Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sublimer posted:

Well bad news all! A few weeks ago a pickup drifted into my lane from oncoming traffic and hit me nearly head on. Pretty sure they were texting. My tough old Jetta kept me pretty safe RIP. I know this car wasn't anything too fancy, but I loved it. 2010 manual transmission Wolfsburg Edition with only about 80k miles on it. It was fun to drive and I will miss it.

It kinda looks like my Jetta did more damage to the truck.

Check out this Volkswagen logo I now have on my forearm lol

Dude, that sucks. Glad you are okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Worked as intended, glad you're OK!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I found a DSG Sport with 30k miles, super clean, super stock, $21k. Night Blue Metallic. Didn’t think the DSG would do me right until I spent a weekend test driving Mazda3s and decided that a fast auto with fun flappy paddles makes more sense as a commuter right now. We’re in love and we’re getting married. ✌🏼

Now I get to call the other place and cancel that deposit.

Cancelled that deposit. Unfortunately I’m just not financially in a place, and the market isn’t in a place, where I can comfortably afford the GTI that I really want without shelling way too much in monthly payments, and I’m not really keen on spending $24k when all is said and done on a 2017 GTI, that while very nice, isn’t really the one that I want either.

I keep looking at the 7.5 refreshes and thinking how much nicer they look than the 7’s, and how much I’d rather have one of those, and everybody with a used one that has less than 50k miles on it wants like $30 grand for it.

In two or three years, after the Mk8 has come to America (its fugly btw), the bubble will hopefully have long-ago burst, and lots of 2019s and 2020s and 2021s will be on the market for reasonable sums. Or at least they’ll cost way less than they do now. Or I’ll end up in a hotted up Civic, the new redesign looks gorgeous.

In the meantime, I can pay like $5-10k less and get a well sorted-to-certified Mazda3 with a plush-rear end interior that will coddle me through the rough streets of Eastern Massachusetts. I can save a grand or two by going with a stick, but I’m wondering if it’ll become a pain after a while.

I should just get an auto and then get around to dumping $2k into my e36 just to get it drivable again.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The other thing too is that I blew one of the Pirelli P-Zeros on the GTI during my test drive, while going over a manhole cover, because it’s got big, lovely, option rims on it. They’re loud on the road too.

And for the last 48 hours all I’ve been thinking is how the very first thing I’d wanna do to the car is drop another $1500 replacing the wheels. And it’s just kinda turned me off on the whole thing.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Sublimer posted:

(I'm sorry for both what happened and this terrible joke. Will you get a decent insurance payment?)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sublimer posted:

Well bad news all! A few weeks ago a pickup drifted into my lane from oncoming traffic and hit me nearly head on. Pretty sure they were texting. My tough old Jetta kept me pretty safe RIP. I know this car wasn't anything too fancy, but I loved it. 2010 manual transmission Wolfsburg Edition with only about 80k miles on it. It was fun to drive and I will miss it.

holy poo poo that suck man. I am glad you are (presumably) mostly okay.

salute to the fallen soldier though, the car was a good car

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

In the meantime, I can pay like $5-10k less and get a well sorted-to-certified Mazda3 with a plush-rear end interior that will coddle me through the rough streets of Eastern Massachusetts. I can save a grand or two by going with a stick, but I’m wondering if it’ll become a pain after a while.

I should just get an auto and then get around to dumping $2k into my e36 just to get it drivable again.

FWIW I just sold my 2014 sGT mazda3 with tech package, so basically every option, but auto. The auto was...fine. I had it for about 3.5 years and a bit less than 20k miles. I sold it because I really regretted not having the manual. It absolutely was very comfy and very much a sensible solid choice. bought it with 31k miles for $16.8k and sold it with 49k for $15.7k. Was great reliable to me and was absolutely a very nice feeling interior. I don't think I would have sold it if I had stuck it out and found a manual. I know you are coming to this as the compromise pick (which I did too, I really wanted a new FoST st3 at the time because there were deals to be had but even them down to $25k I didn't think it was prudent in December 2017)

As a bit of a ramble, but I think if you are a stick person it would be worthwhile to get the stick, but as a sensible alternative to save money, absolutely think that is a very good call. You may want to come out of it sooner rather than later though if the market returns to some modicum of reason.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

As a bit of a ramble, but I think if you are a stick person it would be worthwhile to get the stick, but as a sensible alternative to save money, absolutely think that is a very good call. You may want to come out of it sooner rather than later though if the market returns to some modicum of reason.

Idk, I think I’m still leery from the year I drove Lyft, in Boston of all places, after I’d left my horrible charter school job and gone back to grad school.

I got really really good at driving stick, and making it feel like an auto and all that, but I also really started to hate it after a while, and eventually I developed tendinitis in my left knee.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 1, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
always buy the manual if you can

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Or DSG, but only if you are willing to keep up with the 40k filter/gear oil maintenance schedule.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The only manuals available in the trim I want are either four hours away for $1500 less and double the miles (and not CPO), or a year newer and $2k more expensive with 50% more miles (and not CPO).

Think I’m gonna end up with an auto when all is said and done. Thinking of this more of like a touring car than anything else. Plus I got the E36 languishing.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A manual would be tough to give up, but tendinitis and lack of availability would certainly make me think about an automatic. Is the E36 a manual at least?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

always buy the manual if you can

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nitsuga posted:

A manual would be tough to give up, but tendinitis and lack of availability would certainly make me think about an automatic. Is the E36 a manual at least?

of course it is

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

Or DSG, but only if you are willing to keep up with the 40k filter/gear oil maintenance schedule.

It’s now 80k on the 7 speed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rusty posted:

It’s now 80k on the 7 speed.

Nice. Wonder what they did to achieve that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The DSG is real good, though. Zero regrets in getting that over a manual.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

The other thing too is that I blew one of the Pirelli P-Zeros on the GTI during my test drive, while going over a manhole cover, because it’s got big, lovely, option rims on it. They’re loud on the road too.

Lol at driving on Boston roads without tire insurance.

It was a good year if I only blew out two 18s on my mk vi.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 2, 2021

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Bonus points for not needing a new clutch with an ECU tune.

Suburban Dad posted:

The DSG is real good, though. Zero regrets in getting that over a manual.

I actually regret not getting a DSG in my 2010 GTI. It was still a fun car to drive, and I had it for 10 years. I'm glad the Pure Gray GLI the dealer had on the lot was a DSG.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 2, 2021

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

dialhforhero posted:

(I'm sorry for both what happened and this terrible joke. Will you get a decent insurance payment?)

Insurance company offered me what I thought was a pretty fair amount, but a close friend of mine is a lawyer and he offered to handle the insurance company for me for free. I don't know how much negotiating can really be done but I figure it can't hurt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mad Dragon posted:

Bonus points for not needing a new clutch with an ECU tune.

I actually regret not getting a DSG in my 2010 GTI. It was still a fun car to drive, and I had it for 10 years. I'm glad the Pure Gray GLI the dealer had on the lot was a DSG.

Sometimes. On the TDIs you gotta upgrade the clutch pack after Stage II I think.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Murgos posted:

It was a good year if I only blew out two 18s on my mk vi.

Lmao I can't imagine living somewhere with roads so bad I'd have to get tire insurance. I've driven my polo GTI for nearly 9 years now including on gravel roads and the only flat I've ever had was from a nail.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Murgos posted:

is that what you call it when you replace your 18s with 17s? And only because you can’t fit 16s around your brakes?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wish I could fit smaller than 18" around my brakes ☹️ At least my Audi A6 fits 15" :swoon:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Sublimer posted:

LOL I have this same model, year, trim and color truck. It's such a poo poo box, but glad to see the passenger compartment held up. (and on yours, too of course)

Glad you aren't hurt worse, and good luck getting every cent you deserve!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Quote is not edit

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Can someone please enlighten me about DSG fluid changes? Supposed to be a 3-year item on the Huracan, but mileage-based on the TT RS (40k miles; weirdly the AWD clutch fluid for the TT is 3-years, not mileage-based)

Any idea which is more appropriate? Does it need to be more frequent if tracking?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

is that what you call it when you replace your 18s with 17s? And only because you can’t fit 16s around your brakes?

The 19’s on my Audi are surprisingly more durable than the VW 18s were. Don’t know if it’s something about the wider wheel that provides more material and structure for the sidewalls? The 18 blizzacks I got for winter held up fine to some pretty deep potholes at speed.

Or, maybe it was just luck.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I used to bust tires all the time on the 18s on my old BMW E90. My Audi had 19s tho and never had a problem on the same roads so you may have something there.

I've taken a number of hard hits on the 19s in my Merc so I guess we'll see if it's made of sterner stuff as well lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

flightless greeb posted:

I used to bust tires all the time on the 18s on my old BMW E90. My Audi had 19s tho and never had a problem on the same roads so you may have something there.
same here, i never ever worried about running over potholes when i drove audis but in my e92 i am constantly on edge driving through boston

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

got off on a technicality posted:

Can someone please enlighten me about DSG fluid changes? Supposed to be a 3-year item on the Huracan, but mileage-based on the TT RS (40k miles; weirdly the AWD clutch fluid for the TT is 3-years, not mileage-based)

Any idea which is more appropriate? Does it need to be more frequent if tracking?

just do it early if you're tracking

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
It's weird how much nicer the clutch in my husbands tdi sportwagen feels than the one in my gti.

E: I feel like I suck too much when I'm driving the gti with the ac on, but whatever.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 8, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Well the seal to my right headlight went, hopefully it's covered under the cpo warranty.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

It's weird how much nicer the clutch in my husbands tdi sportwagen feels than the one in my gti.

E: I feel like I suck too much when I'm driving the gti with the ac on, but whatever.

What year GTI? I was really surprised how much drain on the motor the AC produces in my 07 GTI. I guess you feel it because it's such a weak motor at the low RPMs, and you're in that range when accelerating/shifting from a stop.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

What year GTI? I was really surprised how much drain on the motor the AC produces in my 07 GTI. I guess you feel it because it's such a weak motor at the low RPMs, and you're in that range when accelerating/shifting from a stop.

It's a 16. It takes some getting used to on my part to drive it smoothly in the summer certainly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

It's a 16. It takes some getting used to on my part to drive it smoothly in the summer certainly.

I guess it's just what you get with a turbo low compression 2L motor. When I first got mine I actually stalled it a few times (been driving stick for 15 years) and for some reason you can't just put your clutch in and restart the motor, you have to like turn the key completely off and then clutch in and start the car again. I stalled it turning left across a 4 lane highway and this was a harrowing way to learn this particular quirk.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Well, the right headlight on my GTI had the seal fail for whatever reason, thankfully that's still under warranty for another month and a half. Better the 50 dollar CPO deductible than paying the 1320 prior to labor for the whole light assembly.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I am selling my 1999 A6 with 336000km's. Asking 2000€ with summer and winter tyres. Someone is coming to "look at it" tomorrow 🤷‍♂️

I would be very sad if it sold. I've owned the car since 2004, over 17 years. I've gotten kind of attached to it. It's like my own child. Well I guess even cars must eventually move on when they get old enough.

Still.. it has been a very good car. I'm selling it because I lost my driver's license and owning an S8 simultaneously is getting kind of expensive. Maintaining two 20+ year old cars is a bit of a chore in the long run.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Well, the right headlight on my GTI had the seal fail for whatever reason, thankfully that's still under warranty for another month and a half. Better the 50 dollar CPO deductible than paying the 1320 prior to labor for the whole light assembly.

For what it's worth, my brother has been running his '10 base model Golf with a chunk of the clear plastic of the headlight missing for over two years, and the (halogen) bulb still burns. Not sure if it's apples to apples, and great if you can get it done under CPO, but for $1,320+ for a new assembly man I'd hold off until I was replacing H7's every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The driver's side headlight in my Q7 tends to get a lot of moisture so I'm guessing the seal is toast as well