Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I don't have to boycott Toyota for giving money to the chuds I can just continue to boycott them because literally every single car that they make that isn't a 4x4 has at least one counterpart in the Honda/Subaru/Mazda stables that is exponentially more desirable. Or a Bimmer in the case of the Supra.

hell even the BRZ just implicitly gets more respect than the 86 and they're the exact same car (to say nothing of the FRS, goddamn. Talk about losing like $4k in value vs your identical twin all because Toyota insisted it needed to carry a "Scion" badge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I see a fuckton of 86/BRZ/FRS on the road I have no idea what you are smoking and honestly a lot of Supras too for the meh product that it is.

Why would people be buying 2020/2021 86's though when the second generation has been announced with a whole boatload of improvements along with it being expected to be coming for a while before it was official?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What are you talking about, the Scion brand is synonymous with racing pedigree :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What are you talking about, the Scion brand is synonymous with racing pedigree :colbert:

gonna race my tC against your xB to taco bell

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheBacon posted:

I see a fuckton of 86/BRZ/FRS on the road I have no idea what you are smoking and honestly a lot of Supras too for the meh product that it is.

Why would people be buying 2020/2021 86's though when the second generation has been announced with a whole boatload of improvements along with it being expected to be coming for a while before it was official?

they aren't selling any 2021s, they simply kept selling the 2020 model until they ran out of inventory like a month or two ago

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BraveUlysses posted:

they aren't selling any 2021s, they simply kept selling the 2020 model until they ran out of inventory like a month or two ago

This even better helps make my point! Lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

they're the sort of person who bought into the idea that Miatas were for gay dudes to the point that they'll buy an objectively worse car because no homo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What if GTI but smol?

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/polo-gti/203827/2021-volkswagen-polo-gti-revealed-ford-fiesta-st-rival-gets-a-makeover

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ok Comboomer posted:

they're the sort of person who bought into the idea that Miatas were for gay dudes to the point that they'll buy an objectively worse car because no homo
Cant put louvers on a miata. :colbert:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh nm I guess you can keep buying miatas.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
I traded in my 2014 FiST for 500 less than I paid for it 5 years ago. So long hot hatch bros.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Nevermind

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 2, 2021

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The RS got some Mountune upgrades. New triple pass radiator and intercooler. The intercooler is thicc!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Korbin posted:

I traded in my 2014 FiST for 500 less than I paid for it 5 years ago. So long hot hatch bros.

I recently traded my Si coupe—okay it’s not a hatch, but it handled like a hotty—for 10k after buying it for 13 and putting 30k miles on it.

Of course I got screwed on the final price on the new car, but seeing that trade in value made me feel like Donny Deals

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Deviant posted:

stop talking about teslas

or the weird tesla defenders will log on

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You're a whole page late. Good job.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You're a whole page late. Good job.

thank you that helps a lot

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I took the FiST for its first long haul journey and had everyone I know drive it. We: got stuck in some sand, roasted the tires, and found the painful reality of 5 mph traffic on 75 south. My clutch leg is sore.

All in all, it performed admirably. Passed quite a few incorrigibles on the freeway that refused to leave the left lane. My old man was suitably impressed, and that alone made me smile.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Passed the 1600km break in point on my GTI on the highway and immediately went WOT. It's good. Am I supposed to get an oil change after the break in? I don't think the manual says to but I know some VW forum guys say yes.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

prom candy posted:

Passed the 1600km break in point on my GTI on the highway and immediately went WOT. It's good. Am I supposed to get an oil change after the break in? I don't think the manual says to but I know some VW forum guys say yes.

I would. I mean, wouldn't hurt and you're out the cost of an oil change.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's a holdover from back in the day when a new engine would dump out a few grams of metal as it wore in, which they don't now - but if it makes you feel better, it's cheap peace of mind and won't hurt anything.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Huge_Midget posted:

The RS got some Mountune upgrades. New triple pass radiator and intercooler. The intercooler is thicc!

How bad is the stock IC on the Focus RS? On the ST it's one of the first things you want to do if you're thinking about tuning as it's so easy to get to and the stock one is so mediocre.

Only hiccup in getting the front fascia off on mine was the fact that whoever put the front license plate holder on managed to blind rivet straight through not only the license plate and fascia but also the plastic bumper underneath- had to drill out the rivets lol

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

prom candy posted:

I changed mine at 1000 miles and didn't notice anything in the oil or on the filter. Doesn't hurt to do anyway and the oil change on these cars is insanely easy.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

How bad is the stock IC on the Focus RS? On the ST it's one of the first things you want to do if you're thinking about tuning as it's so easy to get to and the stock one is so mediocre.

Only hiccup in getting the front fascia off on mine was the fact that whoever put the front license plate holder on managed to blind rivet straight through not only the license plate and fascia but also the plastic bumper underneath- had to drill out the rivets lol

The stock intercooler is actually pretty good. It’s a parts bin part from one of the Euro models of the Transit, and is apparently efficient enough at the stock power levels that Ford puts a blanking plate piece of thick vinyl over one side of the intercooler to prevent condensation buildup in extremely humid climates. It’s definitely one of the largest factory intercoolers I’ve seen on any passenger car. It’s a tube and fin design with plastic end tanks though so it is prone to heat soaking, while the new Mountune intercooler is a bar and plate design with cast aluminum end tanks. Lots of RS owners run the stock intercooler without the blanking plate and that’s good for ~400 horsepower at the crank.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is a 10th Gen Civic Sport a hot hatch? Warm hatch? Well, regardless, it’s currently the #1 contender because that transmission + engine combo is excellent and so easy to live with

I got stuck in like 25 minutes of stop+go just marveling at how good the brake hold was vs everybody else

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

hot hatch is a state of mind

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

hot hatch is a state of mind

I mean, it’s definitely no GTI

but at least the running costs seem way lower, and nobody’s telling me poo poo like “you should include space in your budget for when the water pump dies, and also maybe the turbocharger”

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Look in to the AC issues.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Look in to the AC issues.

The one I’m looking at just got the recall service done, but yeah, my roommate gave me the heads up.

Tbh, it’s not *that much cheaper than the GTIs I was looking at, but it just seems like it’d be much cheaper to run for the next 2-3 years

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Hhhmm, JB4 tune coming for Mazda turbos:

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-tuner-for-mazda?variant=37638730449070

Really want to test drive the hatchback, but really limited availability. What I do see though seems like good pricing for what you get.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 7, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is a 10th Gen Civic Sport a hot hatch? Warm hatch? Well, regardless, it’s currently the #1 contender because that transmission + engine combo is excellent and so easy to live with

I got stuck in like 25 minutes of stop+go just marveling at how good the brake hold was vs everybody else

I have a 2020 6spd Sport Hatch and I loving love it and can't wait to run the warranty down so I can flash it. I know the styling is contentious but I love it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have a 2020 6spd Sport Hatch and I loving love it and can't wait to run the warranty down so I can flash it. I know the styling is contentious but I love it.

wanna put a gundam sticker on that boot

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

This is the best thing you could ever do to a Civic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

This is the best thing you could ever do to a Civic.

the 9th gen Civic has a mini HDMI in the center console for you to run what-have-you through the lovely entertainment unit screen

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can tune the 1.5T to pretty respectable numbers. The oil dilution issue was somewhat scary to me, they claimed they fixed it with an ECU update but there was a lot of talk about how short trips and cold weather were bad for that engine and I do a lot of both. AFAIK it's Honda's first turbo engine so the idea that you're getting Honda super reliability may not line up if there's some sort of issue down the road. But they've been selling them since 2016, so they're probably fine.

I never drove the hatch but the clutch in the Si was extremely livable and the stock shifting was pretty solid. The infotainment loving sucks in those cars though. Slow and crashy, rear view camera sucks and gets filthy immediately in wet weather, lanewatch is a stupid gimmick. The whole "no volume knob" controversy was a red herring because the real issue is that the entire system is garbage.

I traded my 10th gen Si for my GTI and the GTI is a better car in pretty much every way. The Si felt slightly more planted in turns, that's about the only thing that you could say was better about it and even that's debatable because it came at the expense of daily driving comfort.

Also gently caress what anyone says the 10th gen civics look cool.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s this about GTIs and setting aside money for scheduled blow ups? Also savagegeese just did a video on the Mk. 8 a few days ago: https://youtube.com/watch?v=DKPALLEVzEs

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

prom candy posted:

AFAIK it's Honda's first turbo engine

In modern times sure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

prom candy posted:

AFAIK it's Honda's first turbo engine so the idea that you're getting Honda super reliability may not line up if there's some sort of issue down the road. But they've been selling them since 2016, so they're probably fine.

RDX in 2007 was the first modern Honda turbo in the US.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Warbird posted:

What’s this about GTIs and setting aside money for scheduled blow ups? Also savagegeese just did a video on the Mk. 8 a few days ago: https://youtube.com/watch?v=DKPALLEVzEs

The EA888 is a pretty reliable engine these days but there's still things like turbos randomly letting go. I don't think failure rates are higher than any other turbo engine but it still happens. The expected things you will definitely have to replace before 100k are the waterpump and the pcv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Styles Bitchley posted:

Hhhmm, JB4 tune coming for Mazda turbos:

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-tuner-for-mazda?variant=37638730449070

Really want to test drive the hatchback, but really limited availability. What I do see though seems like good pricing for what you get.

I'm also big hot for the 2.5T and this is making it easier to not think about other more powerful cars in the class, but:

vw pls bring this across the pond, thanks and amen :pray: