Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I have a serious issue that I need to try and figure out... Hopefully someone here will be able to help.
I installed windows 10 this past weekend after reluctantly staying on 7 for so long, as I didn't want it to disrupt anything with my work... and it has massively disrupted my ability to work.

All of the explorer windows, images I load up in photoshop, slack, all seemed to have much higher contrast and the whites of images are burning out, so I thought I just needed to recalibrate. Got the calibrater from the office, did it today, then the result made everything look even MORE high contrast and washed out.
I then realized, if i open up splashtop and remote into my work machine - colors look correct. I can open the identical image and place it side by side the splashtop window and it looks totally different.
So it's not a calibration issue - for some reason, and somehow, windows 10 is drastically changing the colors of what i see - across slack, windows explorer, and photoshop. But an app like splashtop is totally unaffected by it. This is why when i calibrated, it doubled up on the crazy colors.

Here's an example of a random image. splashtop on the left, viewed locally on the right.

I'm getting a bit anxious with this - I have to submit some final images tomorrow and I've not been able to do any real color work all week.

In addition to that, my upgrade to windows 10 has been frustrating in other ways. about 50% of the time when my computer boots up the start menu just doesnt do anything and I cant click on it. the software I have shortcuts to in the taskbar works, but just no start menu. windows key doesnt do anything. I have to hold down the power button to restart and hope the next time it will actually let me use the start menu. That's a less critical fix, but still something i would like to stop happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm. Random guess, go into display settings and check the Windows HD Color settings, is it doing something there?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also under Win+A you might see a colour option in the bottom right, click it to switch between normal and enhanced.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

MikeJF posted:

Hmm. Random guess, go into display settings and check the Windows HD Color settings, is it doing something there?

There are no settings there, at all. Stream HDR video, use HDR, and use WCG apps are all set to 'no'. I cant find any meaningful settings to change.

What it looks like it's doing is clamping the color range - kind of like how game consoles have an 'rgb range' setting. if the range of color from black to white is 0-255, some tv's only like it from 15-240, and they clamp above that.
It feels like windows is performing that clamping, and displaying most apps in limited color mode, as if it thinks I'm outputting to a lovely tv that cant do full range color. It really does look exactly like 240 and above is getting scaled up and clamped to 255.
every single help file I can find about color in windows 10 seems to think I'm trying to get a HDR display working, which I'm not.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also under Win+A you might see a colour option in the bottom right, click it to switch between normal and enhanced.

Nothing there unfortunately. You mean in the tray which has icons for location, night light, airplane mode etc?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 1, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, it might only be on Surfaces and other supported displays. I'm not sure, in that case.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cubicle gangster posted:

every single help file I can find about color in windows 10 seems to think I'm trying to get a HDR display working, which I'm not.

Have you installed up-to-date drivers for your video card / integrated video? If this was a upgrade from 7 you may have some half-broken old video drivers / configuration that is loving things up.

Both amd & nvidia drivers have a checkbox during the install process for "clean installation" which wipes all existing settings. Deff use that as well while updating.

cubicle gangster posted:

In addition to that, my upgrade to windows 10 has been frustrating in other ways. about 50% of the time when my computer boots up the start menu just doesnt do anything and I cant click on it. the software I have shortcuts to in the taskbar works, but just no start menu. windows key doesnt do anything. I have to hold down the power button to restart and hope the next time it will actually let me use the start menu. That's a less critical fix, but still something i would like to stop happening.

Check the event viewer when this happens, look in windows logs -> application, see if you have errors for "ShellExperienceHost" or something else relevant. I expect this will be a problem with that.

If so there's a possible quick fix, but more likely you'll need to do an in-place upgrade. So when you have some time that you're not working, use the download tool to make a USB stick with the Win10 installer.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Update your graphics drivers? Or try rolling back if they're up to date. If you have a spare monitor I'd also try hooking that up to see whether it's a software or a hardware issue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

redeyes posted:

I stopped selling Surfaces like 4-5 years ago. They are buggy pieces of poo poo. I'd take an Ipad pro 10/10 over MS underpowered surfaces.
Aren't the surface laptops pretty decent (as opposed to the tablet)?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Reading over all this TPM stuff on the web, Microsoft mentions HVCI being enabled. I sure hope that you can disable it, because it makes a noticeable difference in game performance here. While it may not be the most bugfree experience, framerate in CP2077 dropped by 30% when I was fudging around enabling it (it's the Memory Integrity feature).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I did reinstall the graphics drivers after the windows 10 install, yeah.

I've been changing the loaded color profiles and messing around with the nvidia color settings, but that's not looking like a solution to the issue. Splashtop is displaying the correct colors - when I go to edit the colors in the nvidia control panel, or load a color profile, it is changing the colors of everything - even splashtop.
So it looks like I dont actually want to change my color profile and the old calibration is still accurate, and this is exclusively an issue with my local install of windows 10. It's a total mystery because if the colors were consistently wrong, it would be solved with a calibration.

edit:
I just opened this up. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php
On my remote machine through splashtop, everything is at 2.2
On my local machine, the 48% matches up with 1.8, the 25% matches with 2.2, and the 10% sits around 2.4

Anyone know if it's possible/how to roll back to windows 7? i cannot work like this. I have to do color proofing as part of my job.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 1, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone know if it's possible/how to roll back to windows 7? i cannot work like this. I have to do color proofing as part of my job.

Try looking in settings in the Update section, see if there it's there under recovery options.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm getting a bit anxious with this - I have to submit some final images tomorrow and I've not been able to do any real color work all week.
I would go into Display settings and check that the Nightlight is turned off or at least not misconfigured.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been changing the loaded color profiles and messing around with the nvidia color settings, but that's not looking like a solution to the issue. Splashtop is displaying the correct colors - when I go to edit the colors in the nvidia control panel, or load a color profile, it is changing the colors of everything - even splashtop.
So it looks like I dont actually want to change my color profile and the old calibration is still accurate, and this is exclusively an issue with my local install of windows 10. It's a total mystery because if the colors were consistently wrong, it would be solved with a calibration.

edit:
On my local machine, the 48% matches up with 1.8, the 25% matches with 2.2, and the 10% sits around 2.4

Yeah its possible.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...6b-0be3eb0aa144

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

cubicle gangster posted:

edit:

You'll want to figure out how to upgrade eventually, as a note. Win 7 is past end of life and won't be receiving security updates/etc. since 2020, and if this is for your work you really can't afford to have a security vulnerability kill your computer and wipe your data either.

If you did an update, like others mentioned there might be some weird things being carried forward that a clean install wouldn't do, but unfortunately a clean install is gonna be tricky to do in a way that you can rollback. There's a dozen ways to skin this particular problem, just know that you'll need to figure it out sooner or later or leave yourself at risk of losing a lot more than your calibration info.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seems like Microsoft is going to leave existing UWP applications high and dry in regards to WinUI 3, because they've suddenly decided that they're primarily targeting .NET 5.0 and existing Win32 developers instead, latter which were excluded from it all up until now.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems like Microsoft is going to leave existing UWP applications high and dry in regards to WinUI 3, because they've suddenly decided that they're primarily targeting .NET 5.0 and existing Win32 developers instead, latter which were excluded from it all up until now.

I am extremely OK with this. UWP's practical niche is null and void with the death of a Microsoft Phone OS. There is no compelling reason to not use Win32 if you are targeting the desktop. Here's hoping WPF starts getting features again (although I suspect a lot of effort is going to be put into MAUI which is...we'll see...)

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I am extremely OK with this. UWP's practical niche is null and void with the death of a Microsoft Phone OS. There is no compelling reason to not use Win32 if you are targeting the desktop. Here's hoping WPF starts getting features again (although I suspect a lot of effort is going to be put into MAUI which is...we'll see...)

lol MAUI is the new cross platform framework targeting everything from a single code base. Office team recently announced they’re rebuilding Outlook to be cross platform on a single code base… by rewriting it as a web app. Says all you need to know. MS has never used the frameworks they tell other devs to use. This could be the ultimate opportunity to dogfood MAUI and also announce to the world that it’s so good even one of the most used applications in the world is built on it, but it’s not. They’re not even building it on their own private set of .net 5/6 controls, they’re just making it a web app. Makes me want to puke.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

beuges posted:

lol MAUI is the new cross platform framework targeting everything from a single code base. Office team recently announced they’re rebuilding Outlook to be cross platform on a single code base… by rewriting it as a web app. Says all you need to know. MS has never used the frameworks they tell other devs to use. This could be the ultimate opportunity to dogfood MAUI and also announce to the world that it’s so good even one of the most used applications in the world is built on it, but it’s not. They’re not even building it on their own private set of .net 5/6 controls, they’re just making it a web app. Makes me want to puke.

This is the Teams model, if you want an idea of how this might work in practice.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

This is the Teams model, if you want an idea of how this might work in practice.

The thing is, until recently the only real option for building a true cross-platform app was to build a web app and then package it in electron. With Teams being as old as it is, it makes sense they went that route. But MAUI’s been announced well before Outlook announced their rewrite, so there’s no excuse for any new MS product to be built on electron going forward. But I expect them to continue churning out more and more electron apps while telling everyone else how great MAUI is, and then wondering why it’s taking so long for devs to adopt it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beuges posted:

That is so depressing.

Electron and it's ilk perform so badly and are completely leaning on the idea that everyone just has a super computer on their lap/under their desk. Also developing in it is completely miserable. MAUI is kind of my great last hope to not have to write whatever flavor of the month JS framework exists today. I'd list them right now, but it'll be out of date before I finish this post. The alternative is that I have to convince every team I work with to only support Windows, which is becoming an increasingly hard sell...

Microsoft had this enormous momentum on Desktop and is just constantly finding ways to squander it while OSX gradually eats up more market share

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 4, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That is so depressing.

Electron and it's ilk perform so badly and are completely leaning on the idea that everyone just has a super computer on their lap/under their desk. Also developing in it is completely miserable. MAUI is kind of my great last hope to not have to write whatever flavor of the month JS framework exists today. I'd list them right now, but it'll be out of date before I finish this post. The alternative is that I have to convince every team I work with to only support Windows, which is becoming an increasingly hard sell...

Microsoft had this enormous momentum on Desktop and is just constantly finding ways to squander it while OSX gradually eats up more market share

There are still vastly more Windows machines than Macs out there. The desktop OS percentages are roughly 76% running Windows, roughly 17% running Mac OS. Some of Microsoft's stupid choices are probably influenced by the level of dominance they have in that niche.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There are still vastly more Windows machines than Macs out there. The desktop OS percentages are roughly 76% running Windows, roughly 17% running Mac OS. Some of Microsoft's stupid choices are probably influenced by the level of dominance they have in that niche.

For now.

That number used to be much closer to 90/10, and the trend isn't looking good for Windows. If they continue to gently caress it up, they might find themselves losing a critical mass of that marketshare where 'Windows is the default' is no longer the foregone conclusion.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For now.

That number used to be much closer to 90/10, and the trend isn't looking good for Windows. If they continue to gently caress it up, they might find themselves losing a critical mass of that marketshare where 'Windows is the default' is no longer the foregone conclusion.

Fair enough. I do think it is possible that Google is more dangerous to Microsoft than Apple is - they have been doing a bit of a slow burn with Chrome but I could see it flare up into a viable contender pretty quickly. And Microsoft pushing web apps makes it ironically easier to avoid running Windows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MAUI is kind of my great last hope to not have to write whatever flavor of the month JS framework exists today. I'd list them right now, but it'll be out of date before I finish this post.
I've started doing coding work at work, and it was either Java or a web app. I suppose I'm not yet in the accepting stage like most other web developers, because I have to believe they all just gave up, otherwise we'd not in this mess. SO much reinventing the wheel. And don't even get me started about JavaScript itself. So much poo poo missing in the base language and related base "framework", too.

Also thanks for pointing out MAUI, in the hopes it'll be something saner than React et al. I really just want something more "traditional" as UI framework (well, I have yet to check it out, but I don't want to be disappointed yet).

--edit: OK, what's this bitching about them not even using .NET for the Office rewrite and all this talk about web apps, when looking up "microsoft MAUI" on Google is all .NET this and .NET that?! I think I'm confused. I guess more React it'll be :(

beuges posted:

Office team recently announced they’re rebuilding Outlook to be cross platform on a single code base… by rewriting it as a web app.
Only thing I can find about it goes back to 2018, together with plenty of dementi.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 4, 2021

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: OK, what's this bitching about them not even using .NET for the Office rewrite and all this talk about web apps, when looking up "microsoft MAUI" on Google is all .NET this and .NET that?! I think I'm confused. I guess more React it'll be :(

Only thing I can find about it goes back to 2018, together with plenty of dementi.

It’s called Project Monarch and it’s basically replacing the desktop versions of outlook with a “web-powered” core.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've started doing coding work at work, and it was either Java or a web app. I suppose I'm not yet in the accepting stage like most other web developers, because I have to believe they all just gave up, otherwise we'd not in this mess. SO much reinventing the wheel. And don't even get me started about JavaScript itself. So much poo poo missing in the base language and related base "framework", too.

Also thanks for pointing out MAUI, in the hopes it'll be something saner than React et al. I really just want something more "traditional" as UI framework (well, I have yet to check it out, but I don't want to be disappointed yet).

If you can target the Windows desktop, I suggest giving WPF a look. I personally adore it - it's not the most perfect framework ever -- It's harder to learn, has some goofy rules and tends to be a bit verbose, but it's about as close as I've ever seen. C# is also just an outstanding language to be writing. The really killer app here though is WPF's integration with VS. The tooling is so monstrously good when with a bit of practice and understanding. The C# desktop stack though is so, so much better than anything web I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Crossposting from the Windows Software Megathread.

Help me goons, you're my only hope.

I want to use Microsoft Lists for something in work, basically a list of clients and some details about them. I've already got a prototype with fake data but I'd like to be able to format the appearance of the list to resemble a Word document with a table. At the moment each field is its own column - I'd like to be able to treat those as fields in a table whose layout I can customise.

That's kinda what I want it to look like. At the moment in Lists I have to scroll across quite a number of columns to see all the information.

I don't know if this requires JSON, or even if Lists is the right thing to use. The IT guys at my place were keen on Lists but I don't know if another part of Teams or Office would be better. I thought about an Access database but it's been literally 20 years since I used it and I'd like to have something that can be accessed via Teams or in the cloud at least.

Any ideas?

Edit: Would Power BI or Power Apps be an option to configure a UI?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you can target the Windows desktop, I suggest giving WPF a look. I personally adore it - it's not the most perfect framework ever -- It's harder to learn, has some goofy rules and tends to be a bit verbose, but it's about as close as I've ever seen. C# is also just an outstanding language to be writing. The really killer app here though is WPF's integration with VS. The tooling is so monstrously good when with a bit of practice and understanding. The C# desktop stack though is so, so much better than anything web I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
I wanted to do WPF until the whole virtual desktop infrastructure would be at a point to switch to WinUI 3.0.

But the head of IT despises Microsoft and has a hard-on for IBM i-Series and anything related. Yet they won't replace their desktop environment with something Linux and OpenOffice and never plan to. And once considered getting Dynamics AX for a sister company (because they couldn't adapt their self-developed ERP because it's three decades of spaghetti made of RPG and "recently" Java, all badly documented or even undocumented, and that includes the database schema too, but I digress...)

On the UI side, they're predominantly Java with SWT. Their external consultant has been pushing towards web technologies, and I just jumped on that instead. While we're not part of IT, my boss wanted me to code in a language those clowns could maintain, in case I'm ill or quit. I tried to get into Java, but IMO Eclipse and SWT are also both clusterfucks. I looked into JavaFX to have a more modern UI toolkit over SWT, but judging their Github activity, it's quasi dead. And by some comments recorded on Youtube from some Eclipse conference, they have a hard time to get people to maintain SWT, too.

poo poo's all hosed up.

--edit:

beuges posted:

It’s called Project Monarch and it’s basically replacing the desktop versions of outlook with a “web-powered” core.
If the current Outlook web client is the basis of this, then oof.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 4, 2021

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Combat Pretzel posted:

But the head of IT despises Microsoft and has a hard-on for IBM i-Series

lolwut

Ok. To be fair, I'm a fan of AIX, myself. My career would be vastly different without it. But seriously, i-series?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, IDK.

Apparently there's a POWER10 based i-Series mainframe coming, and he already has a hard-on for that, too. Said external consultant really got him excited about all the ML stuff that comes with the CPU. I'm not even sure why, because any actual data analysis happens in my department, and we don't have an use for it. They're really just doing ERP things (well, more likely production data input-output, because any actual planning is done by third party tools and us manually).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, IDK.

Apparently there's a POWER10 based i-Series mainframe coming, and he already has a hard-on for that, too. Said external consultant really got him excited about all the ML stuff that comes with the CPU. I'm not even sure why, because any actual data analysis happens in my department, and we don't have an use for it. They're really just doing ERP things (well, more likely production data input-output, because any actual planning is done by third party tools and us manually).

I mean, yeah. The hardware is pretty fantastic if you can use it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

beuges posted:

Oh, it's just Outlook? Then what's the problem? People were talking about this like Word and Excel were going to become Electron versions of their respective webapps or something like that.

Good riddance to Outlook.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Browser Outlook is good, and if it didn't have the deal-breaking issue of opening different mailboxes in a new browser tab (even when you save it as an app, you click another mailbox and it opens it in Edge instead) then I'd have saved it as an app and switched to it already. Reworking it as a dedicated app should be great.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

wolrah posted:

Oh, it's just Outlook? Then what's the problem? People were talking about this like Word and Excel were going to become Electron versions of their respective webapps or something like that.

Good riddance to Outlook.

My gripe isn’t about Outlook specifically, but rather that MS is releasing yet another dev framework (MAUI) which is meant to be cross platform across iOS, android, windows, Linux and web from a single code base. And instead of instilling developer confidence in this new framework by building the new Outlook on top of it, they’re wrapping the web version instead. So as a developer, why should I use MAUI as a framework when MS isn’t using it themselves?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That article is very vague about monarch and just what 'web technologies' entails and makes assumptions about that, I'm not gonna jump on 'they're just wrapping the web app' yet. It may be a reference to some strategy like embedding Edge-WebView2 controls for certain rendering tasks.

That said, if they are doing it all as a web app wrap:

beuges posted:

MS is releasing yet another dev framework (MAUI) which is meant to be cross platform across iOS, android, windows, Linux and web from a single code base.

MAUI is, by my understanding, not web, only native app. Outlook in particular as an app is one that's used more than the rest of office as a web app in contexts where people may want full capability, so it makes some sense that that in particular wouldn't use MAUI if they're aiming for a single codebase.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 5, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They're probably really proud about that acronym.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

beuges posted:

My gripe isn’t about Outlook specifically, but rather that MS is releasing yet another dev framework (MAUI) which is meant to be cross platform across iOS, android, windows, Linux and web from a single code base. And instead of instilling developer confidence in this new framework by building the new Outlook on top of it, they’re wrapping the web version instead. So as a developer, why should I use MAUI as a framework when MS isn’t using it themselves?

a. Say Office was using it, does that mean it is good? The office team made UWP versions of stuff for Office Mobile and UWP sucked.

a. If you have been around for any length of time, how is it a shock to you that one part of MS is in open rebellion against another part of MS? That's what they do!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

a. Say Office was using it, does that mean it is good? The office team made UWP versions of stuff for Office Mobile and UWP sucked.
UWP Onenote is better than the original one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use browser Outlook all the time, but separate instances for different accounts, so the mailbox behavior is not something I've run into.

What I do run into all the drat time is that you cannot set the default for calendar entries to "do not remind me." I have to use Outlook for scheduling, so every single goddamn entry I make requires editing to turn off the default reminder, or I get flooded with notifications. I've submitted multiple reports about this, but Microsoft does not appear to care. The installed version of Outlook doesn't have this problem, and while I have grown to generally prefer the web version this one piece of stupidity makes me consider going back to using full Outlook at least some of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Outlook on Web is fine if you are working with, and only with emails. As you start to leverage more and more features of the client though, the web app falls behind badly. The calendar is a perfect example of this, where it seems like it would do most of the things on the surface, but you see fewer details about the meeting, who's attending, mailing lists. etc. If you want to schedule meetings, the scheduling assistant is inferior in feature and interface. As you dig further into this, there are bits of information just missing in places they used to be. The further you leave the 'most core feature set' of the software, the more you end up missing the desktop version of Outlook.

This is going to drift into 'Canine Blues Arooo bitches about Web for the 18th time on this forum', but I'll leave it at this: The Web Apologist crew constantly insists that you can do just as much on the browser as you can on the desktop, but there are literal zero examples of these massive, feature rich apps making the transition to web without making major tradeoffs in UX, features, or both. Web is kind of a disaster and I'm bummed a piece of the Office suite is being sacrificed at that alter when MS themselves have cross-platform UI Framework solutions (as mentioned in this thread).