Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
A good deal on some good bluegrass here. Sturgill Simpson - Cutting Grass Vol. 2

Picked up this and 4 others for $35 shipped using promo code MASTODON. Found some suggestions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Aaaaannnnddddd... side 1 of the analog No Fences is a skipping disaster.

Already have a return/replace with Amazon.

Goddammit.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Goddammit.

That's no good.

I listened to No Fences last night and surprisingly enjoyed it quite a bit.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

NGL, would listen to this all the way through at least once.

All my rowdy friends have settled down in the vein of hip to be square, for example.

I should probably get some Huey Lewis CDs just in case I get pulled over sometime. I had a home inspection back in NC and had some Hee-Haw DVDs displayed prominently and passed with flying colors.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Adding “hee haw DVD’s” to my shopping list.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

stealie72 posted:

Goddammit.

One finger curls on the monkey's paw.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
I'm on vacation, and both the wife and I enjoy digging through thrift stores. Found a Goodwill that had, along with Firestone Christmas and Sing Along With Mitch, a bunch of Paul Revere and the Raiders albums. They were trashed, natch, but one stood out:

Someone either really hated “I'm Not Your Stepping Stone,” or they hated someone who loved it. I've never seen such tactical destruction.

It's just mean.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 1, 2021

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
lol that rules. I love getting a record with like notes written in it or a heart next to a song on the track list. That’s next level though.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Stan Taylor posted:

lol that rules. I love getting a record with like notes written in it or a heart next to a song on the track list. That’s next level though.

I have a local punk compilation from circa 1980 that’s autographed by one of the bands featured and they wrote poo poo about the album’s producer on the liner notes.

Wonko the Sane
Nov 23, 2004
I got these over the last week. I wasn't a fan of any of the bands, and hadn't even heard of a couple of them before, but the art on all of them was done by my favorite comic artist, Sam Kieth.

I'm digging the Giant Squid and Runnamucks albums. The Groovie Ghoulies 45 is pretty good, too. Still warming up to Matt K Shrugg, though.

Josh from the Runnamucks was awesome enough to throw this in with Clawing Back, and even wrote a thank you on the mailing packaging.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah:

Black Dice was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Anyone on the edge about cutting grass vol2 up above should go for it. It’s a rad album, I saw some complaints about the pressing, but mine doesn’t have any volume/noise issues.

I have some box sets that I want to sell, anyone have any mailers they like or use to send oversized things? I think the boxes are about 13”x13”x1”

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toe Rag posted:

:hellyeah:

Black Dice was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
There's a tour, too! They're playing the teeny 315 capacity venue in town, it's gonna be a helluva show. :rock:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Guys my Garth Brooks Boxsets arrived and I somehow didn’t realize I was buying THREE of them at once hahahaha what the gently caress am I supposed to do with these? They’re HUGE.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Put the fancy one on the shelf and keep the other two sealed and in the shipping box and store it in the closet to forget about

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
They're an INVESTMENT, dammit. You sell the other two for hundreds in a few years, obvs.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gonna hit up my local record stores tomorrow and see if I can find one of those box sets locally. And also maybe The State on vinyl since there was apparently a reissue in 2017.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
lol the Garth Brooks website says that they manufactured a half a million of them and mine is numbered in the 30Ks

They're gonna be clearing these fuckers out forever.

pwn
May 27, 2004

:cawg:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Moe_Rahn posted:

lol the Garth Brooks website says that they manufactured a half a million of them and mine is numbered in the 30Ks

:piss: that's what, over 10 million LPs? Is that why pressing plants have been so backed up?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

:piss: that's what, over 10 million LPs? Is that why pressing plants have been so backed up?

Yes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Garth Brooks out here singlehandedly revitalizing the record pressing industry

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Just checking in with my fellow Garth-heads to see how everyone is enjoying their vinyl.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Guys my Garth Brooks Boxsets arrived and I somehow didn’t realize I was buying THREE of them at once hahahaha what the gently caress am I supposed to do with these? They’re HUGE.

Yeah, I don't think I really understood how much space these were going to take up. I'm tempted to order some and have them sent to my friends' houses without saying anything about it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My favorite thing is that if you have the analog and the remaster, the limited shiny edition is completely obsolete - analog LPs, remastered CDs.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Perfect.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Idk if it actually matters but is there a consensus on which set sounds best?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
It's a Zaireeka style set. You have to play all three simultaneously.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Moe_Rahn posted:

The one I'm sending back was numbered 6,117. Wonder if Amazon really sold 25000+ of them over prime day.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

stealie72 posted:

The one I'm sending back was numbered 6,117. Wonder if Amazon really sold 25000+ of them over prime day.

Mine is #4530 and I ordered it over the weekend. I think it's random.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Officially now part of the decor:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh god I opened one up and it’s just too much. There’s a three disc LIVE ALBUM in here?!? And CDs!!! And I have three of all of these things now!!!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Don't forget the live album in each set has a different triple gatefold design! You gotta open every set up to compare and contrast. :sickos:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

internet celebrity posted:

That and all the worthless garbage they pump out for Record Store Day and the FOMO labels.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Instead of my usual "either old stuff or vaporwave" posts, have two new 'uns that came in the mail yesterday: repress of Beastie Boy's License to Ill and the debut album of I Don't Know How But They Found Me.

I highly recommend the latter band. I'm bad with describing what genre an artist fits into, but I'd say these guys are indie pop with a heavy sprinkling of new wave. Here's a quick sample of a couple of different styles song from the album...check 'em out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBRCGf81jwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdZ8h7P2LyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq_mS6xWpvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSRbIE8c1HU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I have to admit: I was in my mid 20s when I realized it was License to Ill and not License to 3.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

caligulamprey posted:

Don't forget the live album in each set has a different triple gatefold design! You gotta open every set up to compare and contrast. :sickos:

…..no.

Ok relistened to No Fences and that IS a pretty solid album if you like 90s pop country. Not bad at all. I remembered the lyrics to the chorus of “Unanswered Prayers” even though I hadn’t heard that song in probably 20+ years.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

caligulamprey posted:

Garth Brooks poster next to the Pride Weed 666 flag is an aesthetic decision that I am absolutely stealing.

caligulamprey posted:

My favorite thing is that if you have the analog and the remaster, the limited shiny edition is completely obsolete - analog LPs, remastered CDs.

Perfect.
My current plan is to keep the limited edition and gift the analog. Dunno what I'm doing with the remastered yet.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

caligulamprey posted:

Feel like half the people I follow on Twitter have that Jeff Rosenstock gay weed flag. I’m a little jealous but I’m not that big of a Rosenstock head to justify hanging a flag on my wall.

In sad news my favorite local record store guy posted that his sweet old dog is in poor health and probably on her way out. Gonna have to swing by and buy some extra stuff. Poor doggy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
From what I've read, Garth seems like a cool enough sort of guy that he would want to press a ton of copies of these boxsets so people can get his music cheaply. It's all part of his plan.

Or it's a loss leader for Legacy Vol 2, which will be like 200 bucks with the absurd discounts, but everyone will be like "I actually liked the first one... so now I guess I must get the second one."

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Garths are coming home to roost

caligulamprey posted:

This is DECOR that’s as fun to PUT UP as it is to TAKE DOWN!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What's the highest number of times any of you has returned a record? I'm about to do return #3 of Autechre's Plus - the discogs reviews say it's fantastic but I've had major issues on the same side three times in a row. Wonder if I should just give up on it.