Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I agree gender reveal things are kind of lame and old fashioned
And gross. I'll gladly die on this hill.

To clarify my disdain: They're anti-queer as gently caress, and having a callback to it on the last day of Pride month sucks. It also wasn't a good look back in February after the extreme damage some of the ones in the news have caused. If you're fine with it, whatever. Personally I'm not, and I'm expressing that.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Hangman has to lose to Kenny the first attempt, he's already lost to Kenny clean as a whistle in the middle of the ring, the fallout from that moment, and the dissolution of his tag team, losing his friends and his titles has already created the chasm of doubt he has to cross in order to beat Kenny. I feel like the build to him taking Kenny on the first time and losing would be waaaay too deflating and difficult to put the train back on the tracks at a good clip in time for Kenny to drop, and the time is coming.

Hangman has spent a year and a half being absolutely wrecked by everything, getting played by FTR into betraying his own friends, getting kicked out of his group (that shattered mirror!), losing to FTR, losing to Kenny, hiding in the dark order lair chugging whiskey and spinning his wheels, it's time for the training montage and the W imo.

My only question is what happens after Hangman beats Kenny? i feel like we expect this Kenny Loses World Tour where he returns the titles back to where they belong, but maybe he can do his own thing for awhile? He'd still be a triple champion, he can defend IMPACT and AAA, he could go to Japan for a stint. I mean, it's LIKELY he drops all the belts and takes some well earned time off, but who knows

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
they should do stu grayson vs kenny omega

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Hefty Leftist posted:

he's gotta lose the first shot at it, Hangman's whole story is that he's afraid of failure and has to overcome that. he has to fail at beating kenny, realise it's not the end of the world, gain his confidence and security and keep trying with the support of his friends in order to beat him later on at full gear or revolution next year.

I'm wondering if Impact and even AAA at this point would like their belts back, in which case Kenny sorta has to lose to Hangman sooner rather than later. I could still see Hangman being the one to eat the pin in like a Dark Order Cowboys vs The Elite match though. The fallout from that being the crisis his friends support him through leading up to the eventual title match.

Unless this DOES go another 6-12 months, it's too bad a Japanese belt (either NJPW or DDT) wasn't collected. I figure NJPW would probably find it hard to let Kenny take a belt that isn't the US belt considering quarantines and all that, but I thought maybe it would be neat if he won a title shot (perhaps to face Ibushi even) but then started losing in the lead up to it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
kenny has held the aaa mega championship since *october 2019* lol

not making a point i just looked it up and wow thats a long rear end reign, padded by the pandemic, sure

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Belts don't matter in Lucha Libre. Kenny will take the AAA belt to his grave.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'll just add that gender reveals are pretty garbage poo poo considering how many fires they've started, so you know anything that keeps the trend relevant is not great.

I dont think a 2nd clip is going to burn down a forest, but I'm also not going to get irritated with people who hate the gender reveal. They're poo poo.

Anywho, fantastic show. It has been...........a really long time since anything on TV has made me stop everything that I was doing and focus 100% on what was going on. The Dark Order coming out put me on red alert and that was absolutely awesome. Evil Uno, if you pull this off you are my leader for life. Fix my sad cowboy.

As for Sammy: still crying.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Hangman/Omega angle has potential to be one of the best angles of the entire modern era of wrestling and I hope to god it takes three months and ends with the entire Dark Order crowdsurfing Hangman to the back while weeping

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I agree gender reveal things are kind of lame and old fashioned.

These profoundly stupid things are squarely the fault of my generation, millennials. Their prominence started in the late 00s.

To chat about wrasslin', Hangman has already lost the inaugural AEW title match, became alienated by the Elite, ate the pin to lose the Tag Belts, and briefly lost his #1 spot to Brian Cage. He should absolutely not lose his first title match against Kenny.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 1, 2021

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Lol

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Super packed crowd. I cannot say how good it is back... to be live on Dynamite.

Jericho on commentary. Sure.

1) Penta and Eddie vs Young Bucks. Sure, start with one of the five main events. In place of the Young Bucks, AEW hired and cloned August Grey. This is, as expected, a really incredible match. Kingston is throwing suplexes around like he's got a billion. Kingston has the best facial expressions in the biz. Jesus loving christ, that Penta offense sequence was BERZERK. Visual three count and the audience is pissed off. Knox is a massive stooge. God, the Young Bucks are incredible lovely heels. Ahahaha the Cutler spray spot! And Frankie! AND WE GOT AN ELIMINATOR THAT THE CHALLENGERS WON! God drat this was a superb opener.

Christian Cage is mumbly. Luchasaurus is back. Jungle Boy is silent.

Toney interviews Ethan Page. Ethan Page is pretty good at working a crowd. Sting comes out, Darby burns a coffin on video. Dobby jumps out of a coffin and attacks Page. The Sammy Vlog Champ holds Dobby back.

2) Jack Evans vs Jungle Boy. Love this little flippy doo scumbag. Chris, Jungle Boy won't become 50 and 0 tonight because he has losses on his record. Fun combination of flips n graps here. Evans is a really good heater opponent, who can lose while elevating a match. This was very decent.

Post match, Matt Hardy leads out a billion guys, leading to an angle with Christian.

MJF talks forever and challenges Jericho to a match post-Sammy. Which kind of diminishes the Sammy match.

Alex Abrahantes interviews Andrade, who challenges Matt Sydal in Miami next week. OK, cool.

Kenny interviewed. Toney does great sandbagging stoogework. Kenny on the tache train. Uno interrupts when Kenny says he has no challengers. Love the Five / "two minutes" joke. gently caress, Uno is a world class hype man. Segment fizzled a touch at the end.

Pillman promo. He's pretty good.

3) Brian Pillman Jr vs Miro. What the hell is this new Miro entrance? I love it. THE REDEEMER. oh jesus, he just YEETED that belt at the ref. Brian, you are a good kid and you are about to get obliterated. Every blow Miro hits looks like it injures. He has Nakajima level evil kicks. God, Miro's no sell on Pillman's punch on the apron was amazing. Whenever Miro finishes up his TNT run, get him in the G1 stat. Pillman has some great fightback towards the end. Pillman trying to fight out of the Game Over and Miro just falling back into a choke was incredible.

I love this Hangman / Dark Order segment so much.

Breaking news from Team Taz. Hook has Tetsuya Endo's hair. Cage vs Starks for the FTW title. That's cool.

4) Vickie Guerrero and Nyla Rose vs Britt Baker and Rebel. This match existing is still an idiot plot. This is rough at the start. Rebel has superb facial expressions, Nyla does a good angry beating, but this is just not great. We only get one women's match on TV a week and it's pitiful that this is it. Nyla’s knee drop looked great though. I want AEW's women's division to be better than this.

Post match the table bomb looked great.

Annoyed that the booking is looking straight past Sammy.

OK, a mixed tag is interesting.

MJF's promo was great.

5) Sammy Guevara vs MJF. There's a real energy between these two. Something that feels more strongly emotional. MJF has been working on his air game. Sammy's double bounce springboard cutter is absurd. Guevara is a huge huge face. This crowd are pouring their spirits into him, which will make it so much sweeter when MJF starts to MJF. Jesus Lord above that absolutely ludicrous apron to crowd dive. These guys are absolutely going for it. SECOND ROPE TOMBSTONE! And a KICKOUT! What the gently caress is this match? Jesus, this match is just incredible moment after incredible moment. We get interference, which I think weakens it just a touch. But I expected MJF to pull some bullshit. Very Very Good Match.

Post match, MJF is destroyed. Barely able to stand.

Very nice Daily's Place tribute.

This was a very good show, apart from the women's match which is the case depressingly often.

Other than that this was a very good WWE Dynamite.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Evil Badman posted:

These profoundly stupid things are squarely the fault of my generation, millennials. Their prominence started in the late 00s.

To chat about wrasslin', Hangman has already lost the inaugural AEW title match, became alienated by the Elite, ate the pin to lose the Tag Belts, and briefly lost his #1 spot to Brian Cage. He should absolutely not lose his first title match against Kenny.

Agreed. Hangman is as low as he needs to go. When he faces Kenny, he should win. I'm surprised they didn't frame his loss to Brian Cage as a case of self-sabotage. That's how I interpreted it as soon as it happened. Obviously he got jumped but it was clearly communicated by commentary as an upset in a match where he would have to face Kenny if he won. Seemed like a good opportunity for someone from the Dark Order to confront him about that. And of course when he was safely out of contention for the number 1 spot, he beats Cage

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/TigerDriver9X/status/1410431513267740678
https://twitter.com/TigerDriver9X/status/1410436193746030592

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
They really just did Vickie vs Rebel with no substitutions or anything huh.

People were SO CERTAIN that just putting the title on Britt would magically fix the women's' division but Jesus H Christ it's somehow worse now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

before anyone asks, i'm the person who was so certain that just putting the title on britt would magically fix the women's' division.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's a current WWE level women's match. The booking makes it clear that there's nobody in the company who can really advocate for quality booking for women except Thunder Rosa.

Everyone else is too busy, too disinterested, too 'E brained, or speaks English as a foreign language.

It was holding pattern poo poo on the final Jacksonville Dynamite.

Crapple! posted:

Agreed. Hangman is as low as he needs to go. When he faces Kenny, he should win. I'm surprised they didn't frame his loss to Brian Cage as a case of self-sabotage. That's how I interpreted it as soon as it happened. Obviously he got jumped but it was clearly communicated by commentary as an upset in a match where he would have to face Kenny if he won. Seemed like a good opportunity for someone from the Dark Order to confront him about that. And of course when he was safely out of contention for the number 1 spot, he beats Cage

Consider the alternative though Omega/Hangman 1.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 1, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Man, the state of women's wrestling in the USA depresses me so much right now.

Incredible talent, rookies becoming seasoned pros, AEW getting a women's champion who people respond to strongly, and in the first Wednesday dynamite before going back on tour we get...

...a tag match that included two people who either aren't wrestlers or shouldn't be.

I was one of the people who was certain that this wouldn't be a real match. Because everything about it screamed "not a real match". And only people who fundamentally didn't care about the women's division would make this the one TV match that the women's division gets this week.

It's not as bad as the active contempt that WWE have for their wrestlers, but neglect isn't that much better.

I really, really want women's wrestling in the US to be better. I really want companies like AEW to care about making it better. But it's just... clearly not a priority for them.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Rampage could give them more space to beef out the women's division with more than one concurrent storyline but it could easily absolutely not do that. Them being willing to do Mixed matches bodes well but who even knows at this point.

Also I think Hangman losing with grace, moving past his demons only to be taunted about his past by FTR with where ever the Pinnacle is going, truly accepting that he can move forward with himself and his friends, having to work together with the new generation after Eddie's ragtag band of veterans fail to best the Elite, and ultimately putting Kenny out of his misery when he's become (somehow) even more unhinged and uncaring about his personal safety and win-at-any-cost mentality would be rad.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Remember when Rebel was advertised as wrestling and Maki Itoh came out instead.

People like to rag on Oz Academy for being an overbooked heel promotion. Do you know who doesn't have a Cage Match entry because they've never wrestled a match? POLICE

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shinjobi posted:

I dont think a 2nd clip is going to burn down a forest, but I'm also not going to get irritated with people who hate the gender reveal. They're poo poo.
Thanks. Didn't want to derail, it just sets me off to see that poo poo sometimes.

Cavauro posted:

before anyone asks, i'm the person who was so certain that just putting the title on britt would magically fix the women's' division.
They're going back on the road and having a month of specials, so I'll give it at least until the end of July before I start complaining. I can be forgiving since a lot of things have been rocky with pandemic booking and the month of pre-empting, but from a few statements I've read, Kenny really wants to push the division a lot more.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i still think if they really put the title on britt instead of pretending then it will solve the problems

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Excellent Dynamite this week, everything was good and the opener and the main event were great stuff. Even Nyla & Vickie vs Britt & Rebel was perfectly OK and did its job.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

xbilkis posted:

If anyone wants to solve the problem with JR occasionally misspeaking, I would suggest going back in time and watching the past 15 years of Marv Albert and Dick Stockton commentary. I promise you won't bat an eye at stuff like "WWE Dynamite"

maybe its just a bad idea in general to have 70 year old men doing commentary on live sports. thank God JR is only 69 and thus his brain is only partially mush instead of full mush like those guys!

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

shiksa posted:

kenny has held the aaa mega championship since *october 2019* lol

not making a point i just looked it up and wow thats a long rear end reign, padded by the pandemic, sure

In Before-Covid times Rey Fenix held the title for 420 days, and his loss to Kenny was only his third defense of the title, so when Kenny defends his title against Andrade at Triplemania in August, he'll still have defended it more often per number of days than Fenix, and that is with the pandemic.

Also, if you want another example of Lucha companies not caring about their titles, Dragon Lee 's second reign with the CMLL World Lightweight title lasted almost 1200 days, with just 5 defenses as well.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hefty Leftist posted:

June 30th, 2021 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single wrestling company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when AEW put Cody's gender reveal in a video package tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that was a really good ep. Sammy is unreal. Miro is amazing as the TNT champ. The Hangman tease.
Finally, AEWWWE is good again

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Aye Doc posted:

maybe its just a bad idea in general to have 70 year old men doing commentary on live sports. thank God JR is only 69 and thus his brain is only partially mush instead of full mush like those guys!

This is some hosed up ageism and it sucks.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

cognitive decline is real and it's bad, op

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The thread is covering too much ground too quickly, we got 6 more days til Dynamite. Let’s do Ageism tomorrow

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

this commentator eatin beans

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

The thread is covering too much ground too quickly, we got 6 more days til Dynamite. Let’s do Ageism tomorrow

fiiiiiine, let's loop back around to why the women's division sucks

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Tully is nearly 70 and he's dope and a gay icon.

(Someone post the bar pic please thx)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yuka Sakazaki is on her way to America to gently caress poo poo up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dave is really high on Sammy vs. MJF on WOR. Wonder if it's getting a 5.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jim ross was mixing up peoples' names 20 years ago. he's a buffoon and a thief of everyones' time and serenity. i pity him and begrudgingly accept his pathetic efforts through a policy of magnanimity and disregard. if you can't do it on your own i can teach you how if you send me a pm. but i might really just pm you a picture of something nasty as hell. make your decision

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hefty Leftist posted:

June 30th, 2021 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single wrestling company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when AEW put Cody's gender reveal in a video package tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Cody Rhodes is a father. And I don't know how to feel about that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

i pity him and begrudgingly accept his pathetic efforts through a policy of magnanimity and disregard.

ok Keith Lee

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Old people suck get them off my TV hahaha

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Quantum of Phallus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I hope AEW utilizes Yuka well. I could see another Britt “ you don’t belong here” promo which is ok and frustrating at the same time.