Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yo, Aliens are scary.

But, do you know what's scarier....?

CAPITALISM

*pauses, waits for applause and adulation, begins farting into glass and savors the smell like a fine wine*

But, for real, capitalism is evil as poo poo and gently caress anyone who supports it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Covok posted:

Yo, Aliens are scary.

But, do you know what's scarier....?

CAPITALISM

*pauses, waits for applause and adulation, begins farting into glass and savors the smell like a fine wine*

But, for real, capitalism is evil as poo poo and gently caress anyone who supports it.

I mean, that's just the 1979 film.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ll wake up when they change the WY name to Disney.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ll wake up when they change the WY name to Disney.

only one is named after a nazi sympathizer

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The comic isn't very good and it looks like they're trying to introduce a queen like the monster from Species.

She/it has pouty lips and the main character dreams of her.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Azubah posted:

The comic isn't very good and it looks like they're trying to introduce a queen like the monster from Species.

lol no way

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I haven't read many Alien comics, but the last one I checked out was James Stokoe's Dead Orbit and it's hard to imagine anything topping that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

In defense of that creature design, it’s based directly on some of Giger’s artwork.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I haven't read many Alien comics, but the last one I checked out was James Stokoe's Dead Orbit and it's hard to imagine anything topping that.

I didn’t care for Dead Orbit, or at least not the first half where a lot of the artwork seemed busy just for busy’s sake and the characters run the “HGK!” onomatopoeia into the ground by using it 108 times (I counted). The second half is better, but not enough to redeem the first half.

If you’re jonesing for modern Aliens comics, Aliens: Dust to Dust is great, and the first volume of Aliens: Defiance is cool (the second volume nosedives pretty hard).

Aliens: Dust to Dust https://www.amazon.com/dp/1506707920/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1KED1XVB4QFJ2ES61VXK

Aliens: Defiance Volume 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1506701264/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7BWY38D49TK7G6RVDGZQ

And if you want older stuff, Aliens: Labyrinth is top tier, as is Aliens: Tribes. A lot of other older comics are fun mindless pulp but some of them do some neat things with different topics. It’s a pretty random grab bag (much like the movies, which vary greatly in tone and themes), it’s part of why I like the franchise.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Aliens: Cold Forge has a sequel by the same author that's pretty decent.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
There are like six omnibus collections of the Aliens comics from Dark Horse but unfortunately only about 1/4 of them are any good. Some of them are pretty great though; I do remember a cool one from Mike Mignola. For whatever reason I find that Aliens comics always seem to be intentionally obtuse - either the art or the story - and they can be really frustrating to enjoy. Most of them also repeat the same story beats (WY bad, working people get hosed, infection, outbreak!) with not much new to offer.

As Xeno said for recent ones, the first volume of Defiance is really good. Shame the 2nd part sucks, they had a great thing going with the two main characters of the first half.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For what it’s worth, WY actually never shows up in any of the old 90s Aliens comics, for some reason. I think it gets name dropped, like, once? Twice if you count the AVP comics?

I disagree that they repeat the same stuff; there’s a recurring mad scientist trope (Labyrinth, Purge, Rogue, Nightmare Asylum kinda) but their experiments tend to be unique enough each time to keep the idea fresh (or, in Labyrinth’s case, subvert it entirely). There’s a pair of comics that tackle religion from different angles (Sacrifice, and the Mignola-drawn one, Salvation), a pair of intentionally schlock macho action comics (Mondo Pest and Mondo Heat), an ongoing comic about a squad of Marines that goes totally off the rails (Colonial Marines), a bunch of neat little anthology stories, a comic with Vikings fighting an Alien (Stalker), one about an Android revolt (Stronghold), one with a colony of lepers and a half-Alien android (Purge), one literally about a musician making music from Alien noises (Music of the Spears), one about a mutant chest burster that makes people explode (Kidnapped), a ‘Heart of Darkness’ ripoff (Apocalypse), one where literally every page is drawn by a different artist (Havoc), a Lovecraft ripoff (Elder Gods), one about a guy with a terminal illness making a robot Alien (Hive), and a bunch I’m forgetting.

The 90s comics are seriously all over the place in terms of story, art, ideas, and quality.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wasn't there one where humans were getting high off xeno slime/goop and it was this special drug? I think it might have been part of Music of the Spears maybe? My memory is really rusty but I think they actually pulled it off as a reasonable angle somehow.

Also, people were talking video games and there's a new one coming out soon. It seems to merge all of the movies from the looks of things, so while it seems to be aimed at the Aliens fantasy of being a squad of marines it also has Prometheus architecture and some new and unusual aliens, with one looking akin to the trilobite from Prometheus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ8fZ4cKa1U

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SUNKOS posted:

Wasn't there one where humans were getting high off xeno slime/goop and it was this special drug? I think it might have been part of Music of the Spears maybe? My memory is really rusty but I think they actually pulled it off as a reasonable angle somehow.

The Queen's Royal Jelly was turned into an ultra PED that had a slight side effect of turning people into berserkers. There was a sprinter who just kept running and splatted into a wall or something. This is all vague recollections from the Aliens: Genocide novelization that I read in sixth grade.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah, Royal Jelly was used as a narcotic and occasionally as a proto-Black Goo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah IIRC they mention royal jelly offhand in the Music of the Spears (and I think maybe even in Earth Hive novelization) but it's not til a little later that they go into its full significance.

I forget wasn't there even one where a guy makes like a robot xenomorph suit to walk around in so he can walk into hives and take royal jelly easily?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yes, that was in Aliens: Harvest/Hive. It was a legit robot Alien and not a suit, too.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I just finished Alien: Into Charybdis. It's a sequel to The Cold Forge by the same author, so worth checking out if you liked that. I mostly enjoyed it, with one quibble that involves a pretty major spoiler.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

david_a posted:

The Queen's Royal Jelly was turned into an ultra PED that had a slight side effect of turning people into berserkers. There was a sprinter who just kept running and splatted into a wall or something. This is all vague recollections from the Aliens: Genocide novelization that I read in sixth grade.

I don't remember that and now I wanna go back and read all this stuff! Sounds like they went much farther with it than I recall.

I wonder what would happen if you mixed that jelly with the black goo and also with the black fungus stuff from Labyrinth? :2bong:

Need to track down this Alien illustrated novel that I've misplaced but just remembered because you mentioned berserkers. I remember it was a pretty standard story with a mad scientist on a station and a squad of marines goes to clear out the infestation, but it was originally a novel and then was released a second time as a larger hardback with some incredible illustrations, and it had some wonderful body horror (I think the doctor was sort-of infected and mutating somewhat? Xenos were all sat around him and wouldn't attack) but the best part was this character the marines had which was this utter maniac in a huge robotic suit of armor that went berserk and was tearing through the ship annihilating everything and it seemed like along with Labyrinth, it would make for a really entertaining movie adaption. I think the berserker guy in the suit was called poo poo Kicker or something? I remember it was pretty cool with the aliens sacrificing themselves to protect the queen, with all their deaths burning holes through levels of the ship and this huge armored maniac was just falling through everything and essentially destroying the whole station? The artwork for certain pages was incredible.

vseslav.botkin posted:

I just finished Alien: Into Charybdis. It's a sequel to The Cold Forge by the same author, so worth checking out if you liked that. I mostly enjoyed it, with one quibble that involves a pretty major spoiler.

I have The Cold Forge but haven't had a chance to read it yet, I actually forgot I had it until I saw your post but I remember buying it because everyone said it was excellent so I'm looking forward to checking it out, and I'll snag the sequel book as well now that I know it exists. I remember the early Alien novels but am completely lost with the ones that have been more recent-ish. I remember reading one which followed on directly from Alien Resurrection with Ripley and the other survivors after the end of the movie but it had a really poor start and I put it down quite quickly. I don't know if it picked up or not (I think it became a series?) but it was a bit disappointing because I thought the cast and crew of Resurrection was excellent and really memorable. I just wish Michael Wincott's character hadn't died so early.

I always wished they'd have made a prequel series set before the movie that follows that crew as they do jobs and such in the vein of Firefly, except it's set in the Aliens universe.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 24, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The graphic novel you’re thinking of with the space station and the Marines and the exo-suit is ‘Aliens: Tribes’. I think Marvel is finally going to reprint it in the near future, but I’m not totally sure.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thank you! Google image search providing a lot of nostalgia right now.

I hope Marvel reprints it, it's a classic. Have they done some reprints already? I am all over that and Labyrinth if they do.

A quick look seems to indicate that Marvel hasn't wasted any time with the license, just saw some images of Deadpool bursting out of a xeno and Venom going up against a Predator.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So far all the crossover Marvel artwork have just been fun variant covers; we haven’t actually seen Marvel characters fighting Aliens or Predators yet. There are some reprints planned but I can’t recall what’s in them yet, but I can check when I get home.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’re just covers. Some awesome covers, but no stories yet.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

vseslav.botkin posted:

I liked it but not as much as Cold Forge. I kinda wish he'd stop all the goofy reference lines that skyrocketed to 11 in this book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Azubah posted:

Speaking of the comic not being very good... I just got an email from Amazon that my pre-order for #6 has been cancelled, the link to the page for that issue is 404'd, and the page for the series lists it at 5 issues.

I mean, it wasn't that bad, but LOL.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That new aliens game kinda has Konami Aliens arcade game vibes. Lots of goofy loving mutant xenomorph models.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Aliens: Pig is the greatest Aliens comic.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of the comic not being very good... I just got an email from Amazon that my pre-order for #6 has been cancelled, the link to the page for that issue is 404'd, and the page for the series lists it at 5 issues.

The latest issue had a new "alpha" alien with shredded abs.

It's good trash.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

mllaneza posted:

They still have it on Marvels own site https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/89577/alien_2021_6 so maybe it's just getting relisted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's been a long time since I watched Alien, did the Xenomorph ever come anywhere near Ash?

Just watching an LP of Alien Isolation and it doesn't give a poo poo about the Working Joe synths and I'm wondering if that's based on the original film at all. I guss it can sense they aren't alive...? Still, their species seems ridiculously aggressive. I'd imagine they'd at least attack anything that moves.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It's been a long time since I watched Alien, did the Xenomorph ever come anywhere near Ash?

Just watching an LP of Alien Isolation and it doesn't give a poo poo about the Working Joe synths and I'm wondering if that's based on the original film at all. I guss it can sense they aren't alive...? Still, their species seems ridiculously aggressive. I'd imagine they'd at least attack anything that moves.

In Isolation it won't attack Working Joes but the Working Joes will notice it and the interaction is pretty rad imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7Eja-xWUo

The "is that yours" line from the Working Joe happens when it looks at one of your used gadgets/items on the ground :3:

The Alien queen didn't think twice about creeping up on Bishop and slicing him in half but in general I believe it is. The xenomorphs are very aggressive but they don't come anywhere near Ash in Alien. IIRC Ash is conveniently getting information from Mother/hanging around in the Mother pod for a decent chunk of the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 1, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Where is David

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NikkolasKing posted:

There’s a cut part of the Aliens script where Bishop encounters an alien while he’s crawling through that pipe. I think it snarls at him or something but largely doesn’t care.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

In Isolation it won't attack Working Joes but the Working Joes will notice it and the interaction is pretty rad imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7Eja-xWUo

The "is that yours" line from the Working Joe happens when it looks at one of your used gadgets/items on the ground :3:

The Alien queen didn't think twice about creeping up on Bishop and slicing him in half but in general I believe it is. The xenomorphs are very aggressive but they don't come anywhere near Ash in Alien. IIRC Ash is conveniently getting information from Mother/hanging around in the Mother pod for a decent chunk of the movie.

The Queen was just extremely pissed off and vengeful and Bishop was just in the way, so I don't really count that, yeah. Otherwise, you have Ash just happening to never be bothered by it in Alien, I don't recall anything going after Call in Resurrection except the Newborn maybe, and he was a weirdo, and David clearly wandering around Xenomorph types in Covenant with no care, plus Isolation, like you posted that makes me think they don't really care about androids unless they see them as a direct threat.

Darko fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 1, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Sorry to shift gears but I think we've had some Terminator stuff in here and it's Cameron related anyway. I found this oral history for T2 thats pretty cool to read

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2021/6/30/22555687/terminator-2-judgement-day-t2-oral-history

Wonder why Linda Hamilton declined the interview though? Also, I'm starting to think James Cameron is a real rear end in a top hat.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 1, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

The Queen was just extremely pissed off and vengeful and Bishop was just in the way, so I don't really count that, yeah. Otherwise, you have Ash just happening to never be bothered by it in Alien, I don't recall anything going after Call in Resurrection except the Newborn maybe, and he was a weirdo, and David clearly wandering around Xenomorph types in Covenant with no care, plus Isolation, like you posted that makes me think they don't really care about androids unless they see them as a direct threat.

That just makes me realize, they probably only give a poo poo about lifeforms they can impregnate or consume. I know the androids in Alien are like replicants in that they're more "grown" than "built" but considering David's whole plot in Covenant I'm assuming a facehugger can't impregnate an android and that androids probably don't taste good as a food source either?

Paging Xenomrph - Has an alien ever burst out of an android in the comics?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That’s a negative, and the comics generally hold to the “Aliens don’t really care about androids, unless they get in the way or are a physical threat, then all bets are off”.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't read all the comics, but from what I remember, they will rip androids to pieces just because they're there--except for that special android who looks, smells, and moves like a xenormorph.

(That said: in a lot of these comics, humans have imprisoned xenomorphs so they can study and harvest them, so these androids are invading their hive just by being there.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All this talk about this David character is reminding me I need to watch Prometheus and Alien Covenant.

I just haven't really watched any new movies in years, and since I consider only Alien to be the only great film in the entire bloated Alien/Alien vs. Predator franchise, I had no real interest in them. Doesn't seem like they wowed anybody, anyway.

Also dunno if any of you watch "fanedits" but when looking for the films all I found were fanedits of both Prometheus and Covenant. Dunno if that's a good sign or not. Did they need the touch-ups?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

All this talk about this David character is reminding me I need to watch Prometheus and Alien Covenant.

I just haven't really watched any new movies in years, and since I consider only Alien to be the only great film in the entire bloated Alien/Alien vs. Predator franchise, I had no real interest in them. Doesn't seem like they wowed anybody, anyway.

Also dunno if any of you watch "fanedits" but when looking for the films all I found were fanedits of both Prometheus and Covenant. Dunno if that's a good sign or not. Did they need the touch-ups?

Not really, just nerds mad at characters not acting like rational robots playing a TTRPG campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would like a fan edit of Prometheus where it adds back the deleted scenes because I think they do help the film. But I have no interest in any that preserve “””””the canon”””” or “my head canon” poo poo.

I love ridley’s vision.