Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Stux posted:

yeah ill buy it. buy it a spot in my retroarch library that is and also never play it

:rackem:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe I'm underappreciating how much work goes into them, but I feel like these old FFs should be a few bucks each.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It sounds like it's only going to show up in the kinds of games that are already stuffed full of ads for their own RMTs:

quote:

Simulmedia has struck deals with some of the world's biggest gaming studios, including Entertainment Arts (EA) and Tencent's Hi-Rez Studios, its EVP, Gaming and OTT Dave Madden told Axios.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

ultrafilter posted:

Are there any games that everyone likes?

:sanix: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed :sanix:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

deep dish peat moss posted:

It sounds like it's only going to show up in the kinds of games that are already stuffed full of ads for their own RMTs:

Simulmedia is a cumbersome name and who is Entertainment Arts

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Every Final Fantasy is a lie anyway.

Every Final Fantasy so far.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wamdoodle posted:

Simulmedia is a cumbersome name and who is Entertainment Arts
they publish hit games such as bofa 2021 and nadir legends.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/1410392839750492160

Oh, this is cool!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Every Final Fantasy so far.

except the most recent one

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

except the most recent one

Except they already announced and showed off a new one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm going to throw in a plug for Another Sight. It's a puzzle platformer starring Kit, a mostly blind woman, and a cat. Kit has the ability to manipulate the puzzles, but she can only see things that make noise, so she's limited in what she can do on her own. The cat is fully sighted but can't manipulate most objects due to being a cat. Together they fight crimenavigate an underworld that of course leads to something world-changing. The puzzles and platforming are both pretty decent but never too difficult, the story's OK, and Kit is a pretty fantastic protagonist. It's $6 during the sale and definitely worth that much.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Except they already announced and showed off a new one.

theyve already announced and showed off half life 3 but that doesnt make half life 3 the final half life

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh hell yeah, I loved the first one, and Mizuki was the best character. I'm honestly surprised there's a sequel, it felt like such a complete story on its own.

Also, apparently it's 60% off right now, so if anyone hasn't played and is interested in a really good VN/investigation game, go check it out!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anything out there like FTL but maybe a bit more forgiving and with longer playthroughs in mind?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I really hate those new Final Fantasy screenshots. Like, people wanted the original pixel art because it fit in the original pixel game UI, if you make every UI element full resolution (and with yet another lovely font), it just looks bad.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Speaking of FTL.
Here is, what looks like, a near exact copy of FTLs gameplay.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1226510/Trigon_Space_Story/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
While we're on the topic of FTL, did anyone actually appreciate Crying Suns as a knock-off on it? It's EA pitch was "FTL, but more tactical!" when in fact I found it to have less tactics in the few hours that I played. It felt very... try-hard for no-results.

Trigon is vaguely amusing, but it'll have a demo in two weeks so we can see for ourselves what it's up to.
edit: no wait! it came out *last* month! 6 gigs for the demo holy crap, oh well time to see if it's any good.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 1, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

To Myst or to realMyst?

Might be worth waiting for the new remake

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

It's been mentioned but Loop Hero is so much goddamn fun. You can set when it auto-pauses, there's like building optimization that's kind of lite, and it's overall very forgiving. You're basically always making progress even if you wipe fast or unexpectedly. :10bux:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I do dig the "make it look and sound as repulsive as possible" aesthetic that Cruelty Squad goes with but it makes it drat near impossible to pick apart enemies from civilians at a glance, the cash penalty on death is loving infuriating and I don't want to waste my time playing stonks in a futile attempt to offset it, and the actual assigned objectives are always just "go here and kill the targets which are already marked for you, through the scenery, at all times". Which I guess is supposed to be thematically appropriate, and there's other stuff to do?? but the sheer amount of oddly bland and frustrating poo poo you have to wade through put me off WAY more than any of the deliberately terrible interface and presentation.

EYE on the other hand was so unequivocally oblique in all aspects that I could never feel confident in making a judgement call as to whether I liked it or not.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

bentacos posted:

I like seeing twitter randos talk about how nobody is going to buy the pixel remasters of Final Fantasy for that price, then looking at the Steam top selling list and the bundle is sitting at #4.

The world is big enough now that we can cover the full range from "lol but i have the roms" to "wow id have paid triple"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege worth $15?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I do dig the "make it look and sound as repulsive as possible" aesthetic that Cruelty Squad goes with but it makes it drat near impossible to pick apart enemies from civilians at a glance, the cash penalty on death is loving infuriating and I don't want to waste my time playing stonks in a futile attempt to offset it, and the actual assigned objectives are always just "go here and kill the targets which are already marked for you, through the scenery, at all times". Which I guess is supposed to be thematically appropriate, and there's other stuff to do?? but the sheer amount of oddly bland and frustrating poo poo you have to wade through put me off WAY more than any of the deliberately terrible interface and presentation.

EYE on the other hand was so unequivocally oblique in all aspects that I could never feel confident in making a judgement call as to whether I liked it or not.

Just shoot everyone.

Die enough and the penalty goes away

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

MarcusSA posted:

It's good but don't play it if pvp games can make you angry easily, it's very much a game where there's no joy to be had in trying really hard to win :v:
If you can enjoy a team based shooter just by simply doing your best and trying to get weird angles on people, it's great. Bonus points if you can wring enjoyment out of knowing that no matter what you do in the game you're probably ruining the day of some aggressive rear end in a top hat, because doing well makes your enemies mad and doing badly makes your idiot teammates mad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

It's good but don't play it if pvp games can make you angry easily, it's very much a game where there's no joy to be had in trying really hard to win :v:
If you can enjoy a team based shooter just by simply doing your best and trying to get weird angles on people, it's great. Bonus points if you can wring enjoyment out of knowing that no matter what you do in the game you're probably ruining the day of some aggressive rear end in a top hat, because doing well makes your enemies mad and doing badly makes your idiot teammates mad.

Haha ok well I don’t get mad at PvP. I’m gonna see some videos before I make a call lol.

Does it have like progression or anything?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

a derelict space ship roguelike shooter, sounds good

is it?

Cryptark, another sub $5 game

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Haha ok well I don’t get mad at PvP. I’m gonna see some videos before I make a call lol.

Kinda I guess, but also not really? (haha not helpful I know) Like, you gradually earn yellowbux by playing to unlock more operators. But these days they're all as good as any other, depending on the situation/your preferences. Once you unlock them, that's it - you have full access to their loadout (typically two main weapons, two sidearms and two gadgets. So you pick one for each slot) and then that's that. So it's really just a matter of gradually getting a feel for the different operators and settling into using the ones you like the most.
Aside from that, the only other thing you can use yellowbux on are cosmetics. You can get paid-for silverbux too, but those are basically just to get the same thing as yellowbux, but faster.

Also, for what it's worth, if you like shooters that promote having a little creativity in tackling situations, Siege is a blast. I've never been super big on solely PVP-based games, yet it's somehow my most played game on Steam by far. Definitely a great game to play, I feel! Just be prepared to go through a slight learning curve, while adjusting to maps, what's breakable and what isn't, etc etc

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

MarcusSA posted:

You get loot boxes for cosmetics as you play, most of them aren't very good lmao. If you're buying the 10 dollar ('Deluxe') version, 22 characters on the roster are locked. Unlocking a single character takes like 15 hours of playing I think, you get to choose exactly which character you unlock each time though. Most of the 'best' characters are unlocked from the start so the only disadvantage you'll have as a new player is a lack of map knowledge and not knowing what the different characters do.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Lone Badger posted:

Just shoot everyone.

Die enough and the penalty goes away

lol if you're not filling every room with gas grenades

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

It's a Counterstrike (one life per round) 5v5 clone where you can destroy walls, hell yeah it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iO7Z12zYS8

And just like any other Counterstrike you're going to have a bad time until you get used to the guns and develop map knowledge. A lot of map knowledge. But when you do pull stuff off it's very satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PRX8Kll8_I&t=95s

The first thing I ever did in the game was accidentally teamkill with a brick of C4 just like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6g9iwICQ9k&t=96s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTP3Iadjw38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1yGZSQlok

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 1, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fair enough! Thanks everyone! Gonna chew on it for a bit.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rinkles posted:

is it?

I liked Cryptark a lot. It has great atmosphere and setting. The difficulty can by anywhere between easy and ball-crushingly hard but as far as I remember, it's up to you to turn it up via optional objectives. You're attacking starships which are like living tech organisms with organs, it's a really cool concept.

fake edit: the screencaps you posted are inexplicably blurry for some reason, that is not how the game looks

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rinkles posted:

is it?

Cryptark is awesome, absolutely worth it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Has anyone played Suzerain? Was thinking about picking that up.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Khanstant posted:

eventually it's going to be baseline standard for complete photorealism out of whatever cheap free engine and everyone can have their phones run what seems to be a real lfie reality portal to a fantasy world and impressionist and cubist games will make a come back and someone will release a urinal on Steam called The Videogame

Developed by R Mutt

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It probably has been posted before, but I just recently learned of this so I'm using the Final Fantasy discussion as an excuse to post this twitter account showing of how different pixel art looks on a CRT.

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1408838224328466441

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1408451743214616587

The eyes are ridiculous, I'd never thought the effect could be this massive.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rinkles posted:

is it?

Cryptark is easily worth 5 bux lmao.

I feel like the only reason it never caught on (outside of maybe not having a good marketing push) is that it feels extremely messy to play--like in similar games (e.g. Nuclear Throne) most levels are a complete clusterfuck but there's clear ways to play optimally as long as you have the skill to execute them.

In Cryptark, you look at the map, formulate a plan, and then every step of the way you're getting hosed up by random bullshit and hoping you're playing well enough to get to the end of it without dying. A big part of this is that most ships have factories of some form and if you hide in a corner or spend time kiting enemies then you're just giving the factories more time to assemble enemies to kick your rear end with further down the line, so unless you can destroy all the factories early on in the mission you're diving in to groups of enemies that push and pull you around and shoot bombs and corossive slime and reflect projectiles because you can't afford to take them on one at a time.

For the first couple levels of a run you can consistently destroy all the factories at the start and take your time for the rest of it, but then you start reaching levels where you're looking at the map formulating plans like "okay I'm gonna destroy the Shuffle System first to make sure the rest of my plan works, then destroy Factory A, plant a remote-detonated nuke next to Factory B, destroy the Shield Generator protecting Factory B and detonate the nuke, and then work my way through the three systems that need to be destroyed to win the level without setting off an alarm."

And then 10 seconds in some bee looking motherfucker pushes you in to a mine and the explosion from the mine launches you through an alarm laser in to a giant buzzsaw and then because the alarm is set off you're desperately trying to hit the d-pad key combo to set up that nuke you brought so you don't have to spend a ton of ammo fighting all the alerted enemies when you're already missing half your health.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Funny cause I was looking for sci fi roguelikes, (spent yesterday going through probably hundreds of titles), but not once did this pop up. I found it because another game I saw (Duskers) reminded me of a preview video of Cryptark from years ago. I didn't remember the title so it took a while just to find on Steam.

It's a reminder of just how much stuff there is on Steam (and also that Steam's recommendation tools maybe aren't fantastic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Communist Bear posted:

Has anyone played Suzerain? Was thinking about picking that up.

I'm playing it now, it's a cyoa with visual novel elements, I'm not too far in. Pretty good communist takes so far though.