore.

2. Space Trucking Seems pretty solid, we can use that hull for something more useful, yank out the cryo tubes (use them in medical) and start hulling good stuff.

3. Snoop I agree with breman that the DST is useful, but having a mobile set of eyes would be really helpful at this stage, of nothing else so we have a flexible scout to keep an eye out on the current space situations at some of the places we're looking as as prospects.

4. Eyes Even with the snoop having a stationary passive system (and the ability to make more) is something we shouldn't pass up.

Don't Sell, its harsh, but we need the supplies and if we can make Hektor a medical tourism hub, so much the better. If we can somehow incorporate the salvaged cryo bay into medical, well suddenly we've just gained the option to house 20,000 people who might need care but need time to be triaged/sorted based on their medical costs. Hell some Teucer Sorium tycoon might keep a bay or two reserved to make sure he can keep his hide secure.

No Martian Hype Lets not badmouth them to keep options open down the line, but no need to try and suck up to/emulate the guys the whole cluster think are dorks.

Yes to the Viva Considering we pulled a bunch of small arms off the Ark, it sounds like they might not have much of a record in the cluster, and what better use for untracable firearms...

Engineering - Gotta keep the ole girl happy.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

1. Eyes
2. Legitimate Salvage
3. Space Truckin
4. Snooping

Sell Supplies No
Martian Hype No
Viva la Yes

Engineering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
What does the Achilles navy look like? You mentioned that they have a cruiser, and the sloop was a "typical" ship. Just how large is their fleet? I have to assume that with space this small, secrets can't be kept for too long.