Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory MoviesAnywhere code: 79ZYSE9FHBRSRU8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Code is coming up as invalid. Possibly taken already?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

RichterIX posted:

I don't usually bitch very much about disc packaging but I got the LotR 4k set in the mail yesterday and did they intentionally make these disc spindles as shallow as humanly possible? None of the discs are damaged but not a single one was seated when I opened the box, and at least one is loose every time I open it.

This keeps happening to my various multi-disc sets. My 30 Rock is lousy w the issue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't know if that's better or worse than the steelbook cases Mill Creek uses for Ultraman. Those discs are held so firmly I always worry that the discs will snap before they come off the thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Excellent. I mean, the majority of it wouldn't necessarily be called reference disc material because it takes place in the bus and in elevator shafts and whatnot. But it looks the best it's ever looked by far, AND when you do get the massive explosions like the bus driver getting killed at the beginning or the house explosion or the stuff towards the end, it's absolutely beautiful. Practical explosions with HDR are like half the reason to get into the format, I can't get enough of that poo poo.

Watched last night, can confirm.

Since this makes you the resident expert on UHD action movies, what are the must haves?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Criterion sale is live on BN

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Tim Whatley posted:

Arrow Sale live on Diabolik and Arrow’s site depending on your region.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
loving hell, I'm not in a position to spend any money right now but there's so much I want from both sales :mad:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm abstaining from Arrow since I got plenty from their Arrow sale in Easter. Criterion's BN sale has really kept my eye on the prize since there's only, like, two a year.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I just bought all the Kinji Fukasaku stuff oops

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

loving hell, I'm not in a position to spend any money right now but there's so much I want from both sales :mad:

:same:

Also in an hour VinSyn comes back online so I can see what trash July has in store for me

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

Also in an hour VinSyn comes back online so I can see what trash July has in store for me

Because of Partners Month, it should be a bigger July slate than expected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Watched last night, can confirm.

Since this makes you the resident expert on UHD action movies, what are the must haves?

Bad Boys, Backdraft, Predator 2, Air Force One, Total Recall, Batman/Batman Returns, Rambo Part 2, Universal Soldier and Beverly Hills Cop are all 80's/90's action movies that have that sense of tangibility you only get from stuff made before CGI completely took over(Air Force One of course has that notorious plane crash scene but that's about it). Several of those are even movies that I was kinda luke warm on, like Backdraft, but UHD brought them to a whole new level that made me appreciate them a lot more.

I was especially impressed by Bad Boys. There's a ton of style that comes from the L.A. setting that pops much more on UHD than any other format I've seen the movie on.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Basebf555 posted:

I was especially impressed by Bad Boys. There's a ton of style that comes from the L.A. setting that pops much more on UHD than any other format I've seen the movie on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sorry Sorry I didn't proof read my post like I usually do. I'm swamped at work today. I'll leave it for posterity.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Alright alright, Kino Lorber you won out in the end. Got Atomic Cafe and also those two silent film collections, Pioneers: African-American and Women Filmmakers. I overlooked those the first time browsing because I was just looking for specific titles I recognized.

Another $109 spent! :shepspends:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Sorry Sorry I didn't proof read my post like I usually do. I'm swamped at work today. I'll leave it for posterity.

Why don't you have the Mad Max UHD yet? It's like $15 from Kino right now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Why don't you have the Mad Max UHD yet? It's like $15 from Kino right now.

I think, if I'm being honest, I just don't like the movie very much? Now, if there was a Road Warrior UHD I'd absolutely have gone out of my way to buy that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Basebf555 posted:

I think, if I'm being honest, I just don't like the movie very much? Now, if there was a Road Warrior UHD I'd absolutely have gone out of my way to buy that.

I think the first Mad Max benefits from a sequel halo in a big way. It's Batman Begins-level.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Considering some Criterion titles, but I'm already pretty full up. Same w/ Arrow, I've just been focusing on their UHDs as they come out.

But I still grabbed Hellraiser from DiabolikDVD. I have never seen it and only know it involves a cube and Pinhead.

I'm pretty pumped!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Is it though? Just hopped on and it seems like everything is standard MSRP currently.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It definitely was when I woke up. At least long enough for Amazon's spiders to index the sale since they're all 50% off on AMZ right now.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Considering some Criterion titles, but I'm already pretty full up. Same w/ Arrow, I've just been focusing on their UHDs as they come out.

But I still grabbed Hellraiser from DiabolikDVD. I have never seen it and only know it involves a cube and Pinhead.

I'm pretty pumped!

Original Hellraiser is almost unrecognizable compared to its litany of sequels. That is to say, it’s very good and a little Pinhead goes a long way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Boywhiz88 posted:

Is it though? Just hopped on and it seems like everything is standard MSRP currently.

I stopped in this morning and its definitely not happening in the store yet. And they haven't sent an email about it either. I'd guess it accidentally briefly went live on the website early

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
BN sale went live in the morning, prematurely, for a few hours, and got fixed before lunchtime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Splint Chesthair posted:

Original Hellraiser is almost unrecognizable compared to its litany of sequels. That is to say, it’s very good and a little Pinhead goes a long way.

The 2nd is also super good, and it makes me sad they weren't able to do the ending to the original envisioned scale.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Franchescanado posted:

BN sale went live in the morning, prematurely, for a few hours, and got fixed before lunchtime.

Is the sale going on today? If so I’ll stop by B&N on my way home.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hellraiser 2 is aaaaabsolutely vile and unquestionably my favorite in the series. :hellyeah:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It has one of my favorite lines in all of cinema history.

”To think I hesitated.”

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Is the sale going on today? If so I’ll stop by B&N on my way home.

Starts tomorrow officially, I believe.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I love Hellraiser 1 and 2, and I love the score that Christopher Young ended up doing for the first film, but a huge part of me really wants the original score with Coil that Clive Barker intended.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
There's a :goon: going on on the B&N site so I can't see it right now. Does anyone know if there's a certain amount you can spend to get free shipping?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I believe BN is $35 free ship

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I grabbed Barry Lyndon, In the Heat of the NIght, and Anatomy of a Murder from Best Buy, pricematched B&N.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hoping to get F for Fake, the Great Escape, and Ghost Dog but I can’t get to B&N until after work.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grabbed In the Heat of the Night, Yojimbo & Sanjuro, and Cronos. I could have gone and picked them up, except the local one doesn’t have ITHOTN, so I said gently caress it and shipped them.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

In The Heat of the Night is such a good flick. I watched it for the first time a couple months back and was blown away. I always remembered the tv series as a kid and just never really connected the dots I guess. Killer soundtrack too, done by Quincy Jones. Immediately bought a copy of it on vinyl after I was done watching it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is talking about In The Heat Of The Night this week, a movie that has not been on my radar at all. If it’s at the store this month, I guess I’ll have to grab it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
In The Heat of the Night was so timely that most of the film couldn't be shot in the actual south because there was a legitimate danger to the production from the Klan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

In The Heat of the Night was so timely that most of the film couldn't be shot in the actual south because there was a legitimate danger to the production from the Klan.

I first saw it in a film class. Can't remember what state they shot it in, but it was winter and pretty cold outside so the actors had to speak with ice in their mouths so that their breath wouldn't be visible.