Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Azathoth posted:

Jokic is one of those players for whom stats disagree a lot, at least for his defense. He has great DWS numbers (4th) but a much worse Defensive Rating (76th). Both stats have their problems, but it feels like the truth is in the middle. He's an average defensive player, not a liability but also not someone who should be called a good defender.

he’s got smoked by Chris Paul. zubac is even doing better

in regular season pablum games when he can just stand in the lane and get rebounds he’s fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The Maestro posted:

Defensive WS measures defensive efficiency and minutes played basically. 1 DWS = 1 win added to the team’s record. Jokic plays a lot of minutes and plays pretty efficient defense. Stats are not the end all be all but should be used as a tool to inform what you are seeing, rather than ignored entirely because of “fantasy basketball mentality.” If you have an opinion on a player but the stats say the opposite, you should investigate both your opinion and the stat and try to get a clearer picture. The stats are just numbers. They don’t have opinions - some of them may have biases, but that can be taken into account.

He lost in the second round of the playoffs, so currently he actually has zero "win" shares

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Maestro posted:

Sure, I’m not saying he’s great, but he’s definitely good. he’s ranked 76th in drtg on bbref but that’s not filtered for a minimum minutes played - Gary Payton II is first on that list (with a 150+ Ortg to boot). He’s ranked 15th at statmuse with minimum 2000 mins played per 82 games (https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba-defensive-rating-leaders-2021)

he’s ranked 7th on the stats.nba’s Defensive Dashboard which accounts for opp FG % and the like.

Yeah, shoulda looked at minutes, but that's a lot of effort. I'll still stand by my comment that he's overvalued in stats but acting like he's a bum on defense sure doesn't match up with what I saw from him when I watched, and there sure isn't a statistical argument for it either.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

he’s got smoked by Chris Paul. zubac is even doing better

Chris Paul had covid between these series. He looks slow as hell and pretty much worthless right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Chris Paul had covid between these series. He looks slow as hell and pretty much worthless right now.

interesting that jokic gets the same excuses as Donald Trump (COVID !!)

also Paul is vaccinated I’m sure it wasn’t bad. the clippers are just good at slowing him down .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

any way my point is not that he doesn’t nominally play center. he obviously does. it’s just that saying “best passer for a center !!” is nonsensical. it would be like putting Clayton Kershaw in left field and saying he’s the best pitcher for a left fielder.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Saying he's the best passing center seems like a perfectly normal and reasonable observation. Normally true centers are not great playmakers, and it's what makes his game distinct.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
This is just that chapter in the Phantom Tollbooth where he comes across the house in which live the Tallest Midget in the World, the Smallest Giant in the World, the Skinniest Fat Man in the World, and the Fattest Skinny Man in the World. Get this - [spoiler]they’re all the same dude!!![/spoler]

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Saying he's the best passing center seems like a perfectly normal and reasonable observation. Normally true centers are not great playmakers, and it's what makes his game distinct.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
euphronious just wants to minimize jokic via d&d hairsplitting of ball

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
jokic rules

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
joke bitch

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ex post facho posted:

euphronious just wants to minimize jokic via d&d hairsplitting of ball

he's extremely not mad that embiid wasn't mvp because voters don't like it when he's a healthy scratch for a quarter of the games

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1410330506487492612

:toot:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
he’s about to get KD’d and it ain’t even the finals

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

he’s not a true center that is the point

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

he’s not a true center that is the point

ok I'll bite, can you define "true center" without referencing a specific player?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
al Jefferson

oops poo poo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the suns baby :mrgw:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the suns are good imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/amicohoops/status/1410674775261945862?s=21

love the picture

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Come back Kevin, we need you now. The North beckons you home.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/knarsu3/status/1411063771741704193?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what’s lebron

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
lol that swing between offense and defense on lillard

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think those stats are good but I posted it for you stat heads

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I just read an article on what lebron is and lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we need a Nate silver emote

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you need any more proof why “advanced stats” are utter garbage

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

lmao Ben Simmons had a better impact than Trae due to passing and defense I guess. Guess stats can't account for the clutch gene or lack thereof

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

if you need any more proof why “advanced stats” are utter garbage

Well that's why the stat nerd lab rats need to keep making the advanced stats better to adjust for those realities. Doesn't invalidate advanced stats wholesale

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

lmao Ben Simmons had a better impact than Trae due to passing and defense I guess. Guess stats can't account for the clutch gene or lack thereof

those stats are a simulacrum (I.e. MVP award fantasy land)

we all watched trae outplay Simmons in actual basketball games

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

Well that's why the stat nerd lab rats need to keep making the advanced stats better to adjust for those realities. Doesn't invalidate advanced stats wholesale

we’ve had all the stats We’ve needed for like 70 years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sorry true shooting is a good stat and that is relatively new

And the offensive and defensive Rating stats

Those are good and new I think

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

we’ve had all the stats We’ve needed for like 70 years

If that were the case then DeMarcus Cousins would be a top ten center of all time during his prime, but the plus minus stats clearly don't support that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is the plus minus stat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you mean like the hockey stat ?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Look at this dude

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/couside01.html#2014-2018-sum:per_game

I am a Kings fan and this dude had top 5-10 NBA stats every year for about 5 years. He excelled in every traditional stat category. And yet his teams only made the playoffs once.

He was clearly very good but by traditional stats he looked like the single best player in the NBA for a good period.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you are talking to me you know I agree . demarcus is the Steph curry of centers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hall of Fame forward Antoine Walker