Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
house of leaves is real

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I hate the maths questions designed to trick you. Like throwing in a random negative question in some poorly written and incredibly clunky way.

"Billy has a box of ten apples. Jenny takes three. Timmy takes one and gives it to Jenny. How many apples doesn't Billy have?"

Or "Choose the least incorrect answer" after 20 questions asking to choose the correct answer.

Then you get to university and not once, ever, do they pull bullshit like that.

I had a professor in community college whose final exam once had a multiple choice question on the weekly price of new york strip steak

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I had a professor in community college whose final exam once had a multiple choice question on the weekly price of new york strip steak

weird flex but ok

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why can't professors serve NY strip steak while asking the multiple choice question of how much do you like this steak a lot a little or very much???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I wonder what caused that. Air/comms duct in an old building, or did someone just forget to provision that space for a closet on the floor above?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Former dumbwaiter is my guess

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Deteriorata posted:

Oh, no!
There goes Tokyo
Jo- Jo- Jolene!

History shows again & again
She'll steal your boyfriend just because she can
JO-LENE

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wonder what caused that. Air/comms duct in an old building, or did someone just forget to provision that space for a closet on the floor above?

It's to accomodate the tall lean type of Boogeyman, duh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Indoor grow op for coconuts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thing I want to know is who the gently caress plastered it all the way to the top?

You would basically be loving buried alive at the top of a 20ft ladder.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Do it normal then knock out the floor and board up the entrance on the floor above.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Build it on its side then tip it upwards

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/tAWn5Js.gifv

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd install a fireman's pole so I could slide down from the second floor and probably injure myself.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd install a fireman's pole so I could slide down from the second floor and probably injure myself.

You don't need a 25ft tall ceiling to break your arse on a fireman's pole in the closet

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

boofhead posted:

You don't need a 25ft tall ceiling to break your arse on a fireman's pole in the closet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT3BHuxCFz8

Eddie Vedder realized he had three closets in his house connected and ripped out the floors and put in a fire pole.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

boofhead posted:

Though if you did it was probably worth it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Omnitrix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT3BHuxCFz8

Eddie Vedder realized he had three closets in his house connected and ripped out the floors and put in a fire pole.

this is awesome but feels insanely dangerous.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Eddie Vedder writes a song inside Yoda’s house

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Somehow it’s best it comes from that end.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

dialhforhero posted:

ObLigatory:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

White poop? I didn't know Shrek had a cloaca.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03ZQhEgylk

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

dialhforhero posted:

Fool. It's green the other way:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Whooping Crabs posted:

White poop? I didn't know Shrek had a cloaca.

Sounds like there's a lot about Shrek you don't know about. Did you even read the wiki?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Also, is the narrator Orson Welles?

the narrator is paul frees, an amazing voice. check his imdb page and be enlightened

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/robdubbin/status/1155490752237101056

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A lot of the weird or dumb or obtusely worded maths questions that end up on standardised tests are trying to assess kids' understanding of the properties of operations. You'll see stupidly contrived poo poo like "Billy has some money in his bank account. Then he spent $46 at a restaurant and $32 at the supermarket and now he has $65 left. How much money did Billy have at the start?" and what they're assessing (badly) is that you're combining things to get a total which requires addition, instead of subtraction which is what most kids think as soon as they see a problem that involves spending money.

This kind of problem is fine although a bit boring and contrived as a teaching tool, bit you can give kids materials to work with and model the problem and poo poo and they have time to hit that point of "65 - 46 - 32 goes below zero that doesn't seem right" and then have it explained to them or they can go back to their model and have another go or whatever. That's valuable learning.

But in a test it's stupid trickery, a lot of kids will get it wrong simply because they haven't read the question carefully or haven't thought about it carefully, so you're not getting a representation of their maths skills or ability.

anyway, TL;DR standardised tests are dumb as poo poo

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

dee eight posted:

the narrator is paul frees, an amazing voice. check his imdb page and be enlightened
I posted a link to some of his awesome Haunted Mansion work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

boofhead posted:

I do.

:colbert:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i'll never have build-your-own-house money, but those who do and don't put secret put secret passages/chambers in their design are legitimately criminals, sociopaths, dangerous individuals

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chard posted:

i'll never have build-your-own-house money, but those who do and don't put secret put secret passages/chambers in their design are legitimately criminals, sociopaths, dangerous individuals

Or Grover, for short

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I dream of building my own house over an abandoned missile silo.

Like a cute little ranch house and then behind the bookshelf is a staircase to a zillion square foot 20 story generic FPS video game level.

Finally a place to display all my funko pops.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GrumpySkeletor/status/1410271255392141316?s=20

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Someone's never had a pet cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015