Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sab669 posted:

Woohoo, my Index arrived 2 hours ago. Pretty painless setup, although I think my bed is interfering with Room Scale while trying to set up the perimeter so I just configured it for "Stationary Mode". Played a good amount of Beat Saber and the first mission in Alyx but then my face needed a break from the weight of the headset.

As was suggested, I guess I'll have to make generous use of Steams return policy to figure out what to get on sale right now, but it'll be a battle of buy, download, play, need to give my face a breather from the mask and repeat with another title :v:

Viveport trials too.

Infinity is dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah that first week of VR headset ownership was just a flurry of bad financial decisions.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

raditts posted:

If only he would put his garbage hot takes behind a paywall where nobody would have to see them by accident.

:vince:

I'm stealing this one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sab669 posted:

Woohoo, my Index arrived 2 hours ago. Pretty painless setup, although I think my bed is interfering with Room Scale while trying to set up the perimeter so I just configured it for "Stationary Mode". Played a good amount of Beat Saber and the first mission in Alyx but then my face needed a break from the weight of the headset.

Fudge the playspace out over your bed, I did the same with my couch.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

explosivo posted:

I might just keep using my t-shirt.. I feel like I must be doing something wrong with this lens pen (Nikon), either pushing too hard or not pushing hard enough, because it feels 'tacky' when I run the pad across the lens like there's a film on it and I almost always have to wipe it down with my shirt afterwards and it makes a world of difference.

Also, I played some more Arizona Sunshine with my friend last night and it's clearly early VR as hell but that game's alright. I've since learned to be okay with full locomotion and it makes a big difference being able to walk around instead of teleport in that game. That said the player models look hilariously bad moving around. Seeing my friend crab walking up to me in the dark cave level wearing a creepy mask was one of the more terrifying experiences I've had in VR.

I just breathe humidly on the lens to fog it and wipe. Water is great at loosening stuff, I believe because it’s slightly polarized?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Bought Megaton Rainfall for like $5 on the steam sale.

No clue what it will be like, but the gameplay videos look fun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the best FPS for VR?
I was going to ask what's the best way to play Doom on VR, but I don't really have any attachment to Doom.

Stan Taylor posted:

Anything cool I should grab in the steam sale? Boneworks or vertigo worth it? I could also use another arcadey style game for when people come over to try out vr. I have audica and beat saber and pistol whip. Any other fun small unique experiences?

Propagation and Hot Squats are both way more fun than I expected. They're both free too. Propagation has a co-op DLC, but I've never seen anyone else on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That sorta depends upon what you want out of a VR FPS.

If you want more of a single player experience, Alyx or Boneworks.

If you want more of a competitive counterstrike, Onward or Pavlov.

If you wanna feel like Neo in the Matrix, Superhot or Pistol Whip.

If you want a battle royale, Population: ONE.

If you want a simulator, Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zaphod42 posted:

If you want more of a single player experience, Alyx or Boneworks.

If you want more of a competitive counterstrike, Onward or Pavlov.

If you wanna feel like Neo in the Matrix, Superhot or Pistol Whip.

If you want a battle royale, Population: ONE.

If you want a simulator, Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades.

A good list. Although I would add Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners to the single player genre. I hate WD poo poo in general (except for the Telltale games) but this is an all out fantastic VR game. It has some less than great elements, mostly the timer, but it does help keep things tense. Do not buy the other Walking Dead VR game. I don't remember the name but I returned it immediately.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Population One is so good. Yes it’s battle royal but get a 3 squad together and it’s amazing

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Zaphod42 posted:

Echo Arena is one I'd add to the list if you want a competitive team sport to enjoy

It's worth the price of the headset for me.

edit: oh FPS, but whatever it's a blast

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 1, 2021

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Surv1v3 is pretty dang fun too. Melee is trash but the guns feel nice.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

explosivo posted:

Is there some kind of co-op thing I can do with a friend or is it just get in a party and play competitive multiplayer if you can find other people to play with?

There's competent bots and a few different game modes including a "protect the convoy" one that's pretty fun in co-op.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

My wishlist for vr things that don't exist is a clone of Thrill Of The Fight, but with a more polished look and more content, maybe some story/progression/rpg elements to motivate coming back every day.

And then Fallout NV VR would also be great, thanks. Especially if they could develop a complete rifle system and not the Fallout 4 vr shite

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KinkyJohn posted:

My wishlist for vr things that don't exist is a clone of Thrill Of The Fight, but with a more polished look and more content, maybe some story/progression/rpg elements to motivate coming back every day.

And then Fallout NV VR would also be great, thanks. Especially if they could develop a complete rifle system and not the Fallout 4 vr shite

I want a proper point-and-click-style adventure game. I don't get how you pick up a property like Sam and Max, and don't go anywhere near the ballpark of "pick up item and use on Thing/Person, Talk to Person" in your game design.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want a proper point-and-click-style adventure game. I don't get how you pick up a property like Sam and Max, and don't go anywhere near the ballpark of "pick up item and use on Thing/Person, Talk to Person" in your game design.

The Secret of Retropolis is basically a point and click adventure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-nIhRHhV5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXfQpfgA_OY

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a way to make the Recording tool in Nvidia Experience record only the VR game?

https://imgur.com/r8cccJp

This is what I get :( I don't want to see my desktop and everything.

Also is there a way to quickly do the camera passthrough feature thingamajig? I tried to google it but all I can find are demonstrations of the different passthrough modes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’ve been tinkering with recording, and I have it working pretty well. This video:

https://youtu.be/gSCJtQMHZ4w

Was pretty helpful.

OVR Toolkit also is immensely useful if you want to interact with things other than the game without leaving the VR environment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrYenko posted:

I’ve been tinkering with recording, and I have it working pretty well. This video:

https://youtu.be/gSCJtQMHZ4w

Was pretty helpful.

OVR Toolkit also is immensely useful if you want to interact with things other than the game without leaving the VR environment.

I'd honestly recommend XS Overlay over OVR Toolkit. It's much more optimized and doesn't hog the CPU as much.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

For people who have played Vacation Simulator, is there any game (doesn't have to be VR) that is like the Sandcastle minigame puzzle? I was really digging the perspective-based pseudo-picross deal they had going on but there's just not enough.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Sab669 posted:

As was suggested, I guess I'll have to make generous use of Steams return policy to figure out what to get on sale right now, but it'll be a battle of buy, download, play, need to give my face a breather from the mask and repeat with another title :v:

protip: if you can't quite get the full room-scale, but you're *really close*, just fudge it by making the space not actually safe (like, go over your bed) and then use ChaperoneTweak to create a custom chaperone that reflects the obstacles so you won't crash into them. This is what I had to do because there is a desk corner intruding into my playspace.

I guess you could also do this if you weren't really close, but some games will not appreciate that very much

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm really enjoying Half Life Alyx but suspect I might be quite bad at it. I'm in the third chapter and out of curiosity checked out how much resin I could have at this point in the game, and it's about double what I've collected. Should I start over and go completionist? I'm concerned I'm not being through enough in exploring (I don't get a huge amount of time per session so while I like to look around I'm definitely not finding everything) and it'll lock me out of important upgrades. I'm also tempted to drop the difficulty from normal as headcrabs have suddenly gone from dying in a single shot to taking 3-4 and I'm constantly running low on ammo, although I guess that's the intended experience to a certain extent.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

You're not supposed to get all of the resin in your first playthrough. You can finish the game entirely without upgrading a single thing so it's really not that important. But expect to fully upgrade only one weapon if you're just playing and not scrounging every. single. environment. Which is fun, but don't miss the forest for the trees

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's also worth saving your Resin for the third gun you'll get rather the second, which only really benefits from the auto-loader. All the pistol's upgrades are worth getting at least.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah the resin is really a reward for exploring, a usable amount is laying around, but the rest is something to get from nooks and crannies.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Thanks, I guess I won't bother restarting but I'll probably still drop the difficulty. I've only encountered one armoured headcrab that wasn't trapped behind a fence and I did a lot of running away while trying to line up a good shot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Boat posted:

Thanks, I guess I won't bother restarting but I'll probably still drop the difficulty. I've only encountered one armoured headcrab that wasn't trapped behind a fence and I did a lot of running away while trying to line up a good shot.

Just wait til the little fuckers rear up and hiss at you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How is the map/mod community going for HL Alyx?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I will also say, don't worry about ammo. Alyx uses a dynamically adjusting pickup system that constantly evaluates your HP, ammo, etc when deciding if a specific placement of a drop is still there when you get to it or not.

If you're flush with ammo it will give you the bare minimum to keep you topped off, but if you're firing like a madman and always low it will throw gobs of ammo at you constantly.

If you could turn that system off and just get every ammo pickup placed by the level designers, you'd have dozens of thousands of rounds by the end of the game.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

DelphiAegis posted:

I will also say, don't worry about ammo. Alyx uses a dynamically adjusting pickup system that constantly evaluates your HP, ammo, etc when deciding if a specific placement of a drop is still there when you get to it or not.

If you're flush with ammo it will give you the bare minimum to keep you topped off, but if you're firing like a madman and always low it will throw gobs of ammo at you constantly.

If you could turn that system off and just get every ammo pickup placed by the level designers, you'd have dozens of thousands of rounds by the end of the game.

I keep seeing this information but my shotgun has never been full.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The shotgun always seems to be low; I never got past 13 shells in my backpack, and I was never short on ammo for anything else. If I just didn't use the shotgun then I never got any extra, it really didn't want me to go over 13 spare shells.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm stuck in Alyx early in Chapter 2. I must be missing something extremely obvious but I have no idea what it is, and I don't want to google the answer. Can anyone give me a hint?

I just passed some green glowing floating cardboard in a hallway, then come out to a small outdoor section with more glowing cardboard and a bunch of blue glowing artwork on the walls. Alyx comments it looks like the Vortigaunts. The cardboard seems to be making a giant circle, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do.

Also at the other end of the room is an electrical box with maybe a 5x5 grid of buttons I can press. I'm guessing this is some puzzle where I need to hit the correct combination, but I sure as hell can't figure it out. I assume there's some clue in all the artwork, but yea I'm completely blanking on it??

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The artwork has a grid on it that tells you which button(s) you need to press, it took me a minute to realise the first time as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Turin Turambar posted:

How is the map/mod community going for HL Alyx?

Alex seems to attract some really unique modders. I haven't played many mods, but a couple of highlights were a super detailed cannon simulator and a "museum" where the only exhibit is the museum itself, inside which is the museum, etc.

Yeah, those are old news by now but it's amazing the kinda of things people can make in that engine. Now we just need Garry's Mod:Alyx.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Alex seems to attract some really unique modders. I haven't played many mods, but a couple of highlights were a super detailed cannon simulator and a "museum" where the only exhibit is the museum itself, inside which is the museum, etc.

Yeah, those are old news by now but it's amazing the kinda of things people can make in that engine. Now we just need Garry's Mod:Alyx.

gently caress yeah I can't wait to have a jpeg of the girl from the exorcist flying at my face in VR

I'll take one surf map with a detailed secret puzzle maze under the map please :shobon:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

A big problem with Alyx mods is the Valve crapped out the mod tools and instantly abandoned them. There are a bunch of bugs with the add-on system and while making custom maps generally works well, there is almost no support for other mods. The scripting system is full of outdated and broken features (since it wasn't even used in Alyx), so it has even less support than earlier Source 2 titles.

Any significant mods like the NOVR one are done by reverse engineering the code and hooking function calls.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

LLSix posted:

What's the best FPS for VR?
I was going to ask what's the best way to play Doom on VR, but I don't really have any attachment to Doom.

I mean... DOOM VFR is actually really fun and frantic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rectus posted:

A big problem with Alyx mods is the Valve crapped out the mod tools and instantly abandoned them. There are a bunch of bugs with the add-on system and while making custom maps generally works well, there is almost no support for other mods. The scripting system is full of outdated and broken features (since it wasn't even used in Alyx), so it has even less support than earlier Source 2 titles.

Any significant mods like the NOVR one are done by reverse engineering the code and hooking function calls.

Damnit. Not enough GAAS for Valve to make the effort...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I played a demo on Steam, of a game called Antiprism.

It’s a space shooter. It has the gimmick of controlling not one, but two ships at the same time. Each one appears static in front of each hand, at ~50 cms away, and while they can be moved around, there are some invisible limits, they won’t move much further away from the default position (so just enough to avoid enemy fire).

It’s basically, another basic rear end VR arcade shooter that reminds me at designs previous to 1991. Why? Let’s see:
You fire a single weapon with each ship. You don’t switch in between different weapons depending on the enemies, you don’t collect ammo, or health, or not even powerups (from what I saw in the first four levels). You don’t have items to use. By virtue of being in space, there is no enough gameplay variety in regard to scenario, like close combat vs far combat. I didn’t see any enemies that could count as doing anything worth describing.
This doesn’t mean the game is easy, it eventually gets bullet hell-y but meh, that doesn’t mean is interesting to play. It has a basic upgrade ship functionality in between missions, and that’s it.

It also made me wonder about the lack of polish of the game. For example, the game has zero feeling of the ships moving and combating through space, they are more like sock puppets in your hands. But I thought that adding some trails to them Homeworld style (so when they are still, the trail goes backwards, implying movement) and adding some slow moving stars in the background would greatly improve the feel of fighting in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh yeah, I had paused my A Rogue Escape playthorough, but I finished it today.

There is no replay value here. The roguelike aspect is almost non existent. And it’s actually pretty easy, I completed it in first try, without no problems.

Honestly, I believe this game had a grander design but at some point the author had to cut it down to a bare minimum. Half of the design is barely baked:
Things like the inventory system with consumables is barely used.
There is no difficulty settings so you can’t try to make it harder.
The items have a weight rating but I’m not sure if it even matters?
You find a merchant to buy and sell items… but that’s it, a single merchant in the entire game, I thought that indicated a grander adventure than what it ends up being.
At some point you gain the ability to travel between point of interests but there are just three and are very similar.
You gain a weapon so you believe there is combat… but it’s only that single weapon that you can shoot during the rest of the game.
There are three controls to distribute power between altitude, speed and radiation shields, which makes you imagine several types of situations that need different ratios… in reality you only move with the speed, and only activate the other two where there in event A (put up the shields) or event B (use the altitude lever). That’s it.

It’s a pity, I have the feeling that with 6-8 months more of development it would have transformed into one of the most interesting VR titles.