Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

exquisite tea posted:

Don't tell me you never feel a deep yearning for the :wom: of a degaussed monitor.

I would just like to mention that the excellent Duskers has a degauss option you can use when the screen gets all manky and it's great.

The game is fascinating as well by the way. But it relies on buy-in, you really need to play this alone in a dark room, preferrably with headphones on, and become the drone operator seeing everything through a set of monitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6c10EN1oNc

Seriously, great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

theyre emulating it bcos it looks good, which is also why no ones emulating n64 style

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Antigravitas posted:

I would just like to mention that the excellent Duskers has a degauss option you can use when the screen gets all manky and it's great.

The game is fascinating as well by the way. But it relies on buy-in, you really need to play this alone in a dark room, preferrably with headphones on, and become the drone operator seeing everything through a set of monitors.

Seriously, great game.

Yesss Duskers is great! I've had some harrowing moments playing that game. Sudden collapses in a derelict spaceship. Upsettingly fast aliens.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stux posted:

theyre emulating it bcos it looks good, which is also why no ones emulating n64 style

:yeah:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Antigravitas posted:

Seriously, great game.
Duskers is unbelievably good for like the first 5-7 hours and then you realize that you've seen basically everything in it. It's a real shame because the atmosphere is phenomenally done.

Then again, :10bux: for 5-7 amazing hours is probably worth it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What’s that PS1 looking game with the neon vomit colors that looks like a fever dream and is named something like Misery Squad? I can’t find it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cruelty squad

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Stux posted:

The wrongest take.

People have nostalgia for the PSX because they had one. As an art style, it looks like absolute dogshit. There are far more games with the N64-esque crisp often solid color polygons and textures for detail aesthetic than there are the vertex imprecision/affine texture mapping/no texture filtering PSX style. You just don't tend to look at games and think they look N64-like because they just look good.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 30, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

cruelty squad

Lol thank you. Someone upthread called it EYE 2. Should I go in with that? I had a dream about buying it last night and I kinda wanna go in blind.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it looks neat in a hylics/thecatamites sort of way to me but i've just tossed it on the ol' wishlist for now myself so i cannot say

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Begemot posted:

I can't imagine fighting Sulyvahn without summoned help, it really feels like he was designed for it.

In the end this is what I did, it was simply beyond me. I summoned two phantoms and it still took a few tries. The furthest I got on my own was the second phase, and I had to equip the ring that gives you extra dodging i-frames just to make it that far. I think this was the first fight in any of the Souls games where I had that sinking feeling, I knew in my heart that I just cannot beat it on my own and no amount of attempts would make a difference. Contrast to Sir Alonne or whomever where I died dozens of times but it still felt doable. Sulyvahn did not feel doable.

Also contrast to Aldrich who is pissing me off because he feels so easy but I'm so goddamn bad at this game that it's taking way longer than it should. Game's really shaken my confidence in the last few hours.

edit:

John Murdoch posted:

My advice, that may or may not be worth a dang: If dodging is failing you, try dodging in a fundamentally different direction. Most of the time I fall into the trap of only rolling to the right, and then it turns out if you roll to the left every one of the boss's attacks is completely neutered. Backwards dodging is also often a good option.

I'm the opposite in that I naturally dodge left or back first. But yeah I eventually try to become aware of those patterns and try to change them up, though it usually takes a few stubborn deaths to get there. In this specific case literally nothing worked for me, at all - at least not consistently. Maybe if I had more stamina I could've chained more dodges and then been fine, I don't know. But it felt like his attack combos were too long and too fast, and he was attacking too often. If he was meant to be the final boss I can only hope there's nobody as tough as him remaining. I know Sister Friede's supposed to be really hard as well, though... I guess we'll see.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 30, 2021

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

buglord posted:

Lol thank you. Someone upthread called it EYE 2. Should I go in with that? I had a dream about buying it last night and I kinda wanna go in blind.

It's a legitimately good tactical shooter with some inventive gameplay and pretty good on the "this is loving weird" front as well. Well worth it

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 30, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is Dishonored: Death of the Outsider? I did like what I played of Dishonored 2, though I never did complete it (Thought that said I do tend to fall off games. This is also me an Prey, which is keeping me from playing Mooncrash)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

K8.0 posted:

The wrongest take.

People have nostalgia for the PSX because they had one. As an art style, it looks like absolute dogshit. There are far more games with the N64-esque crisp often solid color polygons and textures for detail aesthetic than there are the vertex imprecision/affine texture mapping/no texture filtering PSX style. You just don't tend to look at games and think they look N64-like because they just look good.

i had an n64 lol ps1 is like pixel art of early 3d, looks cool. n64 games look bad. stay mad

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As usual during these sales, I'm handing out games:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, mention your favorite genre(s), get a game. In return, write a brief review here and \ or ride the Gift Train.

If you got a game last year \ before that and neither rode nor wrote, make amends now. I definitely remember and care about whether or not you did.

(Kinda forgot about this for a few days, being busy IRL)

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Dishonored: Death of the Outsider?

I bounced really hard off of it because of the lack of customisation and the weird mana system. It felt more limited in how you could navigate the world and I quit two hours in because the playstyle it wanted to push you toward wasn't something I really enjoyed.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
i think they both kinda look like crap, if you're gonna emulate an old style stick to low-res pixel stuff, if you're gonna make it 3d do it properly. Same reason I'd be happy to go play some SNES games and often do but have less than no desire to play any ps1 or n64 game at this point.

This is why, imo, Prodeus looks so much better than most boomer shooters, because it uses pixelated sprites instead of primitive 3d low-polygon stuff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nah stuff like anodyne 2 and fatum betula look sick, some of my faovrite gaming vistas. also prodeus is low poly 3d with a filter to make it look 2d lol

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://news.yahoo.com/news/platform-launches-bring-tv-ads-130030579.html

Awesome! Can't wait!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stux posted:

nah stuff like anodyne 2 and fatum betula look sick, some of my faovrite gaming vistas. also prodeus is low poly 3d with a filter to make it look 2d lol

anodyne 2 makes me desperately want a new 3d rayman

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

quote:

Marketers need a way to reach younger gaming audiences ages 18-34 that are mostly cord-cutters.
Younger age, but totally not children. Which is why their test was on Smite, a 12+ game, and their examples of targeted games includes Fortnite and Roblox.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry to pull the thread back after we've moved but: lol
https://twitter.com/DreamcastGuy/status/1410322895226671106?s=20

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sway Grunt posted:

In the end this is what I did, it was simply beyond me. I summoned two phantoms and it still took a few tries. The furthest I got on my own was the second phase, and I had to equip the ring that gives you extra dodging i-frames just to make it that far. I think this was the first fight in any of the Souls games where I had that sinking feeling, I knew in my heart that I just cannot beat it on my own and no amount of attempts would make a difference. Contrast to Sir Alonne or whomever where I died dozens of times but it still felt doable. Sulyvahn did not feel doable.

Also contrast to Aldrich who is pissing me off because he feels so easy but I'm so goddamn bad at this game that it's taking way longer than it should. Game's really shaken my confidence in the last few hours.

edit:

I'm the opposite in that I naturally dodge left or back first. But yeah I eventually try to become aware of those patterns and try to change them up, though it usually takes a few stubborn deaths to get there. In this specific case literally nothing worked for me, at all - at least not consistently. Maybe if I had more stamina I could've chained more dodges and then been fine, I don't know. But it felt like his attack combos were too long and too fast, and he was attacking too often. If he was meant to be the final boss I can only hope there's nobody as tough as him remaining. I know Sister Friede's supposed to be really hard as well, though... I guess we'll see.

Yeah, I really can't speak any further on it because I also summoned NPCs to help with him. :v: I forget, what weapon are you using? 'Cuz he does feel like a rare case where if you're lugging something big and slow along you're at a noticeable disadvantage.

I can't guarantee anything, but I'd say all of the remaining *humanoid* bosses are on the fun side of challenging. The non-humanoid ones, on the other hand...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
To Myst or to realMyst?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Dishonored: Death of the Outsider? I did like what I played of Dishonored 2, though I never did complete it (Thought that said I do tend to fall off games. This is also me an Prey, which is keeping me from playing Mooncrash)

mixed. The gameplay is the same as dishonored 2 so you're starting with arkane's best game as a basis, which is good. The new tools are a lot of fun. I much preferred its change to a 100% regenerating magic bar based around a core set of powers. however, the expansion is 5 levels long while very clearly only having had the budget for 2 or 3. For a game so strongly tied to its level design, this is a big problem. in slightly more detail: The first level has to double as a tutorial because the expansion is standalone, so it's simpler and shorter than usual. Two levels are legitimately great, but they share about 50% of their space with each other. One level is mostly copied from dishonored 2. And the last level is 100% linear with extremely little to find or do - it barely feels like a dishonored level at all.

it's worth playing but you should go finish dishonored 2.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

K8.0 posted:

The wrongest take.

incorrect. sorry. try again

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

incorrect. sorry. try again

You're right.

They both look like poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

youre monitor is off

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The remasters actually look pretty drat good.

Agrias120 posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1410269185960120320?s=20
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1410269551107874820?s=20

I'm really coming around to the pixel art updates (especially the battle backgrounds). But, uh, yikes at that font choice.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rinkles posted:

To Myst or to realMyst?

Honestly, it might be better to wait and see how the brand spanking new version shakes out once it makes it off Oculus.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I like seeing twitter randos talk about how nobody is going to buy the pixel remasters of Final Fantasy for that price, then looking at the Steam top selling list and the bundle is sitting at #4.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

bentacos posted:

I like seeing twitter randos talk about how nobody is going to buy the pixel remasters of Final Fantasy for that price, then looking at the Steam top selling list and the bundle is sitting at #4.

On my feed most of the hate is at the font, which does look incredibly out of place

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anyone who pays that much for those games, is truly beyond saving

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean people were going to but it regardless of what it looked like

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

On my feed most of the hate is at the font, which does look incredibly out of place

The retro thread agrees but seems to think that they picked that font because it looks ok in kanji.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

The retro thread agrees but seems to think that they picked that font because it looks ok in kanji.

That doesn’t make any sense. Kanji would be a completely different font.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only one that seems worth buying imo is FF3 since it’s the first time a version of the NES game will be released in English instead of the worse DS remake.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

sorry to pull the thread back after we've moved but: lol
https://twitter.com/DreamcastGuy/status/1410322895226671106?s=20

i was about ready to say "well the spritework isn't that execrable" earlier but it definitely is that in the context of seventy-five dollars

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah ill buy it. buy it a spot in my retroarch library that is and also never play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Every Final Fantasy is a lie anyway.