Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

CoolCab posted:

it wasn't an accident, which is really the wildest part. someone went "you know what i want to do, is make GPUs impossible to buy." and they did it!

Chia is increasing the prices on hard drives so if you're looking into one because you're running out of space or just want more space I suggest you buy sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Collateral Damage posted:

Basically the Bitcoin "mining payload" is pretty small, so you just need to crunch the hashing algorithm as fast as possible - a mathematically simple operation which is exactly what ASICs excel at.

Ethereum's payload is much, much larger and can't be stored in the limited memory of your typical ASIC. You need external memory, which limits how fast you can crunch the number. GPUs are ideal for Ethereum not necessarily for the speed of the GPUs themselves, but because they're mated to very fast VRAM.

Yeah the Etherium hashing is largely memory-bandwidth-limited.

Which is why you probably don't want to get a used mining card. The actual GPU will be fine but the RAM will have been run very very hard. That's especially true because the 30-series cards aren't exactly the best about properly cooling the RAM even at stock clocks, particularly the 3080 and 3090 cards which have GDDR6x.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in particular the PCB of the 3090 is unusual in that it has vram on the back (because it has so much of it). a bunch of the designs, particularly the partner's designs, didn't cool that back VRAM properly.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
I'm developing a bit of a pet theory that the hardware ASIC-bitcoin-miner space is pretty cyberpunk. especially if things have moved away from companies selling ASICs (which as of a few years ago already seemed to be a bit of a joke since they'd be outdated quickly, and the company making them would just mine with them too).

if it's a bunch of folks with some unusual supply chain, not making products for consumers or for traditional businesses, and a lot of it is "well I know a guy who does ASICs, a guy with a bunch of warehouse space and cheap power, and a guy who can get me some factory time for a run"... I mean that sounds pretty cyberpunky.

if it's not like that, then oh well

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ColTim posted:

if it's a bunch of folks with some unusual supply chain, not making products for consumers or for traditional businesses, and a lot of it is "well I know a guy who does ASICs, a guy with a bunch of warehouse space and cheap power, and a guy who can get me some factory time for a run"... I mean that sounds pretty cyberpunky.

This is basically how all small electronics projects are done in China already.

It's also how they're done in the US, in that the US company sends a guy to China to find all the other people needed.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Damnit gently caress this greenwashed bullshit but with bitcoin!

And guess what the end of a human civilization is just a profit opportunity!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

it wasn't an accident, which is really the wildest part. someone went "you know what i want to do, is make GPUs impossible to buy." and they did it!

It's all a plot by nVidia, and we fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

i ,too, am deeply resentful when other people achieve even a modicum of success.

i sure hope no one with a good reading voice starts making fun of you and posting it here for people to laugh at. that would be so terrible.

I imagine being this humorless, you're not laughing much.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Robinhood's S-1 filing dropped if you want some deets on the state of crypto and consumer investment.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Fame Douglas posted:

I imagine being this humorless, you're not laughing much.

https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/stop-stealing-my-posts

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011
Just... wow

https://youtu.be/Kv6ne6VQCZI

Apparently there's CS:GO clans running massive day-one crypto pump & dumps (or 'rug pulls') pretty much constantly now? How is this not illegal? How many more bagholders can there be?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You're trying to own the wrong dude. He's not the one complaining about stolen posts

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sinecure posted:

How is this not illegal? How many more bagholders can there be?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/stablecoin-insurance-firm-bridge-mutual-to-protect-against-possible-tether-depegging

While the value of stablecoins like Tether (USDT) and USD Coin (USDC) is designed to be pegged to another asset, such as the U.S. dollar, the crypto industry has fretted for years about the possibility of a major depegging — especially amid U.S. regulatory concerns about Tether, which has a current market capitalization of over $63 billion.

Now one company intends to provide discretionary coverage for investors against that scenario — and Tether itself is backing the play.

Bridge Mutual aims to mitigate the risk of loss of funds resulting from hacked or exploited smart contracts, exchange hacks or theft, price crashes in stablecoins, and other digital asset vulnerabilities.

Stablecoin insurance is uncomplicated in principle. If a stablecoin drops beneath its peg for a set period of time, the policyholder can make a claim. Oracles check the current price of the stablecoin and then pay the investor back the overall difference between the current price and the peg — but in a different stablecoin.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Soo... if Tether crashes, and thus drags all the stablecoins down with it, I get nothing?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Lone Badger posted:

Soo... if Tether crashes, and thus drags all the stablecoins down with it, I get nothing?

Inshallah

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

spunkshui posted:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/stablecoin-insurance-firm-bridge-mutual-to-protect-against-possible-tether-depegging

While the value of stablecoins like Tether (USDT) and USD Coin (USDC) is designed to be pegged to another asset, such as the U.S. dollar, the crypto industry has fretted for years about the possibility of a major depegging — especially amid U.S. regulatory concerns about Tether, which has a current market capitalization of over $63 billion.

Now one company intends to provide discretionary coverage for investors against that scenario — and Tether itself is backing the play.

Bridge Mutual aims to mitigate the risk of loss of funds resulting from hacked or exploited smart contracts, exchange hacks or theft, price crashes in stablecoins, and other digital asset vulnerabilities.

Stablecoin insurance is uncomplicated in principle. If a stablecoin drops beneath its peg for a set period of time, the policyholder can make a claim. Oracles check the current price of the stablecoin and then pay the investor back the overall difference between the current price and the peg — but in a different stablecoin.
Naturally, the insurers will issue their own stablecoins, I assume?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Nessus posted:

Naturally, the insurers will issue their own stablecoins, I assume?

Well what better to insure tether with than tether?

I'm sure this orouboros can keep going forever if we just keep running away from it faster.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Are we going to get USDTT? The Tethered Tether that is pegged 1:1 to regular USDT?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Well what better to insure tether with than tether?

I'm sure this orouboros can keep going forever if we just keep running away from it faster.

a cool way to trick someone into holding the bag for you is to put your bag inside of another bag and then the person cant see the original stinky bag

in the real world this is sometimes called "toxic assets" and it caused a heck of a kerfuffle in 2008!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ad by Khad posted:

a cool way to trick someone into holding the bag for you is to put your bag inside of another bag and then the person cant see the original stinky bag

in the real world this is sometimes called "toxic assets" and it caused a heck of a kerfuffle in 2008!
1 Bitcoin Bag = 1 Bitcoin

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Orvin posted:

Are we going to get USDTT? The Tethered Tether that is pegged 1:1 to regular USDT?
And then you can peg USDT to USDTT.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ad by Khad posted:

Bitcoin: pay no attention to my stinky bag

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
on the contrary, please pay me money for this perfectly normal bag, which i assure you does not have a stinky bag inside it

no chargebacks

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The funniest thing is that the cost of this insurance is... 34%/yr

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bitcoin is now banking but without the bank, without the security, and all the fees

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Sinecure posted:

Just... wow

Apparently there's CS:GO clans running massive day-one crypto pump & dumps (or 'rug pulls') pretty much constantly now? How is this not illegal? How many more bagholders can there be?

I don't watch videos but this was a fun article about the same thing

https://sea.mashable.com/tech/16356/inside-the-shady-world-of-influencers-promoting-cryptocurrency

quote:

"I did get sponsored by a loving crypto today," Ross says during this stream. "They're paying me a lot of loving money to do this poo poo. It's, like, three shout outs in one hour so I'm going to loving do it."

"Not just that," he continued. "I get to give out US$20,000 of the coin to you guys. It's a lot of loving money."

quote:

However, the most revealing part of the particular instance is what Ross would go on to say about MILF Token on his stream just three weeks later.

"By the way, that MILF Token poo poo I did a while back? I already told you guys don't buy that poo poo," Ross said to his fans between laughter. "I got paid a bag to do that poo poo. Like, I don't give a gently caress. I hope none of you guys actually bought it."

time to incarcerate a ross again

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sinecure posted:

Just... wow

I actually watched that all the way through - it's nicely done. The level of stupidity and grift going on rivals the Republican party and the post-election scamming Trump was doing.

Also, at this point I just hear "influencer" as a pejorative.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

That was a fascinating video and I wonder if things like this are just going to speed along the regulation of crypto and the exchanges, much like Binance here in the UK.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Oh wow, my (test) transaction of 3$ I started last week finally went through! I set the fees higher and higher and last night with 60 "satoshi per byte" it worked which came out to a ~2$ fee. Glad to see it's still the fastest and freest way to transfer money. Sure, I got another transaction still in limbo where I can't seem to raise the fees, but I'm sure I can google that within an hour.

The remaining 12$ accumulated from several addresses will probably remain there, as my max fee I can set to transfer everything is 19 satoshi per byte which comes out to 10.60$. So If my math isn't totally wrong, to transfer those 12$ I'd have to pay ~35$ in fees.

I think I have to create a new wallet now that doesn't know about the addresses with the small amounts so I can (try to) transfer the ~150$ without paying >35$ in fees.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

You'll be able to appreciate the irony here more than most then.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Vesi posted:

I don't watch videos but this was a fun article about the same thing

https://sea.mashable.com/tech/16356/inside-the-shady-world-of-influencers-promoting-cryptocurrency

time to incarcerate a ross again

God these guys have no shame

You guys actually bought that poo poo I told you to buy? LUUUULZ

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

RabbitWizard posted:

I think I have to create a new wallet now that doesn't know about the addresses with the small amounts so I can (try to) transfer the ~150$ without paying >35$ in fees.

Are you using Electrum? You don’t need to create a new wallet then, you can specify which addresses to spend from and ignore the small amounts

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
just lol if you don't act on financial advice from CS:GO players

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The CSGO thing is just another example of the crypto economy speedrunning financial regulations of the last 100 years. The best part is that the 18 year old kids participating in the pump have no idea that they are actually breaking the law and may lose their main careers as well as the proceeds of the crime.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CS:GO streamers were all in on pumping gambling sites for a while until Valve locked down skin transfers, even using special private versions of the sites on stream where they almost always "won" big. So this isn't the first time they've been active participants in scamming their viewers.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Sashimi posted:

just lol if you don't act on financial advice from CS:GO players

the internet Humanity was a mistake

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Orvin posted:

usdTTy

USDT Satoshi’s Vision Cash

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

drk posted:

The funniest thing is that the cost of this insurance is... 34%/yr

Oh my god they hired an actual expert to do their risk assessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The real money is laundering money to russians with pubg aimbots :smugbert: