Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Gripweed posted:

I finally got around to watching Promare. Holy poo poo that kicks rear end! Even though it was not at all what I was expecting. Who knew Promare was an over the top action spectacle? From all the fanart on Twitter I assumed it was mainly about the two guys hugging.

Promare was so good to watch I wish I'd seen it in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

net work error posted:

I was a big Power Rangers fan as a kid so Dynazenon was very fun for me.

Same. For me, a weird benchmark of maturing was the moment I realized none of the other kids I knew thought that stuff was cool anymore. It’s a strange feeling revisiting it as an adult. Both the feeling of “oh this is just for kids” and the more jaded “this whole genre exists just to sell toys” butt up against a plot that’s well-written and fairly mature. I sorta had to just relax and let myself enjoy it on its own terms. Plus the animation is drat good and the whole climactic fight was hype as hell

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm still thinking about Promare. That movie really reminds you what is uniquely cool about anime.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Let down by the Moriarty ending.

Odd Taxi ending was fine I guess. Maybe I wanted more resolution backstory and having the killer be revealed to be that sucks.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

RE: Oddtaxi ending I still don't know how I feel about it - the visual style didn't require a story explanation to my mind, the last scene is good I think? I was not aware that there is an audio only show on youtube as a companion piece. I guess whether its just a one off oddity or if it becomes an on going series is the rub. The manga only came out in january of this year, which leads me to believe that there will be more oddtaxi I guess?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hows wonder egg priority

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1410002993999712257?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the Tanya of Evil guy needs to give him a wedgie

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hows wonder egg priority

It was alright, not a bad watch.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hows wonder egg priority

I enjoyed it a ton. The asthetics stay awesome throughout, but the story loses a bit of steam near the end.

It's definately hurt by the fact the last episode was delayed to... July or something? I'd wait until it comes out to start watching

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Might want to take a rain check on that finale, it was incredibly bad and dragged the rest of the series down with it lol

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hows wonder egg priority

whatever message it wanted to say, it absolutely horribly mangled it at every step. if you stop to think about it for 10 seconds it's incredibly dumb and confused, but if you don't it's a very nice looking show with some spectacular animation

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

I'm reminded of Dragon Zakura, which did the same thing except with preparing students for the Japanese University Entrance exams.

Then there's Investor Z, which is from the same author as Dragon Zakura, but, uh

quote:

Zaizen Takashi passes his entrance exams at the top of the heap, and starts his first year in junior high school at Dojuku Gakuen, a 130-year old super-advanced institute of higher education. The day after the entrance ceremony, "the secret" of the school is revealed to him, which concerns the existence of an "investment club," consisting only of the top student from each of the 6 grades.

Its club members have a mission. They must invest from a capital of 300-billion yen and yield a profit of 8%, which is their annual goal. This is why Dojuku Gakuen, boasting the highest standards of education in all of Japan, is tuition free.

"The most exciting game in the world. The ultimate game of ultimate thrill… In other words, money… Investments!" Here begins the story of the genius Zaizen, who bets the entirety of his youth on money. Learn, Zaizen... and make a bundle!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's just absolutely deranged.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

everyone watch the taxi show

coathat
May 21, 2007

Investor Z owns

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I'm gonna read this

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1410368994855604227?s=19

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wonder if anyone's asked R. Crumb how he feels about manga.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
wonder egg was too sappy for me

couldnt get into it at all

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Attack on Titan sequel looking good.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I’m surprised people here are so down on Wonder Egg. It was far and away the best show of that season for me

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

I’m surprised people here are so down on Wonder Egg. It was far and away the best show of that season for me

The ending was incredibly bad, in a way that retroactively worsened the entire experience.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you just watched the first 6 episodes, it's great if very heavy. Episodes 7-10 or so, a few red flags and raised eyebrows pop up. Episode 11-12 were very ??? and the finale was pure ?????????????????????????

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I dunno about *worsening* it. It just leaves a lot of stuff unresolved in a way that I can’t see a second season really addressing without introducing a new set of protagonists to join Ai

But yeah the first half was definitely better than the second half

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
It's a real mess of last-second revelations completely of out left field and just handwaving that all the loose ends from plot points they only started introducing in episode 11 don't really matter. Then you get the worst possible explanation for why Koito killed herself, like offensively bad, so bad that any viewer is better off just watching 10~12 episodes and assuming it's a mystery we'll never know the answer to.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gundam Hathaway rocks, and is very atypical of a Gundam movie since it has such a narrow focus on the human scale of the conflict. Not nearly as much mecha action as you'd suppose it would have. My only real complaint is that it's inconclusive since it's just setting up a sequel show or movie.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

finished reading soremachi and drat that was some good rear end manga

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gundam Hathaway rocks, and is very atypical of a Gundam movie since it has such a narrow focus on the human scale of the conflict. Not nearly as much mecha action as you'd suppose it would have. My only real complaint is that it's inconclusive since it's just setting up a sequel show or movie.

It's the first part of a trilogy adapting the novel Hathaway's Flash.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I read volume one of Boys Run The Riot. It's a good story about how being true to yourself often involves graffiti and punching people.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Yep it looks like the Eva Rebuild movies (including the 4th one) are coming to Amazon.

https://www.polygon.com/22559155/evangelion-movie-thrice-upon-a-time-release-date-amazon-prime-video

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ringo Roadagain posted:

finished reading soremachi and drat that was some good rear end manga

one of the all time greats

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
soremachi is amazing but goddamn does his other stuff get bleak.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

someone call smythe

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

It's the first part of a trilogy adapting the novel Hathaway's Flash.

I was still expecting at least one of the main characters to die. Even if it's the first part of a trilogy, there's something missing when a named character doesn't get turned to slurry or ash.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hathaway Noah is named after Noah Hathaway, who played Atreyu in Neverending Story.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My favorite thing about G Hathaway is how it pays attention to the minute details when it comes to collateral damage. Like, this was about as detailed as collateral damage got before in F91:

In Hathaway you have superheated Minovsky particles sprinkling off and melting roads & steel. It never gets explicit with how this would effect people, but it does create a palpable sense of danger for everyone who is caught in the crossfire.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You say it like that shot from f91 doesn't still slap

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm not saying it's bad. But it does have a kind of slapstick quality to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

my partner never wants to watch gundams with me is hathaway good looking enough to distract her from it being mechs

I don’t think I can convince her to watch Char’a Counterattack at this point