Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Harvey TWH posted:

(poo poo I Want to Figure Out: how to send info to Alec besides hoping it gets found in a comment...)

Are you gonna recommend barbers?

As a fellow chubby guy who let his hair grow out during quarantine I feel an intervention is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Meanwhile I just learned that Tommy Emmanuel, the guy I occasionally watch fingerbang an acoustic on YT, has a virtuoso brother
Phil Emmanuel was just as amazing as his brother. He's probably my Dad's favorite musician for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M94V5DDQwrg

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Harvey TWH posted:

Sounds like someone just saw the new Technology Connections video on hurricane lamps.

I was also like "huh, they must have just watched the same video I did"

In Technology Connections related poo poo I just figured out: up until he did a video about it, i absolutely thought he was working in front of a green screen. In retrospect i have no idea why

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

a kitten posted:

In Technology Connections related poo poo I just figured out: up until he did a video about it, i absolutely thought he was working in front of a green screen. In retrospect i have no idea why

evened out light sources maybe? idk i havent seen the vids, but that often looks "fake"

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

rydiafan posted:

Are you gonna recommend barbers?

As a fellow chubby guy who let his hair grow out during quarantine I feel an intervention is in order.

Nah, just information I might be able to pull off a source at my mom's house when I visit later in the summer, but which he could not find online. I think he's pulling the hair off pretty well, even if it is a pragmatic and not a stylistic choice, and I don't normally have short hair anyway so my perspective is not an inside one.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Harvey TWH posted:

Sounds like someone just saw the new Technology Connections video on hurricane lamps.

Correct
:D

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

fizzymercury posted:

Phil Emmanuel was just as amazing as his brother. He's probably my Dad's favorite musician for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M94V5DDQwrg

That video is just delightful!

Also, I didn't know that Phil had died :(

(I was curious about your use of past tense, so I googled).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

a kitten posted:

The shelving has it's own light sources and he doesn't cast a noticeable shadow on them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesus gently caress :negative:

String beans? They're just immature beans in the pod. (I mean I obviously knew it was a pod but I thought it was a type of bean that just stayed real small.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wasabi the J posted:

The shelving has it's own light sources and he doesn't cast a noticeable shadow on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plbB42EUIUU

He does a whole video on the set.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Ballad of Casey Jones is about a real person.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dip Viscous posted:

:monocle:

I don't remember hearing that before either.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dip Viscous posted:

I just figured out that The Ballad Of Chasey Lane was called that because of another song.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Welp. Another song reference I just found out.

I've heard Tom Lehrer's Bright College Days for years and years and year, since high school:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl3mRjydcPw

I was just listening to random barbershop quartet stuff on youtube, and heard this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ8LrgjJolk

...so, it turns out, Lehrer's song is more or less a direct parody.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks to the current marketing blitz surrounding the 30th anniversary of Metallica's black album, I was reading about "Nothing Else Matters" and I only just now realized what seems to have been obvious to everyone else -- it's really just a straight-up love song. I think my brain always kind of skipped over the word "else" and assumed it was this really dark, depressed sort of thing. And it is a little bit dark, but only in the sense that it's a "can't wait to be back home with my girl" song. Not a "the world is pointless and I want to die" song.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think it was until he died that I realized that the 'Herb' in Peaches and Herb was not marijuana but the guy's actual name, Herb Fame.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/SanadeSweet/status/1410649022608597001?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fallout New Vegas has a paedophile sex-slave-trafficker literally named after Epstein's island.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Fallout New Vegas has a paedophile sex-slave-trafficker literally named after Epstein's island.

Care to elaborate?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

Care to elaborate?

Saint James.

e: Also his partner is a cop but IDK about that one; characters in FNV wear silly hats :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Jul 5, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I don't know why this never occurred to me today but I was today years old when I learned that domestic ducks are mallards. Or rather a subspecies of mallard.

Today I saw a cute gif of a white duck. I know white ducks are domestic ducks, but finally, looking at that duck I wondered "Wait. There are a lot of species of ducks. Which species is the domestic one?"

Never thought about it before today. It's weird.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wanna see a goose with the beethoven duck hair

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Watching Austin Powers for the billionth time and just now realized that Dr. Evil's cryo pod (that retracts as it gets colder) is supposed to be a testicle.

This is the only picture I could find, sorry for the curse.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

just learned TODAY that my girlfriend of four years practiced kung fu in a shaolin temple in China. i knew she took karate as a kid but gat dang what in the gently caress

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rainbow Knight posted:

just learned TODAY that my girlfriend of four years practiced kung fu in a shaolin temple in China. i knew she took karate as a kid but gat dang what in the gently caress

Cobra Kai. Never die.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I just figured out when someone else said it out loud that “Lipps, Inc.” (The group that made Funkytown) is a pun

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sean Connery was several years younger than Roger Moore when filming Never Say Never Again. I mean he was several years younger than Moore even when not filming the movie but anyway.

Dross posted:

I just figured out when someone else said it out loud that “Lipps, Inc.” (The group that made Funkytown) is a pun

gently caress

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Dross posted:

Until last year I thought that song was by the B-52's.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I thought "Funkytown" was two separate songs for a while. Let me explain: you don't often hear the song in its entirety unless you make a point of seeking it out. You usually hear a snippet from it, either the instrumental bit at the beginning or the chorus containing the title drop. Those two parts don't really sound a whole lot alike, so when I told someone I was looking for the song that goes [vocal recreation of the instrumental part] and was told, oh, that's "Funkytown," I was sure that the other person was mistaken. No, I know how "Funkytown" goes, it's [vocal recreation of the strings and whatnot in the chorus].

I don't remember when I finally heard the song in its entirety - this was way before you could pretty much pull up any song instantly, from anywhere you were - but I was like well I'll be damned, it was all "Funkytown" all along.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

I thought "Funkytown" was two separate songs for a while. Let me explain: you don't often hear the song in its entirety unless you make a point of seeking it out. You usually hear a snippet from it, either the instrumental bit at the beginning or the chorus containing the title drop. Those two parts don't really sound a whole lot alike, so when I told someone I was looking for the song that goes [vocal recreation of the instrumental part] and was told, oh, that's "Funkytown," I was sure that the other person was mistaken. No, I know how "Funkytown" goes, it's [vocal recreation of the strings and whatnot in the chorus].

I don't remember when I finally heard the song in its entirety - this was way before you could pretty much pull up any song instantly, from anywhere you were - but I was like well I'll be damned, it was all "Funkytown" all along.

same with jingle bells and dashing through the snow

e: wait that is two songs

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

same with jingle bells and dashing through the snow

e: wait that is two songs

You were right the first time, dashing through the snow is the start of the first verse of that song, jingle bells is the chorus

E:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Sean Connery was several years younger than Roger Moore when filming Never Say Never Again. I mean he was several years younger than Moore even when not filming the movie but anyway.

gently caress

Connery is just one of those dudes who looked old early. He played Indiana Jones' dad but he was only 12 years older than Harrison Ford.

Phy has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Jul 23, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phy posted:

Connery is just one of those dudes who looked old early.

Well he was bald so yeah.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Long time ago, but I had a similar experience with “Layla” by Derek and the Dominos for a long time. The piano section is so out of place and contrasting with the beginning of the song that when I was younger I’d just think they always played these two same songs back to back all the time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I thought "Funkytown" was two separate songs for a while.

Exact same. They would always have clips in ads for like disco compilation CDs or whatever, and never made the connection, I think until that epic Malcolm In the Middle episode where Hal rollerblades to Funkytown

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Long time ago, but I had a similar experience with “Layla” by Derek and the Dominos for a long time. The piano section is so out of place and contrasting with the beginning of the song that when I was younger I’d just think they always played these two same songs back to back all the time.

It essentially is two different songs, Clapton wrote the first movement and Gordon the second

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

My dad would play Eric Clapton Unplugged in the car all the time when I was young and I had no idea that Layla and Layla were the same song :eng99:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZV7akaSo0s

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Rainbow Knight posted:

MariusLecter posted:

Cobra Kai. Never die.

This is clearly more of an American Shaolin situation.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Same to both this and the Funkytown post. Also Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Splendid posted:

My dad would play Eric Clapton Unplugged in the car all the time when I was young and I had no idea that Layla and Layla were the same song :eng99:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZV7akaSo0s

Growing up, and getting into rock music, it took me years and years to understand that Clapton is considered a rock god, when all I ever heard from him was this and other sorta pop on the radio. An arsehole friend of mine used to give me poo poo for not knowing how big a deal Clapton is. How was I supposed to know, when all the radio played was boring crap like this?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=x11NA63gLDM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JxPj3GAYYZ0

The first time I heard the original Layla, I got it. It's fantastic! All they ever played on my parents' radio was that stupid acoustic version :(

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hyperlynx posted:

Growing up, and getting into rock music, it took me years and years to understand that Clapton is considered a rock god, when all I ever heard from him was this and other sorta pop on the radio. An arsehole friend of mine used to give me poo poo for not knowing how big a deal Clapton is. How was I supposed to know, when all the radio played was boring crap like this?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=x11NA63gLDM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JxPj3GAYYZ0

The first time I heard the original Layla, I got it. It's fantastic! All they ever played on my parents' radio was that stupid acoustic version :(

No, you were right the first time.